WIAW: Healthy Habit #1

by Meg on September 12, 2012

It’s Wednesday and I’m so happy because I love Jenn’s WIAW theme for this month and was disappointed that I didn’t have the chance to participate last week due to my busy travel and school schedule!

I’ve been waiting all week for Wednesday to come, so I couldn’t be happier that it’s finally here! :) As I’m sure most of you already know, this month’s WIAW theme is about healthy habits. For each Wednesday in September from now on I plan on sharing a healthy habit or tip of mine with you!

Today we’ll be talking about how I refuel after a workout and my first healthy habit of September:

Healthy Habit #1
Refuelling myself properly throughout the day while at school. Now that I have a new schedule that I need to adapt to, I have to start planning my meals accordingly. I will accomplish this healthy habit by packing my meals ahead of time to make sure my body is getting all that it needs to thrive!

I have only been lifting heavy weights for two years and consider only one of those years to be “serious.” The first year when I started to lift, I spent the majority of my time training my upper body and abs while neglecting my lower body. Basically, I was performing exercises I liked to do rather than performing exercises to improve my health, strength, etc. Then I got smart, thankfully, and started training my entire body.

Despite the fact that I’ve only been lifting for a short period of time, I have learnt a lot about training, exercise nutrition, and what works best for me.

I started off by having a post workout shake after my workouts. My post workout shakes would include 1 scoop of protein powder, skim milk, and a piece of fruit. These liquid post workout meals would leave me feeling quite hungry shortly after though, so then I started experimenting with having a solid meal after my workouts…

I’d have tuna, egg, or turkey sandwiches, Greek yogurt with fruit and cereal, or cereal with “protein” milk (milk mixed with 1 scoop of protein powder). These meals worked better for me than the protein shakes, but I still wasn’t seeing any noticeable gains.

Since I have a passion for both fitness and nutrition, I began to do a lot of research on how to properly refuel after a workout. I’m sure you all know this by now, but there is a lot of information out there and a lot of the information differs from the other.

I’m happy to say that I think I’ve found something that works for me now, though! I have two post workout meals now – one liquid and one solid.

Chocolate & Banana Protein Shake

Eggs scrambled with baked sweet potato chunks and cinnamon

My trainer suggested that I have a post workout shake immediately after my workouts followed by a solid meal once I get home. This way my muscles are able to quickly receive the nutrients that they need from my shake without having to wait for the breakdown of the solid food to take place. The solid meal that I have once I get home is essential too, though! Having just a protein shake was definitely not enough for me – my body needed more fuel! So now, by having two post workout meals, I am refueling my body properly and sufficiently!

I have all sorts of different types of post workout meals that I love, but yesterday was one of the best!

After my workout, I had a chocolate fig protein shake while in the change room at the gym.

Chocolate Fig Protein Shake

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
2 figs
1 handful spinach
cinnamon
ice
water

Once I got home, I scrambled myself 4 egg whites with garlic powder and fresh dill and enjoyed those along side a baked sweet potato topped with goat cheese and chopped figs!

Definitely a winning combination! You have to try it! :)

Today's second post workout meal is a little less fancy than yesterday's because it will be eaten at school.

Chicken breast & baked sweet potato with cinnamon

How do you refuel after a workout?

Lots of love,
xoxo

Don’t forget about this week’s High Five Friday! I know you have something to give yourself a high five for, so please send me an email to adashofmeg@gmail.com with your name, a description of your high five, a picture (optional), and your blog or website URL if you have one!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 12, 2012 at 6:27 AM

If it is an early am workout.. I usually have a protein shake on my way to work. If i have a PM workout.. I am usually coming home to make dinner.. which will be packed with protein!

Anjali September 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Looks good! Do you bring a blender to the gym?? I know it’s a silly question but how do you make your shake immediately after working out? It’s a great idea!

juliegolean September 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM

same for me! i usually chug a protein shake on the way home in the car hahaha and then a little while later have some kind of meat or eggs – usually when i get to work i just recently started doing this and i LOVE it i feel like i’m recovering faster and i know i’m getting enough calories to refuel post workout!

Alexandra September 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Man, I seriously need to find freaking figs at the grocery store– everyone keeps raving about how tasty they are and I want in on the tastebud party!! :D

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness September 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Love the post workout meals and can’t wait to try the sweet potato goat cheese and fig combo! It takes a while to figure out what works for you so I’m so happy you have! Liquid post workout nutrition is key for me!

fortheloveofkale September 12, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I love you, sis! Brava to you for finding out what works for you and your bod pod. You’re a rock star! durrrr.

Fruit and chocolate protein pudding oats babayyyy! For myself, I’m not really looking to change my appearance with strength training. I enjoy it but seeing gains isn’t a primary concern of mine so I’m happy with my routine! :-)

Candice September 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Chocolate and PB smoothies got me through years of intense training for swimming. Growing up my mom would pick me up from morning practice and I would inhale one of those on the way to school. I kinda miss those days!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I usually eat a meal after my workouts. I typically workout early in the am then have 2nd breakfast or right before dinner. I need to start lifting heavier weights. I think I’m breaking down and joining a gym!

