Future Plans

by Meg on January 8, 2013

Thinking about my future… such a scary thought. One that often makes me very anxious, stressed, confused, and, somtimes, even cry!

I’m sure the majority of you can relate?

In all seriousness though, I truly do think it’s scary to think about the future and “my plan”, but I had a request to blog about this topic from a very special reader of mine, so I’ll do my best to tackle it and tell you a little bit about what I am thinking my future will look like once I am done my undergrad this spring…

I began my undergrad with a “plan” to graduate with my Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition and apply for internships in order to become a Registered Dietitian that same year. However, plans change, ideas change, and passions change.

I’ll be completely honest here and say, at the beginning of this school year I felt lost, confused, and a little panicked, actually. I thought I lost my passion and interest in becoming a Registered Dietitian. As a result, I opted out of applying for internships this year.

This was an incredibly hard decision for me to make because it’s been my dream to become a Registered Dietitian for basically ever, but many contributing factors led me to believe it was the right decision in the end.

First of all, by not applying for internships this year I was able to put my full focus into my studies and pull off some amazing grades! In fact, the highest grades I’ve received throughout all of my years of university! :)

Second of all, this year is not my only chance to apply for internships! I am able to apply for internships for the next two years. So, my opportunity of becoming a Registered Dietitian is not over.

dietitians_of_canada_logo

And, my passion isn’t gone either.

It definitely was for a while, though. I was actually considering doing my masters in psychology, but my heart is in the field of dietetics. It’s my passion and I think(?) it always will be.

One thing did change, though. The area of practice that I am interested in.

There are several different areas of dietetics:

- Clinical

- Community

- Food service

- Research

I used to want nothing more than to be a clinical dietitian; however, throughout my four years of university I’ve learnt that I am not a fan of the clinical aspect of the profession. I’m definitely more interested in the community portion of dietetics, which is why I am taking my third community-based course this term! :) (I am very excited if you didn’t already catch on ;) )

So, what are my future plans then?

Obviously, I don’t know where the future will lead me for sure, but I can tell you the following:

- I will be completing my undergrad this year, while receiving my Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition

- I may take a few classes this summer to better my knowledge

- I will be applying for internships during the next school year

In the end, I do want to complete an internship and receive my Registered Dietitian credentials. Other than that, we’ll see where the future leads me! :)

Scary, yes, but also very exciting!

I hope you enjoyed this post and learnt a little bit more about me. If you’re confused about the process of becoming a Registered Dietitian, check out the Registered Dietitians of Canada website and click their “Careers” tab. You will find all the information you need about the education I’ve taken and the internship process I’m hoping to complete! :)

Tomorrow I’ll be back with a What I Ate Wednesday post! See you then :)

Have you ever questioned your future?

Do you know where you want to go with your career?

Have you emailed me with your high five yet? ;) For more information about High Five Friday please read here.

Becki January 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I’ve done some major questioning of my future this year. I’ve changed directions so many times I can’t even count. Well, changed isn’t really the right word. I’ve honed my direction so many times I’ve lost count.

Right now I’m feeling very excited about my future and the direction I’m heading, but it’s still overwhelming sometimes. I think that if your future doesn’t scare you, you aren’t dreaming big enough! :-)

Loved learning a bit more about what you want to do and it’s great to know other people go through this search the same way I have. Love you, Meg!!! :-)

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

So happy you are excited about your future too! LOVE YOU SO MUCH

Lex January 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Gah! such an exciting point in your life! Good luck!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thanks Lex!!!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I remember that feeling well! I’ll be 30 this year and I still don’t really know what I want to be when I grow up. LOL!

You are going to be the BEST dietician and I can definitely see you rocking the community portion. You are such a caring person – just what people need to be eocouraged to imprve their health.

