It’s Crunch Time

by Meg on November 28, 2012

Crunches.

I used to do 100's of them every single night before bed.

Used to is the key phrase there…

My training has changed a lot over the years. Thank goodness.

When I first started "working out" I did an hour of core work and called it a day. Slowly, I became more and more interested in weight lifting, so I started picking up some dumbbells and included upper body workouts into my routine.

loved shoulder day, but I hated training legs. So, I only trained my arms and neglected my legs.

Luckily this style of training only lasted about 8 months thanks to finding a true passion and love for weight lifting.

I began reading more and more… learning more and more… and training smarter – training my entire body (not just my favourite parts ;))

Thinking back to the days when I did 100's of crunches before bed kind of makes me giggle now since I hadn't done any exercises specifically for my core up until yesterday for over a week!

Lately, core exercises are the last thing I want to do, so I haven't done them. I justify my choice by telling myself that my trainer rarely ever trains his core ;)

I think I'll be fine if I miss a week or two of doing crunches ;)

However, yesterday I got back into it and did my all time favourite core exercise once I finished my chest and triceps workout.

Cable crunches!

There's something about cable crunches that I just love. I can really feel myself flexing when I crunch in and I also love that you can add some resistance, too!

One thing that I've changed about my cable crunches since training with my personal trainer is the position in which I face the cable machine and it has made a world of a difference, which is why I want to share this tip with you today! :)

It might not be new to some of you, but it was new to me! So, here's my Wednesday Workout Tip of the Day ;)

I used to face the cable machine when performing cable crunches just like Jamie Eason shown in the picture below.

However, my trainer taught me a new and better way (in my opinion) to do them. Turn around! Perform the crunch with your butt facing the cable machine (the metal pole in the picture above)

I find I get a much better crunch this way as the resistance is in a better position and there is not so much tension being put on your back.

I highly encourage you to try this new way of cable crunching during your next workout and tell me when you think and prefer! :) I'm very excited to hear!

How do you perform cable crunches?

What is your favourite core exercise?

Don't forget to enter my TEAVANA giveaway and submit your high five for this week's High Five Friday post! Not sure what High Five Friday is or how to submit? Read more here!

Have a great Wednesday!

Meg November 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Definitely a silly old habit I had as well in high school, ha! I train my core once or twice a week and I love cable crunches! I also adore planks :)

Love to you, chica!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I'm a big fan of the "russian twist" for working my core.  Paired with planks in between the sets, you can definitely feel it!  :)

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots November 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I used to be a crunch whore, but now I hardly ever do them. I have learned that if you engage your abs in the exercises you are doing it is just the same as dong crunches!

TorontoRunner November 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

ahhh I ALWAYS slack on core/ab exercises. :(

Thanks for the motivation, time to get going on this!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I love working my core!!  I love to do weighted 1 leg vups and planks!

Meghan@TheMeghamix November 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

My fave core exercise is the plank!  I used to be constantly looking for new core exercises and pulling out all those routines from magazines to "mix it up" every month or so.  I would spend 15 minutes several times a week on core.

Now I do a 5 minute round of planks 3x a week and my abs look better than ever!  Okay, well I bet eating clean and CrossFitting are helping a ton, too.  But planks are so awesome because you can do them absolutely anywhere!

Luvena November 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

AWESOME! I am going to try cable crucnches like that next time they come up in a workout. I have tried them a few times but gave up because I just couldnt seem to get a good posititioning and yes they did bother my back.  Thanks for sharing Meg!!! :)

Lisa November 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I used to do the exact same! Crunches every single night. I had to do 300 or couldn't go to sleep. Wow has a lot changed. I don't think I've done a crunch in forever. My abs have never looked better and the most I do are planks. I think weights and using my core in general in everyday life has changed that for the best. Cable crunches look kind of fun;) Have a great day my love!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I've seen people do this move at the gym and I was always so confused!! Haha now I know what they were doing!

Linz @ Itz Linz November 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

cable crunches are SO hard!!! i really like plank work because there are so many variations for core and total body!!

Sarah November 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Isn't it funny to think back about what we did when we first started working out?! haha I know I had NO IDEA what I was doing! It truly makes me laugh too! Thanks for sharing this tip!! Have a great day! :)

Dawn November 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

cable crunches have always been an awkward exersice to me…my body does not feel right when I am doing it but I always face towards the weights so maybe I will try your trainers way and see how it feels. My trainer told me that most weightlifters don't train abs or only a little bit. When he told me that I said I might fall in love with him…lol.

bravehannah November 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I'm with you I use to train my abs WAY too much! haha. Silly us.

Anyway, for some reason I have never tried cable crunches (?!) but after reading this I tried them both ways at the gym yesterday.  I love them and I also prefer facing away from the machine.  I will definitely be adding these in once in awhile:)

Molly November 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for the tip! That is definitely a more efficient way of training your abs and performing crunches. I tried it today! :) BTW Is that your trainer? He is super super super fit! WOW!