WIAW: I Found Love & A New Recipe!

WIAW: I Found Love & A New Recipe!

WIAW: I Found Love & A New Recipe!

I have a new love in my life…

Cashew butter!

Thanks to my lovely girl, Lisa, I was introduced to this decadent nut butter. It’s Lisa’s favourite nut butter, so she sent me a jar of it as part of my birthday present! <3

I had never tried cashew butter before, so I was excited to give it a whirl! I really had no idea what to expect. Was it going to be sweet like almond butter? Thick like peanut butter? I had no idea!

I also had no idea how I wanted to enjoy my first sample of cashew butter either, so I asked around…

I knew Lisa loved adding cashew butter on top of her overnight oat bran

Kristi uses cashew butter as a dip for her veggies…

And another good friend of mine said that her favourite way to enjoy cashew butter was on a slice of Ezekiel toast!

Of course, all ideas sounded incredible to me, but, like always, I needed to be different, so I created a recipe of my own :)

Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing

Makes one serving

1 TBSP cashew butter

1 garlic clove minced

1/4 lemon, juiced

1/4 cup water

I combined all of the ingredients in a small bowl and heated into the microwave until the water began to bubble. Once the water begins to bubble, remove from microwave and stir with a spoon until a smooth dressing forms.

The dressing will appear thin, but let it sit to cool and then it will thicken.

I poured this dressing on top of a bed of fresh romaine, Ezekiel “croutons” that I made from toast, and shrimp.

I was surprised at how much this tasted like Caesar dressing! I am not a fan of many Caesar dressings, but I will definitely be making this again! It was very refreshing!

Even though I loved the taste of the cashew butter in the salad dressing I was still very curious to see how it tasted on its own, so I went back for a second spoonful ;)

Verdict?

I love cashew butter!

I think my almond and hazelnut butter jars are getting pretty jealous. It has only been two days since opening my new jar of cashew butter and it already has a pretty good dent in it ;)

I’ll be honest, I really cannot get enough of this stuff.

Since my Caesar salad dressing creation, I have also tried cashew butter on Ezekiel toast as part of my breakfast.

I loved it so much! This new breakfast combination will definitely be added into my breakfast rotation now!

Since WIAW is all about snacking, I am planning to add cashew butter into my snacks too!

What is your favourite way to enjoy cashew butter?

What is your favourite nut?

Have you ever made a salad dressing using nuts/nut butter?

Tomorrow’s post is all about tea! I am so excited! <3

xoxo

Reminder: If you are going to leave me a comment, please keep it respectful. If I receive any disrespectful comments I will not be publishing them. There is only room for positivity on my blog.

Thank you.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

59 Comments

Khushboo Thadani

June 27, 2012

Oh wow cashew butter does sound amazing! I’ve never tried it but am adding it to my list! Almonds are definitely my favorite nut, preferably roasted! As for favorite nut butter, I feel like I should be loyal to peanut butter but almond butter and hazelnut butter are both equally as delicious! Love using nut butter as a stir fry sauce or mixing with grilled chicken!

And that’s lame that people have actually been leaving you negative comments. If they don’t enjoy your blog, they should just stop reading rather than be directly hurtful.

We are so alike :) I AM IN LOVE with almond and hazelnut

My favorite nuts are probably pistachios and macadamia (is that even how you spell it???) nuts. But for nut butters, I still love the classic peanut butter the best. I tried almond butter and didn’t completely love it. I think I need to try cashew butter next! ;)

Linz @ Itz Linz

June 27, 2012

YES! I love cashew butter in oats or on top of pancakes… It is so decadent and rich!! It’s such a treat!!

Alex @ therunwithin

June 27, 2012

Hm I have never tried cashew butter. I am not a fan of nut butter but I am always up to trying new ones to see if my taste buds can take it.

mmmm. I’ve never tried cashew butter but I love all nut butters that I’ve tried. my current favorite is sunflower seed butter! Sooo good, have you tried it?!

also it blows my mind that people even try to leave rude or disrespectful comments on your blog. not cool!

June 28, 2012

Sunflower butter is ONE that I have not tried yet! That should be my next one :)

I have never tried cashew butter before, but roasted cashews are one of my favorite nuts. I can only imagine how decadent cashew butter must taste!

Heidi

June 27, 2012

Cashews are actually my fav nut but believe it or not I’ve never had the butter! I have to get on that since you made it look SO amazing!!!

Lindsey

June 27, 2012

I have never tried it but I am sure I would love it since cashews are my favorite nut.
    I have never used nut butters for salad dressing but as a sauce with curry, chili or coconut milk – which is super yummy!

