Get Me to the Grill

by Meg on July 25, 2012

If you know anything about me at all, you know it love to grill.

I grill all year round. I have so many memories of my Dad and I firing up the grill in the middle of winter with snow falling down on us just to grill a salmon for dinner.

To me, everything just tastes better when it’s grilled!

Last night was no exception.

Do you ever have those meals that you throw together within seconds with no hopes in it actually turning out well, but they turn amazing? Well, that is exactly what happened to me last night! It was a meal that made me sit back, shake my head, and say “gee, I’m good.” ;)

You’re all in luck today because I will be sharing this delicious meal with you for WIAW! Such perfect timing! :)

Like I said, this meal was thrown together in minutes. It was kind of hodge podge too, but it all came together somehow!

I saw my overgrown kale plant outside and began to think that I should really start using kale more regularly, so I snipped off some kale leaves and planned to use it for dinner.

I also had some remnants of an eggplant leftover in my fridge begging to be used up, so I chose to use them in my dinner as well.

Since, everything tastes so much better grilled, I fired up the grilled and began to grill both the kale and the eggplant.

For the eggplant, I used walnut oil, garlic juice, and greek basil from my garden. This was my first time ever bbqing eggplant. I wanted it to get really crispy on the outsides, but it wasn’t happening so I finished it off by putting it in a frying pan on the stove – that gave me the crispiness I was looking for ;)

It was also my first time grilling kale.

I’ve had kale chips before and they were great, but grilled kale is so much better. Trust me. You need to shut that oven off and fire up your grill next time you have kale.

All I did was rub the kale leaves down with olive oil, grill them until crisp, and season with garlic powder. They were delicious.

Everything came together so beautifully.

I served my grilled kale and sautéed eggplant with grilled basa. I seasoned by basa with the following:

paprika
chilli powder
garlic powder
dried cilantro leaves

I basically crossed my fingers hoping that this spice combination would turn out well and taste good, but I was wrong – it tasted phenomenal ;)
_______________________________

Fitness

I’m taking today as a rest day because my body needs it. I have DOMS in my triceps like you wouldn’t believe, so I don’t think my scheduled shoulder workout would go as well as I want it to if I tried to push through a workout today. It was far more important to listen to your body!
I am one workout away from completing week 1 of my third program and am loving it so far! Tara sure knows her stuff ;)

She also knows how to kill my legs.

Yesterday was my plyometric leg workout and it consisted of a lot of bodyweight exercises as well as supersetting deadlifts, walking lunges, and kettlebell swings with plyometric moves. Let’s just say I was a ball of sweat by the end of this workout and a post workout protein shake never tasted so good.

Although I do love the ginger peach smoothie shown above, I’ve come up with a new one for you to try out! It’s so yummy!

Blackberry Cardamom Chocolate Protein Shake

1 cup blackberries
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (vanilla tastes good, too)
cardamom
3 drops lemon stevia
ice

Blend all together and slurp away!

Have a great Wednesday, friends!

Have you ever grilled kale before?

Have you tried garlic juice before? My Dad orders it online for me. I go through this stuff like crazy ;) You can use it in so many different ways!

How do you season your fish? I’m always coming up with new spice blends, but the one I shared with you in this post is definitely a winner!

xoxo

Kat @ a dash of fairydust July 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I’ve never heard of grilled kale before,but it sounds interesting though! Garlic juice sounds most amazing to me,I ADORE garlic and add it to almost everything I eat… It’s awesome on buttered bread with honey,by the way! ;) So delicious!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

whatttt!? really!? a combo I would have never thought of!? but then again….. marinades with garlic and honey are amazing!

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running July 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Totally love grilling as well! Healthy way to cook… and so easy! I love the sound of your protein shake.

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

thanks Kelly :) let me know if you try it :)

jessie July 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Seriously girl, all of your meals always look so delicious!

I’ve never heard of garlic jucie actually. What does it actually taste like.. just garlic?

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

just! it’s just garlic hun :)

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I am in love with grilling too!!! I would never think to put kale on the grill but that looks fabulous! I will definitely have to try out your entire meal! Looks great!

Alex @ therunwithin July 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

man I miss my grill! I would grill year round if I could. although it may not be the same I think I will be getting a smaller one for my apartment. food just tastes better grilled!

Krista July 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I am going to try grilling my kale next time! What a good idea!!

Kat July 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Look at you miss grilling queen!! I love grilling too :) And garlic juice sounds fab. I tend to just cook mine a long time in the oven and then squeeze it out of the coverings. It turns into a paste that I spread on everything!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I love roasting garlic and using it as a paste too! YUM!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale July 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

YES! GRILLED KALE! :-)

Looks amazing, Meg!!!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Thanks! CLEARLY you would love this sis

Kimberly @ RedefiningKim July 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That meal looks totally delish, Meg! My hubby is the grill master in our house, so I will be passing along your meal idea to him.

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Let me know what you think hun!!

Lils July 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM

You NEED to cook for me bestie!! <3 Your meals are always so amazing !!

I have never grilled kale before, that is a must try ASAP !

I usually season my fish with a bit of lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder and voilà! :) but I will have to try your seasoning!

Oh and quick question hun, do you make your post workout protein shake before you go workout ? That might be a dumb question but I want to start doing that and I'm not sure how I should proceed!! Haha

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

hehehehehe yes, love! I WILL cook for you :)

and yes, I make my PWO shake before and I have it immediately after :)

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM

That dinner looks so good! I love it when I just throw something together and it turns out fabulous – no better feeling than that sometimes! I’ve got to try kale on the grill now :)

Michelle@PeachyPalate July 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I must give the grilled kale a go! Good woman listening to your body. Hope your triceps feel better soon!

