Inspired to Read

by Meg on May 29, 2012

So, you can officially say I am addicted to tofu ;) I think my girl,Heather, would be proud? ;)

(I enjoyed another bowl of this yesterday, but in a different flavour! Recipe soon to come!)

Heather is one of the many bloggers who inspires me on a daily basis. When I see the beautiful meals she enjoys I instantly become inspired to eat more plant-based foods and not rely so heavily on meats; however, I could never completely go without.

It is fair to say that I am inspired by all of you on a daily basis in so many different ways! It is so incredible!

One of my other friends twins, Caitlin, has inspired me to start reading more! This girl polishes off books like it’s her day job! I am always amazed when I hear that she’s starting yet another book! I found myself becoming slightly jealous of her commitment to reading and wished that I could do the same and then I though to myself, I can do whatever I want to do. If I truly want to read I can.

Saying that “I have no time” is such a lame excuse and I use it far too much. If I can drool over the recipes on Foodgawker for hours on end I am pretty sure I can find some time within my day to read.

So, I am happy to say I have recently started my first book of the summer and I am so excited! :) But what makes me even more excited is that with this new goal of mine, to read more, I have created a challenge for myself and you! (If you want to join in that is!)

This week, I started to read The Magic by Rhonda Byrne

If you are not familiar with this book here is a brief description:

“For more than twenty centuries, words within a sacred text have mystified, confused, and been misunderstood by almost all who read them. Only a very few people through history have realized that the words are a riddle, and that once you solve the riddle – once you uncover the mystery – a new world will appear before your eyes.

In The Magic, Rhonda Byrne reveals this life-changing knowledge to the world. Then, on an incredible 28-day journey, she teaches you how to apply this knowledge in your everyday life.

No matter who you are, no matter where you are, no matter what your current circumstances, The Magic is going to change your entire life!”

Source

I am so excited to begin my 28-day journey towards living a life with more gratitude. I have read all of the introductory material so far and will begin Day 1 on June 1st. I will read each passage the night before, so on May 31st, before I go to bed, I will read how to practice gratitude for the next day. The book suggested to do this because some of the practices will be done upon waking up.

I got so excited about this book, and the journey it takes you on, that I immediately told my bbffl (best blog friend for life) and asked if she would like to read the book and practice gratitude along with me! She obviously agreed, so the two of us are going to be started Day 1 together on Thursday night! :)

I want to welcome anyone else who is interested to do the same! :) I think it is so important to be grateful for the life we have been blessed with and if this book can teach me how to practice gratitude more fully I am all for it! :)

Another friend of mine, Brittany, also inspired me this week when she mentioned that she just began a bible study online! Brittany’s post came at just the right time; it was like she read my mind! Just this week I had been thinking about doing more bible reading, but didn’t know how to start, so when I found out about You Version and the Soul Detox I joined immediately joined in! Soul Detox is the plan that I am currently following and here is a brief description about it:

“We are not a body with a soul. We are a soul with a body. While the world rightly teaches us to detox our bodies, sometimes we need to detox our soul. This 35-day plan will help you identify what’s chipping away at your soul, and what’s getting in the way of you becoming the person who God created you to be. You will learn from God’s Word how you can neutralize these damaging influences and embrace clean living for your soul.”

Source

I am so excited to be started two new readings! The both seem like they will be good for the soul :)

Unlike before, I do not feel overwhelmed by finding the time to read. Each day I will read one chapter from The Magic and one reading from the Soul Detox. It is an attainable goal and I know I am capable of this :)

Having Abby and Brittany reading along with me with keep me accountable, though! ;)

If you would like to join in on any of the above journeys with me I encourage you to leave me a comment below and let me know that you are wanting to join in! :) The more the merrier ;)

Have you read The Magic? I am only 29 pages in, but I know it’s a winner! :) If you can get your hands on this book before June 1st let me know and we can take the journey with me <3

Do you belong to Goodreads or YouVersion? I am a new member to both, so feel free to add me as a friend if you are a member too! :)
You can find me on Goodreads here and YouVersion here.

Do you find it difficult to find the time to read? I am so proud of myself for making the commitment and finally making “reading time” :)

Tomorrow I will be updating you on my training seeing as how it has been ages since I talked about it last ;)

Love you all!

xoxoxoxo

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 29, 2012 at 8:02 AM

The Magic looks a lot like The Secret. Is it similar? I would probably like it!

Kelsey May 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Well my darling YOU inspire me everyday with your fab recipes and inspiration! Especially when discussing the ever so infamous ED( darn him/her/it) Thanks for being an amazing incredible source of information! I feel like I know you through reading everyday! I’ve actually decided now to start my own little bloggy so hopefully soon I’ll be in more contact :D

Sarah @ the Brain and Body May 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I really want to check out this soul detox thing, it sounds really interesting. I read a non fiction Christian book every night as part of a new years resolution I started. I find Christian non fiction to be so inspiring. You should check out So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore when you are done the Magic :)

Kimberly May 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I just started the Soul Detox readings (Day 2) and they are great. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on them.

