Food, Beautiful Food

by Meg on September 29, 2011

Hello sweetums! Smile How was everyone’s Thursday? I definitely can’t complain about my day! For a day that is usually packed with 6 hours of class non-stop, I was let out an entire hour early from class numero one and a half hour early from the last class of the day! Don’t you love when that happens? Smile It made me even more confused about which day it was though; once again I am confused and thinking it is Friday?? Let’s face it, I have been messed up all week.

I am so grateful for everyone’s comments on last night’s post Smile I even received a suggestion for a marinade that I will be trying very, very soon! Smile I love being able to talk about food with all of you fellow food lovers out there Smile Conversations really are endless when it comes to food…

So many things have to do with and revolve around food (not to mention all of my classes have to do with food). Isn’t it wonderful?

Food is so complex.

Conversations about food can range anywhere from favourite types, flavours, preparation methods, serving suggestions, nutritive value, and so on.

During the first half of my day, I learnt how to aid clients in making lifestyle changes regarding their nutrition. It is necessary that RD’s know how to create a meal plan or food goals that are possible for the client to achieve. The meal plan or goals implemented must involve the client and be congruent with their lifestyle and preferences.

During the last part of my day, I learnt about canning, blanching, and the purposes of each.

Both classes are Foods & Nutrition classes and involve some aspect of food, but at the same time are incredibly different from one another. Isn’t it fascinating how complex food actually is? And those were just a few examples!

Today, I wanted to talk about the beauty of food; a topic I find highly neglected when it comes to food Smile

So many of us, myself included, get caught up in our daily routines and forget to actually appreciate the food going into our mouths Smile What makes us appreciate food even more? It’s beauty! At least I think so…

Personally, I think food even tastes better when it is presented in a unique or eye-pleasing way Smile Which is what inspired my breakfast this morning…

Instead of plopping some yogurt in a bowl, sprinkling some oats on top, and topping it off with a few farmer’s market fresh raspberries, I created this lovely little number Smile

foodbeautifulfood 001

Of course any combination of fruit, yogurt, and granola is fab, but doesn’t presentation give it that extra something? Beautiful.

foodbeautifulfood 005

Raspberry & Yogurt Parfait

- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt mixed with 1 tsp sugar-free DaVinci white chocolate syrup

- 1/2 cup rolled oats

- 1 cup fresh raspberries

Layer all ingredients: yogurt, raspberries, oats, and so on…

Yes, this was definitely a beautiful breakfast, but the wine glass made it a little hard for me to scrape out every last smudge of yogurt with my finger Winking smile But, I managed; of course.

foodbeautifulfood 011

The parfait, along with a plate of scrambled eggs, fuelled my morning workout Smile My legs were jelly (and still are!) after this sweat sesh!

I warmed up with 2 –3 sets of 15 – 20 reps of leg extensions before starting the actual workout…

Exercise Sets Reps
Triset 1
Leg press (close) 3 10, 8, 6 (increasing weight)
Leg press (wide) 3 10, 8, 6 (increasing weight)
Stability ball plank w/ toe taps 3 12 each leg
Triset 2
Hack squat 3 12, 10, 8 (increasing weight)
Jump squat 3 failure
Stability ball plank w/ knee tuck 3 12 each leg
Stability ball crunch 3 15
Triset 3
Leg extensions 3 10, 8, 6 (increasing weight)
Lateral bench hop overs 3 10 each side
V sit ups 3 15
Triset 4
Hip abduction machine 3 12, 10, 8 (increasing weight)
Calf raises 3 20
Wall sit 3 failure

This had me sweating Smile If I don’t have enough time, I skip triset 4, but today I didn’t have class until 11:30, so I was able to do the entire workout. This workout was adapted from Naomi’s Quad Focused workout. It’s pretty much the exact same as the one she shared, but I changed an exercise or two and the number of reps/sets.

