hey there, gorgeous!
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Better Than the Best

Good, better, best

Never let it rest

Until the good is better and the better is best

This was a song my second grade teacher used to sing to my class, but it’s still something I repeat to myself today.

Although I may not apply the message of this song to my piano playing skills anymore, I can still use it in many areas of my life.

In the kitchen for an example…

Remember when I told you about my obsession with mixing quinoa with cottage cheese that had been blended with cocoa?

Well, I deemed that combination to be the best ever. But, I have an even better combination for you today and I need to share it with you!

Yes, the strange just got a little bit stranger ;)

sprint2table-strangebutgood-GREEN-2

With the addition of avocado…

I was able to make something strange, but good into something strange, but better ;)

I took it to the next level.

Whipped Cottage Cheese with Avocado

1 cup cottage cheese

2 oz. avocado

liquid stevia

liquid of choice such as milk, water, etc.

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. I like adding 1/4 cup of liquid first and then keep adding 1 – 2 TBSP from there until I reach the desired consistency.

You could add cocoa into the mix as well, but trust me on this one…

It’s kind of fun eating something green in a strange kind of way ;)

I usually still add my quinoa into the mix for a full meal deal

but this morning I added a mix of quinoa and amaranth and it was just as delicious!

So, not only does the addition of avocado to whipped cottage cheese make it taste even better, but it adds nutrition too! Lots of healthy fats, good protein, and complex carbs in this meal!

Give it a try! :)

And don’t fear the green ;)

Have you ever heard of the song I shared at the beginning of this post?

Is there a song someone taught you when you were young that you still think of today?

What is your favourite use for avocado?

Have a great day, friends!

Love to you all!

P.s. if you have a high five to tell me about please email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com so I can feature you in this week’s High Five Friday post! For more information please read the HFF page :)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

66 Comments

Molly

January 29, 2013

What a great addition to the combination! I think you should eat it on St. Patrick’s Day! So proud of all the recipes you come up with. Soon to be the next cookbook author…? Yeah for Yummy!

I hope some day babe ;)

Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog.

January 29, 2013

Whoa – I never thought to mix any of these things together!

Kierston

That looks super tasty!

Love that song :)

Liv @ lifeasliv

January 29, 2013

I’ve definitely heard of that song! When I read it, I immediately read in in that rhyme rhythm. So cute! That whipped avocado concoction looks darn good! I bet it would be good whipped with greek yogurt, too.

January 30, 2013

It definitely is good with Greek yogurt, too! :)

Nelly

Oh my delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table

January 29, 2013

Ahhh! I love this! I made chcoclate pudding that was similar but I used Greek. Must try with cottage cheese. I bet this is the creamiest thing EVER!!!

Kat

January 29, 2013

Mmmmm that sounds great!! And seriously, there is so much protein in that meal right there its not even funny!!

I like my protein ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

January 29, 2013

Very interesting combination . . . . wish I liked cottage cheese!!! I tried, but it just doesn’t work for me. I prefer greek yogurt–do you think that would work as well?

Best use for avocado: guacamole!!! :)

January 29, 2013

Greek yogurt would work perfectly!

Alex @ therunwithin

January 29, 2013

I don’t know if I could do avocado with cottage cheese, texture overload! haah

January 30, 2013

But if it’s all whipped up?? :) Nothing really crazy about the texture at all if you ask me :)

Lisa

January 29, 2013

Aw, I love that saying. So motivational. I kind of love this strange but good combo! I think I’ll need to try it out. I find avocado turns out really well when you mix it with sweeter things!

January 30, 2013

You definitely need to try it ;)

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

January 29, 2013

Oh my gosh, Meg that looks soooo good! YUM!

Try it baby ;)

Meghan@TheMeghamix

January 29, 2013

It wasn’t a song…more of a saying, but in high school musical theatre, our director would say:
    To be early is to be on time.
    To be on time is to be late.
    And to be late is unacceptable.

I like avocados plain, in smoothies, guacamole…or in muffins!!! Jared made these amazing nutella cornmeal avocado muffins once. Soooo good.

Mmmm muffins!? YUM!

Lindsay

January 29, 2013

That is totally crazy haha :) I have to try these strange but good recipes one day. I love using avos for guac. The best!!

Try it try it!! :D

Luvena Cervantes

January 29, 2013

MMMM YUMMY!!!! I LOVE strange combos of food and THIS looks SO GOOD!!!! I love both cottage cheese and avo. My favorite way to ear my avo lately is spreading it on my Ezekiel toast!! YUM :0P

January 30, 2013

THAT’S THE BEST! Besides this recipe haha ;)

Lauren

January 29, 2013

I played piano until I was 18 :-) I miss it so much and I love Christmas time because I can whip out a book and play a couple christmas songs! Also, I throw in some Coldplay if I’m having a rough day. It makes me feel a liiiiittle bit better!

I absolutely love guacamole. I use to despise it and the taste, but I can probably eat it by itself now!

I love playing piano at Christmas!!! :D

Ellie@Fit for the Soul

January 29, 2013

How interesting you post about this Meg! This morning I wanted to change it up and eat something even more out of the norm to what I’m used to eating, so I tried your whipped cottage with cocoa and it was great! The only strange thing about it is that the cocoa powder and already tangy/salty taste of the cottage cheese made it even more strong in that flavor aspect, but I actually don’t mind tangy so I liked it. :) I added fruit to my bowl and some oatmeal instead of quinoa, since I don’t have any at the moment.

