Work & Grow

by Meg on January 2, 2013

Good morning and happy hump day, friends! :)

I hope you all started off 2013 with a bang yesterday and spent the day doing exactly what you wanted to do! :)

According to the news feed on my Facebook, many people kicked off the first day of the new year with a workout! Not me, though. I ended 2012 with a great chest and biceps workout, so I allowed my body to grow on the first day of 2013.

(most of my day was spent on the couch with this little one)

I really like referring to my “rest days” as “growth days”. I learnt this from my personal trainer.

As most of you know, in the middle of September I started training with a personal trainer at my gym here in London, ON in order to gain more confidence in and out of the gym and, hopefully, reach my goal of being in some magazines one day.

My trainer has seriously changed my life and view on training. I used to think that I had to go hard 5 – 6 days a week and then let my body rest one single day after a constant streak of heavy lifting.

When I began with my trainer I was told I would only be lifting 4 days a week because that was the training split he used throughout his entire career (and what took him to win the title of Mr. Canada in 1995).
I’ll have to admit, I was hesitant. At the time I was lifting 5 days a week and wasn’t sure how I felt about letting him take one of those days of training away from me, but I trusted him and have been only going to the gym 4 days a week since mid-September.

My trainer said it would be best if we met Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday in order to get the best results. He said this method worked for him because you work your body hard one day and then let it grow the next.

It made so much sense to me when he explained it that way!

So, that’s exactly what I do. Work, grow, work, grow, work, work, grow! I love that way of thinking, don’t you? I much prefer it to how I used to think “go all out until you can’t go anymore and your body is begging for a rest day”. Oh, I know that sounds awful, but I’m sure you’ve done it too – go hard all week and then hit a wall once Sunday rolls around. Sound familiar?

Today will be back training day and I feel confident that I will be able to give it my all since I gave my body the rest it needed and deserved yesterday! :)

I’m really excited for the future. I want my body to keep growing, so I’m working hard and eating a lot.

Bring on the gains, 2013! ;)

What is your approach to training? Do you give your body the rest it needs?

How many days a week do you train?

Questions about training are the most frequent type I receive. Remember, I am not a professional, personal trainer, etc., but I am willing to share with you experiences that have worked for me, so feel free to ask me questions if you have.

Have a great day, friends!

P.s. please email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com with your High Five Friday submissions! High Five Friday takes place in two days and my inbox is empty! I want to here from you! If you would like more information on High Five Friday please read here.

Katelyn January 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM

GET IT GIRL!!! I love lifting. SO much. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a girl that does only cardio. omg. So ready to get after it this year!!

Meg January 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I haven’t done cardio in over a year! INSANE! Lifting gives me so much confidence it’s amazing – so proud of YOU and all you have accomplished with your lifts! xo

sprint2thetable January 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

You KNOW how bad I am about rest days. I love the idea of thinking about them as growth days. Right now my trainer has me taking 2 rest days… but I “cheat” and only take 1 most of the time. Maybe my 2013 goal should be to actually do as I’m told. LOL!

Happy New Year, Twin! Love you!

Meg January 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I think that’s a GREAT goal :) Honestly ;)

Another one? TALK TO MEG MORE lol

Meg January 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

P.s. I love you TOOOOOO

Alex @ therunwithin January 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I love that ‘grow’, I really do. I think people don’t realize how important those rest or grow day s are. Good for you!

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Thanks Alex :) You are wonderful

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

rest days are soo important and it looks like you have learned that if you give your body what it needs it will do exactly what you wanted it to!! You look great keep up the hard work :)

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

thanks baby! I LOVE YOU

TorontoRunner January 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I’ve been so good about actually giving myself a lot of rest lately when I need it! I ran through injuries last year – which was a BAD, BAD idea!!
have a great workout!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale January 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

LOVE that approach, babe. So beautiful. So true. :-) xoxo

Ana January 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Congrats. I usually take 2 rest days per week and I think they are really important to recharge and build muscle!
Great workouts and Happy 2013

julie January 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

yeah gurrrrrrrl look at you go! so happy for you <3 foood is delicious!

bravehannah January 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’ve been feeling a little burnt out on my current workout schedule, I still love lifting but definitely need a change. Maybe I will give this plan a shot! My goal is to keep growing too so this is probably just what I need:) As always thanks for sharing, Meg!

