hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Creamy and Coconut-y

January 26, 2012 | Breakfast, Dinner, Eat, Lunch, Uncategorized | 34 Comments

Good morning everyone Smile I just finished breakfast here, an omelette and a warm creamy bowl of oats with fruit, so I am about to leave for the gym soon. But before I go, I wanted to share a new recipe that I created yesterday! Smile I also wanted to thank you for the abundance of replies to yesterdays post! It’s amazing that so many of you can relate to how I viewed the word “healthy” in the past. It is crazy to think that a word that holds such a positive meaning can have its definition altered by so many people! However, it sounds like we are all coming along and changing the distorted definition of healthy into the proper definition. Being healthy is definitely something to strive for; not fear! For those of you who are still struggling with an ED or a disordered thoughts of any sort, I assure you that you can recover, but it does take time. Stay committed and stay confident! You can over come anything you put your mind to <3 One of the things that helped me the most throughout my recovery was accepting the fact that recovery is a long, long process! Don’t get discouraged! Be patient with yourself <3 My Mom says it all the time, “patience is a virtue”, and it is so true. Recovery is a lot less stressful if we are patient!

So, for this recipe Winking smile The title says it all…

Creamy and coconut-y! Now doesn’t that just spell C-O-M-F-O-R-T!?

The weather was pretty chilly here in London for the past few days (snowing on and off throughout the days) which has been causing me to crave comforting and warm foods.

I cannot go without warm oatmeal in the morning…

mmmm yum 008
steel cut oats cooked in almond milk and apple chips

stuffed pepper 004
scottish oats with yogurt and raspberry “syrup”

banana baked oats 009
quinoa flakes with raspberries

I even made baked oatmeal yesterday morning! (recipe to come… once I perfect it…)
banana baked oats 032 - Copy
banana baked oatmeal drenched in almond butter

Sure, I love a big yogurt bowl with granola, nuts, and fruit, but my cravings are much too strong to sway from having my warm bowl of oats in the mornings Smile

This was my delicious bowl of oats this morning Smile I kind of went picture savvy… (but it was too pretty not to take pictures of!)

creamycreamyoats 006

creamycreamyoats 007creamycreamyoats 008

Yesterday, however, I found myself wanting more. More warm, comforting, cozy-type foods. So, a new recipe was made! Smile

banana baked oats 037

Creamy Coconut, Sweet Potato, and Chickpea “Stew”
Makes 1 serving

1/2 cup baked sweet potato, cubed
1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked
1 large handful spinach
1/2 cup coconut milk

Over medium heat, add milk to frying pan. Add remaining ingredients until warm and spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and place in dish. Mash some of the chickpeas for a more creamy texture. Serve and enjoy!

This would be such a wonderful recipe to share on Meatless Monday, but I couldn’t wait! I hope you enjoy this! Smile

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

34 Comments

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen

January 26, 2012

That looks like my kind of recipe: easy, comforting, and involving two of my favorite things (coconut and sweet potatoes). I made something similar with pumpkin and greens once…it turned out more soup-like than stew-like. :)

January 27, 2012

oooooo that sounds amazing :) do you have the recipe on your blog!?

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen

January 27, 2012

Hey! No, I don’t…although now that I’m thinking about it, I should make it again and post about it. :)

Basically, I sauteed long, thin slivers of onion, ginger, garlic and either swiss chard or kale (spinach would be good) in the bottom of the pan, added coconut milk (and maybe a little water or veggie broth to thin it out, and stirred in a can of pumpkin. I got it to the consistency I wanted and seasoned as desired. It was SO easy and very good.

tara

January 26, 2012

i wish i could overcome things…but i’m binging at night and i’m just all sorts of up and down. i wish i could recover “right”…eat the healthy, right foods and not be such a failure.

HollieisFueledByLOLZ

January 26, 2012

I’m so glad I found your blog girl. I seriously need warm things to keep me going through the day. Those raspberries look so good too. I might make some raspberry pancakes or something later.

January 27, 2012

ahhhhhh thanks for commenting beautiful! I have a new blog to read now <3 AND I LOVE IT BY THE WAY ;) <333333 did u make your pancakes?! xo

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

January 26, 2012

When it’s cold out all I crave is warm food! Unfortunately it’s been in the 80s lately so I’m still craving yogurt and smoothies. What a wonderful and easy recipe! Looks delicious.

I love yogurt bowls, but nothing trumps oatmeal! I had some for breakfast this morning too. :D

Also that stew looks incredible girl! Coconut milk is the best!