Taylor September 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Meg! It had been far too long! In fact, do you even remember me?! I LOVE seeing things like this – lately I think I have been exercising more, but in fact eating less….and I’m beyond scared to trust that my body really needs the fuel to build muscle (in my mind-well, my ED mindset – I am very quick to think that my body is not going to use the extra food for muscle growth, you know?) and actually eat more – you are SO inspiring, and I’m really trying to branch out and try to add to my meals, but it’s proving very, very challenging. We both enjoy so many of the same foods though, that I might just start mimicking/experiementing with the combos you have going!

I miss talking with you! Could we email soon? :)

forgottenbeast September 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Tara really helped me out with the refueling, too! I’m never hungry/in the mood for a full meal RIGHT after a workout, but if I ONLY do a shake, I’m ready to pass out from hunger an hour later. So yep, quick protein shake right after followed by some good ol’ carbs (with a little more protein) :)

Kimberly @ Redefining Kim September 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

90% of my workouts are the evenings which means I am eating a real meal within 20 minutes of completion. I have been known to sip a protein shake or nibble a protein bar while preparing my meal.

Anne@LoveMintChocolateChip September 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

i need to jump on the protein shake band wagon!!!!!!!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

that sweet potato, goat cheese, and fig combo?! i can’t even handle it..looks AHmazing!

Alex @ therunwithin September 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

gosh it all looks so yummy, I loved that training has helped you learn about fueling your body

Dannii September 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

After workouts I have a banana smoothie and eggs usually.

abznoats September 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Yum! :) I’ve been refueling after workouts with Progenex lately! Love the stuff!

Luvena September 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I workout early (4:45 am) so after my workout I have a protein shake with half a banana and then about an hour or so later I have a solid BF usually 4 egg white omelet and oats with either blueberries or raspberries and a mix of chia and almond butter. YUM!!

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Sounds like a great plan! :)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes September 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Okay I like all this food! Usually there’s so much sushi, lol. A fig shake sounds fantastic.

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM

HAHA I am glad you enjoyed this love :)

betterwithsprinklesblog September 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I have my workout in the mornings, so I usually have breakfast right after. I feel like I would probably see more noticeable gains if I followed your strategy though! By the time I get home, get organized, and prepare breakfast, 20-30 minutes have passed since my workout. Great strategizing!

And clearly, loving your figs! :-p

Meghan @ TheMeghaMix September 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Lately I am into a scoop of protein powder with about 10 oz of milk. I totally hear you on planning food ahead of time. I eat basically every three hours, and between workouts and my job I usually have to pack 3-5 “meals” in my lunch box. I always include some protein and either a fruit or veggie with each. It’s a lot of work but it saves me a ton of money and keeps me from ending up stuck with less healthy choices.

Annette Perkins (@FitnessPerks) September 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I do this too! I always have choc milk with some 100% whey powder RIGHT after lifting, and then when I get home I have a meal. It totally works awesome!

LOVE the idea of figs in the smoothie. YUMM.

Tara September 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

You know I approve of this ;) I refuel in the same way, although today I had three meals and my PWO shake in the space of 3 hours!! I was super stuffed, haha.

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM

So happy you approve, sis :) I need to talk to you about nutrition now that I’m in school ;)

Lori and Michelle (@purelytwins) September 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

we do a smoothie afterwards then usually an egg based meal of sorts. love goat cheese and figs!! YUM

sprint2thetable September 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Lucky me – I am really close to the gym, so I just jog home and make something massive and protein-loaded. If I’m going to see my trainer I always bring a smoothie with a carb… and then after the 45 mins drive home I have another protein snack.

Of course you did the eggs with sweet potato… because SO DID I!!! LOL! I adore you, my twin. Sykpe/Facetime date SOON!

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM

PLEASE! I cannot wait to chat :D I LOVE YOU, miss

Chelsea Eats Treats September 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Wow sweet potato + goat cheese + figs sounds amazing!!

Kammie September 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The egg scramble looks super amazing. With sweet potato? What an idea! Mmm

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yes! Sweet potato! So tasty, right!? :)

devan September 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

goat cheese, figs, and sweet poatatos. OMG yum!
today was my first day lifting!
you are such an inspiration.
I adore you!! xx

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

AHHHH! DEVAN! You make me smile and my heart SING! I love you girl and am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Deirdre September 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’ve been loving figs lately and alwasy welcome new ideas for how to eat, though they’re great on their own…Stopping by from the WIAW link up…cheers!

onehealthymunchkin September 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Girl where are you finding figs in London!? Please spill! :D

Meg September 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Remark haha

Laura September 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I usually can’t eat before an early workout, I start feeling sick. But, I usually love having oats or a sweet potato and some eggs afterwards. Thanks for the fig ideas, that sweet potato, goat cheese and figs looks exquisite!

FitnJess September 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I love refueling with a whole wheat bagel or english muffin, banana, pb and a nice big glass of milk!

Kristin @ My Mission Impossible September 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I do the same!! Always on the weekends, sometimes on the weekdays, but for some strange reason I’m not quite as hungry on the weekdays, I think b/c it’s 5:30 am and I just scarfed down a preworkout too…either way, it’s such a great feeling when you figure out what your body responds too, and it’s evident too…you are looking super muscular lately!!!

Becki (@Fight4Wellness) September 18, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I bought figs on a whim at Whole Foods this week and thought of you immediately. I need to use them asap, so I think I’ll probably give the shake and sweet potato a try.