This is one of the few nut butters that we HAVEN’T tried! But wanted to for so long!! Definitely gonna try it out!:)

I would have NEVER thought to make a dressing out of cashew butter! You are a genius!

Kat

June 27, 2012

BABE!! that dressing sounds stinkin OUT OF THIS WORLD!! why oh why do I not have any cashew butter?!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

June 27, 2012

Love cashew butter! It’s not my #1 love, but it’s pretty darn good ;D I’ve never made a dressing with nut butter before, great idea!

Caitlin

June 27, 2012

I’ve never tried cashew butter before but would love to. I love cashews! That caesar dressing sounds similar to one Heather had when she and I went out to eat at a vegan place in CT. I feel like she’s gonna be eyeing that recipe :)

Alexandra

June 27, 2012

HOLLAAAAAAAAA cashew butter is the bomb!!! Especially that brand, it’s so creamy and delicious! :) Love slathering it on apples mmmm
    Hope your Wednesday is filled with delicious cashew-goodness! :D

I’m cashew butter obsessed – this post reminded me that I haven’t seen my jar since we moved! Definitely looking for it tonight! :)

Kimberly @ RedefiningKim

June 27, 2012

I have never tried cashew butter. However, after seeing your uses, I am on the hunt for my own jar.

I’ve been so curious about cashew butter! I don’t usually take risks with trying new nut butters because I don’t want to be stuck with a whole jar if I don’t like it! I will definitely have to add this to my next Whole Foods haul! Happy Wednesday :)

I have never had cashew butter but cashews are my favorite so I need to get some.

Definitely need to get on the cashew butter trend. Time to go shopping haha I definitely just want you to cook for me and make me that shrimp salad. Loooove me some good shrimp!

So I’m like gonna have a countdown till I get to meet you lol SOOO EXCITED haha also for high five friday – do I need to email you about mine?

Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog

June 27, 2012

I love almonds! LOVE THEM! Hence I’m hooked on Justin’s almond butter which I love to slather on apples!

PS. That salad looks super tasty! :)

I LOVE cashew butter. I don’t know if you have found this but in recipes that are designed to replicate cookie dough flavours (they’re all over the blog world!) they often call for a nut butter and for me, cashew butter tastes WAY the most like cookie dough. PB and AB just taste like a nutty cookie dough, whereas cashew butter is mild flavoured enough and just gives it that doughy taste.

Try one of the healthy cookie dough dip recipes using cashew butter – it’s amazing! Or make a cookie dough smoothie or oatmeal using it. Yum!

June 28, 2012

I agree Anna! This nut butter would definitely give the best cookie dough flavour! :) YUM <3

Yellow Haired Girl

June 27, 2012

I LOVE cashew butter! It’s the best on top of hot oatmeal, and then I stir it in and get it all smooooooth and creamy :)

I’ve never tried Cashew Butter either, but totally want to. Looks fab!

Meghan Rene

June 27, 2012

You stop this!! Food dirty talk! Where can you pick this stuff up???

June 28, 2012

Haha :) I see cashew butter with all of the other organic/natural nut butters :)

What a cool idea to use cashew butter in salad dressing! I typically add tahini to my dressing. Will have to try this!

I love to use cashew butter in my chia puddings or overnight oats. Or by the spoonful. Whatever. :)

Cashew butter is my FAVORITE nut butter together with almond! It’s seriously so good and also so versatile – either sweet or savory,both is a win.

Annette@ FitnessPerks

Yes I LOVE cashew butter too!! Great idea to use it in a dressing. YUMM! xoxo

Liz

June 27, 2012

I’ve tried a lot of different nut butters, but never cashew. I’m going to have to get some, because I love cashews!

That cashew butter looks delish!! I’m excited for your tea post!

Nicola

June 27, 2012

Yum cashew butter looks amazing. Cashews are one of my favourite nuts. I’ve tried almond butter and that was delicious. I also still love good old peanut butter on toast!

Lisa

June 27, 2012

Oh no for mean comments! I hate getting those not so nice one’s. Yay!!! So pumped you love cashew butter! I had a feeling you’d like it :) It is definitely the best nut butter out there. And I will definitely be trying your caesar dressing, because that sounds pretty dang good!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes

June 27, 2012

Artisana makes a Walnut Butter that is walnut blended with cashew and it is to die for.