Yolie @ Practising Wellness

January 26, 2012

Mmmm…all the food on this post looks absolutely wonderful! Love oatmeal so much! And that coconutty creamy bowl of deliciousness down the bottom? Ummm…YUM! :-) Will definitely be creating that in my own home – I love simple recipes like that – you know the 5 ingredients and under kind. More, please, lol! ;-) (hehe…no pressure) <3 Thank you for sharing, lovely! xyx

January 27, 2012

hahahaha awe babe! you are the cutest – EVER! I love easy peasy recipes, too :) and this tasted amazing as well :) I will be sharing more recipes, don’t u worry ;)

Christina @ the athletarian

January 26, 2012

Yummyyyyy!!! I need to make this!! It encompasses some of my most favourite things!!!

Kate @ Chasing It

January 26, 2012

oh my gosh that sounds amazing!!! I just bought shredded coconut for the first time ever yesterday, and I can’t WAIT to use it in stuff – I never thought about using it in a dinner-type dish! but combined with sweet taters and chickpeas….you are genius :-D

Miranda @ Miranda's Munchies

January 26, 2012

yum! so many different types of yummy oatmeal! I think I need to spice up my usual kind :)
    I love all things coconut, so I’m glad you created this stew! I know it’s gonna hit the spot on one of my mad craving days!

ooooooo :) let me know if you try it :D

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig

January 26, 2012

Your oatmeal looks amazing!! So creamy :D I loooove coconut milk so I have to try this recipe!

Kat

January 26, 2012

good lord I will eat ANYTHING with coconut. One of my all time favorite flavors. Lemon and coconut combination is probably one of the best ones out there. Second to peanut butter and chocolate of course ;)

January 27, 2012

coconut and lemon!? tell me more ;)????????????

Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog

January 27, 2012

Good timing on the recovery support. I just had one of those moments/posts/tear jerkers. I love you and you’re inspirational and I look up to you. <3 keep doing what you're doing.

oh sweetie. I love you so much <3 YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION

Katie

January 27, 2012

Your oats with the berries looks amazing! I have been on a berry kick over here, so it looks extra amazing!

January 27, 2012

omg Katie, they tasted like heaven. the raspberries were suuuuuper duuuuuper sweet :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats

January 27, 2012

This is unreal but I have only had hot oats about 3 or 4 times since I moved home. I have been so addicted to Fitnessista’s breakfast cookie dough cereal otherwise!

January 27, 2012

omg i love that recipe! and it’s pretty creepy that I was thinking about it today……. BEFORE i read your comment :s WEIRD

tara

January 27, 2012

Meg…I have been considering RD’s to consult…I know gaining weight should be easy…and I “know” everything…research…I’ve done it in the past, etc etc etc…but I was considering seeing one anyone just cause…

1) did you see an RD when you were gaining? How was she (or he?) and did they give you a sample meal plan to follow?

2) i live outside the Toronto area…but found one woman who is willing to give me a good price for a consult and meal plan…her website is here: http://beachesnutrition.ca/media/

what do you think? i personally prefer a “clean’ eating style with emphasis on fat and protein…I’m worried I’ll get someone who is one of these vegetarian advocates that try to pump you full of bags of rice a day (I like rice :) but i like chocolate, bread, and lots of fat and protein too).

January 27, 2012

I’m sorry, hun. I thought I had told you before that yes I did see an RD and that I simply followed the Canada’s Food Guide. No RD will advocate pumping you full of rice. Each and every RD will recommend a BALANCED diet.

tara

January 28, 2012

Thanks…does the RD in that website look good to you? I’d appreciate your opinion.

Caitlin

January 27, 2012

I’m honestly not a fan of oatmeal (what kind of blogger am I, right?) but your baked oatmeal concoction looks really awesome! Reminds me of some bangin’ oatmeal pancakes I made once, I spread crushed blueberries and PB sauce on top of them.

That stew looks so good! I love chickpeas. The coconut thrown into the mix is such a unique twist! Good creation!

January 27, 2012

HAHA don’t worry girl, I just started eating oatmeal last year :) I just think I wasn’t preparing it right or something? Also, steel cut oats were a much easier transition than other types of oats that tend to get quite mushy. However, now….. I love the mushy. Haha. Such as quinoa flakes

Ali Mc

January 27, 2012

I love that stew at the bottom, I’m going to be honest that since I’m coming off of a sickness all those pictures of mushy food just wasn’t good for me ;) but I think I may just eat that stew tonight!!!!! Thanks girl xoxox

January 27, 2012

really!!!!!!!!!!!! That excites me darling :D let me know if you seriously try it!

xoxo love u

Allison

January 27, 2012

I made overnight oats/ cereal last night mixed with cream cheese/ soymilk and topped it with berries and it was fabulous! Reminds me of your oats this morning… I’m thinking something warm and baked this weekend for bfast, baked oatmeal perhaps? Or baked french toast or a baked pancake :)

Becca@learnasyougocook

January 28, 2012

Ooo coconuts and sweet potatoes, count me in! Good for my vegetarian tummy!;)

January 29, 2012

YES! totally :) please make this and let me know what you think! i am craving it again it was that good :)