Workout Wednesday: Training Update

by Meg on May 30, 2012

Good morning! :D

As I mentioned yesterday, today we’re going to chat about my current training schedule and where it’s going seeing as how it’s been quite a while since I’ve mentioned it ;)

Yesterday was my the last day of week 6 of my current training program.

I did a biceps and triceps workout that left my arms feeling completely fatigued afterward. It was amazing. After my workout I immediately refuelled with my current favourite protein shake which I like to call an Iced Mocha Protein Shake, grapes, and a grilled chicken breast sandwich once I got home.

Ice Mocha Protein Shake

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use About Time whey)

1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee (Nescafe is my favourite!)

10 drops NuNaturals Vanilla Liquid Stevia

water

ice

Blend. Refuel.

Like I said, I felt completely fatigued after today’s workout, in a good way of course! It was one of those workouts that left me feeling as though I couldn’t do one more rep of anything. I was done. In fact, I’ve been feeling “done” after each and every one of my workouts this week. I think I am finally back in my “groove” after taking some much needed time off.

The first week back from vacation was pretty rough. My mind wasn’t into it and I felt pretty weak throughout my workouts, but now I’ve got my mojo back. I actually squatted the most I ever have last Thursday! I guess it takes a bit of time to get back into the swing of things again :)

Today is my rest day (a much needed one at that! Major upper body DOMS!), but tomorrow I will be starting my final week of my first round of training with Tara. My training for the upcoming week will look like this:

Thursday – Legs

Friday – Chest & abs

Saturday – Rest

Sunday – Back

Monday – Shoulders

Tuesday – Bi’s & tri’s

Wednesday – Rest

After this coming week of training is completed I will be receiving a new training program from Tara. I am so excited! :D

Right now, Tara and I are talking about my goals and how we can modify my current program to achieve those goals. It’s really exciting and, even though I love my current program, I’m looking forward to changing things up a bit! Change is good and we always need to be changing to continue seeing progress!

So far, Tara and I have discussed doing two leg days per week instead of just one since my lower body is not as strong as my upper body. I will still be doing a 5 day split, but there will just be two leg days instead of one. I am really excited about this because one leg day will be a heavy leg day whereas the other will be more plyometric based! Tara hasn’t had me doing any plyometrics for the past six weeks, so I am definitely looking forward to adding them back into my training!

Another goal of mine is obviously to continue putting on weight and building muscle. Unfortunately, I didn’t take my measurements when I began training with Tara six weeks ago, so I don’t know how much or if my muscles grew, but I did take progress pictures so we are using those as a reference right now; however, I will be taking my measurements this week, so we can have a better understanding of my progress as time goes on.

Muscle growth or not, I did get stronger which makes me incredibly happy. I have been keeping a workout log for the past six weeks and it’s so exciting and motivating to see that I have increased my weights in so many different exercises! :)

I still have a lot of work and hard training to do in order to reach my weight and strength goals, but patience is a virtue as my Mom always says ;)

May 29, 2012

It’s so easy to become antsy and impatient when it comes to training. We all want to reach our goals now, but I constantly remind myself how long it has taken my idols to get to where they are now. So, live in the present and be happy, grateful, and accepting of where you are now. Sure, I am working towards goals which will bring change, but I can be happy with where I am now at the same time, too.

If you have found yourself becoming restless in any aspect of your life, sit back and try to be present. Be present within the moment and appreciate everything that you have now. Change will come, it just takes time <3

What are some of your current training goals?

Do you ever become impatient with your training and seeing results?

Did you enjoy learning more about my training? Would you like to know more?

Have a great Wednesday! :D

Love love love,

xoxo

Linz @ Itz Linz May 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM

ah one thing we are totally opposite on! my lower body is SO much stronger than my upper body!! i definitely become impatient with training but i just have to remind myself that change doens’t happen overnight… also i usually notice myself feeling a lot stronger and being able to do more in the gym… those results are easier to recongize than physical change :) keep up the great work, girly!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

you have a strong lower body because you are an amazing runner girl :D

Sable@SquatLikeALady May 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Helloooooo shoulders!! I think you can even see striations!