January 29, 2013

Sounds great! Add stevia for a more sweet taste!

Carley@OptimisticHealth

January 29, 2013

Yum I oughta try some of that!

I’ve never heard of that song but its catchy and ill probably be humming it in my head all day.

A song I was taught was that girls scout song “one is silver and the other gold” about making new friends and keeping old Ones. I sing it still. They stick forever I swear.

Avocados are good with chips! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

January 30, 2013

Let me know if you try it girl!! :)

Alouise @The Life of Alouise

January 29, 2013

I SO want to like cottage cheese, but I just can’t get on with it ): does ricotta have the same sort of nutritional stats?

January 30, 2013

Have you ever tried cottage cheese blended? It’s so different! It’s not even like cottage cheese anymore especially if you add the avocado and sweetener!! :)

Ricotta is still a great choice, but not same nutritional stats!

Hmm not sure about this combo but you have me intrigued ;) I also remember that saying haha.

January 29, 2013

Please try it out :D I have it every day ;)

Dawn

January 29, 2013

I’m scared to try that combo but the green color is so pretty it makes me want to a least give it a shot.

January 30, 2013

You should at least try it!! :)

Health, Love, and Chocolate

January 29, 2013

Although Greek yogurt is about the only form of cow’s dairy my tummy can handle, avocado in anything is amazing so this still had me totally drooling. :-)

January 30, 2013

You can sub greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese!! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli

January 29, 2013

Oh girl, you have to know I love this! Avocado makes EVERYTHING better! So buttery, so creamy, so delicious! I love adding avocado to smoothies, making avocado pudding (chocolate peppermint was my most recent #strangebutgood creation), and I’ve even put it in pancakes, but I’m sure that doesn’t really surprise you! ;)

I’d never heard that little song before, but when I was in fifth grade, I learned a song listing all 50 states in alphabetical order…to this day, I can STILL sing every bit of it! Lol

January 30, 2013

Oh my goodness! Avocado in pancakes!? I really need to try! Do you have a recipe for that!? I really need to try your recipes! Seriously! I am so bad at trying recipes. I’m always inventing. Ughhh haha. It’s a goal of mine NOW. Haha!

Love you and sorry to hear about your accident :(

purelytwins

January 29, 2013

this makes us miss avocados :(
    hopefully we can start eating them again soon!
    xoxo

Me too, sis xoxo

BroccoliHut

January 29, 2013

My favorite use for avocado these days is as a topping for my scrambled eggs. It’s SO good with some bell pepper, salsa, and cilantro.

Mmmm sounds amazing! I will have to do that and think of you <3

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish

January 29, 2013

Oh, sis!!! I know how much you love this combination, and yet I still haven’t tried it! I need to jump on the avocado whipped cottage cheese bandwagon quick! I’m so happy that cottage cheese doesn’t seem to be making my stomach wonky anymore because it’s one of my favorite foods ever. Something makes me think that the addition of avocado is going to take it to a whole new level! Have you tried adding avocado AND cocoa powder? I bet THAT would be pretty strange but good, too!

Favorite way to use avocado? I love avocado in EVERY form! Right now I’m particularly enjoying it with my eggs, but I also love spreading it on whole grain toast!

Love you <3 xoxo

January 30, 2013

Ohhhhh avocado and toast! The best! I have added cocoa, too, but I’m loving it without right now :)

In the weirdest way, this looks absolutely amazing! I feel like it would be so creamy and filling!

January 30, 2013

Definitely! Give it a try! :)

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetiet

January 30, 2013

That texture looks phenomenal! Cool idea!

Try it girl! :)

Anjali

January 30, 2013

I LOVE avocados! My favorite way to enjoy avocados lately is to spread it on Ezekial bread with ground pepper and garlic powder. Delicious!

January 30, 2013

Avocado on bread is the best, hunnie! I haven’t added spices to it before, though! I will have to do that next time :)

29. Pingback: WIAW: Dinnfast

Suvi

January 30, 2013

That looks absolutely delicious! I love to try strange combinations. :D I tried whipped cottage cheese for the fist time last week. Can’t believe I never had it before. I love it! Can’t wait to try whipped cottage cheese with avocado. Oh I have to try the cocoa version too. Thanks for the inspiration!

So happy you enjoyed it Suvi <3

Yum! I love avocado, so this sounds divine.

32. Pingback: My Dirty Little Secret

That does sound interesting!! I don’t use avocado often because I can’t seem to pick a good one. This would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!! ;-)

Lot-O-Choc

February 8, 2013

mm that looks delicious! I love avocado it just adds a greet creaminess to dishes – i use mine in my casein ice cream; blend avocado with some casein protein powder + greek yoghurt and freeze for a couple of hours.
    Heaven!!

Haley @ fullnfit

February 9, 2013

We must be on the same page… I had the idea of doing this last night, but was too lazy to get my blender out. (lame, I know…) Now that I see it is good, I’m doing it! Thanks for the inspiration!

February 9, 2013

You have to try this combo girl!

Tonia

June 13, 2013

This sounds delicious!!!!! I usually have blended cottage cheese and pumpkin every day and never get tired of it. I am definitely going to try this very soon.

Quick question: do you cook your quinoa per directions on the bag?

Thanks!!!

37. Pingback: October Breakfast Challenge: Week 1

laura

March 26, 2015

megan how do you keep you quinoa in grains? mine always goies into mush!