hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Blog Challenges

If you haven't noticed already, I'm a pretty happy person.

You'll usually see me smiling

Sometimes I even smile during those situations when you shouldn't be smiling. You know what I mean; we've all been there.

Well, with the Healthy Living Summit getting closer and closer… my level of happiness has become over the top. I'm extra happy, I talk at an unusual fast pace, and my mind is constantly racing – in a good way of course. There are so many things about HLS that I am looking forward to; the agenda is absolutely packed with events that all seem to interest me. One discussion that I definitely want to attend is being conducted by Amanda Brooks, the blogger behind Run to the Finish, who will be speaking about hosting virtual chalenges

Here is a description from the HLS website describing Amanda's presentation:

"The Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge sounded like a fun little thing to host. What once seemed “little” quickly turned in to a lot of work, a ton of fun and a great way to engage with readers. Over the years, reoccurring challenges have great opportunities to grow – in this challenge’s fourth year, there were over 1,000 participants.  Amanda Brooks from Run to the Finish will discuss how her successful challenge got started, lessons learned along the way and guidelines for running your own successful challenge on your own blog."

Source

I love blog challenges and there are so many out there.

Heather hosts Meatless Monday A – Z which I am wanting to take part in. I was planning on creating an artichoke recipe over the weekend, but was unable to because I was at the lake camping with my family. However, I did go grocery shopping yesterday and bought an artichoke, so I have my thinking cap on and will hopefully be able to come up with something creative. A week late, but better than nothing!

I also bought a beet for this week's meatless Monday. So, be expecting a recipe once Monday rolls around 😉

Kelly also just started a virtual challenge called Healthy Living Thirsty Thursday

I only usually have smoothies after my workouts and they are usually the same old combo over and over again. I have favourites and I stick with them, so unfortunately I have missed out on Kelly's past two HLTT's. But, I wanted to show Kelly my support and submit a recipe this week for her weekly blog challenge, so I created a new post workout smoothie and oh my was it tasty 😉

The pictures obviously don't do it justice thanks to the beauty of the Magic Bullet mugs, but trust me on this one.

Melon Mojito Protein Shake

1 cup seedless watermelon cubes
1 large handful spinach leaves
10 mint leaves (I used the Mojito Mint leaves that I have in my herb garden)
10 drops lemon stevia
1 cup unsweetened original (or vanilla – I used original) almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
ice

Blend all together and enjoy!

I have always been hesitant to make a smoothie with watermelon. I didn't think it would blend well, but I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised! I hope you give this smoothie a try because it really was delicious and very refreshing! Perfect for summer!

Like I said before, I usually only have one smoothie a day. This is only because they don't fill me up, but today the smoothie you see above was actually my second smoothie of the day…

Katie's breakfast smoothie bowls always make me wish I got full from a smoothie. They look so delicious that they make me want to jump in my computer screen, dive into the bowl, slather myself in berry-goodness and call it a day.

Katie's Berry Banana Protein Smoothie in a Bowl

So this morning I thought "why can't I have a smoothie in a bowl and eggs on the side to keep me full?"

I really enjoyed changing up my breakfast this morning and having a smoothie instead of the same old bowl of oats that I have usually been having. Personally, I think my smoothie in a bowl turned out quite beautiful actually :)

Clearly, I drizzled peanut flour sauce on top because Laura got me addicted (thanks Laura, it's a good addiction to have!)

I have no recipe for my breakfast smoothie today. It's still a work in progress… I'm thinking I need to invest in some xantham gum or kanjac powder to make it thicker.

As you can see, I really enjoy taking part in blog challenges! I think their great! They allow me to challenge myself (obviously) and meet amazing bloggers along the way!

High Five Friday is my blog's weekly virtual challenge and I hope you all can show me your support today and email me a submission for a high five by tonight. All you need to do is email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com and tell me why you are proud of yourself this week. Anything can count as a high five. You don't have to run a marathon to be featured in tomorrow's post. Maybe you did yoga for the first time? That's definitely a high five worth giving yourself! Or maybe, like me, you made a change and got out of your usual breakfast routine and tried something different! That's a high five, too! Your high five doesn't even have to be food or fitness related! In the past, I have given myself a high five for driving on the highway for 2 hours by myself for the first time!

Like I said, your high five submission can be about anything, but it should be about something that you are proud about doing this week as this is a weekly blog challenge!

I look forward to seeing your email in my inbox 😉

Happy Thursday!

Love,
xoxo

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Comments

Yummm all of those smoothies look so good!! I have never used watermelon in a smoothie either but now you’ve got me wanting to try it… and I have some delicious mint growing in my garden too!! CANT WAIT to see you at HLS!!

August 10, 2012

Ahhhh you must try this smoothie then hunnie :) I was surprised how good watermelon was in a smoothie!

August 10, 2012

p.s. I am excited to see you too 😀

Kaila @healthyhelperblog!

August 9, 2012

My high five for this week was running a half marathon on my own! Hope its okay that I didn’t email this to ya!

