High Five Friday #13: Personal Bests

by Meg on April 27, 2012

FRIDAY!?

You bet it is ;)

Before we get our High Five Friday party pants on I need to cover a few things first:

1. Apparently I need to try roasting my squash with the skin on? After yesterdays post, I learnt that the majority of you just leave the skin on! Next time I bake a squash I will leave the skin on and see what all the hype is about ;)

2. My finals are over and I am done my third year of university! :) One step closer to the dream ;)
And now that I am done studying, I will be back to my usual commenting on your wonderful blogs! I have definitely been slacking on the comments lately, sorry friends :( I really do feel bad when I miss out commenting on your blogs because I know the joy I feel when I receive comments on my posts <3

As sad as it is, sometimes school > blog commenting :(

But not to fear! I am back ;)

3. I have learnt a lot this year; especially within the past month. I study very effectively with others! I studied for all of my final exams this term with other students and I definitely learn by discussing the material out loud with others! This is something I will have to remember for next year.

4. Tomorrow my vacation begins! :D I am really excited for my trip to Barbados, but I have to say… I may be more excited to see these two people ;)

Daddy & Mommy (a.k.a. my best friends!)

Alright, now it’s party time! Who’s ready for some High Five Friday celebration!?

This week’s HFF is all about personal bests! :D
I’ve come across quite a few personal records being broken this week and new ones being made and I think they need to be recognized because I personally know how exhilarating it is when a new personal best is made :D Just this week I squatted more than I ever have before.

I have definitely been pushing myself harder in the gym ever since I began my new program, but this post also helped me realize that I may be able to give a little extra push as well ;)

It’s definitely all about the mindset for me. A few times this week a grabbed a weight that I was scared of and then ended up surprised myself! :) Sometimes you just have to tell yourself that you can lift the heavier weight. Believe you can do it and you will ;)

A high five goes out to Alexis! This girl reached a goal that I am currently working towards – unassisted pull ups! She was able to an unassisted pull up and capture a picture of it, too! Check out her exciting post here to read more about her success!

A high five goes out to Alexandra! My jaw dropped when I read about her new personal best – an upright row using 70 lbs.! Can you say inspiration!?

A high five goes out to Tara! She reached a new personal best with her deadlifts this week (even while she was feeling a bit under the weather!) and I couldn’t be more happier for her! :)

Reaching a new personal best is a big deal because sometimes it takes forever to get there. If you were making new PR’s in the gym every week you probably aren’t pushing yourself as hard as you could be ;) So, if you didn’t make a new personal record in a while don’t feel discouraged. Be proud of what you are doing and where you are right now. Keep working towards your goals and you’ll keep making progress :)

I know we all work hard, whether it be in the gym or not, we all deserve a high five for working so hard each and every day to reach our goals! :)

What were your successes this week? If you have a High Five Friday post make sure you link up below! :)
They don’t have to be fitness related! Anything goes ;)

Did you reach a personal best this week?

What is a current fitness related goal of yours?

What is a non-fitness related goal of yours?

Tomorrow will be my last post before I leave for Barbados, so make sure you stop by! :)

Love you!

xoxoxoxo

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts April 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Yay Megsy! Honestly, you have changed my outlook with all of your positivity! I’m so glad you’re loving your new program with Tara. I’m definitely planning on signing up for one once this moving cr@p is over.

So excited that you’ve finished your third year! Do you know, in NZ a Bachelor’s degree only takes three years? And I swear we only spend about five months of the year at Uni! Slack!!

Love you :D I’ve just done a High Five post, but has do it from my phone as I got rushed out of work early today (not that I’m complaining or anything!)

Nearly holiday time whoop whoop! Very much deserved xx

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats April 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Great work pushing yourself again this week with your new program! My current fitness goals are to lean out, increase my running mileage, and gain more confidence to lift heavier. A non-fitness related goal of mine is to embrace what I love doing versus trying to please others and do what others like to do because I want to meet new people here so badly. I am going to miss you dearly on your trip! Hope you have such an amazing time!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 27, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Yay for being done with school!!! I hope you have soo much fun in barbados. And congrats on your personal best! Such a great feeling, isn’t it? :D

Alexandra April 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Aww thanks for the shout out Meg!! I wuv you sista :)
And holy cow high five to YOU on your squat PR!! How exciting!!! Sounds like the perfect way to kick off summer break. Have a wonderful trip home and a great weekend!
Ps– I plan on emailing you back after class this morning :)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig April 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Aww thank you for the blog love :) I think making a PR through me over the edge though, because that night I was so sick!! Probably the worst night yet, although I’m starting to feel better today.

I’m proud of you for reaching your PRs! I’m so glad you’re pushing yourself to the limit :D

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM

have a great trip, lady!!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy April 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

YAY FOR VACAY! With a family you love. HAve so much fun :)

Sable@SquatLikeALady April 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Congrats on the PR! =) I’ve reached the land of very very infrequent PRs in my own lifting =( BUT I still celebrate every extra half-rep I can push out during a max-effort set because I know it means I’ll get another whole rep soon, and then be able to add weight to the bar! =D

My linkup post is not precisely a PR… in fact it’s a celebration of my average-ness. BUT I think average can be just as great as above average depending on your attitude =D

Linz @ Itz Linz April 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Go YOU!!!! You’re awesome. Obviously. I did try 3 new workouts this week which is always fun. :) And now you’re talking about leaving the skin on for squash?? I’m so confused lol. Do you eat the skin or is it easier to peel off once it’s cooked? A non-fitness related goal yet health related goal I have is to stop mindless munching! Ah this week I have been really bad with that!