So glad to hear your new training regimen is going so well!! <3 Keep up the hard work!! =) <3

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thanks Sable :) Means so much coming from you xo

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Yeah baby! Look at those sexy arms. Your muscles look define and great I don’t know what your talking about : )

Keep at it!

xo

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Ha, oh Jocelyn :) You make me smile

Khushboo Thadani May 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

You are looking fabulous, Meg- strong and healthy! I love these workout posts for you so yes, I would love to read more! I just signed up for personal training sessions which involves 4 days of weights and 2 days of cardio. This is the least amount of cardio I have ever done (and most amount of weights) in a week but I am confident in this plan. Seeing the results you and Tara have had only reinforces my confidence in the plan & my trainer!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback Khushboo :) I will definitely do more fitness posts for you! I am confident in you too girl! Enjoy your training sessions!!! I am excited for you

ali May 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

wow your shoulders look AMAZING! Tara’s program certainly looks like its doing you a lot of favours! :)

As for my training – i’m currently doing crossfit – so I’m constantly trying to add weight to my lifts and better my time at WODs. Running wise – I have a 12.7km fun run on sunday – trying to beat a PB of around 1hour 5mins!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Wow! Crossfit!? I haven’t tried that yet girl! You’ll definitely hit that PB! <3

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy May 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Mmmmm I do love me some mocha.

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures May 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Great progress picture! Your delts look amazing!

I couldn’t agree more that you have to continuously change up your routine in order to keep seeing results. I have been lifting weights (on a 5 day split as well) for a little over a year now, and I try to change up my routine as often as possible.

Keep up the good work!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Thank you Stephanie!!!! Xo

Emily@RunningPerspective May 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

girl your shoulders look AMAZINGGGGG
hard work is totally paying off!!!!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Ha you’re too sweet girlfriend! Thank you

Alex @ therunwithin May 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I wish I had a training program that could help me with my goals, especially one that is personalized. it really makes you feel more trusting in the program and more confident. I am glad you have found this great groove!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Thanks Alex :)

Katie May 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

It is awesome to be excited about a fitness plan right?!!

I have been loving the boot camp I am doing, it is nice to switch things up!

Your arms look amazing girl! Be proud, as I know you are! <3

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Thanks love :) I can notice in all of your posts how much you are loving fit mixer! It makes me so so happy hun

Michelle (Better with Berries) May 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Look at those muscles, sis! You go girl :-)

Right now my training goals are to keep getting stronger and more comfortable with weight training. I also have a goal to decrease my body fat by a little. I’m loving strength training because it’s making it much easier to become leaner without having to do a ton of cardio!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Well strength training is definitely how you can accomplish that goal sis :)

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I definitely want to get stronger, I need to incorporate a similar plan into my workout routine

Gillian May 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

You look amazing! You are RIPPED! Holy smokes! And I love putting coffee in my shakes too – so good!! If you add Mexican vanilla it’s even better!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Haha oh Gillian, you made me smile :) Thank you. I have never had Mexicam vanilla!?!?

Yellow Haired Girl May 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Mmmmmm that mocha shake sounds awesome! I’m glad the training regime is working for you, you can see how well! Right now, my focus is upper body – I’m a bridesmaid in a wedding this summer and would like some killer arms in that dress ;)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You will look smokin in the dress girl!

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat May 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow Meg your arms and shoulders look Amazing!!! You must be feeling so great, it looks like your program from Tara is going so well! I’m excited to keep seeing your progress as you go into the next phase of your program :) I absolutely love keeping a workout log, because sometimes its easy to forget how far you’ve come until you go back and look at the old numbers! Great job!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I am feeling great babe :D Thanks hun!

tam May 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

hey meg,
looking good in your photo hun, hope the training is going well. nice to see your current plans – gives me motivation!
i definitely need to change my workouts a bit, starting to get a bit bored with mine and as i also need to build muscle and gain weight i think a change is a good idea!. hope you are well. tam x x

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thanks Tam :)

Heather @ For the Love of Kale May 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Oh my gahhh. You look phenomenal, Meg!!! So strong. :-) I totally agree with you – the process of change is hard but that process is the most important part. It is there that we learn and grow! Looks like you’re doing both. :-) You’re amazing!!!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

YOU are the amazing one :D

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

You look incredible!