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Oh this excites me!!!! Let me know if you try this method girl xoxo

Caitlin January 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

LOVE referring to rest days as “growth days”. What a way to to put the purpose of rest days in the spotlight!
As you know, I struggle with taking days off, no matter what I call them. I know that muscles need time to rebuild, but sometimes it’s hard for me to take rest days for that very purpose because my mind tells me I don’t lift heavy, a lot, or as “seriously” as some. I don’t have a trainer, I don’t do set muscle group days/workouts, I just lift when I want to and go with the flow. But then that makes me feel I’m not lifting “hard enough” to need many rest days.
Obviously this is a bunch of phooey. I am working on changing my way of thinking! I certainly have come far from the days of obsessively counting every cardio/strength minute. But I appreciate this post because the term “growth days” is a great idea and a good way for me to work on resetting my mind’s thoughts. Thank you baby!

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Oh sweetie pie, so many things you said here remind me of ME!!!!!!! WOW! Do you know I compare myself to you sometimes!? I think “Cait does this, but I don’t, so……” It’s crazy how we alllllll do this!!!!!!!! Wow. I think I am inspired to write another post…

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

What a great trainer that he’s changed your outlook for the better, and you’re still seeing the results! As a multi-sport athlete, rest days are relative. No hard workouts in one sport two days in a row. Alternating the effort to give your body a chance to recover on the go. With one a day a week off. But we’re honestly stretching the “off day” rule this year with snowboarding – so I admit there’s no real complete rest day on my calendar right now. Not what I usually do, but Ironman training + Colorado winter isn’t normal for me. :)

Meghan@TheMeghamix January 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

You are a champ. It is so hard to back down from “work” cause we forget how much work gets done on rest days!

I recently switched from 5 days a week to 4 and am already seeing a ton of improvement in my body composition, performance at the box, and overall peace of mind. It’s so great not too feel burned out all the time!

lifeasliv January 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Love the idea of “growth” instead of rest! It makes those days that much more enjoyable. :)

broccolihut January 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I too live the idea did “growth” instead of “rest”– so true!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I’ve taken 3 WEEKS of rest! I am about ready to hit the gym again. Can you come train me?? ;)

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

YOU KNOW I WOULD!

IHeartVegetables January 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I love the rest/grow way to do it. That’s a cool way to think of it. And you look amazing Meg, so clearly it’s working ;)

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

LIZ! <3 omg thank you

Lainee Adair January 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I felt the EXACT same way when I started with my trainer! He is BIG on “rest” days! So I meet with him on Wednesday and Friday but I work out the other two days without him. He has me do two days of cardio which are up to me when (I never do it on leg days) and it’s only for 30 minutes keeping my HR at 110 for ultimate fat burning. He does the fancy weighing thing every Friday and so far he’s only had to make 1 adjustment which was heavier lifting, more protein, and one day less cardio. Since then I’ve been making measurable gains. I was so hesitant at first. I was afraid I was wasting my very hard earned money. But that fancy scale thingy doesn’t lie and I recently have begun to see some big changes in my legs which I thought would never come! I’ve also magically been able to wear my size 4 and 5 jeans! Comfortably I might add, and the 5′s need a belt! I eat like a horse and weigh only 1 pound less so OBVIOUSLY my trainer is doing something right! Keep up the great work, I expect some Flex Friday submissions girl, you are looking like a BEAST!

xoxo
~Lainee

Meg January 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like you are having a great experience, girl! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU WOW

Linz @ Itz Linz January 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I took off the first day of the new year also… twins!

Taylor January 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I absolutely live this post, Meg! Your drive to make more gains this year is inspiring – I’m in the same boat. I’m finally trusting my trainer, and thigh it took me FOREVER, I’m happy that I’m starting to shut up the ED part of my brain and just do what she says.

Do you mind me asking how much you eat? Because my trainer has me eating like a horse as well, and it just feels so abnormal, so getting some perspective from someone else who eats all the time as well might seriously help!

Cheers, lovely!