Cat July 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Your grilled Kale looks delicious! I think I am going to have to try that tonight! Thanks for the inspiration
~Cat

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I really want to grill something! We’re having amazing weather at the moment and all our neighbours have their barbecues out – it’s making me jealous :(

I’m glad you listened to your body and took a well-deserved rest day!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

That dinner looks awesome! I love grilling veggies, but I can’t say I’ve ever grilled kale before. Definitely going to need to try that out!

I like to keep it pretty simple for my fish – usually salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and some kind of fresh herb is all it needs!

Jessica, the_toned_teach July 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Grilled Kale?! I’ve never thought of that before, but it sounds wonderful! I’m with you… anything on the grill is AMAZING! I love kabobs. love them.

And yes, Tara does know her stuff! She gave me 2 amazing 6 week programs; I can’t go on the a third at the moment due to schedule madness, but enjoy yours!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I can honestly say I’ve thought of grilling kale before – sounds interesting for sure!

I’m a huge fan of cilantro or dill on fish, or any other sort of seafood. I’ve never had it turn out badly (knock on wood!) for me.

Way to listen to your body too – It’s hard sometimes!

Anne @ LoveMintChocolateChip July 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

grilled kale chips?! how yummy!!

Julie and Brit @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com July 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Blackened with lots of spice is definitely our favourite way for fish! :) Yumyyy! So… grilling party when we get back in London? ;)

Jane July 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Grilled kale does sound good! I will have to try it! Hope your arms feel better .. Garlic juice is a new one for me, but I bet I would love it!

Lisa July 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’ve never tried grilling kale, what a bright idea!
Looks so delicious! I love grilling, but don’t do it that often.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You grilled kale?!!? I love this idea! I wish I had a grill… and now I want to try basa!

Brilliant smoothie. I always do the blackberry-cardamom, but how did I not think to add chocolate?! Hmmmm… sounds like a tasty cottage cheese bake creation…

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

oh my gosh! let me know what you come up with love ;)

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy July 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I love me some kale. Thanks for another way to eat it! :D

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri July 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

WOW!! Grilling Kale…I never would have thought. Sounds delicious though. Thanks for the tips! :)

Min @ savortherainbow July 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I think those meals that are hodge podge of everything are the BEST! You never know how it’s going to taste, but somehow everything meshes together beautifully! Love kale and would love to grow them myself! Is it pretty high maintenance? I kill everything…

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

not high maintenance at all!!!! give it a go for sure!!!! :D

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit July 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You are the grill master! We are perfect together because you can do the grilling and I can do the baking. We would be SET, haha! Love ya girl!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

AND I LOVE YOU SWEETHEART

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way July 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You are just so darn cute Meg!! I love grilled kale!! It just takes it to a whole new level for me!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes July 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

What a cool smoothie recipe!! I think you can grill anything you can fit on the BBQ ;)

Natalie July 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I really need to learn how to grill, it’s one of those things that I’ve always been too scared to try but is probably not as hard as I’ve built it up to be in my head! Grilled kale is such a great idea!

Yellow Haired Girl July 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Grilled kale?! Fab idea girl!

Annette@ FitnessPerks July 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM

LOVE, love grilling. I also have serious DOMS in my triceps too! OUCH. It’s all about the supersets, baby!

Have a nice night, lady!

Ali Mc July 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I eat kale chips like they’re going out of style…..I am DEFINITELY going to try this – nice idea!!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body July 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

What a great idea to grill kale! I will totally have to try that :)

Sloane Pitman July 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

As ALWAYS your eats look so soo sooo yummy! I’m obsessed with grilling too! My fam and I do it all year round (but they’re a little less inclined than me to put things like sweet potato, eggplant, and greens). I’ll be trying grilled kale for sure!
love you!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I LOVE YOU TOO!!!! :D

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

YUMMY! I have never grilled Kale! Looks great! I love to season my fish with Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning! It is to die for!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I need to get my hands on that!!!!! :D

Christina @ The Athletarian July 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I would have never thought to grill kale! What a great idea! I’m definitely going to have to try that, girl! You are a genius :)

Emily July 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Okay…you know how obsessed I am with kale, but I’ve never had it grilled! That is brilliant. Having access to a grill is one of the things I miss most about living at home. My george foreman just isn’t the same (at least it’s pink and cute though!) Garlic oil sounds amazing! I definitely think I’m going to order some.

And I’m proud of you for listening to your body and taking a rest day! You deserved it. You always inspire me to focus on strength training and getting stronger because the progress you’ve made is unbelievable! Love you, pretty girl!

Meg July 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

HAHA totally know your obsession or kale ;) I wish I could grill it for you :( I LOVE YOU EMILY

Jessica @ Busy Living Healthy July 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I totally agree tha everything does taste better when it’s grilled! :) I’ve had kale chips before, but now I need to try them grilled. They look sooo good!!

Rande McDaniel @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen July 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Oooh I’ve never grilled kale but I HAVE grilled romaine! It makes for a delicious caesar salad :)

abznoats July 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I wish grills were allowed at my apartment complex! :( I have never grilled kale or made kale chips even. I have a bag of it in my fridge right now so I might have to try making some chips! :) I’ve never tried garlic juice either. lol. You just have all sorts of new things to share today!