Steak & Floss

by Meg on February 27, 2012

Hey friends! Smile How is everyone’s Monday going?
Despite the 10 hours of sleep I was able to get last night, I am still tired. I guess that means another early night tonight to catch up on what I am lacking! Smile
______________________________________
Over the break which took place this past week, my Dad and I bought ourselves bison steaks to try out! Smile Bison is new to me as I do not eat a lot of red meat; however, seeing as how I had never tried bison before, I thought I would give it at try! Smile

Before getting right into the delicious meal we made for ourselves, I thought it would be beneficial if I provided you with some nutritional information on bison:

“Bison boasts fewer calories, grams of fat and cholesterol than most meats including beef, pork and skinless chicken. The wild animal is lower in fat and cholesterol than most meats and meat alternatives. For the same serving size, bison has one-quarter of the fat found in beef; one-third of the fat found in chicken; and half the fat found in turkey. Because of its lower fat content, the American Heart Association recommends bison meat as a leaner alternative to beef.

A four ounce (112 gram) serving of roasted bison contains 160 calories, 2.2 grams of fat and 83 milligrams of cholesterol. Like other meats, bison is also an excellent source of protein and iron – providing about 30% of the recommended daily allowance for both these nutrients in each serving.”
Source

Now that you know more about bison, let the taste testing start!

Daddy, the grill master, grilled the bison steaks and lightly seasoned one side with Montreal Steak Spice. I didn’t want a lot of seasoning on my steak as I wanted to enjoy the natural taste of bison.

While Daddy was doing what he does best, grilling up a feast, I was busy in the kitchen making a new coleslaw recipe and butternut squash fries! Smile Both turned out wonderfully.

This was our meal.

feb break3 012

I hate giving out bad reviews, but unfortunately the bison was not my favourite item on this plate. Personally, the two side dishes stole the show, but I have some reasoning for my judgement:

One of the main reasons I dislike eating red meat is the taste. I just don’t like it. So, I have to admit, I was nervous to try the bison because I normally do not approve of the taste. Especially deer meat; I despise that “game” taste. However, the bison did have a good flavour. It truthfully did taste good. So, the taste was not an issue with me. What did bother me was the chewiness of the meat. Seeing as how it has been a while since I had a steak, I forgot how tough the meat can be. I don’t appreciate the chewiness and I really dislike getting the muscle fibres stuck between my teeth!

My Mom always tells me that I even complained about this issue when I was young. She says that I would always come complaining to her saying “Mommy, I have pork”. Despite the fact if we had pork or not, I would always refer to the meat stuck between my teeth as “pork”.

Needless to say, the steak was too chewy for my liking and I needed to floss my teeth afterward. Luckily, I won’t push bison aside and claim that I don’t like it. Next time, I will be trying ground bison and try making my own hamburgers or meatballs Smile I am excited!

Now, for the new recipe!

I created this coleslaw recipe using what we had in the fridge and it actually turned out very good! Smile I hope you all enjoy it, too! I loved the colours it contained! Smile

feb break3 001

Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw with Jalapeno and Lemon Vinaigrette
Slaw:
2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup alfalfa sprouts

Dressing
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 jalapeno, cored and seeded

Combine all ingredients for slaw in bowl and toss (when I made this recipe I didn’t actually measure out any of the ingredients for the slaw, so use your own judgement. I just went based on how much of each colour I wanted!)

For the dressing, place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Toss slaw with dressing and serve (does not need to be served immediately, as flavours develop more thoroughly after “marinating” for a while).

Do you like bison?
Is anyone else still tired from the weekend?
I’m not tired from the weekend, it’s that 3:30 am wake up call from yesterday that is still affecting me!
Did anyone watch the Oscars last night? Who am I kidding! Of course you did! Favourite dress? Least favourite? Personally, I loved…

Ellie Kemper

138320997PH133_84th_Annual_
Source

and Milla Jovovich

138320997PH076_84th_Annual_
Source

But, I did not like Emma Stone (too much around the neck!)

