Blog Design Bootcamp

by Meg on August 23, 2012

Good morning loves!

I'm so glad everyone seemed to appreciate yesterday's post on how to host a virtual challenge. I, for one, definitely appreciated all of the feedback I got from you! As I mentioned yesterday, I want High Five Friday to continue growing in popularity, so all of your suggestions and comments are very helpful! Thank you! :)

Today, I will be recapping the second presentation I attended, Blog Design Bootcamp, which was led by Julie from Savvy Eats

I was really excited for Julie's presentation as I would like to give A Dash of Meg a bit of a face lift!

To begin, Julie addressed the "must haves" for your blog:

- a search box

- contact information

- an about page with a photo of yourself

She then went on to talk about more specific topics such as colour themes. Julie recommended visiting colourlovers.com, design-seeds.com, or creaturecomfortsblog.com for colour ideas and inspiration.

For special fonts, Julie suggested to go on dafont.com or fontsquirrel.com. Each of these sites provides free fonts for you to download to use on your blog.

Julie also spoke about blog themes which made me particularly happy because I have always wondered about free themes (what I am currently using) vs. premium themes which cost money.
Julie said although premium themes do include a cost, they are much easier to customize. She also noted that premium themes offer support forums which are also very helpful if you have approach issues with your design.
Some of the sites that you can visit for themes are diythemes.com or woothemes.com

Some of the key points I remember from Julie's presentation are:

Keep it simple!

Only have the essentials!

So, that brings me to what's happening with A Dash of Meg?

I am currently in contact with a blog designer who with be helping me with that face lift I have been wanting for quite some time now! A Dash of Meg won't be undergoing huge changes, but I would like to make my blog look more clean, comforting, and welcoming!

One thing I can promise you is that my theme colour will definitely contain purple hues ;)

I hope you enjoyed this recap from HLS! I'm going to finish watching Kelly Live, get ready, and spend the rest of my morning volunteering!

xoxo

Does redesigning your blog intimidate you?

Have you ever undergone a blog redesign?

**Don't forget tomorrow is High Five Friday and I am still accepting submissions! Please send me your high five to adashofmeg@gmail.com and you will be featured in tomorrow's post!**

christina @ the athletarian August 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Great tips, Meg! Who are you using as a blog designer?? I am trying to find someone to do a header for me and was looking for some recommendations. There are so many people out there and I don’t even know where to start!

Meg August 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Dana from wonderforest :) she’s a doll! Contact her :) you can see her store here http://www.envye.com and her portfolio here http://www.thewonderforest.com/p/custom-design-services.html

love you hun

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

thanks for sharing lady, I attended the other seminar so I appreciate you sharing your notes!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Good recap, Meg! Sounds like a great presentation :)

Lori and Michelle (@purelytwins) August 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

we are always thinking of ways to make our blog better and look better, we love to redesign it. it is fun for us. we like to try different things and see how we like it. cant wait to see your new look

Meg August 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

thanks girls! xo

blondebostonian August 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Good luck on the blog redesign! Julie just did mine and I am in love with it – she definitely practices what she preaches!

Meg August 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Ah lucky girl ;) I wanted Julie to do mine, but she’s so busy!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My blog still needs work, but I’m so glad I finally had someone design my blog!! I could have never done it on my own!

Tara August 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I really like these posts! They are very helpful, and it’s interesting to see what you learnt at HLS. Doing my blog design myself was a nightmare! But it all worked out in the end. I still have a list of things I need to tweak, but I’ve been putting them off for months! Oops :S

Meg August 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

What do you still have to tweak sis!?!?

I’m so happy you are liking these posts :) <3 That means a lot to me.

robfiasco August 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM

love this! thanks for sharing the info!! :)

Danielle (@Clean Food Creative Fitness) August 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Great post Meg! I missed out on this session and was really interested in it! I’m going to have to add a couple things to my blog according to Julie!

Jordan August 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for sharing this info from the sessions!

Lisa August 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Ohh, I’m glad you posted on this one since I ended up missing it and really wanted to attend this presentation! Getting back to your e-mail today! Miss you love!xoxo

Lisa August 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh and also wanted to add I’m excited for your changes and I know it will look great with whatever you do, because it already looks fab! I love Live With Kelly!! Aren’t you too excited to find out who the new co-host will be??! Haha

Meg August 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

YES! SO EXCITED

sprint2thetable August 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I’m excited to see your changes!

I’m terrified to touch anything on my blog design for fear of crashing the whole thing.

Danielle @ WorkItWearItEatIt August 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM

So cool! I want to update my blog appearance soon too!

BroccoliHut August 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I’ve always been too scared to attempt a makeover on my own–I’ve always enlisted professional help. Thanks for the tips though–maybe one of these days I’ll try changing my theme…

Meg August 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I want to change my theme too haha!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes August 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Oooo fun! Can’t wait to see it! I still remember your old blog. And yes, purple forever. :)

realfoodkatiesway August 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Very good tips!! Right now I’m pretty content with my blog design…It’s simple, has the bells and whistles necessary and it’s pretty low maintenance…That being said, I BADLY need to clean it up and figure something out regarding my recipe pages!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Great summary! I really enjoyed her presentation too. I can’t wait to get in contact with a designer as soon as I come up with my new blog name!

I can’t wait to see the changes on your blog too. :D

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts August 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for this, it’s so helpful :-) I really want to update my blog layout, maybe even switch to Wordpress, but I’m so hopeless with computers. Can’t wait to see your new look blog!

Alek Prus August 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Did you get my high five stuff?

Linz August 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Redesigning my blog definitely intimidates me! Great tips though and thanks for the resources! :)