August 10, 2012

Of course it’s ok <3

Meghan Rene

August 9, 2012

After seeing this post – I think I need to go make me a good smoothie!

betterwithsprinklesblog

August 9, 2012

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this to absolutely everyone attending the HLS, but sweet jesus I am jealous. :-)

I love smoothies, but I always need something on the side (or cereal on top) for chew/fullness factor. Liquid calories are not particularly filling for me!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

August 9, 2012

I would be totally interested in doing the meatless monday a-z it would be so fun! I wish I could have made it to HLS this year!

pluvk

August 9, 2012

Your food always looks so good! I may have to try a smoothie + eggs this coming week. It sounds like a winner!

Yay for you on the HLS! Definitely something to look forward to… sometimes I wanna start a blog just so I can attend these fun conferences. Can’t wait for your recap!!

Love all the smoothies!!! I can’t wait until HLS either!!! So excited!

Ali Mc

August 9, 2012

Ahhh I am just getting into smoothies….who knew reading blogs like yours would eventually have me converted to a cleaner eater 😉 I never would’ve believed you!!!

I love all these recipes and links. Thanks for sharing them. I just added Kale to my morning green smoothie and I surprisingly LOVED it. I am currently looking into growing my own wheatgrass b/c it’s so good for you :)

I am so excited for your summit!!!!! I love you meg! you’re great :)

August 10, 2012

Ali! I am so so happy for you :) Wow! I remember you saying you’ll never “eat clean” 😉 Hmmm

You’re awesome! I haven’t even done a kale smoothie yet!? Only spinach!

I love you too :)

Lisa

August 9, 2012

Your smoothies all look awesome! Except for the watermelon one, hehe, I dislike watermelon. I’m like the only person who does!
    Definitely get xanthan and guar gum, they help thicken so much!
    I definitely don’t stay full off of a smoothie either for some reason.
    SOOO excited for HLS!! Can’t wait for everything! xoxo

August 10, 2012

Love you girl! Cannot wait to see you :)

twosaucysisters

August 9, 2012

Meg you are SUCH a babe! :) and mmmmmmm those smoothies look deeeeelish!:D

Alex @ therunwithin

August 9, 2012

I am doing it for the first time, I love that you do this and I want to show my support.

I love how you make such an effort to participate in blog challenges – I always want to join in, but I have so much trouble finding the time! 😛

I’ll try to think of a high five to email you! :)

Linz

August 9, 2012

Your peanut flour sauce looks./sounds sooo good! I can’t wait for mine to come!!

THANKS for your support and awesome smoothie recipe :) You’re the bestest!! And pairing it with an egg omelet, genius!

Michelle

August 9, 2012

I love that you put all of these challenges together! Even though I don’t always participate in the challenges I see on blogs, they always motivate me!

GOtheXtraMile

August 9, 2012

I love your positivity. It lightens my day up <3 & I CAN'T WAIT FOR HLS!!!!

August 10, 2012

HAHA! I cannot wait to meet you :)

Emily

August 9, 2012

Your positivity seriously makes my day, love. I’m naturally a really happy person too, so I love surrounding myself with people like you!
    As you know, I’m absolutely addicted to smoothies right now. I’ve been having one every day and trying to come up with lots of new combinations. So far, I haven’t been disappointed! Today I made a mango-pineapple one that was sooo refreshing. I’ve never tried watermelon though- that will be next. (:
    I really want to start taking part in more blog challenges…the Meatless Monday one definitely caught my eye. And I’ll be counting down the days until you share your artichoke recipe! <3

August 10, 2012

If I lived in the same city as you we’d be together ALL of the time, sweetie :) ALL OF THE TIME.

Definitely try the watermelon in your smoothie! I was honestly so so so surprised how yummy it was!

Tianna

August 9, 2012

i loooove smoothies in a bowl! i really like adding avocado to them for extra sticking power!

Heather @ Better With Veggies

August 9, 2012

You really make me smile – thank you for sharing the challenge. And here I haven’t sent you a High Five Friday, although you covered mine with #MMAZ!! I’m thrilled with the way the first week went. You are such a kind and thoughtful person, have I told you that?! 😉

August 10, 2012

HA! You make me smile, too :) Love you

Tara

August 10, 2012

You must be so excited for the HLS! I”m jealous! And now I really want a smoothie after reading this post 😉

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli

August 11, 2012

You’ve GOT to get your hands on some xanthan gum! I swear the thickness it creates makes a smoothie more filling!

I knew you could juice it, but I’ve never thought about adding watermelon to a smoothie before. Could you taste it in the smoothie or was it just minty?

Peanut flour…BEST addiction EVER! Beside nutritional yeast, I’d say it’s the best thing I’ve discovered since becoming a healthy living blogger! I was out of it for a couple of months and it was HORRIBLE…withdraws for sure! Lol

August 11, 2012

I know right! I was so nervous to put the watermelon in the smoothie! I didn’t want it to turn out yucky you know!? You could taste it for sure, but what I was concerned about was the texture of the shake, but it was actually really good!

22. Pingback: WIAW: Your Food | A Dash Of Meg