Memories

by Meg on June 10, 2012

Ever since I wrote the post titled Cherishing the Moments, I have definitely cherished every single second I had with my sweet bundle of joy.

She surprised us a few times over the past week with a sudden burst of energy that had her bouncing around the house like she always did, but yesterday was the day that I never wanted to come.

Cuddles jumping for a treat

Over the past couple of days, Cuddles became incredibly weak and began to show signs that it was her time to go to a better place.

June 9, 2012

This is so hard for me to write, but I know that Cuddles is in a better place now.

Wrapped up in a freshly washed blanket - her favourite!

She took her last breaths while lying in my arms. I know she wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. She went peacefully knowing she is loved more than any other dog in the world which gave me so much comfort.

She was my sister and best friend and always will be even though she is not physically with me anymore.

I will still think of her each and every day from now on. I know not a day will go by without saying a prayer for her and smiling over a favourite memory that I have of her.

I was able to spend a lot of time snuggling her yesterday before she left us. I am so blessed and grateful for that.

Showing my gratefulness has really helped me through this very hard time.

We celebrated Cuddles’ life at the most appropriate restaurant, Memories. We made a toast to Cuddles before our meals and talked about her the entire evening; sharing all of the wonderful memories we have been blessed with over the passed 16 years of Cuddles’ life.

We miss our girl so much already.

I love you Cuddles and always will. Forever and ever.

Xoxo

Brittany June 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Meg, my heart goes out to you and your family. Stay strong. May Cuddles rest in peace in animal heaven, where she belongs. <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Khushboo June 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Aww Meg, this was such a heart-warming post to read. You have handled this so well and all I have is awe and admiration for you- your strength is amazing as is your positivity! Cuddles gave you and your family so many memories and I love how you are celebrating them. Thinking of you, girl!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Kate @ Work in Progress June 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

awwww Meg!!! it’s so hard when our pets pass on. They really are “man’s best friend”. putting down my first dog was awful, but they’re in a better place, and were loved so much and lived happy lives. Sending hugs!!! <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Got the hugs! Thanks Kate xo

Jessica June 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Cuddles must have had the most contented and peaceful end. And you were clearly a wonderful, loving and caring owner. No puppy could have asked for more.

*hugs*

tam June 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

meg, i am so sorry to hear such sad news about Cuddles. it was nice to read that she had a peaceful last few moments in your arms, i am sure you will cherish each memory you have. she will be forever grateful for all the love you gave her!
hope you are doing well much love, tam x x x

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about Cuddles. I know how hard it is to lose a pet that is such a cherished member of the family. It seems rather unfair that pets live for such a short time compared to their human families. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Lauren (@poweredbypb) June 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Aw I’m really sorry Meg, losing a pet is always so hard.

Alex @ therunwithin June 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM

oh Meg I am so sorry but am so glad the way you got to spend your time with her. I think her last few days were probably the most memorable with you being so close to her. I can’t imagine losing my dog so I will be sending all my thoughts your way. Cuddles had one wonderful owner for sure.

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat June 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

oh no! i’m so sorry for your loss, meg :( stay strong love! <3

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance June 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM

So sorry to hear about your loss, Meg :( Just know that Cuddles is up in doggy heaven thinking of you and your family. <3

Kat June 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Babygirl I am sooo sorry :( I can’t even put it into words. I’m glad you were able to be with her and let her go peacefully. Hang in there love <3

Linz @ Itz Linz June 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

:( :( the pictures are beautiful and you’ll always have those and the memories with cuddles. i feel for you and your loss, but know you will overcome this difficult time. you’re such a strong woman, and i know that doesn’t make it any easier. love you bunches. xoxo

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Oh honey I am so sorry! Losing a pet is such a hard thing to go through. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers! Love u!!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I love you too babe <3 thank you

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Oh Meg, I’m so sorry to hear about Cuddles! I’m a new reader of your blog but she is so adorable and I can tell how much you love her just from this post. It’s made me a bit teary eyed. It sounds like Cuddles had a wonderful life filled with a lot of love. RIP Cuddles.