138320997PH231_84th_Annual_
Source

Nor did I like Anna Ferris!

138320997PH240_84th_Annual_
Source

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I love bison but it has to be a good, lean cut. I’ve recently started losing the taste for red meat which is weird. I did watch most of the Oscars but I don’t know anyone’s name to reference my favorite dresses, lol. But there were some really gorgeous ones! :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness February 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Happy Monday, lovely!

Mmmm…that slaw looks divine…so fresh and colourful. I’m like you – I really don’t like the taste of red meat – particularly the chewiness and the texture. I had ostrich for the first time last year, after avoiding red meat for everrrr…and it was gross. :-P I’m more of a fish, chicken or turkey gal. ;-)

Guess what?! I made my oats with TEA like you suggested today, and it was DIVINE! I used rose, chamomile and lavender tea, and had oats with vanilla protein powder, blueberries, and goji berries. YUM! <3 Thank you for the inspiration! :-)

Hope you get some good sleep tonight, sweetie! <3 xyx

Meg February 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM

WOW your oats sound amazing :) Thanks for updating me! I have been behind on blog reading!

xoxo love u

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM

ew agreed. emma stone was NOT a winner

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats February 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

So glad you gave the bison a try! I love it in burger form–you should definitely give those a shot. I wish I could have came for dinner that night! lol :) I watched the Oscars but I was also busy multitasking (story of my life) so I didn’t give it my full attention. I know a lot of people liked Michelle Williams Louis Vuitton dress but I just did not care for it at all!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I didn’t think it was anything special either :s

Catriona February 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Hi! I just started reading your blog (It’s great!!) and thought I’d drop in and leave a comment!

I love bison and you should definitely try ground bison!
The only way I’ve ever eaten it was in burger-form and I thought it was so tasty!! I may be biased because I love burgers, but I think you’ll find it much tastier than in a steak.
Also, I’ve heard that bison tends to dry out much easier than beef, so maybe cook it a little less than you would a regular burger in order to reduce the chewiness.

And I’m in total agreement on Emma Stone’s dress…I really didn’t like it. Too much poof!!

Have a nice night!!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM

YAY I am so happy you commented :D A new blogger friendship to begin xoxo

Have a great night hun

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl February 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

i’ve never really been a big red meat eater. so a few years ago, i cut it out of my lifestyle completely. sorry it was a bust :(

of course i watched the oscars!! i agree with you about emma stone…not the best look. plus i didn’t like the red dress against her red hair

Julia @ girl with a stethoscope February 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I am not a red meat eater AT ALL but Bison is SO delicious!! It’s one of the leanest meats around and it’s got a GREAT taste, IMO anyway :)

What an awesome recipe..I love me some red cabbage! Mmm! ;)

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I love red cabbage too :D I snack on it plain sometimes :D SO SWEET!

Alexandra February 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

HAHAHA the title of this made me think of my mom, she and I always have to get tons of floss after eating steaks! ;) I love me some bison, but lately I’ve been going nuts for london broil cut of beef, it’s so tender and tasty!
My favorite dress last night had to be Jessica Chastain’s black and gold one. LOVE :D

Emma February 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I don’t think I have ever tried bison. I do like venison a lot though, with the proper cooking methods and seasonings (cough, bacon wrapped, cough). I guess I don’t mind the gamey flavor–I like goat a lot too in Indian dishes!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Oooooo I have never tried goat! :D

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I did not watch any of the Oscars, and I haven’t seen any pictures! It’s just not that big of a thing down here :)

I’ve never tried bison, but I used to hate red meat. I hated the chewiness of it too! But Rob taught me that proper red meat shouldn’t be chewy if it’s cooked properly, and now I have steak every day! I’ve come a long way, seeing as I was basically a vegetarian when I met Rob (I only had chicken, and less than once a month!).

