Edamame and Kale in Avocado Salad Cups

by Meg on August 27, 2012

**Confession: I got a wee bit ahead of myself and skipped week "D", so no date recipe for you! Hehe!**

Hello again! It's time to share my Meatless Monday A – Z recipe! :)

This week started Next week starts with the letter "e", so Heather had us create a meatless dish using edamame beans!

I love edamame beans, so I was right on board when I saw that this was the ingredient to be used! My favourite way to have edamame beans is in a salad, so that's exactly what I did!

I didn't make any ordinary salad, though! I made a delicious salad with kale and avocado and then served it in an avocado salad cup!

This was my first time ever serving a salad like this and I really enjoyed the presentation!

The salad was creamy from the avocado, but still had a nice bit of crunch from the edamame beans. The kale was massaged well enough that it wasn't too chewy, but it still had a nice texture when I served it.

Massaged Kale Salad with Avocado and Edamame

Makes 2 servings

1 avocado
1 cup kale, washed and ripped into small pieces
1/2 cup edamame beans, boiled and shelled
grated carrot

Beging by halving your avocado and removing the pit. In a bowl, combine your kale and avocado. Massge the kale with the avocado until the kale becomes soft. Add edamame beans. Toss salad.
Divide the salad into two portions and serve in the two halves of the avocado.
Grate carrot ontop of salad for colour and presentation.

This is an easy salad, but it was so good that I had it two days in a row :)

For an extra punch of protein (and a larger serving), I added more kale and topped my salad with tuna cakes

Continue having a marvelous day, friends! Love you all!

xo

How do you like to enjoy your edamame beans?

What is your meatless meal today?

**Don't forget to email me your high fives to adashofmeg@gmail.com for this week's HFF #high5fri**

Emily August 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Okay…edamame, kale, AND avocado?! Those are 3 of my all-time favorite foods! This looks so delicious, Meg. <3

Alexis@fitpossible August 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

That looks super yummy… Always looking for some new ideas for meat free meals.

Alex @ therunwithin August 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Your tuna cakes look amazing.

Danielle (@Clean Food Creative Fitness) August 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

This looks so adorable in the avocado cup! What a cute and delicious idea!!!

A Tablespoon of Liz August 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

So cute! I love the idea of using the avocado shell/skin as a bowl.

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits August 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Yum!! That looks awesome, I haven’t had kale in a long time but I think it’s about time!

Cut `n Clean Greens August 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Love this! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We’re going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, dandelion and other green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens

Meg August 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

wow thank you so much! I will definitely like your page!

Again, THANK YOU!

Chelsey @ Powerhouse Fit Foodie August 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Looks soooo yummy girl! This would be perfect dinner party food :)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish August 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This is such a cute idea! You’re so creative! I’ve used avocado halves (the flesh) to hold crab salad, but never thought to use the shell. :)

Happy Monday!! xoxo <3

Jessica, the_toned_teach August 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I absolutely love tuna cakes! I have a similar recipe that I posted on instagram… such a great go-to quick & easy protein source! And you know how we love our protein :)

Ashley Whelan (@freckleandspice) August 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Although you cheated – I will still give you props for this! Kale, avocado, edamame – sounds like a trifecta of green goddess!

Meg August 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

CHEATED!? Sweetie! HAHA! I was so ahead of myself! BIG WOOPS

cottercrunch August 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

remind me to come to your house next week for this dish. I’ll bring my quinoa date salad and we’ll make it a …. DATE! hehe

Meg August 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Oh Lindsay, my dear – PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE! PLEASE!

pluvk August 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I keep meaning to try massaged kale salad. It sounds and looks so good! I agree with the comment above… I’ll bring the sushi!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Ooh yum I love massaged kale salads! And the presentation of this one is so cute. :D

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) August 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

That loooks awesome! I am definitely making this this week!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

ooo this salad, you just can’t go wrong with avocado, kale and edemame

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

When I saw your recipe come through with Edameme I laughed – you are too cute. What this means is that I need an easy-to-read page for MMAZ with dates and ingredients. =)

abznoats August 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Oh my gosh! I love this idea! Avocado massaged kale has been one of my favorite things recently! :)