My Love for Brescia

by Meg on February 29, 2012

Good evening loves! Smile How was everyone’s day today?

Today was my first day back to school after the week off. It was a very long and busy day, but it was a good one, too Smile As wonderful as my break was, it is always nice to come back to my home in London, get back into my routine, and see all of the lovely friends that I have here <3

In July of 2010, when I first made my appearance in London, I don’t think I would have ever in a million years guessed how much I would be loving the life that I have here in London Smile <3

London trip 1 097

The picture above was taken in July 2010 right before I was introduced to my University, my second home, Brescia <3 If you can’t tell by the huge smile on my face, I was totally pumped to attend orientation day and learn more about my future university!

London trip 1 096

London trip 1 084

I accepted my acceptance letter to Brescia before I even saw the school; rather, before I had ever even been to London! But I knew it was the right choice. I just knew it! I had that gut feeling telling me that this is where I needed to go.

One of the main reasons I was drawn to Brescia was because of their “Bold Campaign”. The University of Brescia really emphasizes on being bold. Meaning that the students at Brescia aren’t afraid of taking chances, taking roles in leadership, being innovative, etc. Brescia has strong values and visions that got me excited the first time I visited their website:

• Valuing women and their potential for leadership in society
  • Encourage women’s learning styles and enable them to develop their voices, confidence, and leadership skills
  • Value creative, holistic education
  • Value academic excellence
  • Value experiential learning
  • Value celebration of the spiritual dimension of the human person
  • Value the building of community in participative and collaborative ways
  • Value the struggle to raise social awareness and promote social change
  • Value physical environment that enhances the spiritual search for truth and beauty

All the above sounded too good to be true when I read them back in 2010, but it is true. Brescia, Canada’s women’s university, provided me with all of the above.

Over the past year and a half at Brescia I gained confidence that I have never had before.

I have a voice that I am no longer afraid to use.

Brescia encourages women to recognize their potential. It’s truly an amazing place to be <3

These are my own personal opinions about Brescia and I know not every one may agree with me about attending a women’s university…

There is always going to be those girls complaining about the lack of males around Brescia, but males can in fact take classes at Brescia – they are just not officially classified as a “Brescia student”. There are at least five males in my Foods and Nutrition program, so that’s proof that males can take classes at Brescia! (Five is a small number, but the University of Western is right across the street and there are thousands of males roaming around there!)

Five males or no males, I still love Brescia.

I love the confidence it has allowed me to find within myself, the friendships that it has offered me, and the beautiful memories I have because of it <3

It is my one of my homes and I am proud to say I am a Brescia student Smile

London trip 1 110

Even though I have group projects coming out of my ying yang, a presentation this Friday, and a midterm this Saturday, I still try to enjoy each moment I have here Smile It is sure scary to think next year is my last year here! Scary, but exciting at the same time.

Where did/do you go to university?
Why did you choose the university you did?
What do you think of an all women’s university? Would you ever attend one?

I better get busy studying now, though. I just wanted to share my love for Brescia Smile Hope you enjoyed! xoxo

xoxoxoxoxo

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Your school sounds amazing. I definitely would have looked into it. Also, I love the word…Brescia. It would be a good pet name :)

Meg February 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I never thought of that before! It totally would :D You are so right!

Julia @ girl with a stethoscope February 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I am so glad you found a place you love attending. College is one of the best times of your life so it’s so important to actually go somewhere where you absolutely love!

Heidi February 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I attended Memorial University, I chose it because of my program plus it was in my hometown!

I didn’t realize you went to an all women’s university, I think that’s really awesome! :)

Meg February 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Thanks girlie :) xoxo

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy February 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

ANDDDD if I wasn’t already excited uber big time about being a foods and nutrition student come summer and next year, I am JACKED now! :)

Meg February 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

you better be ;)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I’ve never heard of an all female university! Your school sounds awesome. It’s so nice to have a connection to your school.

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl February 29, 2012 at 3:02 AM

your campus looks absolutely gorgeous! and that’s so awesome you’ve found someplace that you can call home. i’m really hoping that will be the case for me when i transfer next year :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats February 29, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Your school sounds awesome! I don’t know if I could do the all girls thing but when I was choosing a university my boyfriend was a part of it. If I could go back in life I would have made a lot more effort to make close girlfriends because I am kind of lacking in that department. I went to school at the University of Nebraska Kearney and also University of Nebraska Medical Center. I really liked them both.

Linz @ Itz Linz February 29, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Yay!! Where are from originally? I know you moved to London but from where? I’m just now getting to know you do I’m sure you ha e already posted about it!

Toronto Girl West February 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM

I’ve been to a bunch of Universities – here are some of the ones and why I chose them:

Undergrad – UofT (University College) – I LOVED the program I was in and it was only available at UofT and happened to be based out of UC. Plus going to UofT allowed me to live at home and save some money for my further studies.