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Crazy how we can change ;)!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy February 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I thoroughly enjoy bison every time I eat it. I also don’t think it’s an animal that is typically produced in a factory farm, so I am going to keep eating it when I can get my paws on it. :)

Heather @ For the Love of Kale February 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Awww, Daddy/Daughter days are the BEST! Dads rule.So glad you got to spend some quality time with him. I’m sure it was much needed. I loved Michelle Williams too. Great pick, girlie! <3 Gwyneth Paltrow totally stole the show for me. My jaw was on the floor.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hmm, I can’t say I’ve ever had bison! And I doubt I would like it. I do like red meat, but for some reason thinking of bison just reminds me of deer meat which I really don’t like haha. I didn’t get the watch the oscars but I was looking at tons of pics online this morning :). Hope you get lots of good sleep tonight pretty lady <3

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Ew I really don’t like deer meat either, but I promise you that bison is not the same :)

Megan February 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM

You made me LOL with ‘Mommy I have pork’! Too cute! I’ve never had bison, however with red meat I like it medium-rare. It wasn’t until I had it cooked that way that I actually enjoyed it.

I don’t eat a lot of red meat other than ground beef maybe once a week/fortnight, but I do love a good steak every now and then. I’d eat it more if I could cook it properly!

Courtney February 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I can’t remember the last time I’ve eaten red meat, it’s not a restrictive factor, I just prefer a seafood or chicken! But I’m always open to trying new things. OSCAR DRESSES!!!!! I have been googling them all night, haha. My fav goes to Michelle Williams… if only I was that little an adorable to pull that off! Milla Jovovich was amazing, something I would choose for myself. You’re right, I’m not sure why Emma Stone was on the “best dressed” lists.. ah well. xoxo

Linz @ Itz Linz February 28, 2012 at 3:15 AM

ah! ellie kemper went to my high school and was in my brother’s class. so cool to see her everywhere on tv now! (my lame claim to fame haha) i want to try some butternut squash fries! looks yummy! i’m not a huge red meat fan either… very occassionally (like today and this weekend becuase my grandma made cabbage rolls!) i’ll eat it, but it’s certainly nothing i crave.

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM

That’s SO cool about Ellie! Oh my goodness!

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat February 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Ooh I love Bison!! It’s got to be my favorite type of red meat. A bison burger is something I can hardly pass up! That cole-slaw looks delish also, I’ll have to give that one a try. I love trying new mayo-free slaws! And I agree with you about Emma Stone… She’s one of my favorites but I didn’t love the dress!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I will have to try bison in burger form then :)

Khushboo Thadani February 28, 2012 at 6:05 AM

I’m not a red meat person at all but venison is my only exception- I adore venison burgers and love how lean it is considering it’s red meat!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’ve never tried bison before but I really want to try it, along with elk. I’ve had deer once at Blacktree and I loved it! Apparently it’s also a really lean game meat.

I watched the Oscars, but I was also doing work at the same time so I missed some parts. :P I loved Michelle Williams’ dress and Gweneth Paltrow’s, once she took off that cape thing haha.

Kate @ Chasing It February 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I love bison!! I’ve had a bison burger once before, it was epic. That said, I really dislike steaks – I hate the chewiness too, ugh! Love the sweet potato and cole slaw combo though, they look fantastic! :-) I didn’t watch the oscars, but I always have fun looking at the pictures of what people wore!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I never tried bison when I ate meat. Love the look of that slaw- looks delish!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM

thanks for the comment girl :D!!!

Christina @ the athletarian February 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

No red meat for me!!!!!!! Never was a fan. I do love the look of that coleslaw though! Girl, you stopped posting these posts on Facebook so I’ve missed so many! Get on it!!!!! Hope you’re well rested now :)

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:31 AM

haha I know! I am falling behind!!!

monika @ fit foodies February 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That’s a bummer you didn’t like it but it makes sense if you don’t like red meat :) I actually loved Bison when we tried it, but it is pricey!

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I am going to try ground bison :)