WIAW: Inspired

by Meg on February 19, 2013

Hey there beauties!

Before we get into the meat and potatoes of this post (or in this case salmon and sesame seeds ;) ) I really need to thank you for all of your support over the past week.

The support I’ve been receiving regarding intuitive eating has been incredible and I seriously cannot thank you enough! I appreciate every single one of your comments so much, so keep them coming! As I always say, the more support the better <3

Today, we’re taking a break from intuitive eating related posts due to What I Ate Wednesday and the high demand of requests I’ve received to publish a recipe, but I promise I will keep you updated on my journey through regular progress posts as well as any tips or stories that I have to share with you (and trust me, I have a lot 8-) )

Ok, now on to today’s post!
_____________________________________________

In my opinion, it’s perfectly ok to not follow a recipe.

In fact, one of my favourite Food Network chefs, Michael Smith, repeatedly encourages his followers to cook without recipes!

DEERHURST RESORT - Chef Michael Smith Set to Cook New Book

And that’s exactly what today’s What I Ate Wednesday post is devoted to…

cooking without a recipe :)

wiawphotobutton

I become very inspired by other bloggers.

I literally drool over some of their mouth watering meals, but can I follow a recipe they provide me with? No, but like I said, that’s ok! It’s completely and utterly ok to take a recipe and use it as an inspiration! :)

Putting your own spin on an original recipe is what makes cooking so fun anyways isn’t it!? ;)

The following meals, smoothies, and side dishes have been inspired by other bloggers and friends of mine which led to many delicious creations of my own!

a salad inspired by Kat

a smoothie inspired by Lindsay

stuffed sweet potatoes inspired by Juli

bread inspired by Tess

and last, but not least…

salmon inspired by Wendy <3

As you can see, I’ve been cooking a lot lately and trying many new things while I’m at it! All have turned out wonderful and delicious, so I plan on sharing all of the above recipes with you! But today, you just get one! ;)

The salmon seemed to create the most hype over Instagram and Facebook, so I’ll share that one with you first today! :)

Nori and Toasted Sesame Seed Crusted Salmon

2 salmon fillets
1 nori sheet
toasted sesame seeds (approx 1 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

While waiting for the oven to heat, place salmon on baking tray lined with tin foil.

In a bowl, crumble nori sheet and toss in sesame seeds. I do not have an actual measure for the sesame seeds because I based it on look, but I would say 1 nori sheet for every 1 – 2 tbsp of sesame seeds. Really, it’s up to you.

When the nori and sesame seeds are tossed together, sprinkle on top of salmon. They will stick to the salmon easily, but don’t be afraid to pat the toppings directly onto the salmon in order to get a nice thick crust.

Once the crust has been applied, season with salt and pepper and bake in oven until done. I never time my fish when baking it, but use the general rule of 10 minutes per inch :)

Serve immediately and enjoy!

Will you be making this recipe?

Are you confident when cooking fish? I find a lot of people say that they “don’t know how” to cook fish, so would you be interested in me posting a vlog demonstrating how I cook my fish in the oven?

What was the most recent recipe you’ve tried? Link me up!

Have a great Wednesday friends and be sure to fill your bellies with a ton of yummy food! ;)

P.s. if you haven’t submitted a high five to me yet, you should! Email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com so I can feature you in this week’s HFF post for something you’ve accomplished this week! Read HERE for more details :)

Sarah @PickyRunner February 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I’m not sure I’m ready to start cooking without a recipe YET but I can see that it’s so important on that path to intuitive eating. Not knowing exactly what’s in every dish is such a refreshing feeling. It’s probably why my relationship around food when I’m at home is so much better than when I’m cooking for myself at school. Great post, girl! Glad to see you’re still making progress :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Cooking with fish can be tricky as it can go wrong so easily. I usually keep it simple by grilling it or baking it.

Wendy February 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Thanks for the shout out Meg!!! I love that recipe!!! Your version looks so yummy and awesome!! xoxo

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I used to think cooking fish was some mysterious thing, but after jumping in and trying it I realize it’s actually the EASIEST thing you can make. And a fast clean up since I always place it on foil or wrap it in parchment to bake. Love that nori idea!

IHeartVegetables February 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I’ve been thinking about trying to incorporate fish into my diet… and salmon seems like a great place to start. My boyfriend eats it a lot so I’m thinking I might try it. I’ll have to show him this recipe!

Ksenija @ Health Ninja February 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Isn’t it nice how much inspiration we food bloggers share? I had a good giggle yesterday, when I found out that Amanda from runningwithspoons made exactly the same cinnamon apple rolls using an old recipe of sally’s baking adiction as me – the same day. We are such a small close world!

Picky Nicky February 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Im definitely going to try the blueberries in the sweet potato :D no clue what else is on there but with a sprinkle of salt and cinnamon it should be yums! and to see my opinion on recipes, check out my recipes page ;)

Linz @ Itz Linz February 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I’m soooo not confident when cooking fish – add that to the list of reasons why you should come visit me!! hehe

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

that salmon sounds delicious!! I hope to make it soon!

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits February 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

That stuffed sweet potato looks awesome!!

Anna @ Your Healthy Place February 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Yummy I love the look of that bread! You’ve been busy in the kitchen! That chef isn’t bad looking either ;)

Caitlin February 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Oh this salmon looks so good!!! And you’re right, who needs to follow a recipe to a tee? After all, no one knows what you’ll like better than YOU so if you see a chance to tweak something while making it, I say go for it!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish February 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Sis! I LOVE the idea of encrusting salmon with nori! I’ve used sesame seeds before, but I’m sure that combining the two makes one huge flavor bang. :) Can’t wait to try this. I’ve been on a major salmon kick lately (although, when am I *not* on a salmon kick?), so I think this will happen sooner rather than later.

I’m constantly inspired by other bloggers, too! Rarely do I follow a specific recipe, but I’m grateful for all the creative ideas floating around out there, because they’ve led to some pretty fantastic meals!

Happy Wednesday, love!! <3 xoxoxoxo

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Are those blueberries in that sweet potato? That sounds so interesting!

BroccoliHut February 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I LOVE making fish at home. I usually make it in the oven like you, but recently I’ve been having fun with preparing it in my grill pan. Makes me long for summer though…

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables February 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Sis… I want that salmon!! I have never done it in the oven before. I’m so making this!

Health, Love, and Chocolate February 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I do exactly the same thing! When I see a recipe that I think I would like I very vaguely follow it but end up creating something entirely new inspired by the recipe. I do love being able to just browse blogs or scroll through my Instagram feed for inspiration though!

GOtheXtraMile February 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Omg yuuuuummmm cook for me!! <3

Amanda February 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

hey Meg! I noticed you eat a lot of fish (I do too! probably about 300g a day). Do you ever worry about mercury poisoning? I’m a vegetarian and can’t eat meat, but love fish as my primary source of protein. Do you think I should be concerned?