The Best For Last

by Meg on August 28, 2012

When you have a meal do you save the best for last?

For an example, if this plate was set in front of me…

I would know right off the bat that my favourite part of this meal would either be the shrimp, salmon, or avocado. So, I would proceed my trying a piece of each. A piece of shrimp, a pience of salmon, and a piece of avocado.

And then I would make my decision. What ever I loved the most at that particular moment would be my last bite.

Well, today's post is similar to that. I've done several recap post about the Healthy Living Summit, but I have one more – the best one.

My sushi experience.

My sis and I decided to plan a big sushi outing while in Boston. She chose the restaurant and I helped spread the word!

We ended up going to a sushi restaurant called Cafe Sushi which is located in Cambridge, MA. The moment I saw the menu I knew this was going to be the best sushi experience I've ever had. The menu offers types of fish that I had never ever heard of before, so I knew I was in for a treat!

I definitely treated myself that night and splurged on some pricey sashimi, but it was all so worth it!

I started with a salad (I always need my greens!) and then I ordered 10 different pieces of sashimi. Five pieces were from the Chef's Sampler and the other five were ordered a la carte.

My a la carte order:

Two pieces of makerel (saba), greek sea bass (branzino), european sea bream (orata), and ocean trout (umi masu).

The mackerel was the best mackerel I've ever had. It was so delicate. I loved the flavour.

The sea bream, sea bass, and ocean trout were all new types of sashimi to me. My favourite out of the three was definitely the ocean trout. It reminded me of salmon, but didn't have as much of a "fishy" taste. The sea bream was tender, but the sea bass was quite tough; it reminded me a lot of red snapper sashimi.

The five pieces of sashimi that I ordered for the Chef's Sampler were off their "in season" menu which was written on a chalk board behind the chefs at their prep counter.

I remember ordering this scallop (which was phenomenal – so tender!)

A piece of butterfish (excellent!)

And then I forget the other three pieces of sashimi that I chose :(

I knew I should have wrote it down… oops.

I had a great night enjoying one of my favourite cuisines, new types of fish, and special friends <3

We had a great turn out! This is only one of the two tables that came! :) I think Sara and I are pretty could planners ;)

My last bite of the night was fro yo from my girls' favourite place – Berry Line!

But, my last piece of sashimi was the mackerel! It wasn't a new to me fish, but it was the best of them all! The scallop came in a close second ;)

My last bite of mackerel!

Do you save the best for last?

Love you!!

xo

** Don't forget to email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com with your High Five Friday submission! Tell me why you are proud of yourself this week! **

Linz August 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM

This is hilarious because YES I ALWAYS save the best for the last!! My grandpa always tells the story about how he does that too but one time his darn older brother came and stole the last of ___ (i can’t remember what) so now he always eats the best first! haha

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

HAHA! HILARIOUS!

sdorsay (itrainthereforeieat) August 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I ALWAYS save the best food for my last bite!! When I have my yogurt bowl in the morning I always save one good bite of peanut butter, raisin, and a little bit of yogurt for the end. Too cute! Love that pic from the dinner too, it was so fun to go out with everyone!!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Oh my goodness! I do the same thing sweetie! I do the EXACT same thing with my yogurt bowls! :)

Alex @ therunwithin August 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Looks delicious, I am such a fan of sashimi.

peaceloveandoats August 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Haha I definitely save the best for last! In salads I tend to eat the lettuce mostly first and then the toppings at the end! haha

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

SHUT UP babe! I do the same thing! My lettuce is always the first to go HAHA

Danielle (@Clean Food Creative Fitness) August 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I always save the best for last! I am one of those strange people that doesn’t like to mix my food so I always save the favorite part of my plate for the end!

Caitlin August 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

This post is so cute. I love your explanation in the beginning about how you’d decide which part of your 3 faves in the salad you’d save for last. I am trying to figure out if I consciously save the best for last or not. I think I do because the other night at dinner I saved my pita for last, but I also did that because I knew I wanted to use it to mop up the juices of my salmon after I’d finished it. So maybe it’s practical, not my favorite, that I save for last?! Your sushi meal looks so very amazing. OMG, I had a great time at Chobani but I love your enthusiasm to try new and crazy fish. I would have done the same!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM

You and I would have had a blast, but I am so happy you went to Chobani <3 When I come to CT we will go for sashimi/sushi/seafood and go WILD :)

Love you

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I try to be an equal opportunity eater, getting the good stuff in every bite! That sushi was seriously some of the best sushi I have had! That salad looks amazing and something I would love to eat!

Candice August 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

mmm sushi! Sushi is the only thing that keep prevents me from being a full vegetarian (I am pescatarian). I could eat it every single day of teh week.

PS, I need you to send me your shipping info…you won my giveaway! Check out my blog post from Monday!

plateitnclimb August 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I love saving the best for last! I do it with everything (including how I eat a banana!) But I love how you decide what is best! I always run into the issue of wondering but never testing. easily cured! Do you ever have the issue of waiting for the best for last and then feeling too full for that best part? that is an issue I have had lately…

ps I just started reading your blog, I love that you are studying dietetics too ;)

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

No :) I don’t have that issue :) I make sure I always finish everything on my plate :) hehe!

I love that you are studying dietetics!!! HOW EXCITING <3 thanks for commenting lovie <3

Yellow Haired Girl August 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I ALWAYS leave the best for last! I can’t imagine not doing that :)

robfiasco @ run2thehills August 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

my only goal for my blog is to be able to reach out and help people make healthy decisions.

there are sooooo many people out there fueling their bodies with the worst foods out there because they simply don’t know where to begin or how to go about changing their habits. if I can help one person out, my blog is worth it.

