Guest Post: A Twist on Your Usual Sushi Roll

by Meg on April 30, 2012

Hello loves! :D Gosh, it has only been a day and I already miss you! I can’t wait to get back on do a recap of my trip ;)

However, before that happens I have a ton of amazing guest posts to share with you! Today, we have a recipe from one of the sweetest and most creative bloggers I know. She is a whiz in the kitchen and never ceases to amaze me! Enjoy! :D

Hello Dash of Meg readers!!

My name’s Lindsay and I blog over at The Lean Green Bean. I’m just finishing up my last year of school and in the fall I’ll start my Dietetic Internship so that I can officially become a Registered Dietitian. Meg is absolutely, positively one of the sweetest people I’ve ever “known” and I’m so happy I came across her blog last year! I was so honored when she asked me to write a guest post for her but it took me a while to come up with something fun to post about.

One thing I love about Meg is how much she adores food. You can tell just from reading her blog how happy it makes her! If you read her blog for any length of time you’ll quickly realize how much she loves sushi.

I, on the other hand, am not a sushi fan. My hubby likes it, my parents like it, my friends like it…I just can’t get into it. If I’m being honest, eating raw fish creeps me out. So does eating seaweed. BUT, I like the idea of sushi! And I’m really trying to like the veggie rolls….I’ll get there. Some day.

Anyways, as I was thinking about Meg and her love for sushi, I remembered this fun lunch I idea I used to make all the time a few years ago. It’s kinda fallen out of my rotation, so I decided this would be the perfect time to add it back in- and share it with you!

I currently don’t eat meat, but I do eat seafood. So I make these with canned tuna, or leftover (COOKED) salmon if I have it :) And lots of veggies. My favorites are avocado, carrots and red peppers.

Fun fact about this little project- I happened to find some purple carrots at the grocery store and decided to use them when I made this. Turns out they look a lot like raw tuna! Which only makes this lunch that much more fun! But just so you know, regular carrots work just fine!

So, ready to roll?

Here’s what you need:

• Tuna/Salmon/Chicken/Chickpea salad- use your favorite recipe. I make mine with a can of tuna, some plain greek yogurt, green onion, red peppers and usually some curry powder and dried mustard
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • Cooked brown rice
  • Fresh spinach
  • Fillings- try red peppers, carrots, avocado

Directions:
1. Spread the tuna salad on the tortilla.
2. Top with a layer of brown rice.
3. Add a layer of spinach.
4. Top with the fillings.
5. Tightly roll the tortilla up and slice into pieces with a sharp knife.

Clearly, from these pictures, you can tell that my downfalls are that my knives desperately need sharpening and that I’m not very good at rolling things tightly- But you get the idea :)

Enjoy, friends! And feel free to stop by The Bean and check out some of my other recipes and workouts! I love making new friends :)

–Lindsay–

Thanks to Lindsay for a wonderful guest post! This recipe looks absolutely amazing and I will most definitely be giving it a try once I get home! :D

Do you like sushi?

Does the thought of eating raw fish creep you out?

What is your favourite type of cuisine?

Kate @ Work in Progress April 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM

These look SO fun!!! I’m not a huge sushi fan either, but most of the other people in my life are obsessed…this looks like an excellent compromise. Thanks lindsay! :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

you’re welcome! and if you don’t like tuna, you could use chickpeas or canned chicken…

Linz @ Itz Linz April 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Mmmm! I do love sushi, but have never tried to make it at home! These don’t look TOO difficult! :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

oh girl, i KNOW you could handle these :)

Alex @ therunwithin April 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yum, such a great idea!

nadège April 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM

WOW looks good !!!! love everything rolled ! haha :D
I prefer maki instead of sushi, but like them too (yummmmmmy california rolls !)
Does it surprise you if I say that my favorite food is the french one :):):) so tasty ! Seriously, what’s better than a “baguette” ^^
I’m fond of indian food as well : love curry (I put some on everything^^) and really appreciate when it’s spicy and have hot flavors
;)

Yellow Haired Girl April 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I LOVE sushi! It might actually be my favorite type of cuisine (although somedays I could commit a crime for Mexican). These look great … I think I would make these for kids who are skittish about sushi/raw fish. Have you seen candy sushi? You use fruit roll ups to wrap a whole bunch of goodies in. Not the healthiest, but definitely colorful!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

i have! those are so cute! i think kids would definitely love this version!

char eats GREENS April 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Such a good idea, Lindsay!!! I can’t wait for the day that you like sushi, though ;)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

haha maybe someday! the hubby is working on it!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats April 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Oooh :) What a tasty and creative idea! I am all about my sushi! It is a must once a week in my life! The idea of eating raw fish creeps me out a little bit but since it only happens once a week I don’t think I am going to get mercury poisoning or anything! lol.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes April 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Okay I can get down with THIS recipe. I do not like sushi and I need my fish cooked. To anymore normal person I “burn” all my fish :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

well then this is the perfect solution! i’m the same way :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I like sushi, but I’m not obsessed with it like so many are! I can go with or without it :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I love veggie sushi – I just wish more restaurants were more creative with it (sushi actually has nothing to do with fish, it’s all about the rice!). I love the looks of this roll – yum! :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

thanks girl!

Lisa April 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

This is such a good idea! I can’t get into raw fish either, creeps me out a little ;) Although, I do love veggie sushi!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

sounds like this is right up your alley then! enjoy :)

crystal April 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Hey Meg!

I am in week 2, phase 1 of livefit. I’m needing some desperate encouragement because feeling like I gained weight — not sure if it’s more fat on top of muscle, or water retention — probably both, sigh. I broke my no cardio today and ran 3 miles to sweat it out…but I’m keeping my protein high. Do you think it’s possible to “cut” while “bulking” muscle? Like maybe cardio on non-lifting days as long as I keep my protein up? (should I stick to 1 g protein p/lb or more?)

Thanks!!!!

Ali Mc April 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

what a great idea! I am bookmarking this in my healthy recipes :) and can’t wait for meg to come home!!! but loved this guest post!

Rande McDaniel @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen April 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM

OMG my seaweed-hating ladyfriend is going to LOVE these.

jolene June 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I’m totally the same way about sushi, love the idea but…… blech! These look so fun, hahaha im totally going to try them!