For the past month or so, I have been trying to consume whole foods after my workouts rather than a liquid meal such as my all time favourite go-to shake, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, milk, and a banana. I have been enjoying these types of post-workout meals much better (containing whole foods) than downing a shake within a few seconds. However, today I was feeling like a change and the luscious mango in my fridge was so tempting to make a shake with… I combined:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder

1/2 cup almond milk

mango

banana

ice

blended it all up and had my shake immediately after my workout. Unfortunately, it did nothing for me. It tasted fine, but I realized I missed having actual food, so from now on I know what I prefer and will continue with an actual meal after my workouts rather than a shake Smile Shakes are nice if you are in a rush, travelling, etc. but since I have the time and am able to prepare an actual post-workout meal for myself I will continue to do so Smile It’s funny how I used to love protein shakes last year, but now would rather have food after a workout Smile

After my workout, I found myself roaming a mall… How did that happen? And where else was I, but the health food store! I had never been in this store before, but to my surprise I found a ton of my favourite things here, so now I know where to go when I run out of certain gluten free flours, grains, etc.

IMG-20110929-00294

I have been on the search for whole wheat pastry flour all summer and was unsuccessful, until now Winking smile

IMG-20110929-00295

After spending oodles of time in here and creeping the cashiers out with my stealthy picture taking, I went over to the Dollar Store and purchased an umbrella for myself and a ton of decorations for the Homecoming float which is being decorated tomorrow! Smile

Once again, my lunch filled my classroom with a wonderful aroma and all heads turned to see me chowing down on my chicken from last night, broccoli, and a mixture of roasted butternut squash and sweet potato Smile Don’t worry, my classmates aren’t distracted from my chewing, it’s definitely the wonderful smells that are distracting Smile I try to be very quiet while eating in class Winking smile However, I may drop a spoon once in a while… Oops!

Supper was another beauty of a meal and it would be an absolute crime if I didn’t share it with you Smile It was incredibly simple, so it’s really not even a recipe, but let’s just say it is Smile

I used the scallopini and the marinade I shared with you last night, and created a mouth watering noodle bowl with a wonderful sauce Smile

foodbeautifulfood 017

Now tell me that isn’t some beautiful food. I know, you can’t.

Spicy Almond Scallopini and Broccoli over Vermicelli

6 oz. scallopini (or meat of choice) marinated and cooked in my quick-stir fry sauce

1 cup broccoli, steamed

1 cup brown rice vermicelli

1/2 cup almond milk

1 Tbsp natural almond butter

Place noodles in a bowl
Mix in almond butter and milk
Top with vegetables and meat
Heat and serve

foodbeautifulfood 020

The sauce was extremely simple, but incredibly tasty! I definitely made sure that there were no remains once I was done with this meal Winking smile

I hope I inspired all of you to take a longer look at your food tomorrow and the days to come Smile Food is beautiful and should be appreciated every day Smile

Food makes us beautiful, too! Which is what my post is about tomorrow… Winking smile

What was the most beautiful thing you ate today?
Do you put time into the presentation of your meals?
Almond butter or peanut butter? Pick one!

Good night friends! I just realized it’s already after 10!

xoxoxo

Lynne Doll September 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM

You always find something to say that makes me laugh! :D
Thank you! ;)
Love you,
Mom
xoxoxoxoxo

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:36 AM

maybe that’s my goal ;)

Molly (@simplyeating) September 30, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I went to the Covent Market (Every Thursday tradition) today and thought of you. Ironically I bought Bob Red’s Mill “Whole Wheat Blueberry Oatmeal Scone Mix” that was onsale for two dollars (Originally 7)! I filled my fridge with so many vegetables but now I am going home so I guess they will have to make the two hour trek home with me.

I have a mango just sitting on top of my fridge waiting to be made into something so I think I might try your smoothie idea. I had thought of that earlier in the week with peaches (I had beaches to be used up) but wasn’t sure if milk and those fruits went.. Hmm??

I made frozen soft serve banana in my magic bullet but it wasn’t what i expected- My bananas probably weren’t frozen enough so it wasn’t rich enough (Maybe I could have added protein powder?) You’ve made it before… any tricks/suggestions.

HAVE FUN DECORATING THE FLOAT :)

You might creep out the cashiers but I creep out the staff/cafeteria ladies when I bring huge bags of vegetables downstairs to cook in the micowave :)

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:31 AM

I wish you were there girl!!!!!! xo

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM

p.s. here is a great link for banana soft serve! I am thinking your banana was just not frozen enough like you said?? that would do it!

