High Five Friday #10: Handling Stress

by Meg on April 6, 2012

Hey there loves!

Happy High Five Friday :)

I am more than ready to celebrate HFF this week as there is so much to high five about! :)

This week has been an incredibly long and busy week for me, but I got through it and boy am I proud of myself! :) I can simply give myself a high five for putting all of the hard work I have into school this week, but I have done so much more than that!

It seems that when school gets busy and exams start approaching, I become quite the little stress basket. My mind goes a million miles an hour and I have a hard time just relaxing. This week I noticed the stress coming on, but instead of freaking out I handled it very well using some of my favourite techniques and rituals :) I thought I would share some of them with you today:

Taking a moment to shut my eyes, breathe, and let go of everything that is on my mind. I do self talk and ask myself “what should be done first?” I pick one thing to focus on and go from there. When I focus on more than one thing I start to stress and become anxious over all I have to do, but I find that if I step back from it all and focus on the one most important task I am able to think much more clear and be much more effective and efficient.

Surrounding myself with positive people always helps me relax and let go of stress, as well. Yesterday I was able to meet up with my friends, who are very positive people and always have a tendency to make me feel good about myself. We went to the movies to see The Hunger Games. It was a great night out and I am so happy I chose to go :) The movie was much more than I expected it to be. Yes, there was violence, but there is a beautiful story intertwined, as well. I am thinking I should read the books now ;)
Being around positive people is a very important thing to do, when under stress or not. Keep the people who make you feel good about YOU close :) They are who you want in life!

Going for a walk always helps clear my mind. Actually, I think a lot when I walk, but about other things – not what is stressing me. Instead of thinking about school and the four exams I have to write, I will go for a walk and find myself thinking about my future trip to Barbados, recipes I want to try, the new colour of nail polish I want to try, how beautiful the birds sound, but most often I think about this cutie.

My Mom sent me this picture the other day and it brought the biggest smile to my face! My Mom titled the picture “morning stretch”. She is so precious <3 I miss my baby.

Talking. Something as simple as talking always always always helps me de-stress. Whether it is talking to my Mom or Dad on the phone, Abby, Heather, or Sarah over text messaging, Tara or Lisa over an email, Chelsea over a tea date, or myself Рtalking will always calm me down :) (Yes, I talk to myself quite often.)

Doing house chores is incredibly relaxing to me, as well. I wash a lot of dishes which is why my nail polish is always chipped :( and I also vacuum a ton, too :) There is something about those two “chores” that I find incredibly stress-releiving :)

I have practiced all of the above rituals this week in order to handle my stress in a proper manor, so, for that, I deserve a high five :)

The other high five that will be sent out this week is to Janetha for creating Adventurous April! I absolutely adore Janetha in general, but I truly appreciate her creation of Adventurous April as I find it incredibly motivating and gives me even more of a reason to do different things than the “usual” :) Thanks, girl <3

Let’s continue celebrating High Five Friday! Link up your HFF post below or comment below and tell me what you are giving yourself a high five for this week!

How do you handle stress?

What are your favourite house “chores”?

Did you check out FLOW today!?

It wouldn’t be a Friday if I didn’t incorporate Lindsay’s FLOW into my post, so here is my Fitness Love of the Week:

My current fitness love is most definitely my new gym shoes!

I did a mini review on my new shoes in the post I linked up above, but a full one is coming soon! :) I am in love with these shoes and they definitely deserve a full post ;)

See you tomorrow with a sweaty post for Sweat It Out Saturday!

Love,
xoxo

Linz @ Itz Linz April 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You sure do have a lot to high five about this week!! I do not like household chores one bit… so that’s the last thing I would do when I am stressed! :) However, I would join you in talking, walking, or a tea date when stressed! :) :)

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Would love to do something relaxing with you :) xo

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig April 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I always relieve my stress in the gym. Or I take a bath, with all the lights turned off. That’s really relaxing :)

I’m giving myself a high five for scoring a job I LOVE!!

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

A billion high fives from me :D

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat April 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I use a lot of those ways to handle stress too… Going for a walk is probably my favorite way to clear my head. Even at work when I can’t actually “go for a walk” sometimes I will just leave my office and walk down the hallway just to separate myself from a stressful situation!! Oh and I’m glad you love your shoes as much as I love mine :) And I’m Also glad you enjoyed the Hunger Games, I thought you would enjoy the underlying story! Lastly, I’m still giving myself a high five for finishing my Masters last Friday, YAY! I think I’ll be celebrating that one for a little while :)

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Well you were totally right babe – I did enjoy it :D Very much!

Did I miss your post about being done your Masters? I am so sorry :( Well congrats! That is amazing! High five x 1000000000000

Kat April 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Girl good for you for being able to handle stress well. I unfortuntely do NOT. Whenever change starts to happen or my usual schedule gets thrown off, I FLIP out. I guess Im controlling that way lol I just dont like to be out of my comfort zone!
As for favorite house chores, I guess dusting? Or cleaning the kitchen. Definitely NOT vacuuming though! I dont know why I hate it so much lol

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I will come vacuum for ya ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I love those shoes! They look perfect for stress-relieving walks. :) That really does help. When I get overwhelmed, taking a break from whatever it is – even when you feel like you can’t – helps a lot.

P.S. You have an award on my blog today. :)

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Oh I definitely love my shoes :D Love love love them <3

I am heading over to your blog now ;) Always do xo

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats April 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Going for a walk is such a good idea. I forget about this one far too often. My biggest stress relievers are being outside, getting pedicures, talking to you and other friends, and sometimes even just trying to take a nap if that is an option! My favorite chore is vacuuming. lol. I think it is kind of fun!

Meg April 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You and I both :D I really enjoy vacuuming! Seriously. So relaxing :)

Alexandra April 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Oh yes, being around positive people sure does help ease stress :) Hope you have a relaxing weekend friend, you deserve it!! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yay! High five for getting through the week! I use a lot of similar techniques to handle stress. We’ll have to do lots of tea dates during exams to stay sane. ;)

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bahh I’m a bad friend…I’m so sorry I totally forgot to write in my high five friday section in my post! I was totally planning on it too! Anyway, you must read the hunger games books! I’ve read each of them twice and absolutely love them. The book is way better than the movie too haha. I hope you have an awesome weekend pretty lady! Love u!! <3

Meg April 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I love how you have read them twice :) OK I will read them ;)

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Love the new yellow shoes- super cute! I wish I enjoyed chores….(wait no I don’t) Ha my husband is so great around the house, he cleans more than I do :)

I would have to say baking or going to the gym is something fun for me, which always relieves stress!

Meghan@themeghamix April 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Thank you for your stress tips! I get overwhelmed thinking about too much at once…so I will keep trying to focus on One. At. A. Time.

Happy Good Friday, lady!

Meg April 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Good job girl :)

Love u

Lisa April 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You had a crazy week! Glad you could handle it well! :) Your dog looks too cute! I agree with being around positive people! Makes me feel tons better when I’m with a group of great friends. I love going for walks to just de-stress and think about things. Yay, I love talking with you too :) I’m getting back to your e-mail asap!!!

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body April 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I can totally relate to finding house chores relaxing when stressed! I have had an insane 2 weeks (hence the disappearance) so can totally relate to the stress you had! I’ve missed reading your posts and am excited to get back into my regular reading schedule :)

Meg April 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I have been missing you babe!!! xo glad you are back :)

Julia @ girl with a stethoscope April 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I am so glad you were able to handle your stressors Meg – that’s huge! I agree that doing chores helps me to de-stress BIG time. I think cleaning in general just puts me at ease.

Thanks for all these tips :)

Meg April 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Awww u are welcome sweetie! LOVE U

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl April 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Great tips to not let stress get the best of you! Not gonna lie, whenever I get stressed, I tend to just shut down. My mind will be going so fast that I just can’t do anything!

Michelle (Better with Berries) April 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I am so behind on blog reading, but I love this post! I can definitely become a little stressed when a lot is going on, and it’s those times when I have trouble falling asleep (I usually never do) even though it’s when we need sleep the most! Taking a second to just breath, like you said, and clear my mind, can usually help a lot.

Love ya sis!