After Undergrad I did a program at the Sorbonne and I have to confess that I chose it because I wanted to study in France but I wanted a program that would have instant name recognition. And what better place than the Sorbonne! But honestly I loved being there and would do it again in a heartbeat!

And for law school I went to the University of Victoria because it was the #1 ranked law school and I figured I would never get the chance again to live in such a small place! Little did I know that I would graduate and move to a tiny town in the Rockies! :P

As for an all-girl’s Uni – my gut reaction is to say I wouldn’t like it but the truth is in Paris I lived in an international women’s residence and I had the time of my life!!!!!

Megan February 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Your uni looks awesome. LOVE the beautiful buildings.

I went to Massey in New Zealand. It was okay, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn’t gone home every weekend (stupid ex!)

Kate @ Chasing It February 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I love love LOVED reading this Meg!! I am/was crazy in love with my own university and some people probably think I’m nuts when I gush about it, so it really makes me smile to read how passionate you are about your own school!! Two of my older cousins attended/graduated from William and Mary, so my first time on campus was as an 11 year old. I guess it stuck with me – when it came time to think about college, W&M was top of my list! I applied Early Decision, but was denied and so I went to another college, Bates (up in Maine). Bates was great, but i was NOT giving up on W&M, so I applied to transfer after my first semester, was accepted, and started at W&M my sophomore year. Best decision I’ve ever made – I think that school was perfect for me in every way!! For a lot of the same reasons you love Brescia, actually – especially the part about experiential learning, that’s a HUGE dealbreaker for me because that’s exactly how I learn!! I hope there are lots of high school girls who read your blog, I think many of them would be convinced by this to apply to Brescia!! In any case, you’ve got me on their website checking out if they have graduate programs! :-)

Meg March 2, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Awwww Kate! Love everything about this comment!

Come to Brescia to do a grad program ;) xxoo (or Western) We can be REAL LIFE friends :D

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way February 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

In a different time I would have LOVED to attend this school!

I didn’t go to University…Shortly after I graduated high school I bought a house on my own so that sort of put a damper on all things schooling…

I then met my husband, spent a few years with him, got married, renovated that house and am now working on my diploma in Advanced Nutrition through the Alive Academy of Natural Health in Richmond, BC via correspondence.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yay for the Brescia love in this post! I knew the second I stepped foot on the campus last year that it was the right choice for me. I feel a million times more comfortable, happy, recognized, and educated at Brescia compared to Western. :D And yes, we may complain about the lack of guys, but I kind of like the all girls atmosphere. It makes us seem like one big sorority or something!

Good luck with all your work this week. :)

Emily@RunningPerspective February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

oh my gosh STOP i had no idea you were THAT CLOSE to western! this is giving me more and more reason to decide to go!!!(of course if i get in!!)

i love that you are so happy! and i went to an all girls high school and i completely AGREE with the confidence and all round wonderful experience you get by going to an all -girl type of school. i would never trade that experience with anyone because it truly shaped me into the person that i am today!
love you<3

Meg March 2, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Hey Emily, I really appreciate your comment :) (miss our chats lately!!!!)

If you ever have ANY q’s about Western/Brescia ask away :D I would love for you to apply ;) xxoo

rob fiasco February 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

i would love to attend an all women’s university. somehow I think it’d be frowned upon. :)

Courtney February 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I have a very close friend at Brescia and she loves it, too!! Warning: this will sound creepy, but my friend actually knows who you are through her roommate last year, Cait I’m pretty sure. ;) Boys, shmeh. London is full of them (my boyfriend included, haha). Tanner and my sister both go to Western and are absolutely loving London, it is a great place to live in my opinion! You suit your school and program perfectly, I am SO glad you have found confidence and happiness there. I am in love with my University as well, McGill is so diverse and the wide range of Undergrad research opportunities is wonderful! I’ve met my best friends here and Montreal is a really cool city to live in. I have a cell metabolism tonight and should be studying… I’ll reward myself with reading all the fabulous WIAW posts when I get home :)

Meg March 2, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Awwww such a small world girl!!!!!!!!! You should visit meeeee :D

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sounds like you made the perfect choice!! I’m currently going to Tufts University outside of Boston. Part of the reason I chose this school was because I got in haha…but I applied because it was in the top 10 for my field :).

Shelby February 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Yorkton to London? I went from preeceville (hr north of yorkton) to Saskatoon then a yr later to Regina for nursing! Done school now, working iin moose jaw ! Blog made me miss school

Meg March 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM

So cool! Thanks for commenting on my blog :) xxoo

Heather @ For the Love of Kale March 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Love this post, Meg! It’s so amazing that you have so much love and respect for your school. Something to cherish, for sure. :-)

I go to Framingham State University (as you know). It’s not all women but, like yours, our F&N program is like 2% male. Haha. It’s hysterical when we get to vaginas and pregnancy. ;-)

Meg March 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM