WIAW: Let’s Build Muscle!

WIAW: Let’s Build Muscle!

WIAW: Let’s Build Muscle!

Good morning everyone! :) How was everyone’s Tuesday? Mine? Awesome. It was my first day of following my new training and nutrition plan developed my Tara, so it was extremely exciting :)

I know I don’t do WIAW’s often, but I thought it would be fun to do a WIAW this week seeing as how I am starting a new nutrition plan that has been created for me to help me build some more mass on this bod of mine ;)

Even though this is a “new” nutrition plan that I am following, it is generally the same to what I had been eating all along :) Tara was really happy with the diet plan that I gave her of a “typical day” for me, so the only major changes that she made to my current diet was adding in more healthy fats! :)
I am consuming more carbohydrate post workout, but in total my carbohydrate intake is about the same as before :)
This goes for my protein intake as well; pretty much the same as before, just spread out differently throughout my day :)

Now that you know what’s happening, let’s get this WIAW party started ;)

I was so excited to wake up and start my new day with a new nutrition plan :) Breakfast consisted of a beautiful bowl (literally though, isn’t that a beautiful bowl!?) of oats, puffed kamut, diced apple, and almond milk :)

I doused this with a ton of cinnamon post picture taking ;) Doesn’t cinnamon make everything so much better?

Along with my bowl of oats and cereal, I had a 1 whole egg + 5 egg white omelet :)

Ok, ok so it’s not really an omelette. Call it what you want though, either way it was absolutely delicious ;) I topped it with a roasted red pepper spice and fresh dill :)

Right after breakfast took place, I had my first ever training session provided by Tara :) It was amazing, but the only thing that could have made it better would have been if Tara was there herself :) However, her absence did not stop me from pretending that she was right beside me telling me to push harder ;) Oh, and hard I pushed! While I was doing the incline leg presses in the co-ed part of the gym I was causing some heads to turn ;) Male heads ;)

After my very successful sweat sesh, I refueled with a bowl of protein oats cooked with an apple cooked into the mix, as well :)

Not pretty at all, but who cares? That’s the beauty of a food blog. I know all of the other foodies out there know despite the ugliness of a bowl of oats it is bound to be delicious :D

Lunch was probably the best meal of the day. I got creative with my salad and it turned out beautiful, so a photo shoot was only necessary.

I’ve been in quite the “sweet potato rut” lately, so I cooked up some quinoa and thoroughly enjoyed the change :)

I studied for the entire afternoon, but breaked for snack time obviously ;)

chicken, almonds, baked sweet potato, and sweet mini bell peppers

Since it’s spring, I crave salads consistently. So, dinner was another beautiful salad :)

My favourite topping for salads is mashed avocado :) I use it as a dressing; it is the best dressing ever in my opinion :)

Before bed, I cozied up on the couch, watched A Walk to Remember and enjoyed the usual casein “fudge” topped with almond butter

And there you have it, friends! :) A day in the life of eats of yours truly ;)

What were my overall thoughts of my new nutrition plan?
I loved it. It made me feel great and I know it’s fuelling my body properly throughout the entire day :) It kept me feeling full throughout the day which was great because there were times when I was following LiveFit that I would get quite hungry throughout the day, so I had to increase my portions sizes, but clearly Tara knows her stuff and me and made this program perfectly suited for me and my body :)

I am loving the extra fat content in my diet, too. It was increased approximately by 10 grams which is great! Fat keeps me feeling full and provides me with so much energy :) And, to be honest, I think it’s my favourite food group ;) HA! Well, avocado is my favourite food… and it is a healthy fat ;) So, we’ll just go with that ;)

Time to get this booty to the gym, though! See ya! xoxo :)

What is your bedtime snack of choice? I go kind of crazy if I don’t have my casein ;) It’s so delicious you have to give it a try!

What is your favourite salad topper? Hands down avocado for me!

Do you ever pretend you have someone at the gym pushing you to go harder? I find Tara incredibly motivating and she totally knows her stuff :) She trains hard when she’s at the gym, so I most definitely pretend she is there with me pushing me along the way ;) I also think of Sable a lot, too ;) She gave some great tips on doing bench presses properly, so now I always think of her when I do my bench presses ;)

Keep fuelling that beautiful body of yours!

xoxoxo

Tags: ,

59 Comments

thanks for sharing your plan. I’ve never tried casein. My favourite bed time snack is cereal with cottage cheese or a banana and nut butter.

Mmmmm :) I used to do cottage cheese too :) Perfect bed time snack my dear! XO

Megan

April 11, 2012

Your plan sounds great! My trainer also advised me to eat more healthy fats, and I think it’s one of the reasons I’ve had such great success. Avo, olive oil, peanut butter, almond butter, full fat Greek yoghurt, even the occasional blob of butter . . . mmmmm!

I don’t always have a bedtime snack because I am usually too full from dinner. If I do, it’s usually cottage cheese and nut butter or protein powder, a little water and nut butter

My fav salad topper is avo also :-)

Hehehe oh girl ;) We are so alike xo

Khushboo Thadani

April 11, 2012

I’ve said it before Meg but you really are an inspiration with your workouts- I can just picture you pushing yourself to the max :)! All your eats sound/look delicious and I’m glad that this plan has started off so well! I can’t seem to call it a night until I’ve ended with my Greek yogurt, strawberries and almonds…such a satisfying treat to round up the day!

April 11, 2012

Oooo Greek yogurt is a great way to end off the day! Before I experienced casein I would make protein ice cream with Greek yogurt and a scoop of protein powder and then freeze it :) Ice cream before bed!? Yes please ;)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

April 11, 2012

Woohoo you go girl! So happy for you :D Seriously, healthy fats are my favorite. Hello nut butter <3 I craaave salads 24/7 haha especially in the summer :)
    I want to try casein! But for now I have whipped cottage cheese and nut butter.
    Sooo many great salad toppings, but I'd have to say tomato since I have it almost every salad.

I love reading WIAW posts that are targeted on a nutrition plan– it makes you realize how much you really CAN eat without going overboard.

Looks like you had some great eats here! And what exactly is casein fudge? haha Maybe I’m out of the loop..

April 11, 2012

It’s ok babe ;) No worries ;) Remember what I said… tomorrow’s post is all for you ;)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig

April 11, 2012

I loved this post! If only all my clients wrote blogs like this so I could spy on them, hehe ;) I know you were wondering about your portions for some of the meals, but everything is PERFECT! Good job! You eat so many vegetables – you’re making me feel guilty… I’ve been slacking on the vegies lately!

April 11, 2012

Oh my gosh my veg intake is out of control :)

Linz @ Itz Linz

April 11, 2012

your day of eats look awesome per usual! i love avacados, as well! the other day i got 3 for $1 at the farmers market! score!

Ah! I don’t pretend that there’s someone there–I try to rope someone into it OR go to a class instead. There’s a killer TRX one at our gym on Thursdays, girl. It would be life changing (you think I’m kidding)–the instructor is legitimately the most inspiring person I’ve ever met and is all about finding your STRENGTH and your POWER. Just a suggestion! I’m also known for being loud at the gym… ;)

April 11, 2012

I would love to try out TRX :) Make a date with me sometime?? ;)

Alexandra

April 11, 2012

Your plan sounds awesome! I’m lovin your breakfast bowl and that snack plate with the peppers is so colorful! I bet your bod is lovin the fuel, woohoo for muscle building!! :D
    My favorite nighttime snack– cottage cheese, peanut flour, whey, and peanut butter frozen for 30ish minutes and them mashed up nom nom :D

What a beautiful salad, and bowl! I love pretty bowls, they make meals so much more fun :) All these meals look fantastically filled with protein, which is always great! My favourite salad topper is tahini! :)

April 11, 2012

Pretty bowls definitely make meals better :D

The oats may be ugly, but we all know they were good. Hey, at least the salad was really pretty! :)

roasted red pepper spice? i need that!

April 11, 2012

It’s a club house seasoning – roasted red pepper and garlic! one of my favourites xo

Kat

April 11, 2012

yay for protein!! and yummy fats :):)
    As for a night time snack, well I guess it depends on the season. Right now its naner soft serve with some cocoa powder/coconut oil sauce drizled on top!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes

April 11, 2012

Did you eat all those bell peppers??..oh I see now that is says mini bell peppers…they look full size to me, lol. More healthy fats is a good addition. I’ve been trying to work in a tablespoon of olive oil everyday because I find it helps my um, system :), also I think olive oil is the most delicious liquid in the world.

April 11, 2012

it helps my system too ;)

Ali Mc

April 11, 2012

I am in 100% agreement with you – I love avocado on my salad! and in pasta salads too….and (and maybe this is weird) but I LOVE it on top of grilled chicken…it’s yum!

Leila A

April 11, 2012

Sounds great!!! Looks like this plan is going really great for you! Can’t wait to hear more about it :)

tamsin

hi meg
    great post as always, as someone who is also trying to build muscle,it was really good to see your eats for the day.
    just wondering if you count your calories or track your macros for carb/fat/protein. if so what would you say they are roughly? i never know how much protein is needed to build muscle! thanks
    tam

Hey girl!

Just wondering – did you not receive my email? I replied to you right away answering your q’s! :) xo

Anyways, to answer your questions

No I don’t count my cals because it stressed me out and it really wasn’t worth it. I am not worrying about macro’s right now either because my trainer developed a plan for me, so I am just following that since she knows her stuff ;)

A good macro breakdown for building muscle is 40/40/20 though :D I have used that before! Xo

tamsin

April 12, 2012

oh yes i did! sorry it got mixed into a lot of junk mail that i tend to skip over – thanks so much for your reply.
        tamx :)

Danica @ It's Progression

April 11, 2012

I agree that cinnamon makes everything better : )
    I love adding quinoa and sunflower seeds to my salads!

April 11, 2012

Ooooo nuts in salads are amazing :)

Yay for more healthy fats! I love avocado too! I’m eating some on my tuna sandwich right now actually. :D

My favourite bedtime snack is cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and granola with some mix ins (pumpkin, cocoa powder, berries, etc). I seriously eat that EVERY single night haha.

ugly food is always the best in my opinion ;)

for a bedtime snack, i like greek yogurt mixed with berries. i just had it last night!

Sable@SquatLikeALady

April 11, 2012

It’s interesting to see a full day of eats for you! Just curious – are you taking progress pics along the way?

April 11, 2012

Haha YES! I sent Tara my progress pics :) ;) So we will both see how this goes ;)

Yum, everything looks delicious! My usual night time snack is a smoothie or oatmeal :). And I LOVE adding feta cheese to my salads! Hope you’re having a great Wednesday love! <3 xxoo

Courtney

April 11, 2012

Looks lovely and delicious my dear! I’m a huge salad fan too because of the fact that you can literally ADD ANYTHING! I’m a big oatmeal/yogurt mix girl before bed but I want to switch it up and try some new things.

Emma

April 11, 2012

Gorgeous salad! So yummy looking and pretty.

I probably need to add in some healthy fats as well. Any excuse to eat avocado works for me!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat

April 11, 2012

Tara recommended Protein Oats post workout instead of a shake?

I fall in and out of love with Casein, sometimes I think Casein pudding is amazing and other days I can’t stand it- it’s really wierd!!

April 11, 2012

No she wants me to have a shake plus one meal afterward. I can do a WIAW next week showing that, but I slept in, so she told me if that ever happens to do what I did above :)

Taylor

April 11, 2012

This is SO inspiring! Honestly – I started up again about two weeks ago with a trainer thatI used to work with when I was younger, and in those two weeks I have definitely expressed fears/concerns of mine with balancing exercise/eating enough/not over-exercising, etc and pretty much my trainer is like…”TRUST ME. I will NOT steer you wrong!” and so she’s given me a nutrition plan/exercise plan, yet I still find myself doubting and taking matters into my own hands.

Seeing this reminds me that I NEED to fuel my body, even though it’s harder for me to do so on the “off” days of exercise, you know?

Thanks for being such an inspiration, Meg!

PS- You fell off the face of the earth after I responded to that email awhile back! :)

April 11, 2012

I know I am so sorry :( My school schedule is crazy, love! I am so sorry.

I am glad this post could help though! Trust your trainer! Like you said, they want what is best for you and will only take you down the correct path :) Don’t stress. Follow their plan! They know what they are doing! :)

Caitlin

April 11, 2012

great recap of your eats, meg! that dill with the eggs looks so good. i had dill last night in this big bowl of leftovers i ate for dinner. and it included – SALMON! of course :D

your salad looks good too. bring on the avocado!

my addiction in terms of bedtime snacks is greek yogurt with fruit or carby mix-in like a crumbled bar or granola.

April 11, 2012

dill and salmon is heaven ;)

Lisa

April 11, 2012

Your new plan sounds like it will be good for you! OMG. I just tried dill out yesterday, it is bomb. So freakin good haha. We really are foodie twins :) I think I got to up my healthy fat intake too! Maybe increase my calories a bit, since I would like to build some muscle! Love youuuu, have a great day!

I’m PSYCHED for you for your new plan!! The eggs & salad look amazing girl :-D You rock! SO proud of you!!

April 11, 2012

you just made my day :) love u bbgirl

I LOVE my casein before bed too and I’m very sad I’m going to have to give it up for a couple of weeks! Oh well, I’ll survive. Can’t wait to see the results of your new plan!!

April 11, 2012

From reading your blog I knew you loved your casein ;) But like you said, you will survive a short time without it :) I am loving your posts, as usual girl! I am so excited for you! You are doing amazing things xo

katie

April 11, 2012

Hi, I am looking for a simple, healthy plan. But I’m not a weightlifter or anyting. I’m in my mid thirties and I walk daily and every couple of days I’ll do some pushups and stuff (I have no gym, so I kind of a noob :)
    Since I don’t wish to weight lift (but would enjoy to be more fit, but not sure how without money to pursue things? No dependable at-home laptop either).
    Anyway, I require about 2000 calories per day. I prefer higher protein and fat, but I htink carbs are important even if I’m not exercising other than walking, right?
    Do you have a suggestion where to find such plan? Like a plan like yours wouldn’t be suitbale for someone I just described above I guess right?
    Yummy eggs , I heart eggs and avocado and rice cakes and quinoa.

April 11, 2012

Of course carbs are important! :) Everyone needs their carbohydrates!!!!

It sounds like you just need a healthy meal plan :) I would suggest following My Pyramid if you are living in the US or Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide if you are a fellow Canadian :D !! I followed the Canada’s Food Guide for years when I was just walking and doing other exercises like yourself :)

Hope that helps! xo

katie

April 12, 2012

Really? You did? That gives me hope then. I think 2000 is what I’d need (or maybe more than 2000 cals)…I worry I eat all wrong to be honest, in my thirties now and only a walker. But I eat a lot of protein and fat, and have really increased my grains. I just need to stop my mindless bedtime munching. I eat a lot at bedtime!

I almost always have to have some type of chocolate before bed, but I’m trying to have fruit instead. But not always – I love chocolate too much!
    I have just gotten into eating more salads in the past year or so and I think I have to agree that avocado is the best topping – so good!
    Sometimes I pretend that Jillian Michaels is there yelling at me to work harder. And I think it works!

Glad to see you’re loving your new personal training – it sounds awesome! Love you!

Thanks babe :D I LOVE YOU TOO

peanutbutterlover

April 11, 2012

I noticed you said casein protein powder. I currently can’t eat any dairy/whey, so what exactly is casein and how does it compare? (If you don’t know, that’s okay… I’m just curious!) LUV the sweet potato!

April 11, 2012

you are in luck girlfriend! ;) Tomorrow’s post is ALL about casein!!!!

April 11, 2012

Ha! I ate almost that exact salad the other day. Don’t know how I feel about the combination of beets and avocado… even though I love them both separately!

I have been eating SO many sweet potatoes lately (well not so much no that I’ve moved into phase 3) with almond butter and cinnamon. MMM!

My favorite bedtime snack is probably tea and toast!

Natasha

April 11, 2012

so much tasty food! what is the casein pudding though?

Loving your MUSCLE BUILDING eats, girl!! So excited for you too! Everything looks absolutely delicious–especially that gorge lunchtime salad you created. (Definitely photo shoot worthy) ;)

I think you already know about my favorite nighttime snack, but I’ll remind you just in case. ;) Whipped cottage cheese (to a pudding-texture) topped with ground flax, peanut butter and a sprinkling of granola for crunch. I’d love to try your casein fudge though! How do you make it?

Oh, and are you SORE or are you SORE? I’m still feeling the leg workout (and I did it Monday!).

Love you! xoxo

Life's a Bowl

April 12, 2012

Spring definitely has me craving salads too… Avocados have been on sale at TJ’s lately so I’ve been buying a bag of 4 and averaging one a day :P And to think that I used to hate the things, now I can’t get enough of ‘em!