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

AWWW this made me tear!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yep I definitely remember that feeling in college. It’s definitely intimidating and completely normal. Sounds like you’re following your heart, which is great!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thanks girl xo

Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) January 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That all sounds so good girlie! You will be amazing at whatever you choose. And life has a funny way of sorting itself out! Can’t wait to see where life will take you :)

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thanks girly!!!! :D

Amanda @ Run Principessa January 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oh I love that you posted this. I am feeling so lost and confused because I’ve lost some passions, gained some others, flip flopped them, etc etc etc. I get so stressed because of the money those decisions take to make because colleges don’t like to make changing your mind cheap and easy. Psh, forget that. I know you’ll kick butt with whatever you do and I can’t wait to see you do it!!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Awwww baby! You are so sweet – thank you

Alex @ therunwithin January 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

this is so exciting and something I needed to remember when I graduated was that I didn’t need to have a plan set in stone, I could just take advantage of the opportunities that came my way.

Sarah @PickyRunner January 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I made a similar decision this year with my chemistry major and didn’t apply for internships. My passion is in nutrition and food science and I plan on pursuing that as a graduate program. Thanks for posting all of these options! I don’t want to go into clinical dietetics either and it’s nice to see that there are other paths to take.

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Wow we are similar ;)

Lisa January 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

You are an amazing person inside and out and I know you will do wonderful things with this gift you have to bring light to other peoples lives. Whatever you do you will make changes and be wonderful at it! I’m happy you are listening to what your heart is telling you to do. I still struggle with knowing what I want to do, but I know one day it will come. Love and miss you beauty! xo

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

AHHHH you are such a sweetie. Thanks Lisa – love you too. Skype soon – whenever you are free

lifeasliv January 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I can definitely relate to the future being a scary and sometimes stress filled idea. I’m so, so happy for you that your plan seems to be all coming together and you’re HAPPY! Being happy with what you want to do is of the utmost importance. :)

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

You’re such a sweetie Love you

Allison @ Life's a Bowl January 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It sounds like you do have a plan, even if it wasn’t the original plan you had! I graduated a couple of years ago with a degree in education, taught for a year, and then took a leap of faith to pursue my passion in event planning and couldn’t be happier :) Go with your gut, no one knows best but you!

P.S. What are the differences between all of the areas of practice?!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Good for you for following your gut! :) yay Allison!

Research – well kind of self explanatory

Community – more health promo

Clinical – hospital/counselling

Food service – businesses/catering/hotels/etc.

That’s very general and brief obviously :)

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Girl, I am 28 and still constantly questioning my future. I have flipped and flopped and flipped again in jobs and locations so many times, I consider myself a flight risk. :) Even now, I’m working towards potential future change.

What I HAVE learned is that everything I did, every choice I made, somehow, later, led me/helped me/guided me to where I am now, so no decision is ever WRONG, it just might change your path a little bit. But you can usually turn around if you have to. [You might just have to chop down some bushes or go off-roading for awhile.]

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

SO TRUE!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The feeling of “what should I do with my life” doesn’t always stop when you graduate, which I think is kind of fun and kind of scary. I started in IT and it’s interesting looking back at the twists and turns things took to get me to Digital Strategy (Marketing) where I am now. I’m glad you get more than one chance to change your mind!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It is a fun scary! :)

Meghan@TheMeghamix January 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Girl! Go you for taking smart steps and focusing on getting killer grades.

I totally hear you. I have def cried about the future (but of course, I cry about basically anything).

I have been trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up for 20 some years and only this week feel like I have some good traction on it. (Since the whole ballerina princess idea of my 4-year-old self fell through.) Keep at it and take comfort in Christ who guides you and loves you no matter what!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Wow this week!?!? EXCITING!

Love you girl

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I most definitely identify with taking different directions and changing plans. I’ve been a high school math teacher for 12 years, and decided to pursue certification as a health coach last year because I’m so passionate about health and wellness. Some might think it’s crazy, but who knows what doors it might open and where I’ll go from here! Just keep checking in with yourself and doing what makes you most happy! :)

Meg January 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

So true, Michelle! xo

GOtheXtraMile January 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Wow, crazy I am going through the same thing at this exact moment with my major! You will be great at whatever you do, Meg. I know you will! :D

Meg January 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Thanks, love! Same to you <3

Caitlin January 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Love this post, baby! I really like hearing what your passionate about. It’s great that you didn’t let the fact that you didn’t apply for an internship the first time around derail your plans. After all like you said you can always still do it! Plus if you had gone ahead and done one, it may have been clinical. Now you can do one that’s community-based – more in line with your passion. I can definitely see you in a community setting as an RD more so than clinical. You did projects on community nutrition last semester, didn’t you? Thanks for sharing!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I did!!!!!! OMG great memory, twin!