Jordan August 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I totally will save the best for last! I often do a combination bite, though. So, for example, I might eat a bite of shrimp with some avocado speared onto it, or some salmon with the same.

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Clever ;)

Sweetly Fit August 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

You know I love all the seafood in this post, he he. I wish I could have eaten it all with you!! Next time for sure. :) And you are so right; saving the best for last is the way to go!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Well, hopefully Foodbuzz approves me and then you and I can have seafood together in San Fran :D AHHHH

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear August 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Sushi and froyo?! Sounds like my kind of night. I usually do save the best for last, as well ;)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I have never had real sushi!! Just the veggie rolls. I’m too chicken! lol

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits August 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Yum! Sushi is my absolute favorite and I’m newly obsessed with cucumber wrapped. Not everywhere does it, but it’s sooo tasty and no guilt whatsoever!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I tried cucumber wrapped sushi in Toronto :) It’s fab!

Tara August 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM

It depends on what I’m eating. I’ve developed a really bad habit of shovelling my food in without paying any attention. But if I go out to eat, I usually save the best for last. I do always think of something I read though – what happens if the world ends while you are eating, and you never got to eat that final delicious bite?!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

BAHA! You’re ridiculous ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Mmm that really was a delicious night! We must find some place like that in London… or the surrounding area. I’m definitely willing to travel for good sushi!

I save the best for last too. I always like my last bite of sushi to be salmon! ;)

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I agree babe! We should venture out to different sushi restaurants! I want to find one as good and unique as this one :)

sprint2thetable August 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I always save the best for last! I used to do it even with Halloween candy as a kid. :)

Wouldn’t is be so fun to have a sushi party one day? xoxo

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hehe we totally will have a sushi party one day :) You know we’ll meet some day, love. It just has to happen. It HAS to.

IHeartVegetables August 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I’ve never had “real” sushi, only veggie ones! I LOVE avocado rolls though!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Any roll with avocado is to die for :) have you ever tried avocado and mango rolls? SO GOOD

forgottenbeast August 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I love to save the best for last, too! If I get a salad that has avocado, you can BET I’m picking off that avocado and leaving it on the edge of my dish to be savored last :) Gorgeous sushi!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

HAHA! Oh girl, avocado was the last bite for me last night :) I had a lot of avocado in my salad, so I was in heaven at the end :)

AnnaTheApple August 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Most of the time I save the best till last unless it’s quite a large serving…then I make sure I eat the best bits soon in the meal in cases get too ful! All that sushi looks so fresh and yummy. I love mackerel :)

A Tablespoon of Liz August 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

That is exactly how I eat my food! Sometimes whoever I’m eating with will ask if I don’t like it, and I’m like, no, that part’s my favorite!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM

HAHA! That happens to me too! SO FUNNY!

betterwithsprinklesblog August 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Always!!

Generally, I’ll have a few bites of my favourite, eat the other stuff, then finish the favourite that I started with. Gotta end on a good note!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons August 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I wish I could have been there!!!!!!!!!! AHHH!!!!! P’s homecoming got in the way of my plans =/ but I’m glad you guys had a blast! <3 and we are totally sushi sisters from afar! love you girly!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I wish you were there too Jenn!!!!!! <3 Some day we will meet :)

Love you so much xo

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body August 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am totally the same way with saving the best for last! The meal would be so much less exciting if the best part was gone at the real beginning! This definitely looks like an incredible sushi experience :)

abznoats August 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I always save the best for last! :) Usually I always want a sweet bite to end the meal though!

Christina @ the athletarian August 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You are too cute :) I remember you doing this at Fresh too!! I sometimes do the same!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

HAHAHAHA! Now that you say that… I remember that too! Pretty sure the tempeh was last for that meal ;) mmm mmm MMMMMMM!!!!!!! We need to go back there :)

Emily August 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I do the same thing! I alwaaays save the best “bite” for last. I’ve always been that way- I remember being in elementary school and my friend telling me that I was weird because I ate my peas FIRST and saved my chips for last. haha. Too funny.
It looks like you ladies had an amazing experience together! I wish I had been there.

xoxox

pluvk August 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I am definitely a “save the best for last” type of girl. I try to get rid of all the least favorite things first, then I proceed to finish off the good stuff! ;-) Now as for that salad… avocado, shrimp, AND salmon? I wouldn’t know where to start (or finish)!

Meg August 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM

It was a darn good salad girl ;)

Cheryl Madliger August 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I often save the best for last — but sometimes I find it better to just go for it! What if I don’t eat the whole plate? Then I’m not hungry by the time I get to “the best”! It’s like saving your good china for some day off in the future…I kind of have realized that life is now!!! :)

christinaorso August 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I eat the same way! Save the best bite for last!! I feel like the meal lasts longer that way, haha! I have a feeling in that salad, my last bite would be of avocado…or a bit of avocado on a bite of shrimp. MMM

Run To Munch August 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

berry line is the best froyo hands down!

Ashley Whelan (@freckleandspice) August 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

We have very similar seafood tastes! Shrimp, salmon, and avocado have been on heavy rotation for me this summer/year. My bf and I keep going to this bar and getting a peel n’ eat shrimp app

I absolutely save the best for last. I also usually do the next to last bit with a the last little bit of everything and then the very last my fav component. Then I usually shed a tear for the great meal being over.