OR

Molly (@simplyeating) September 30, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Oops I forgot to answer the question:

My pumpkin chai tea that I topped with frothed (hot) milk and sprinkled cinnamon
YES I love get together meals when we are hosting- I enjoy ordering rackers based on sizes and shapes, displaying fruit in nice arrangements, cutting vegetables into proper sizes, piping icing onto cupcakes orderly… :)

Neither (I am allergic to nuts) but I hope soon to be able to have almonds again (After my last test my sensitivity/allergy had gone down, but not enough for me to risk eating it)

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:30 AM

well I really hope you are able to have almonds, hun :) I was allergic to nuts too! but then grew out of the allergy… Almond butter is amazing. I hope you get to enjoy the experience!!!!

jenandberries September 30, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Hi Meg, thanks for commnting on my blog! I love yours, can’t believe I’ve not come accross it til now, oops! I try to put presentation into meals as it just makes theexperience that tad more enjoyable but today for example, my breakfast was a bowl of slop (not literally haha). Your classes sound sooo interesting and its great that your so passionate about your future career :D A wine glass is the best idea ever, pure class! I need to try eating my salads in one from now on!!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:28 AM

I love your blog too <3 :) Thank you for stopping by! A salad in the wine glass would look fab :D try margarita glasses too! I love using those too :)

Alexandra September 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Mango is the best! I’ve been buying frozen chunks for post workout smoothies and going through bags like it’s my job haha ;)
Prettiest thing I think I’m gonna eat today is a sweet potato smoothie–the color always makes me weak in the knees! I think presentation is so important for a tasty meal, and its always fun to make happy faces out of foods :D
And I choose peanut butter!! Mmmm :D
Happy Friday!!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Mmmmmmmm ok girl, I have to try your sweet potato smoothie recipe. I did pumpkin pie once and LOVED IT, but all I hear is how fab your sweet potato ones are ;) mustttt try <3

Emma September 30, 2011 at 6:14 AM

I like your dedication to getting every last bit of the yogurt!

I think food can be beautiful, especially in its natural, whole form. I mean, how great-looking is a bowl of fresh fruit?

I was an anthropology major, and I learned that food can be talked about even further in the way it fits into cultures and societies, symbolic meaning, etc. Super cool!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 6:26 AM

That’s so neat! :) Yes, we learn about different cultures too because we will be dealing with many different ethnicities in counselling!

radiomomrhetoric September 30, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I had to laugh-because I am also getting over my “jelly legs” from a SERIOUSLY painful night of power squats. OMGOSH. It was hard to do anything yesterday!

I love that you post your workouts-I love to lift-and and like to see what others are doing! AWESOME! I’ll follow along! :)

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 7:12 AM

yay another lover of lifting :) <3 can't wait to share more and become bloggy friends :D xoxo thanks for stopping by girl!

keepnthefaith September 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I love making my food pretty!! I am all about colors, so since I try to eat really colorful food, it makes such a beautiful picture to me :)
Love your workout girl. I am a weight lifting freak, but I dont belong to a gym so I have to stick to what I can do with my dumbbells. But I love the way it is changing my body. Eve my hubby always comments on my “buff” arms ;)
Thanks for the blog comment!!!

pbbrittany September 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM

You getting every last bit out of the wine glass sounds like me trying to get every last bit out of a SunButter jar. :P No food goes to waste!!!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM

i definitely need to try out this SunButter :D

Errign September 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I put just next to zero time into my presentation of meals. I think if I was cooking for someone other than myself I would. And I do really want a wine glass to build parfaits in, so I don’t have to rock a Guinness pint glass.

PEANUT BUTTER. I really don’t love Almond Butter, at all. Most beautiful thing today is going to be fro yo, since it’s self serve and ON SALE today. Sign.me.up.

Meg (A Dash of Meg) September 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM

mmmmmm i love the fro yo ;)

kenz October 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM

meg! just wanted to give a shout out to you my dear and tell you how proud i am of you! i love all your blogs and it makes me have a hint of meg closer to me since you’re so far away! :(
keep up the awesome work babygirl! i love the blogs and you! xx

Kenz

Meg (A Dash of Meg) October 1, 2011 at 6:37 AM

awwwwww BABE <3 thanks for the comment :) I love comments!! :) They all make me smile and I will always try to write back :) xoxo love you girl & thanks for reading