June 28, 2012

Sara! I HAVE THAT ONE :D It’s fab!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri

June 27, 2012

I don’t think I have ever tried cashew butter before but I really want too! My favorite all time nut is pecans. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!! <— excited just talking about them! lol :)

Yum! I love cashew butter! My favorite though is still Justin’s maple almond butter :) I love cashew butter on apple slices with raisins or dipped with carrot sticks! I also love celery sticks and cashew butter…I could keep going on and on :)

That caesar dressing sounds amazing! I make a similar dressing with tahini and I love it. :D

This post is making me a bit jealous that I can’t have cashews hehe.

WHO has been leaving mean comments?!!!!! Not happy to hear that!

Anyhoo – cashew butter = yum! I’m very boring and generally only eat nut butters on toast. I got a stick master (I think that’s the name of it!) in the weekend and I’m going to try making some nut butters myself :-)

My favourite nuts are cashews. They are just amazing. I’ve also started eating macadamias which are probably now number 2 on my list :-)

June 28, 2012

Oh how exciting! Good luck making your own nut butters! Keep me updated! :)

If you like macadamias you should try macadamia nut oil! I love it :)

Lauren (@poweredbypb)

June 27, 2012

I love cashew butter! I like it with fruit, or in oatmeal. Almonds are probably my favourite nut! I’ve never made salad dressing from nut butter, but it sounds like a great idea!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats

June 27, 2012

Yum! :) I have only tried cashew butter on toast last summer with banana. I would rather just eat raw cashews though. They are one of my favorite nuts to snack on.

Sable@SquatLikeALady

June 27, 2012

What does cashew butter taste like??? I LOVE cashews, they are my favorite nut hands-down!

Sorry to hear about the mean comments =/ Keep your chin up girlie!

June 28, 2012

Hmmm I’m having a hard time explaining the taste of cashew butter because I thought it would be so much different than it was! If they are your favourite nut you must try its butter :) I found it slightly sweet if that makes any sense!? Hehe :) Very flavourful!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat

June 27, 2012

Meg- that last part made me sad…..I don’t see how anyone could leave a negative comment on YOUR blog- you are always so upbeat and I love reading it daily! :)

I’ve never had cashew butter- are the nutritional facts about the same as almond buttr?

June 28, 2012

Thanks Carrie <3 xoxo I love reading your blog too :) You always make me so happy!

As for the cashew butter, you should try it! The nutritional facts are very similar, but since cashews are slightly higher in CHO’s that is what changes slightly.

June 28, 2012

Cashews are also slightly higher in sat. fat than almonds, but not by a lot :)

Kate @ Work in Progress

June 27, 2012

I love trying out different nut butters! I never would’ve thought to use nut butter in a salad dressing either, but that’s incredible how similar you say it was to caeaser! Unfortunately I wasn’t a fan of cashew butter when I tried it, I think almond butter still has my heart – but it sounds like you found a huuuuge variety of ways to test it out! :-)

I love how simple this dressing is! I also think the only thing better than cashew butter…is cashew macadamia butter ;)

June 28, 2012

Oh my goodness! I’ve seen that in stores! Well, since you say it is better I will have to give it a go! :) Have you tried plain macadamia nut butter before?

Wow, sis!! You’ve outdone yourself with this AMAZING salad dressing recipe! I think I *might* now have to buy cashew butter *before* I buy hazelnut butter just so I can make it. ;) Which do you suggest first, love? I trust your judgement 100%. :-D

My favorite nut is still the peanut (even though it’s technically a legume…phsh!). I just lovelovelove peanut butter…There is no way I’ll ever get tired of it! I’ve used it to make peanut sauces for stir fry’s and peanut salad dressing. I’ve also used it in African peanut soup (so good!). My second favorite is probably macadamia nuts, mainly because they remind me of being in Hawaii. ;)

Love you, sis!! Email coming your way tomorrow or Friday! Oh, and thank you SO much for your amazing comment today! It made me tear up! I love you!!! xoxo <3

June 28, 2012

Since I know which nuts you prefer (you love your macadamia nuts!) I truthfully think you would like cashew butter over hazelnut :) It has more of a buttery/cookie doughiness to it if that makes sense :) I think if you were to buy one I would tell you to buy cashew :)

The density is also more like peanut butter, so I think that is another reason you would like it best :) Hazelnut butter is quite runny.

I love you Sara <3

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig

June 28, 2012

I love your creativity! I would have never thought to make a dressing out of nut butter!

Cashew butter is my favorite nut butter too! I love it with banana and avocado in an eZekial tortilla:)

Kailey

June 28, 2012

Cashew Butter is my favorite nut butter of all time – I seriously can’t get enough :) I am just waiting for the health benefits to pour into the media so it becomes more commercial haha