The Power of Positive Thought and Talk

by Meg on October 17, 2012

Remember that research paper that had me on a blogging hiatus until yesterday? Well, I didn't even mention what it was about! Shame on me because the assingment actually really excited me and I became very passionate about it. Passionate, but stressed.

The assignment was to design a community-based nutrition program and develop an evaluation plan for that program on a topic of our choice.

From there, we were expected to write a literature review to identify a need for the program in which we wanted to implement. We also needed to write an evaluation plan and describe the target population for the program, our programs' goals and objectives, and how the program would be monitored.

You can read more about my assignment here if you really want to ;) (I attached the actual assignment guidelines)

Since I'm all about making people feel better about themselves, enhancing self-esteem and confidence, and increasing positive thinking and thought, you can only imagine what my program was about ;)

I mean, why not shine a light on High Five Friday

So, that's exactly what I did.

My program was a body satisfaction and self-esteem enhancing program, which I chose to implement within elementary schools to target children at a young age before their self-esteem patterns and body images became damaged.

I did a lot of research for my paper and there is so much evidence on the positive effects of positive self-talk! I was so happy! :)

Many of the articles I found stated that it was important to focus the positive self-talk on accomplishments and successes rather than appearance.

Uhm, hello? High Five Friday right there! :)

As I said, I was very passionate about this assignment and my passion grew with the more research I did…

So, I wanted to remind all of you that positive thought and positive talk are very powerful things. Research even says so ;)

The next time you find yourself focusing on your appearance and being negative about yourself, I want you to reverse those thoughts.

Change the negative thoughts into positive ones.

It might be hard if you're in a real funk, but it can be done and it's worth it. Trust me.

Let go of those negative thoughts.

Take a deep, deep breath and exhale all of the negativity out of your body and mind. Let it go…

Focus on how amazing you are.

If you're thinking of the future and are upset that you "haven't made it to your goal yet", think about how far you've come.

If you're thinking about a past mistake, counteract that thought by thinking of an accomplishment you've made. Remember, we learn from our mistakes and fails.

Any negative thought can be replaced with a positive one.

Do this for yourself. You deserve to feel good about you.

Negative thinking, and speaking, are a waste of time. When you include more positivity in your life it will be so much more fulfilling! :)

In the future, I really do hope to implement a program like High Five Friday to promote positive self-talk. I hope to make it the common way of bonding rather than "fat talk" that, according to research, is the social norm among women.

Focus on accomplishments, successes, moments that had you feeling really good about yourself, and anything else that makes you smile that beautiful smile of yours! :)

I want to hear from you! Do you remember the last time you engaged in negative talk? Do you think a program like High Five Friday would be beneficial if implemented within elementary schools?

Did you email me your High Five Friday submission yet? ;)

Love you all!

xoxo

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Great post, and I needed the reminder to not let negative self talk take over. It can happen more easily than we realize. And on the other hand, the power of positive thoughts can be sorely underestimated. I love the topic of your research paper. It is obvious how passionate you are about it, and that’s contagious for those of us interested in similar studies. :)

Linz October 17, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Please come to my school and talk to my kiddos about self esteem and confidence! Itz sad that I see these things at the young age of third grade :( We do lots of things to build community and confidence in my classroom, but some of the little ones still struggle with it and it breaks my heart!

Kacie Phillips October 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I absolutely LOVE your message! It’s such a beautiful thing how choosing happiness and positivity can have lasting effects on ourselves and those around us. Kudos to YOU on taking the next step to truly impact the lives of others through your research! YOU ROCK!!! And I totally feel you on the blogging hiatus. Midterm week and career week back to back has left me on my own hiatus! Enjoy your day, Meg!

fortheloveofkale October 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Babayyyy! You KNOW this post is amazing?! I grew even more passionate about this post as I read on because I could literally feel your passion with each paragraph. High Five Friday is such an amazing idea and I think it could become an amazing tool for teachers to implement in their classrooms every week! All. Because. Of. You. LOVE YOU, BABE!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Great post Meg! You are awesome and I love how much positivity you spread! I really need to work on self-esteem/positively and thank you for the reminder!

Emily October 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM

This is so great! I love your creativity, while most people would be concerned with financial-type programs, yours focuses on an issue that CAN’T be fixed with money! Love it. I think kids would benefit from this because poor body image and disordered eating tends to begin in elementary age kids.

GOtheXtraMile October 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I LOVE THIS! So amazing, Meg. You really did start such a great thing :) xoxo

Alex @ therunwithin October 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

wow what a great project to do, so relevant to say the least. you are amazing, attitude is everything

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) October 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

SO TRUE! GREAT POST GIRLIE! Positive and lovely as always! xo

Lisa October 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I wrote a post similar to this yesterday:) I’m so glad you implemented this into your project! its a great thing you are doing!! I miss youuu! Did you want to Skype this weekend?! I owe you an e-mail!! I’ll hopefully get one to you today! xox

EverdayLivingPNW October 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Way to be so positive…not easy to do now-a-days…

Addie October 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

LOVE THIS! I just started reading your blog. I am a WIC dietitian in Iowa… days go from crazy hectic to dead boring, and healthy living blogs help fill the boring time. I think this idea would be awesome to incorporate into the nutrition education we give families at our clinics. Thank you for sharing!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Love this!! This is what my master’s is all about!!! :) Can’t wait for our chat tonight!

peaceloveandoats October 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

This is a great post Meg, definitely something I need to work on. I also think this would be good in elementary school but even better in middle school! I work with elementary school kids and they all pretty much think they’re awesome, this would be a great program to implement around 6th-7th grade when kids really start doubting themselves! Actually, this would be great for ANY age!

cottercrunch October 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

did we read each others minds? I mean really! You are my twin, my little sis! ahh, love this and love. Positivity for the win!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Love the idea of positive communication over fat-talk. It’s almost a cultural stigma (there’s my soc/crim background talking :-p) to say something positive about our bodies – women tend to bond over putting their bodies down, comparing who has it the “worst” in terms of what their body looks like. No wonder eating disorders and body dysmorphia are so rampant in modern society!

Clearly, we could all benefit from a little positive self talk, both to ourselves and in social situations. So cool that you’re recognizing it and bringing it into your project. :-)

Meg October 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Love this girl, I know we talked about this a couple days ago and I KNEW you’d get it finished and do awesome – I can’t wait til you can have it read by your professor and other people. It’ll be incredible! Positivity all da way chica

Corinne October 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Love this! Thank you for letting us in on what you’ve identified in your research and how we can learn to appreciate and love ourselves!

katiemoves October 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

would kids benefit?? ABSOLUTELY!! I plan on starting an after school program with girls at the school I work at soon. I’m incredibly excited about it! :)

Health, Love, and Chocolate October 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I really love this project as well as your topic! Your major seems really interesting (I am doing a nutrition minor) so all your school posts are right up my alley.

Jen October 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM

This is truly beautiful – your post, your research topic & YOU!