For the Love of Leftovers

by Meg on December 29, 2011

Hey friends Smile Thank you for all of the wonderful comments after yesterdays post! Smile It’s great to know that I am not the only one who deals with “fear” or “forbidden” foods. And thank you to all of you who shared similar experiences; it’s always comforting to hear about what others have gone through when dealing with ED.

After writing my post yesterday, I was wasting some time on Twitter and found a beautiful quote that I have to share with you!

“If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.”
- Katherine Hepburn

This quote totally relates to yesterdays post and I found it extremely ironic how I came across it immediately after I published my post. So, I knew I had to share it with all of you today Smile The quote is so true, especially if you consider the said “rules” to be “ED’s rules”.

When has following any of ED’s rules ever gotten you to a good place?

Following ED’s rules only leads to a life full of darkness, loneliness, and hate. So, if we disobey ED’s rules we will be able to enjoy the wonderful life God blessed us with Smile
Keep this quote with you and remember it whenever ED decides to come out and play.
___________________________________

Even though Christmas has come and gone, one thing still remains…

Leftovers!

Personally, I love leftovers. When I’m living in London, I make huge batches of chicken breasts, turkey muffins, tilapia, etc. all at once, so I am able to have a quick meal in between studying and everything else that comes along with being a busy university student. Since I make large batches of one type of dish at a time, I find myself eating the same thing such as chicken breasts over and over; however, it doesn’t phase me at all. I love leftovers. I think it’s fun and I always try to create something new with the same thing Smile Therefore, I am thoroughly enjoying all of this leftover turkey Winking smile You will never hear me saying “I’ve had enough turkey until next Christmas” or something of the sort.

One of my favourite ways to enjoy leftover turkey or chicken is to create a monster salad Smile Salads are so versatile, so even if you have a salad for lunch and dinner they can be completely different from one another.

Yesterday for lunch I made myself a monster salad with the leftover Christmas chicken (we did two huge chickens on Boxing day instead of turkey)

monster salads 002

(romaine, quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, fresh dill, avocado, and chicken)

My salad got so big I had to pull out one of my Mom’s pottery bowls that we use for serving side dishes in!

I love my salads Smile

monster salads 004

Mmmmmm you can never go wrong with the addition of avocado Winking smile

This salad was so good that I had to make another for dinner. I could have been creative and made it different, but my salad at lunch was way too tasty to mess around with Winking smile So, dinner looked pretty much the same…

monster salads 011

All of the same deliciousness went into this salad, except I made one of my favourite homemade salad dressings to drizzle on top

Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette

2 tsp whole grain mustard

1 TBSP olive oil

2 tsp white wine vinegar

Stir all together and you got yourself a tasty dressing for any salad! Smile So good. And so easy! Smile

Today, I thought I’d change things up a little for my lunch, but I still used the leftover chicken of course! Winking smile

turkeysoup 008

Alright, so I still had a salad, but a Mexican type of salad Winking smile

Turkey Taco Salad

2 – 3 cup romaine, chopped

6 oz. cooked turkey breast, cubed

1 small tomato, diced

1/2 cup black beans (I used canned and drained them well)

1/4 – 1/2 avocado, sliced

2 scoops (1 big spoonful’s) greek yogurt

2 TBSP green onion, diced

1 tortilla (I baked my tortilla in the oven at 400 degrees F until crispy)

Arrange salad in a bowl big enough to fit all of the ingredients and enjoy! Smile
Sometimes, I will even add jalapeño’s to this salad, but today I wasn’t feeling them…

Lunch was delicious, but I think dinner beat all of the above meals…
Don’t get me wrong – I love my salads, but take a look at this soup I made!

turkeysoup 016

Once again, turkey was the star of this meal Smile

Meg’s Leftover Turkey Soup

1 tsp olive oil

1 celery stalk, diced

1/2 cup diced carrots

2 TBSP diced onion

2 cups water

2 tsp chicken bouillon concentrate (Bovril brand)

Mrs. Dash Original (just a dash Winking smile)

6 oz. cooked turkey breast, cubed or shredded

1/2 brown and wild rice

1 handful chopped fresh dill

Begin by sautéing celery, carrots, and onion in olive oil over low heat. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add turkey, rice, and bouillon once water comes to a boil. Season with Mrs. Dash.

turkeysoup 012

Once onions are translucent, transfer vegetables to pot. Let simmer. Test broth and adjust accordingly (I didn’t make any changes – I thought it was perfect!) A few minutes before serving, add dill. Serve warm and enjoy Smile

Personally, I enjoyed my soup in my new Santa bowl Winking smile

turkeysoup 009

turkeysoup 010

I think pretty bowls make a meal so much more delicious Winking smile

turkeysoup 019

Do you like leftovers?
What is your favourite way to use leftover turkey?
Does anyone else have an obsession with bowls?
I collect different bowls, mugs, plates, etc. Open-mouthed smile

Have a wonderful evening friends!

xoxoxoxoxo

Katie @ Real Food Katie's Way December 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I live for cute bowls!!! A meal tastes SO much better with a pretty bowl!

I don’t actually care for turkey BUT if I did, I would do a pizza in which cranberry sauce is the base, turkey, veg and goat cheese are the toppings!

PS I love the quote!