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

That book sounds really interesting! After we moved I was getting back into reading, but now I’m so busy again :( Work is ruining my life! Haha I’m going to try to leave soon, but then I have to go to the gym (HATE afternoon workouts!) and then clean our whole apartment, then write two programs and THEN email my girl <3

Alex @ therunwithin May 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

can’t wait for this recipe! I love the soul detox thing or at least the message behind it. I need to get back into reading books.

Yellow Haired Girl May 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Hmm! Interesting! I haven’t read that one … but I’m a super big nerd. I guess I don’t blog about it very much. But I read a lot – glad you’re jumping on that train too :)

robfiasco @ run2thehills May 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

congrats on reading more!!! add me on goodreads! :)

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat May 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Aah! I have so much to catch up on after my trip!! I’m about to go back and read some of your posts from the past week, but I just wanted to take a second to say hello, and that You inspire me every day! I do love to read, and try to read at least a little bit every day. Good luck with your challenges, I’m sure you will love them, and I’m excited to hear what you think about The Magic!

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I just joined YouVersion last night!

I’m always looking for new books so The Magic sounds great :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Good for you for dedicating more time to reading! It’s something that so many drop once they leave school, so yay for you! Is The Magic linked to The Secret at all or is she taking a whole new tack with this one?

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Hey girl! Are you Christian? Only asking because I’m pretty sure books such as The Secret are not consistent with Christian beliefs. I just had to throw that out there. I’m not judging anyone’s beliefs by ANY means because that’s not my place! But you mentioned the Bible study, so I felt like I should mention that. Hope that makes sense. Love ya, girl! :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness May 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I absolutely LOVE the secret series of books…they’re amazing, inspiring, and really happiness-inducing! I totally believe that you get back what you put out, and definitely love to cultivate an attitude of gratitude. Have you seen the movie? The Secret – I have it on DVD, and I really love to watch it when I am feeling down or lost or anything…it’s so uplifiting and positive! <3 xyx

Linz @ Itz Linz May 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

i go through phases of reading… sometimes i read all the time and sometimes i don’t read for weeks! now that it’s summertime i’m hoping to do a lot more reading! glad you found a new book! :)

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat May 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I wish I enjoyed reading, but I seriously just get so bored when I read. I think this comes from reading boring material in college- I’m was a business major so it wasn’t often I read something super exciting.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I always make time to read. Such important “me” time.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I love books like that- I’m very into spirality and learning more about myself!

Caitlin May 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m so glad we are now Goodreads friends (in addition to being life-friends :-D haha) and I’m proud of you for reading! And honored that I inspired you to get back into it. I love the inspiration this whole blog world gives all of us day after day. There is inspiration for EVERYONE!

Lisa May 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’ve read that book, its a great read! I love to read, I probably average reading about 2 books per week, sometimes less if I’m busy. I’m a book worm for sure ;)

Michelle (Better with Berries) May 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I went so long in college doing no reading (other than class reading) thinking that I didn’t have time. Now, I always fit in at least a chapter of a book before bed. It always helps me fall asleep. I’ve never read The Magic but I love its message :-)

I’ve missed you, sis!! Love you :-)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I wish I would start reading more. I was doing well at the beginning of the year but have since let work take over (again).

Annette@ FitnessPerks May 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I LOOOOVVEE reading! It makes me SO happy to read :) Enjoy your books!

Christine @ Burning It Off May 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Reading is one of my favourite leisure activities. I used to plow through books when I only worked part-time but these days, I only have time to read right before bed (and usually get sleepy within 20 minutes) or on weekends but I really cherish that time. I’m a huge bibliophile… even just browsing through bookstores or libraries makes me happy. Enjoy your new books!! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I never have a lot of time to read during the school year, but I always speed through tons of books in the summers! I’ve read 3 amazing ones so far this summer. I highly recommend Under the Tuscan Sun if you ever get a chance – it portrays life in Italy so beautifully! :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yay for joining me on the Soul Detox!!! :) I’m so excited! I need to take a trip to the library. I need some good reads for the beach.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

That book sounds great! I can’t wait to hear what you think of it :). I LOVE to read! I read all the time and very fast haha, so I go through a lot of books…mostly fiction stuff though. I hope you’re having a great day pretty lady <3

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Oh, Meg, I wish you lived close by so that you could join my real-life Bible study! You’d love it! Everyone is so fun, and we always have the most interesting, thought-provoking conversations! But since that’s sadly not possible (unless you want to move to DC?!), I most definitely want to join you in reading either The Magic or Soul Detox! I love the idea of reading a chapter before bed each night and reflecting in the morning (or in my dreams). Which are you enjoying more? I would love to commit to both, but I have more grad school reading than I can handle right now, so I think one book is more attainable. :)

I’m so sorry I didn’t respond to your email today!! The afternoon and evening completely got away from me.I promise to write tomorrow! LOVE YOU!! xoxoxo

Jessica @ Busy Living Healthy May 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Meg! I’m doing the Soul Detox too! It came at a perfect time! I love the #shereadstruth hashtag! :) Good luck on your readings girl! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Just followed you on You Version – I love that app!! I really want to try Soul Detox when I finish my current study. :)

Victor November 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Im actually reading the book too :D and this is kind of hard i wish u could tell me some tips if u still reading it

my email is viko.nvk@gmail.com cya:D