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the support Sam <3 you are so sweet xo

dee kline June 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I am so sorry, Your blog brought tears to my eyes as I recalled the passing of my sweet doggie several years ago. God bless!

dee kline June 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I am so sorry. Your blog brought tears to my eyes. God bless!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Christine @ Burning It Off June 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Awww, I’m so sorry to hear that — losing a pet is like losing a member of the family. It’s nice though that you were able to be with her during her final moments. I remember when my cat died when I was 13. He died in my arms and even though it was heartbreaking, the fact that he spent his last minutes knowing he was loved brought me a lot of comfort. Stay strong!!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I am so happy we can relate <3 it really was comforting being there for her last breaths. Thank you Christine xo

Alexandra June 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m so sorry to hear this Meg :( it can be so hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet. I just know Cuddles is in heaven chasing cats and eating her fill of massive dog bones while remembering her amazing life with you!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I’m so so sorry, Meg; my heart breaks for you and your parents. Cuddles was truly an amazing dog and friend, and she was so lucky to have lived a joyful life with your family! This is a beautiful tribute–the photos capture the LOVE between you two. Cuddles may no longer be here physically, but her spirit lives forever. And so do all the precious memories. I love you, sis. Hang in there; I’m praying for you. If you need anything, let me know. <3 xoxo

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I love you too Sara, thank you xo

Michelle (Better with Berries) June 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Oh Meg, I am feeling for my sis right now. I know this is a hard time for you, and I am so glad that Cuddles got to spend her life with such an awesome girl :-)
I didn’t write about it on my blog, but my childhood dog (Penny) passed away at the age of 16 just a few weeks ago. I think Penny and Cuddles are probably playing together in doggie heaven right now :-)

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for sharing that about Penny with me, sis <3 That means a lot. I hope you are doing well. If you ever need to chat, I am here hunnie <3

And I know Cuddles and Penny are friends already xo

Cristin June 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I am so so so sorry, Meg. I cried reading your post as I know how much you love Cuddles. I am the same way with my dogs. Cuddles will always be in your heart. <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Lisa June 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Aw sweetie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss! Just remember she’s in a better place now, and not in any more pain. Thinking of you lots <3

Kattreena June 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, girl! I know how hard this is. I lost my dog to cancer almost 4 months ago. He was my best friend and one of the loves of my life. You will cherish those memories and think of the happy and silly times. I know this is cliche, but it does get easier. I still think of my Sammy every day and shed some tears for him, but there is laughter, too. You dog clearly knew how much you loved her, and that’s amazing! Keep smiling, girl! Your dog is smiling down on you! :)

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thank you so much!!! <3

Nancy June 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I know exactly the pain you must be feeling now Meg. I had to do the same with our family pup not that long ago. It was so so hard. I’m glad you had the opportunity to hold her in your arms with her last breath. I’m not sure I could do that. I’m tearing up reading about cuddles, thinking about Peepers (my dog that passed).

Thinking of you soo much today Meg. Your best friend will always be in your heart ok? Xo

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I didn’t think I would be able to do it either, Nancy, but something happened when the opportunity came and I knew Cuddles would want me to be the one holding her <3

Thank you for all of your love and support <3

Nancy June 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I’m glad you did it. She was safe in your arms that way, and not scared. xo

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Aww you know how sorry I am :( This was a beautiful tribute. What a lucky life she lived xo

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m so sorry :( It’s always sad when our pets die but she was lucky to live such a long, loved life.

pluvk June 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh, Meg, I’m so sorry. Losing a pet is always hard… they become like our best friends, our closest companions. Take heart in knowing that she must have appreciated all the love and attention that you and your family gave her. Not all doggies are so lucky. God bless!!

Juliet June 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Oh Meg! I am so sorry about Cuddles! Losing a pet is like loosing a family member. There will never be a replacement in your heart but you know what? You and your family gave Cuddles the best life she could have been given. She got to eat and sleep and play and be loved – no dog ever wants anything more than that in life. It’s beautiful what you guys have done for her and you will have fond memories of her for the rest of your life <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Oh Juliet, you are so so kind <3 I love you girl!

Jane June 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

ahhh I am sooooo sorry! Cuddles was very lucky to have you, and I’m sure she knew it! xoxox

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’m so sorry, Meg. I know exactly how that feels because my other dog got put to sleep in my arms. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I do not regret going into the room with her. You did the right thing though. Love you <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I knew you could relate, that is why I tweeted you “thinking of you” the other day. I just needed someone to lean on <3 thank you Brittany. I love you too.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Oh Meg!! I’m so sorry!! I know this is a very tough time for you and your family! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I am feeling all of your prayers and love, Brittany. Thank you. I love you too!

Kristi June 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Meg, I wish I could give you a ginormous hug right now and make you feel better because I know exactly how you must feel, having gone through it myself. It’s the hardest thing ever but you are so right when you say that she is in a better place now….she’s playing around and waiting for you in Heaven. :)Love you!!!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I feel a virtual hug from you Kristi! I love you so much xoxoxoxo

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Awww Meg I’m so sorry! I can’t even imagine how hard this must be for you. But it sounds like Cuddles lived an amazing life with you and your family and was truly loved. She was lucky to have you guys. I’m thinking of you girl! <3

Miranda @ Miranda's Munchies June 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Oh darling I’m so sorry to hear about your little dog :( I’ll say a prayer tonight for all of you xoxoxo

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I am definitely receiving all of your prayers <3 thank you love. I miss you so much xo

Heather@For the Love of Kale June 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Wow, Meg. I’m so so sorry. You were obviously the most amazing owner. I know that Cuddles passed in the best way she could…in the arms of love…your love. I’m always here for you, babe. ALWAYS.

