My Workout Comfort Zone

by Meg on September 4, 2012

The topic of comfort zones has spilled over onto today’s post. I hope you don’t mind ;)

While travelling from Saskatchewan to Ontario, I haven’t had the chance to hit up a gym – my personal workout comfort zone.

I recently realized that when it comes to working out, the gym is where I am most comfortable. A gym with free weights is even better, but a gym with free weights and a few machines would be most ideal. This way, I would be able to do my six week training program from my personal trainer, something else that makes me feel comfortable.

Oh, the comfort of being in a routine.

For the past 18ish weeks, I have been performing workouts created for me by my personal trainer, Tara. I’ve been loving each and every one of these workouts and look forward to them five days a week.

As I’ve already mentioned, I haven’t been able to hit up the gym recently, though. Which I am totally cool with. Rest is absolutely necessary and I am completely comfortable with rest.

After taking Saturday and Sunday completely off though, I had an itch to do something come Monday morning. Fortunately, for the first time all weekend, the hotel my parents and I stayed at on Sunday night had a gym. I was happy to hear such news, so I made my way down to the hotel’s gym to scope things out.

One treadmill, one elliptical, and one very complicated looking home gym-type piece of equipment. That’s all there was. No free weights and no machines that I use during my typical workouts. I don’t like ellipticals, I really rather not run on a treadmill, and I didn’t want to use the one piece of equipment that they did have.

Let’s just say I was being stubborn.

At this point in my life I am so comfortable with rest that I was just going to shrug my shoulders and not do anything; despite having the urge to get my body moving a little before another long day of driving.

So, that’s what I did. I went back to the hotel room, sat down at the desk, and started reading blogs. Luckily, Chelsey had a new post waiting for me to read. She posted a new HIIT leg workout video that she filmed herself doing. It was a body weight workout that you could do pretty much anywhere – it was like it was made for me at that exact moment.

I was amazed by Chelsey’s strength and energy that she released in the video. I was so inspired. I really wanted try this workout out for myself, but there was something holding me back.

My workout comfort zone.

This HIIT video Chelsey posted was completely out of my comfort zone. It wasn’t anything like the workouts that I’m used to doing, so I questioned whether or not I should do it.

Like I said, I really wanted to do at least a little something before we hit the road, but since I couldn’t do my regular routine I felt as though I should just do nothing at all.

That’s when I thought of yesterday’s post and how I talked about stepping out of my comfort zone when I went zip lining. I was so proud of myself when I did work up the courage to step out of my comfort zone and go zip lining – I definitely didn’t regret it and I knew I wouldn’t regret stepping out of my comfort zone to do a new workout, either.

So, I did it! :)

Despite being worried about finding Chelsey’s workout too tough and fearing that I would have to call it quits half way through, I strutted my stuff down to the hotel gym once again (MacBook in hand this time) and did the workout along with Chelsey! :)

It was so much fun! Chelsey sure knows how to get your heart rate up that’s for sure! It was exactly what I needed to start my day! :)

The workout was a 6 minute HIIT workout that consisted of 45 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest for six rounds. I am a big fan of short yet intense workouts like these, but haven’t done them in such a long time because I have been stuck in my comfort zone.

Of course I do push myself throughout each of my lifting routines; I try to pick up the heavier weight or to push out a few more reps than I did the previous week, but I still feel so comfortable.

I think I need a change. I’m itching for a change. I’ll be meeting up with Chelsey soon to discuss a plan of action, but for now I think I’ll keep stepping out of my comfort zone. It seems to be working.

Do you have your own workout comfort zone? If so, what is it?

It there a type of exercise or workout that intimidates you because it is out of your comfort zone?

Do you do online workout videos? If so, which are your favourites!? Maybe I'll need to try it!

I hope you all have a great day! I will be so happy to get back to London today! It's my home and I feel so good there. So good.

Love you!

xoxo

* Don't forget about High Five Friday! Send me your high fives to adashofmeg@gmail.com so I can celebrate your success and feature you in this week's post! *

Linz September 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM

GO YOU!! I’m not really a huge online workout video or any type of video type of person… I’ve tried to do yoga but I just can’t get into them. Glad you found something you like though!! :) :)

Meg September 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Thanks Linz :)

Danielle (@Clean Food Creative Fitness) September 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Love this Meg! I definitely have a comfort zone with workouts! If I’m uncomfortable for me it doesn’t mean I won’t do it but most likely my entire attitude will change while I complete it! I would like to change that and approach every workout with an open mind and confidence that I can complete it!

