Sweat It Out & Rest Up

by Meg on July 28, 2012

Saturday… isn't it lovely?

I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday so far! I know I am! I had a bit of a later start than usual as I slept in until 7:00 am(!!), but that didn't stop me from hitting up the gym at my usual time ;)

It was 8:00 am when I made it to the gym (after eating my breakfast, of course!) and I was ready to hammer out a leg workout!

Today is the start of my second week of my six week training program, so I thought it would be the perfect time to update you on my first week of training and give you a full recap on my beginning thoughts of my third program

The break down of a full week of training for me looks like this:

Saturday – Heavy legs

Sunday – Chest, triceps, and abs

Monday – Rest day #1

Tuesday – Back and biceps

Wednesday – Plyometric-based legs

Thursday – Shoulders and abs

Friday – Rest day #2

This schedule may change as I like to listen to my body and take rest days when I need them the most, but each week I do take 2 rest days.

Heavy leg workout
I did this workout for the second time today and I am in love. This is definitely the best leg workout Tara has written for me. The part I love most about this workout is the leg press. I perform leg presses as my second last exercise (the last being calf raises). The last set of leg presses that I do is a drop set and that really helps me finish my legs off! I love feeling the burn and pushing myself until failure on this exercise.

Last week, I set a new squat PR and this week I set three more PR's! Today, I was able to increase the weight of my leg curls, squats, and leg presses!

Chest, triceps, and ab workout
I loved this workout, too. It is also my favourite chest workout out of the three programs that Tara has written for me. Last week I was able to increase my weight for chest presses, something that I have been working towards for quite some time now, so that was very exciting!

Back and biceps workout
I liked this workout; however, I much prefer working my back with triceps and chest with biceps. This is how my last program was set up, so I have to admit that I do miss that aspect of it.

When you work your back, your biceps are able to get a good workout, as well. So, at the end of this workout when I began to perform bicep exercises they were already pretty fatigued.

Plyometric leg workout
This workout is much different from the plyometric leg workout from my last program. This one incorporates more bodyweight exercises at the beginning and 3 sets of supersets at the end. I didn't feel as challenged as I would have liked to feel while doing the bodyweight exercises, but the supersets sure got me at the end! My two exercises were supersetting walking lunges with wall sits. I was shaking. It was awesome. This leg workout had me feeling DOMS for the next three days.

Shoulders and ab workout
Now that I have busted through my shoulder training plateau, I love training my shoulders! My favourite exercise from this workout is the barbell clean and press! If you haven't tried these out yet you should definitely give them a try! I love them!

Rest days
The two rest days are welcomed with open and loving arms ;)

Yes, I used to fear rest days. They used to scare me and I avoided them. You could almost say it was impossible for me to take a rest day, but now I need that my body (and every body for that matter) aboslutely needs rest days.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you fear rest days challenge yourself. Take a rest day even though you are scared. The more rest days you take, the easier they become.

Life is about balance. You do not need to be at the gym or getting your sweat on all of the time! That's not balance!

Take a rest. Live. Enjoy your life :) The life you have outside of the gym or wherever you happen to workout.

I always come back to the gym after taking a rest day or two feeling strong than I've ever felt before! It's a great feeling, so use that as a piece of motivation to get through rest days if they are a struggle for you <3

What was your workout today?

Have you made a PR lately?

What are your plans for the day? I get to puppy-sit! :) I am so excited! <3 You know how much I love dogs and puppies, so today is going to be a great day!

I hope you enjoyed the recap of my first week of training of my third program!

Love,

xoxo

pluvk July 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

That’s awesome, Meg! Congrats on making those 3 PRs!! You are looking great… talk about inspirational. :-)

Danielle (@CleanFoodCreativeFitness) July 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Love rest days!!! They are so important and I’m so happy so many more people are realizing this! PR’s are always so exciting! I just recently set 1RM PR’s for my power clean and front squat! very happy about it :)

julie July 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

what a great post! love hearing about the program and you’re thoughts on it :) you look fantastic keep up the great work girl! xox

Meg July 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Awww thanks Julie! I love hearing about your program too <3 I love you babes

Jessica, the_toned_teach July 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM

OWW OWW! Look at all those plates stacked up on that barbell. Get it woman! I am so proud of you and your progress- it inspires me each and every day :)

Happy weekend!

Meg July 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Wow, thanks Jessica <3 :)

betterwithsprinklesblog July 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Oh goodness, those arms of yours! :-) and holy PR’s batman!

I went to the gym this morning, and since then I’ve been planting my bum on the couch watching various Olympic events and poking around on my computer. The boy and I were going to go to a party tonight, but it got cancelled. So this is probably what the rest of my day is going to look like – lazy couch time. :-)

Alex @ therunwithin July 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Nice workouts girl! I am glad you found this amazing balance with everything. Sleeping in makes me feel like a million bucks a lot of times.

Emily July 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You look unbelievable!! I love reading about your program- it sounds like the perfect fit for you.
I love that you’re embracing your rest days! I used to hate them (and raaarely every took one) but now my body needs them! And I feel the same way- I always have the best workouts after I’ve taken a rest day! Plus, I truly enjoy them and don’t feel forced to be there. (:

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts July 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Thanks for the recap :-) I miss going hard t the gym! At least I can still do legs :-)

abznoats July 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

My goodness girl! Your hard work is certainly paying off! :)

Meg July 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Wow, thanks Abby :)

Lisa July 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I’m excited for your new plan!
Looks like you are making significant improvements so far and are getting stronger!
I’m keeping up more with my rest and giving myself a month of lower intense workouts to push past some fatigue I’ve been feeling. So I’m definitely resting more these days:)

Health Freak College Girl July 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I did a squat PR the other day and it felt amazingggg! My workout today was on the track. Got some cardio in early in the morning so it started off the day right :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 29, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Great workouts! You are looking fab!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Congrats on all your PRs lately! It just goes to show how awesome this plan is working for you! :D

My workout today is probably going to be walking on an incline + my physio exercises. I can’t run again yet, and I’m getting soooo sick of the elliptical and indoor biking. Ugh! :P But I actually still feel like I get a great workout from walking, so that’s what I’ve been doing lately!

mirandamowbray July 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM

That workout top is so cute! Where’d you get it?

Meg July 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lululemon :)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Sis, I had no idea you had three PR’s this week?!?! CONGRATS!! I’m so so proud of you. <3 Celebrating is definitely in order. ;)

I've actually always trained my biceps/back or biceps/triceps on the same day; I've never done back/triceps, but this phase I *am* doing chest/triceps! Did ya catch that? Hehe…I think my favorite combination is biceps/triceps and separate days for back and chest (with ab work). So many possibilities!

And amen to rest days! Today I took a full day off (well, almost…I took a nice walk with my mom, brother and Dave after dinner), and it felt so good!

Meg July 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

HAHA! Thanks love :) It was a good feeling that’s for sure!

Ahhhh I love walks :) <3

Emily February 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Wow, Meg!

I just came across this post of yours and look how far you’ve come! Your muscles have grown SO much since this post.

This totally inspired me (even more than you already have) and boosted my hope for seeing muscle growth myself! :)

Meg February 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Wow thanks for commenting on this post Emily :) I didn’t even realize the change