LightOnMyFeet December 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yummmmm everything looks so good. I love avocado!! And I love leftovers for the same reasons. I love not having to worry about what I’m going to eat for lunch/dinner the next day and even find stuff around my house to make it taste even better! :)

Oats n' Bows December 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I’m so bad at utilizing leftovers! I don’t know why… I’m just so set on eating it how it was in its original form. I would’ve never thought of turkey soup! It looks seriously delicious. I have actually made a broth from turkey bones… that was pretty insane :)

I’m all about bowls too! It’s what I seem to use the most. I have several with minnie mouse, mickey mouse, monsters, owls, etc etc.

Alexandra December 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Dude, pretty bowls DO make meals more tasty!! I’m obsessed with Disney themed ones haha
I love your Santa bowl too :) We kinda already demolished our leftovers heehee

jenny December 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Yummy.
Salad bowls are the best, I always take a big big bowl and add: hefty amount of protein (eggs, chicken, fish, or tofu, or a combination of each) + grains (super important to add), veggies of course, 1 full tablespoon of oil (i use 2-3 tbsps per day) + any other add in…and yogurt with more starches on the side…

A great salad combo u must must try: add in whatever, but make sure you have warm sweet potato chunks and avocado in there…holy combination yum>>>

i have to make sure i make your versions..

as for your post yesterday..well, i feel kind of ashamed about myself…i’m gaining but i’m way bigger than any of u or the other teeny teeny tiny girls on blogs who eat so so well and exercise..
i’m intentionally gaining + not exercising (i sit alot) …but I eat “unclean” food…
Lindt 85% dark chocolate,, I eat 30 grams of that every night with a hefty bedtime snack…I guess I feel guilty for not having willpower and not gaining “right” :(

jenny December 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM

oh, and I ALWAYS add 1/2 avocado to my salads..always!! I usually eat one avocado per day…i have nooo fear of fats…u’d be shocked ;)

Lyn @ FueledBySalad December 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM

So much salad love! I love how colourful and huuuuge everything looks. :D

Cheryl Madliger December 29, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I’ve probably told myself 10910912 times I’m going to make turkey lasagna or turkey soup with my leftovers…but if you look at my blog this week the truth comes out: I LOVE leftover turkey sandwiches. Cold stuffing used to be my favourite…but now my tastes have matured and I like to use my mom’s (butter and sugar drenched) sweet potatoes on a salad with turkey and some cranberries. Festive and so good! :)

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl December 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM

i am in love with that quote. i have never heard it before but now it’s one of my favs :)

Tara December 30, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Your meals look awesome! I got Rob hooked on salads…I make one salad with lettuce, mushrooms, red pepper, zucchini, almonds, avocado and sundried tomatoes (and chicken obviously!) that is now his favourite meal apparently ;) He used to hate eating salads so it’s quite funny. Your dressing sounds very similar to mine!

jan December 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

i love that you give single-serving recipes. I live alone , so its perfect. Honestly, no other blog (or very few) do that and when I see your recipes, I’m more likely to try them cause their single serving.

FYI: drizzling bread with olive oil and “toasting” in oven is yummy.

Life's a Bowl December 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I loveee shopping for new dishware! I may just have to get out today and check some places out…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I love leftover turkey! I’m pretty sure I’ve had a turkey sandwich every day this week haha. I like them simple with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and avocado!

That soup looks sooo good! We make turkey soup with the carcass once we’re done eating most of the meat. It sounds gross, but it’s so good. :D

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I collect bowls! Hahah I got two new ones for Christmas :)

Lemon December 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Your leftover salad looks delicious, I wish I had some of the ingredients as leftovers, I would go for it immediately.

Heidi Murphy December 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

That soup looks amazing, dill in turkey soup!?! What a great idea.

I love turkey tetrazzini, turkey and pasta? YUM!

GOtheXtraMile December 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Love leftovers!!! They are the best. I ALWAYS make soup out of leftovers. I actually have a recipe I’ve been meaning to share :D Thanks for the reminder. Yours look AWESOME!!!

Kate @ Chasing It December 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM

soups and salads ftw!! I usually don’t like to eat leftovers as the same meal they were originally served as – which is an issue for our pasta leftovers hah- but I love using leftover meat in soups and salads, or even as pizza toppings! your turkey soup looks just like my mom’s chicken soup…..my fave :-)

survivingcandyland December 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I looooooove leftovers too. Mainly because I’m super super lazy, but also because if I make something that I really like, I love eating it over and over again. Turkey is definetely one of the best things to have left over. You can do so many different things with it.

Christina Does It All December 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

you come up with all of these recipes by yourself?! teach me your ways!!!

Julia (http://girlswithastethoscope.blogspot.com) December 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Oh girl I LOVE me some leftovers..especially leftover turkey! I can eat it for days! This is why I love the holidays because I know I’ll always have leftover turkey for days and days! haha

Great recipes, alway love a great salad :)

Sweetly Fit December 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Leftovers = love them! I like to make big portions of meals just to have lots of leftovers. They make lunch time so easy. and I am right there with you on the bowl obsession. I think I must buy something new every time I go to the store, and try to justify it by thinking, “oh this will look so good on the blog!” hehe. :)

nicole December 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

inspiring! katherine hepburn! you! your santa bowl! so gosh darn adorable! thanks for bringing a smile to my face! x