Meg September 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I hope to get into that place and mindset, too! :)

Alex @ therunwithin September 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM

congrats, moving out of my comfort zone is so hard so I give you loads of credit. I think rest is something I am finally able to embrace, aka this weekend with my dad I didn’t worry about workouts and that felt AMAZING.

Meg September 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM

And it just gets easier with time, babe! SO PROUD OF YOU! You should send THAT in for HFF ;)

Wendy September 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM

This is great for traveling! I would so love to try this HIIT video! Many times I travel to hotels that have the worst gyms. Way to make it happen Meg and break the comfort zone again!!!

Meg September 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Eeeeek! THANK YOU WENDY! I love hearing from you :) THANK YOU

sdorsay (itrainthereforeieat) September 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Good for you babe for stepping out of your comfort zone…Again!! :) I’m so glad you decided to do that workout, sometimes a little switch up is a great idea when it comes to workouts. I’m Excited to see where your training takes you and what kind of changes you’re going to make! Also, I love Chelseys blog, I’m definitely going to check that out more. Have a great day!! :)

peaceloveandoats September 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I like doing other prescribed workouts that people make because it pushes me out of my comfort zone! My comfort zone is definitely weight machines and the treadmill though!

Tara September 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I love Chelsey! She is the bomb :) Rob’s at a hotel at the moment and I’ve been helping him make up bodyweight workouts! He’s not a fan but he’s surviving haha

plateitnclimb September 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I am a super gym rat. I like my normal routine of exercise but sometimes I do get in a rut and I try something new. BEST workouts ever come from this normally! I am kind of a cardio rat as well. weights intimidate me (or the buff college weight room guys do)

LivingMintGreen September 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I’m terrified of all the machines in the gym… they’re so big & scary looking! I have used them before, but it just feels so unnatural, then I end up doing bodyweight strength training instead. I love blogilates, jillian michaels & the TIU girls for online vids & dvds. :D Have a good week! xo

Juliane September 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Great post. I feel like so many times we get stuck in my way or the highway approach. Kinda black and white. Aces for you for getting out of that! I like to think that flexibility is a pretty cool trait to have :D

Caitlin September 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Good job getting out of that zone! I bet that HIIT workout was just what you needed to get moving before a long drive. I too have my gym comfort zone – you know me. I love my go-to spots where I use my dumbbells and kettlebells. I love my fitness classes. And oh, my Stair Master! I too was in a hotel gym yesterday and was feeling out of place and out of my routine with no Stair Master…just treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes. So I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, some pilates moves on a mat, and called it a day. I told myself that I can have a more fun for me, intense, maybe longer (if I want) workout the next day (which is now today) when I’m back at my home gym! Trying not to stress the small stuff and be flexible. I’m proud of you for doing just that!

Fit N Trim TwiNeiren September 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

yah Girl for stepping out of your usual!! :) I am doing the same thing VERY soon! I have been doing my workout dvds for turbofire for 3 years. I’m FINALLY going to brave P90X!! eeekk!!! :)

abznoats September 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yes! :) So glad you are pursuing what YOU want. Keep stepping out of that comfort zone babe. I’m so proud of you. I don’t really feel like I have a workout comfort zone right now and I am okay with that. Crossfit scares the crap out of me every day and I kind of like that feeling. For example, today is my pull up intro. Freaking nervous.

Lisa September 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Great job Meg! Even little pushes outside our comfort zone are a great thing for us to become stronger people over all! Its definitely good to get out of that comfort every now and again!
xo

onehealthymunchkin September 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone! I can totally relate. I’m most comfortable running or using weights at the gym. Fitness classes, workout videos, and any workouts with unfamiliar moves are all totally out of my comfort zone so I don’t do them. But when I think about it, it’s so silly to restrict myself to only a few types of workouts when there are so many great ones out there that I could be doing! I need to start switching it up and trying new things too. Thanks for the inspiration girl! :)

sprint2thetable September 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

So proud of you!!! Getting outside our normal routines is good for the mind AND the body. Are you sore today? I always am after a new routine!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I love online workout videos!! I have another post about that this week! I have never been to Chelsey’s site!! Thanks girl!

forgottenbeast September 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yup, gym + free weights = my comfort zone :) But I do love shaking it up! Because as much as I love the gym (and Tara’s workouts ;D ), it’s fun to try something new, and I find I’m even more eager/refreshed to get back to the usual! And I used to do bodyrock videos waaay back in the day, but that was pretty much it for my workout video experience.

betterwithsprinklesblog September 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m definitely with you with the gym being a comfort zone. Give me free weights and a couple of machines and I am a happy girl – I think I’m going to be out of my work out comfort zone as well for a little while! I think it’s nice to change it up once in a while, so I’m just going to try and go with it (it’ll probably be a few weeks before I join a new gym)

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My gym is also my comfort zone. I just fit in with all the other regulars and trainers. (Maybe not allllll the regulars…)

It feels good getting out of the comfort zone. Swimming is out of mine for sure, but I try and put in some laps every once in a while.

Emily September 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You’re such a rockstar, Meg!
I swear we’re twinsies! I’ve been pushing myself to try workouts that are outside of my comfort zone recently too. After being inspired by Heather’s posts (For The Love Of Kale), I decided to finally try a ZWOW workout last week. I’ve always been nervous about them and wasn’t sure how I’d like working out at home, along with a computer. But, I loved it! I’ve actually done 3 other ZWOW workouts since then and each one has kicked my butt. They’re the perfect solution for the days when I don’t have time to make the 15-20 minute drive to the gym.

SO proud of you. And I’m definitely going to try Chelsey’s workout!

xoxox

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts September 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Go Megsy! I’m kind of the opposite, I go through stages where I don’t want to do weights, or I hate the thought of cardio, I only want to work out outside etc. It’s annoying!

Michelle September 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Girl, this could not have come at a better time! I am kind of the opposite – the gym is NOT my comfort zone. But now that I’m back in school, I have access to a gym (and an amazing one at that!) but so far I’ve only used it to run on the treadmill when it’s too early (and dark) to do it outside. I want to try out the weights and machines so badly, but I’m always scared because of all the macho guys there. I know everyone says that and everyone else says, “Just go for it! Don’t worry about what they think!” But for some reason I always do worry. I think I need to go sometime when it’s almost empty and figure out where everything is. And then remind myself that all the guys there are like… 18. I am way older than them, and therefore way smarter ;-)

Ashley Whelan (@freckleandspice) September 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I’ve been taking a break this year – but spinning was always my work out comfort zone. I didn’t have to plan anything because the instructor did that for me.
Polymetrics was always my least favorite and intimidating for me.
Writing this makes me itch to get back to the gym! Hopefully soon. Right now, I’ve been loving yoga all year, which used to be a huge “out of my comfort zone thing.”
I love Lindsay List Trainer Tuesday videos. I even contributed once.
Glad you found something you loved in something new!

Kimberly @ Redefining Kim September 5, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Way to go, Meg! I am sending you a virtual high five for stepping out of your workout comfort zone and trying something new. My workout comfort zone has always been cardio with a group – either running or group aerobics. I am trying to learn to workout alone and to embrace something other than just cardio.

Stephanie @ Snacking☀nSunshine September 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

ATTAGIRL!
My workouts change with the seasons. When I can run outside, I totally do, and I like to do hot yoga in the evenings/on weekends. During the winter I do a lot more Jillian DVDs because running inside on a treadmill gets gloomy if I do it more than once or twice a week…

teabagginit September 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

the elliptical is definitely my comfort zone but i’ve recently pushed myself out of it and onto the yoga mat – result, loving it! good for you for pushing yourself – and thriving as a result!

katalysthealth September 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Are those kettlbells I see?? :):) You know I love those!
I do def have comfort zones, and Im trying to push past them, its just hard when I dont belong to a gym!! SO Im trying to add in more things like burpees and sprints lol

fortheloveofkale September 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

GIRL!!! YAYYY. I’m so stoked for you. Ditching that black-and-white mentality can be so hard. It’s something that we definitely have to fight – and we are fighting it with flying colors. I’m so proud of you, girl!!!

Di September 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I try to get out my comfort zone a lot. I have a workout video every weds on my blog so thinking about that helps ;)
Had to go on the elliptical myself yesterday, usually like to warm up on cardio for 10 mins before teaching bodypump but ALL the treadmills and stepmills were taken. Elliptical it was or nothing… it was ok, did my 10 mins
My latest things has been swimming though! Sent myself a goal beginning of Aug to swim 1 mile and I reached that Fri 31st August, swam 1 mile that morning. It was a tough slog but I did it. Mind games!!!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish September 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Oh sis, I’m SO SO excited/happy/ecstatic/PROUD!!! Huge huge hugs for stepping outside your comfort zone and killing that HIIT workout! I know you’ve been looking for something new, and I can only imagine how good it must feel to begin making changes! I can’t wait to gchat with you to chat more about this! You already know that I’ve been feeling the same way…Tara is designing a new program for me, but it’s going to be a bit different from my previous programs! I’m excited to see it! But I think I’m even more excited to hear what changes you have in store. ;) LOVE YOU!!! xoxo

p.s. I’m going to read today’s post tomorrow because I’m super tired! Let’s set a chat date soon, k? <3