Meg June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

So sorry about cuddles! I’m glad you got to spend her last minutes with her. I am sure you miss her a lot!

Felicia June 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

ohh honey i am so sorry. i know how hard it is to loose a family member like that. stay strong! love you!!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Thank you Felicia, you are so sweet. I love you too <3 thank you thank you

Katy June 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM

So sorry to hear about Cuddles, girl! I can relate to this post so much – we had to put our family lab (Sammi) down last Monday. It was really sudden as she got sick very quick, but she was clearly in a lot of discomfort. It is unbelievable how pets can really become family members. I keep telling myself that Sam (& I’m sure Cuddles too!) had a really great pup life, lived to 84 in people years, and ate LOTS of treats, chicken, cheese, & socks:). AND all dogs go to heaven:). Sending you love & thanks for writing this post. It helped me feel more grateful than sad. xoxo

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Thank you Katy <3 your comment means so much to me! Sending you hugs! Sorry for your loss sweetie

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats June 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Such a beautiful post. Cuddles was so lucky to be part of such an amazing family! :) Love you!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Thank you, bestie <3 I love you so much

Julie June 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I am so so sorry for your loss. I am crying reading your beautiful words about your dog. I know I will be dealing with this soon as well. My heart goes out to you.

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

If you need anything, I am always here for you Julie xoxo

Julie June 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Thank You so much! You too.

Jinx June 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

:(. I’m so sorry to hear this. I am so glad that you got to be with her though.

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl June 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Oh Meg. I’m so sorry :( You’ll be in my prayers <3

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thank you, Haley <3 that means so much to me

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Oh Meg. I am so sorry. It’s amazing how pets can be a part of the family, and how they “get” us. My thoughts and prayers are with you through this difficult time.

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thank you Madison <3 that means so much to me. They really to get us don’t they?

Yaara Leve June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Dear Meg,
I’ve been following your blog for a little while and thought I’d finally comment. First, I am so sorry for your loss. That was such a sweet and tender post you wrote about your precious Cuddles! I’m sure she felt deeply loved by you throughout her life and was lucky to have you in her life. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your honesty in your struggles and triumphs on your journey to getting as strong and as healthy as possible. I look forward to reading more. My heart goes out to you and Cuddles

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Thank you so much for commenting Yaara <3 I loved hearing from you. Thank you for your love and support

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body June 11, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about Cuddles Meg. I remember when my first family dog passed away, he had been 17 years old, and a big part of the family. Although I wasn’t as close to him as it seems like you were with cuddles, so you must be very upset. It’s always a sad time, and I will be thinking of you as you go through this! xoxo

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Krista June 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Meg,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I admire how graciously you are handling it. I will keep your family in my thoughts. XOXO

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Thank you Krista xoxo you are so sweet to me

Kimberly @ RedefiningKim June 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Meg, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. However, your post was a true testament to the beauty of Cuddles life!

Meg June 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Thank you Kimberly. It really was a celebration of her life <3

Tracy Yuan June 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Meg, I feel really sorry. You post touches me and brings me tears. I’m so proud of your positivity and gratefulness which make me start to value what I’m having right now.

Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Awe that is so sad, we lost out family border collie this week too after 12 years, it was a veery hard day. Cuddles looks like she was a total cutie. At least she had a long life with a loving family.

Meg June 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog, Jaren <3 I am sending my love, prayers, and hugs your way! If you need anything I am always here for you!

Life's a Bowl June 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I am so sorry about your puppy. Just keep remembering how she is in a better place and is watching down on you. I lost my first puppy a year ago when we found out she had a brain tumor, one day she was running around and within days she passed… I will never forget her.

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri June 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I’m so sorry for your loss and can’t imagine what you are going through! My thoughts are with you and there is comfort in knowing that Cuddles is laughing and playing and running in a better place now. HUGS!!

Abby @ Change of Pace June 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about Cuddles, Meg. This brought tears to me eyes, too. It sounds like Cuddles had a wonderful, loving life. Take care of yourself!

Meg June 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Thank you Abby! Your comment means so much to me!

Heather (Where's the Beach) June 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Oh girl I am soooo sorry for your loss. I’ve had to go through that loss twice now and there are just no words. Hugs

Meg June 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Thank you Heather xoxo I love hugs!