Kat April 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Barbados huh? Lucky girl :) I hope you have a wonderful time!! Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt April 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Woohoo, congrats on the squat PB! Have fun in Barbados, I am so jealous!!

char eats GREENS April 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Yay for being done 3rd year! I just got all my marks back last night and it was refreshing to see them! I actually did my best in stats…who woulda thought?! I actually secretly really like stats haha. Have a great vacay!!!

Kate @ Work in Progress April 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM

CONGRATS on your new PR’s girl!!!!!! You must be on cloud 9 right now – it feels SO good to be making huge breakthroughs like that!! and obviously huge congrats on finishing your 3rd year of undergrad as well! My junior year was probably my toughest year academically and I remember being sooooo relieved to take my last final and go home haha. have SO MUCH FUN in Barbados, you deserve it!!! :-D

Alex @ therunwithin April 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Totally try it with the skin on, you will be a changed person. So yum. Jealous of that vacation, have a blast!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale April 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

HOORAY for your being done-zo with finals and your trip to Barbados!!! I sufficiently jealous – but in the best possible way, of course. ;-) I totally agree – GOTTA keep pushin’.

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Congrats on finishing finals!! I’m sure you feel such relief to take a rest. Also great job on your PR for squats!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Congrats on being DONE!!! Enjoy that vaca, love. :)

My best this week… not terribly exciting, but I have walked 10K+ steps or more every day. I didn’t realize how HARD that is to do when you have a desk job!

Yellow Haired Girl April 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yippeeeeee for being done! That’s gotta feel good. Enjoy Barbados – you deserve that vacay :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Yay for being done! I hope you’re enjoying relaxing now. Can’t wait to see you tonight! :)

Also congrats to all those ladies for their PRs!

Annette@ FitnessPerks April 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

WAHOO for Vacation!!! ENJOY IT :)

For personal bests this week, I ran a 1/2 marathon with NO training in 1:56. That was pretty rad. (It was no PR, but still!) hah.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Yay for being done with your third year of undergrad!!! That deserves a high five as well! I also work really well by talking things out. I also learn by explaining things to others. :)

Barabados sounds so amazing!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

And also, blog commenting is always the first thing to go for me when I’m busy. It’s so much easier to read through a lot of posts in Google reader when you don’t have to click out to comment. :)

Katie April 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Oh yay!!!! Enjoy your vacation tomorrow!!! How awesome! Your mom and dad are so sweet, how cute they are!

Enjoy your trip and just kick back girl!!! Lots of love to you!!

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl April 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

woooo! congrats on finishing your third year :) enjoy that break for suree

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yea girl! Awesome job on pushing yourself at the gym :). Also, congrats on being done with your 3rd year!!! That is so exciting! Have such an awesome time on vacation. Can’t wait to hear all about it <3

Lisa April 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Love you and your positivity. So jealous of your trip to Barbados! You’ll have so much fun in the sun! Lucky girl. Great job with all your successes and being doing with school this semester. Go out and celebrate :)

Ellie April 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Well done on your finals being over Meg! I love how positive this post is. Your posts always brighten my day! I am so excited for your Barbados holiday and spending time with your parents. Have a great weekend Meg! Xx

Sarah @ the Brain and Body April 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Congrats on being done, I totally know what you mean about commenting. Enjoy your trip to the barbados, you totally some deserve some long relaxation time!

Christina @ The Athletarian April 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Woohoo!! Third year! Congrats my love! You are amazing :) I’m so jealous of your trip! You are going to have a blast. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Meg April 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Oh I am so jealous of your trip to Barbados! I hope you absolutely have a BLAST!! Way to go on picking up a higher weight, I definitely surprised myself a few times doing live fit with how much I really could lift!

My personal best was getting a 92% on my super hard pre-calculus test today! Oh man, I studied SO hard for HOURS and I was really stressed out/feeling unprepared going into the test. I was so shocked when I saw my grade! Sure glad that’s over!!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I’m so so proud of you, Meg!! Accomplishing a new PR in the weight room is such a fantastic feeling! Keep going and getting ‘em, girlfriend! You’re so right–sometimes mental strength turns into physical strength…If we BELIEVE it, we can DO it. :-D

Congrats on finishing your third year! I’m excited that you get to celebrate your accomplishments in Barbados–how fun! Will you be blogging on your trip or recapping when you get back? Either way, I can’t wait to hear all about it! Love you!! xoxo <3

Khushboo April 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM

YAY for being done with exams and the PR- way to go! One of my fitness goals is to be able to do at least 10 ‘real’ press ups in one go- it’s always been an area where I’ve struggled!! This week I set a new lunge PB and it felt so good- never thought I’d be able to increase my lunge weight to this amount :)! Have the best time on holiday with your parents ;)!