Love you

Caitlin January 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Of course I remember what my love does!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy January 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I question my future almost daily! I think it is important to remember that our plans for our life change and there is nothing wrong with that. What is important to us at one point won’t always be important. Priorities change.

Meg January 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Such an important thing to remember!

Megan January 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I’m in 12th grade , and just applied to university to hopefully get a degree in food and nutrition, I’m so excited and scared !

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!

Emily @ Have Your Cake And January 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

AWESOME! I applaud you for not applying for internships this year. I applied during my senior year and I regret it terribly, I was so stressed out! You have a way better chance when you are more focused on your applications and not worrying about your GPA at the same time. PS, In the midst of my internship right now and I STILL don’t know exactly what area I want to work in (just definitely not foodservice), so you’re not alone darlin’!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

AHHHHH you are SO amazing – love you, Emily

cottercrunch January 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

you will be a great RD! I am so proud of you for going for it! hard work will pay off!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Thanks, twin! Your comment means so much :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I’m so proud of you sis!! I would so let you be my dietician. :) I know this has been weighing heavily on you, so I’m so glad that you were able to figure out exactly what field you want to be in. You know I’m all about community health!! :)

Meg January 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Thanks, sis <3 I know I can come to you if I need anything ;) p.s. we MUST FaceTime very very soon

BroccoliHut January 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I’m excited to see where the future takes you, Meg! Please keep us updated!

I decided to pursue dietetics when I was already halfway through an undergrad program in another subject at a school that didn’t have a nutrition program. Nonetheless, I knew it was my passion, so I went on to get a master’s degree in nutrition, and now I’m applying for the internship this year. I’m way nervous but hopeful!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I am so proud of you! You are on to wonderful things, babe! I love you

karina January 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I never really comment much but I just have to say….girl i feel you with the whole future uncertainty and the stress of applying for internships. I’m graduating in December and already feel overwhelmed with all the options for internships (different emphasis, different places, different costs,how do I have time to visit these places? how will I know if i’m applying to the right places? what if i don’t get matched?! AHHH!) I plan on applying for the spring 2014 matches (in the USA…I guess I dont really know how it works in Canada). Anyway i guess what i’m saying is I’m glad I’m not alone in the process of figuring things out…..We got this right? haha bring it future!

Meg January 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

WE HAVE IT GIRL! <3 I wish you all the luck in the world :) Everything will work out – there is a plan made just for you xoxo

Thanks for commenting <3

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! January 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

The future is a really scary thing – I’m graduating college in May and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. I came to the realization that the path my current studies would lead me down is *not* one I want to be on. For this reason it’s been hard to finish my studies, but I know I’ll push through and eventually find what I want.

As for you – I’m so glad you’re following your heart and not applying for internships when you’re not ready. I’m a big fan of following your gut feeling, and I have faith you will find your place :-)

purelylori January 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

michelle and I question our future and our careers all the time! those thoughts you are having are completely normal!! and so happy that you are following your heart and still doing what you want to do, even it changes :)
hugs

Miranda @ Biting Life January 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I can definitely relate… thinking about the future is scary!

In college, I changed my major SEVEN times. Yeah, I think that’s some kind of record. I just kept finding so many things I was passionate about and was interested in studying. But I’m glad that I ultimately ended up sticking with English, which is what I’ve ALWAYS wanted to study (but thought I “shouldn’t” because it’s considered kind of a pointless major — although, after being in the field, I completely disagree). My recommendation is definitely to follow your heart and your gut when it comes to what you want to do with your life :)

Now that I’ve graduated, I kind of like the fact that my future is kind of open. I can do so many things with my life… I just have to find opportunities that really click with ME.