The Best For Last

The Best For Last

The Best For Last

August 28, 2012 | Dinner, Eat, Review, Social Life | 51 Comments

When you have a meal do you save the best for last?

For an example, if this plate was set in front of me…

I would know right off the bat that my favourite part of this meal would either be the shrimp, salmon, or avocado. So, I would proceed my trying a piece of each. A piece of shrimp, a pience of salmon, and a piece of avocado.

And then I would make my decision. What ever I loved the most at that particular moment would be my last bite.

Well, today's post is similar to that. I've done several recap post about the Healthy Living Summit, but I have one more – the best one.

My sushi experience.

My sis and I decided to plan a big sushi outing while in Boston. She chose the restaurant and I helped spread the word!

We ended up going to a sushi restaurant called Cafe Sushi which is located in Cambridge, MA. The moment I saw the menu I knew this was going to be the best sushi experience I've ever had. The menu offers types of fish that I had never ever heard of before, so I knew I was in for a treat!

I definitely treated myself that night and splurged on some pricey sashimi, but it was all so worth it!

I started with a salad (I always need my greens!) and then I ordered 10 different pieces of sashimi. Five pieces were from the Chef's Sampler and the other five were ordered a la carte.

My a la carte order:

Two pieces of makerel (saba), greek sea bass (branzino), european sea bream (orata), and ocean trout (umi masu).

The mackerel was the best mackerel I've ever had. It was so delicate. I loved the flavour.

The sea bream, sea bass, and ocean trout were all new types of sashimi to me. My favourite out of the three was definitely the ocean trout. It reminded me of salmon, but didn't have as much of a "fishy" taste. The sea bream was tender, but the sea bass was quite tough; it reminded me a lot of red snapper sashimi.

The five pieces of sashimi that I ordered for the Chef's Sampler were off their "in season" menu which was written on a chalk board behind the chefs at their prep counter.

I remember ordering this scallop (which was phenomenal – so tender!)

A piece of butterfish (excellent!)

And then I forget the other three pieces of sashimi that I chose :(

I knew I should have wrote it down… oops.

I had a great night enjoying one of my favourite cuisines, new types of fish, and special friends <3

We had a great turn out! This is only one of the two tables that came! :) I think Sara and I are pretty could planners ;)

My last bite of the night was fro yo from my girls' favourite place – Berry Line!

But, my last piece of sashimi was the mackerel! It wasn't a new to me fish, but it was the best of them all! The scallop came in a close second ;)

My last bite of mackerel!

Do you save the best for last?

Love you!!

xo

** Don't forget to email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com with your High Five Friday submission! Tell me why you are proud of yourself this week! **

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

51 Comments

Linz

August 28, 2012

This is hilarious because YES I ALWAYS save the best for the last!! My grandpa always tells the story about how he does that too but one time his darn older brother came and stole the last of ___ (i can’t remember what) so now he always eats the best first! haha

HAHA! HILARIOUS!

I ALWAYS save the best food for my last bite!! When I have my yogurt bowl in the morning I always save one good bite of peanut butter, raisin, and a little bit of yogurt for the end. Too cute! Love that pic from the dinner too, it was so fun to go out with everyone!!

August 29, 2012

Oh my goodness! I do the same thing sweetie! I do the EXACT same thing with my yogurt bowls! :)

Alex @ therunwithin

August 28, 2012

Looks delicious, I am such a fan of sashimi.

peaceloveandoats

August 28, 2012

Haha I definitely save the best for last! In salads I tend to eat the lettuce mostly first and then the toppings at the end! haha

SHUT UP babe! I do the same thing! My lettuce is always the first to go HAHA

I always save the best for last! I am one of those strange people that doesn’t like to mix my food so I always save the favorite part of my plate for the end!

Caitlin

August 28, 2012

This post is so cute. I love your explanation in the beginning about how you’d decide which part of your 3 faves in the salad you’d save for last. I am trying to figure out if I consciously save the best for last or not. I think I do because the other night at dinner I saved my pita for last, but I also did that because I knew I wanted to use it to mop up the juices of my salmon after I’d finished it. So maybe it’s practical, not my favorite, that I save for last?! Your sushi meal looks so very amazing. OMG, I had a great time at Chobani but I love your enthusiasm to try new and crazy fish. I would have done the same!

August 29, 2012

You and I would have had a blast, but I am so happy you went to Chobani <3 When I come to CT we will go for sashimi/sushi/seafood and go WILD :)

Love you

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

August 28, 2012

I try to be an equal opportunity eater, getting the good stuff in every bite! That sushi was seriously some of the best sushi I have had! That salad looks amazing and something I would love to eat!

Candice

August 28, 2012

mmm sushi! Sushi is the only thing that keep prevents me from being a full vegetarian (I am pescatarian). I could eat it every single day of teh week.

PS, I need you to send me your shipping info…you won my giveaway! Check out my blog post from Monday!

plateitnclimb

August 28, 2012

I love saving the best for last! I do it with everything (including how I eat a banana!) But I love how you decide what is best! I always run into the issue of wondering but never testing. easily cured! Do you ever have the issue of waiting for the best for last and then feeling too full for that best part? that is an issue I have had lately…

ps I just started reading your blog, I love that you are studying dietetics too ;)

August 29, 2012

No :) I don’t have that issue :) I make sure I always finish everything on my plate :) hehe!

I love that you are studying dietetics!!! HOW EXCITING <3 thanks for commenting lovie <3

Yellow Haired Girl

August 28, 2012

I ALWAYS leave the best for last! I can’t imagine not doing that :)

robfiasco @ run2thehills

August 28, 2012

my only goal for my blog is to be able to reach out and help people make healthy decisions.

there are sooooo many people out there fueling their bodies with the worst foods out there because they simply don’t know where to begin or how to go about changing their habits. if I can help one person out, my blog is worth it.

Jordan

August 28, 2012

I totally will save the best for last! I often do a combination bite, though. So, for example, I might eat a bite of shrimp with some avocado speared onto it, or some salmon with the same.

Sweetly Fit

August 28, 2012

You know I love all the seafood in this post, he he. I wish I could have eaten it all with you!! Next time for sure. :) And you are so right; saving the best for last is the way to go!

August 29, 2012

Well, hopefully Foodbuzz approves me and then you and I can have seafood together in San Fran :D AHHHH

Sushi and froyo?! Sounds like my kind of night. I usually do save the best for last, as well ;)

I have never had real sushi!! Just the veggie rolls. I’m too chicken! lol

Yum! Sushi is my absolute favorite and I’m newly obsessed with cucumber wrapped. Not everywhere does it, but it’s sooo tasty and no guilt whatsoever!

August 29, 2012

I tried cucumber wrapped sushi in Toronto :) It’s fab!

Tara

August 28, 2012

It depends on what I’m eating. I’ve developed a really bad habit of shovelling my food in without paying any attention. But if I go out to eat, I usually save the best for last. I do always think of something I read though – what happens if the world ends while you are eating, and you never got to eat that final delicious bite?!

August 29, 2012

BAHA! You’re ridiculous ;)

Mmm that really was a delicious night! We must find some place like that in London… or the surrounding area. I’m definitely willing to travel for good sushi!

I save the best for last too. I always like my last bite of sushi to be salmon! ;)

August 29, 2012

I agree babe! We should venture out to different sushi restaurants! I want to find one as good and unique as this one :)

sprint2thetable

August 28, 2012

I always save the best for last! I used to do it even with Halloween candy as a kid. :)

Wouldn’t is be so fun to have a sushi party one day? xoxo

August 29, 2012

Hehe we totally will have a sushi party one day :) You know we’ll meet some day, love. It just has to happen. It HAS to.

IHeartVegetables

August 28, 2012

I’ve never had “real” sushi, only veggie ones! I LOVE avocado rolls though!

August 29, 2012

Any roll with avocado is to die for :) have you ever tried avocado and mango rolls? SO GOOD

forgottenbeast

August 28, 2012

I love to save the best for last, too! If I get a salad that has avocado, you can BET I’m picking off that avocado and leaving it on the edge of my dish to be savored last :) Gorgeous sushi!

August 29, 2012

HAHA! Oh girl, avocado was the last bite for me last night :) I had a lot of avocado in my salad, so I was in heaven at the end :)

AnnaTheApple

August 28, 2012

Most of the time I save the best till last unless it’s quite a large serving…then I make sure I eat the best bits soon in the meal in cases get too ful! All that sushi looks so fresh and yummy. I love mackerel :)

A Tablespoon of Liz

August 28, 2012

That is exactly how I eat my food! Sometimes whoever I’m eating with will ask if I don’t like it, and I’m like, no, that part’s my favorite!

August 29, 2012

HAHA! That happens to me too! SO FUNNY!

betterwithsprinklesblog

Always!!

Generally, I’ll have a few bites of my favourite, eat the other stuff, then finish the favourite that I started with. Gotta end on a good note!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

August 28, 2012

I wish I could have been there!!!!!!!!!! AHHH!!!!! P’s homecoming got in the way of my plans =/ but I’m glad you guys had a blast! <3 and we are totally sushi sisters from afar! love you girly!

August 29, 2012

I wish you were there too Jenn!!!!!! <3 Some day we will meet :)

Love you so much xo

I am totally the same way with saving the best for last! The meal would be so much less exciting if the best part was gone at the real beginning! This definitely looks like an incredible sushi experience :)

abznoats

August 28, 2012

I always save the best for last! :) Usually I always want a sweet bite to end the meal though!

Christina @ the athletarian

August 28, 2012

You are too cute :) I remember you doing this at Fresh too!! I sometimes do the same!

August 29, 2012

HAHAHAHA! Now that you say that… I remember that too! Pretty sure the tempeh was last for that meal ;) mmm mmm MMMMMMM!!!!!!! We need to go back there :)

Emily

August 28, 2012

I do the same thing! I alwaaays save the best “bite” for last. I’ve always been that way- I remember being in elementary school and my friend telling me that I was weird because I ate my peas FIRST and saved my chips for last. haha. Too funny.
    It looks like you ladies had an amazing experience together! I wish I had been there.

xoxox

pluvk

August 29, 2012

I am definitely a “save the best for last” type of girl. I try to get rid of all the least favorite things first, then I proceed to finish off the good stuff! ;-) Now as for that salad… avocado, shrimp, AND salmon? I wouldn’t know where to start (or finish)!

August 29, 2012

It was a darn good salad girl ;)

Cheryl Madliger

August 29, 2012

I often save the best for last — but sometimes I find it better to just go for it! What if I don’t eat the whole plate? Then I’m not hungry by the time I get to “the best”! It’s like saving your good china for some day off in the future…I kind of have realized that life is now!!! :)

christinaorso

August 29, 2012

I eat the same way! Save the best bite for last!! I feel like the meal lasts longer that way, haha! I have a feeling in that salad, my last bite would be of avocado…or a bit of avocado on a bite of shrimp. MMM

Run To Munch

August 29, 2012

berry line is the best froyo hands down!

We have very similar seafood tastes! Shrimp, salmon, and avocado have been on heavy rotation for me this summer/year. My bf and I keep going to this bar and getting a peel n’ eat shrimp app

I absolutely save the best for last. I also usually do the next to last bit with a the last little bit of everything and then the very last my fav component. Then I usually shed a tear for the great meal being over.