I need to dedicate a day to back alone. Right not I am combining back and bis… but I don’t feel like my back is developing as much as I’d like.

Please do share more about your training! I’m in the same boat trying to gain/build muscle. I love seeing how others are accomplishing it. And I want to have your shoulders. :)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Thanks Laura :) I much prefer working back alone. I used to do it with bi’s too, but have found that I get a better workout when training back alone :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Looking good Meg! :D Tara’s program really seems to be paying off for you!

My current goal is to work on my running endurance. I did 10 km this morning, which is the longest I’ve done in ages. I can’t wait to see the distance creep up higher!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Your distance will definitely keep improving babe!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You have some amazing muscles there Meg!! Wowza! Love the sound of your protein shake too – mocha-flavoured anything is always welcome in my house!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Keeping a workout log and really tracking progress is so important, both for making actual progress and for motivation. It’s hard not to get impatient, especially when I have such lofty goals :) but this past week I really hit some sort of stride and my strength gains have been stellar. You’re looking strong and beautiful Meg! We know you’re in good hands with Tara :)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’m so proud of you and all of your increases in strength!! :D You’re working so hard!

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl May 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I agree with Linz, my lower body is so much stronger than my upper body. That’s why I love leg days ;)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Your arms are sick girl!!!! I can relate to wanting to reach my goals NOW, but it takes sooo much time. I’m excited for you! :)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Thanks babe :)

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

You look so strong and beautiful!! Awesome job with lifting so much :D. I think you’ll enjoy having another leg day that focuses more on plyos! Right now my current training goals are just to listen to my body and stay toned! Hope you’re having a wonderful Wednesday pretty lady <3

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Yay <3 I'm so excited to start the next phase with you. I know you will love doing legs twice a week! We have to get your legs looking as good as those shoulders!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat May 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Your arms/shoulders look awesome chica! My legs are my strongest since I grew up playing soccer. I try to lift bis and tris as heavy as possible- growth will come eventually!

Lisa May 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM

You are looking so great Meg! And your positivity just carries out through your posts! I’m glad you are feeling stronger than ever, maybe your body needed that time off to make the gains in the weight room! What more motivation do you need that rest works wonders :) Your plan sounds awesome right now, and its great you’re almost done the first phase and looking forward to the next one! I love plyos too, in my email I asked about your training plan, but you definitely answered that here! Have a great day my love!

Kate @ Work in Progress May 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

girl your shoulders are CRAYYYYZY! you look fantastic! I know what you mean about getting a bit impatient with training sometimes, I’m definitely guilty of that. All year I’ve been really dedicated to doing all of my strength training for my legs in order to run stronger and with better form, and it seemed so slow and like it would never work – but then today I went for a run and felt stronger and more stable and had better form than EVER. I guess it really did work haha! I’m excited to see the changes you and Tara make and to keep following your training!

Meg May 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Dang girl, look at those guns! I am impatient aaallll the time about getting to my goals, but I try to remember to take it one day at a time and to celebrate the little accomplishments too!

Annette@ FitnessPerks May 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Great arms/shoulders pic! You look awesome girl! Hard work pays off, eh?! ;)

Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com May 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Don’t stress about adding muscle. Hypertrophy of muscle actually lags behind strength increase, so if you feel stronger, you are making progress!

Brandi May 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Oh I can remember when I come home from my first overseas mission trip! I think I waited like three days before I did my first workout, which was only 20 minutes. I thought that I was going to be sick! I waited a few more days. ;)
I love the end of your post! Be present in the moment. :)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thanks Brandi!!!! :D

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You’re looking amazing girly! :) Keep up the hard work!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

You look awesome girl! I need to build some muscle. I need a trainer!! I love hearing about your plan. Keep sharing!

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thanks babe :) Glad to hear you like knowing more about my training! I’ll definitely keep sharing more with you

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

wow girl, your arms and shoulders look amaaaaazing! whatever you’re doing, it’s def working because you look awesome ;)

Meg June 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM