OHEA Conference 2013

by Meg on March 25, 2013

Today has been such a weird day weather wise! This morning it was snowing and the winds were blowing ferociously, but now it’s like a perfect spring day! The snow is melting, the sun is shining, and the birds are chirping! Absolutely beautiful!

I sure hope this weather is here to stay! :)

I also hope that you’re ready to learn more about OHEA and the conference I attended on Saturday as I will be giving a more in depth recap about it in today’s post!

OHEA stands for Ontario Home Economics Association. This amazing association is a self-regulating body of Professional Home Economists and I’ve been lucky to have the opportunity to attend their annual conference for the past 3 years! :)

Each conference has a theme and this year’s theme was “Be a Winner in Challenging Times”

The keynote speaker was Perditia Felicien, and Olympian and World Champion hurdler, who spoke about the 4 Pillars of Success:

1. Don’t let your darkest hour define you

2. Excellence begets excellence

3. Fake it until you make it

4. Feed your soul

Each pillar Perdita mentioned really spoke to me. The third pillar is a message my Mom has told me since I was young, but the other three were somewhat new to me. The first pillar in particular spoke to me the most, but I also love pillars two and four, as well. I wrote down a quote from Perdita when she spoke about the second pillar:

“Surround yourself with people who are a reflection of who you are.”

After Perdita spoke, Ellen Pruden spoke about “Live Well, Eat Well, and Be Well” which means to live a passionate life through healthy living, personal growth, and partnership. Ellen spoke at the conference in 2012 and I thoroughly enjoyed her then, so I was so happy to hear her speak again!

The third speaker was Dr. Alison Novak. She spoke about the research she does in order to help elders stay in their homes longer. Some of the research she does includes identifying the proper length of stairs to prevent falling as well as the proper type of hand rails to install in homes for increased safety.

The best part of her presentation was the clip from The Rick Mercer Report she showed us in which she appeared!

Other impressive speakers and topics include Jason Chennette who spoke about how to take advantage of occasions, trends, and opportunities to promote and market yourself successfully. I found his speech really interesting and think I could apply his messages to my blog and other articles I write.

Allison Jorgens really inspired me as she is a Professional Home Economist and author. She spoke about how to protect yourself from misleading food labels. The take home messages I got from her speech were:

- knowing the difference between “lightly sweetened” and “less sugar than…”
When you see these terms on food labels, keep in mind that “lightly sweetened” is not a regulated term and can still contain quite a bit of sugar.

- knowing the difference between “high in fibre” and “has x grams of whole grains”
High in fibre is a regulated term whereas if a food label states that the product has 9 grams of whole grains per serving for an example, it may be very low in fibre still. So, keep that in mind – “made with whole grains” does not necessarily mean high in fibre :) I recently noticed that while snacking on these. They are “made with whole grains”, but have very little fibre.

Not only were we given tips on reading food labels, but we were also given tips of how to dress for success! Karen Brunger taught us how to create a winning image by utilizing our wardrobe, jewellery, and makeup appropriately. Apparently the narrower the briefcase you use means the more important you are!?

And last, but not least… we learnt about gas! We were told that:

- women typically grow out of the “farts are funny” stage, but men continue thinking farts are funny right up until they’re 80 years old. Personally, I still laugh out loud every time I hear a fart ;)

- 3 bowel movements a day means you’re healthy

- farting 10 – 15 times per day is normal

As you can see, the conference offered a wide variety of information as the profession of a Professional Home Economist is very diverse!

I believe this is the first time I’ve mentioned the term “Professional Home Economist” in a while, so I think I should write a post informing you more about the term, profession, and what it means to me :) That’ll come later this week…

Overall, I absolutely loved the conference and plan on attending yet again next year and the year after that and the year after that and who knows… maybe one of these years I will be a presenter! :)

Interested in reading more about OHEA? Check out the recap post I wrote about the 2012 conference which I attended last year! It was fun looking back a year from now :)

See you tomorrow!

Kim Perry March 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Wow! Sounds like a great conference & you took a lot away from it!
I love the 4 pillars of success, they are great reminders!

Meg March 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I loved those too!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

farting still makes me laugh too lol the worst is when one of my students does it and i need to maintain professionalism while they’re cracking up!!

Meg March 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

BAHAHAHAHA! Omg if I was a teacher I wouldn’t be able to contain myself either

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Sounds informative and fun! What a great range of usable knowledge you’ve gained!

Haley @ fullnfit March 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I highly agree with the women growing out of thinking farts are funny & that men pretty much never stop! But THREE bowel movements a day?! Wowza–that’s a lot!! I am fairly regular but not three times! Hehe :) tmi!??

Meg March 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

That’s what I thought, too! I can’t remember everrrr going three times lol

Lucie March 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Thank you for sharing this, vety interesting! I love the first pillar especially!!

Melissa March 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Did any of your school mates go this year?

Meg March 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit March 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

This is some fascinating knowledge, thanks for sharing! I like the pillars, especially the 3rd one, it goes right along with believing you can do something. “Act as if and you will become”. Great things for a Monday Meg :)

Emily March 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

LOL! I was getting a kick out of your tweets during the conference- especially the ones about farting. I guess I’ll never grow up either because I still find them pretty funny!
It sounds like it was an amazing time!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate March 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

This sounds like such an interesting/informative conference and I definitely wish there was something similar near me!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 26, 2013 at 6:53 AM

3 Bowel movements a day is healthy? Funnily enough I’m reading Jillian Michael’s new book Slim for Life and she spoke about this fact exactly saying that it is still more than healthy not to have that many, if I hadn’t read that I may have freaked out when I read that part of your post :)

The food labels one is huge and I think in the US you have a lot less regulation than what we have on it in Australia but there are still lots of things manufacturers across the board can get away with and it is hard with some labels not to be deceived.

Glad you enjoyed the conference they definitely covered a lot and seemed like it was very interesting. Thanks as always for sharing! :)

IHeartVegetables March 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Sounds like an interesting conference! I took a Food Science class in college and I was AMAZED at how much food marketers can say, without it being regulated!

Brandi March 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Thanks for the recap! Sounds like it was very informative :) The whole farting thing cracks me up and I’m glad to know it’s normal!! :)

Miss Polkadot March 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thanks for sharing some more info about the conference! It definitely seems worth attending and it’s great your college offers you the opportunity every year.
The topics sound like a great mix of fun and more serious ones. Especially the Pillars for success ring true for me, too. It’s easy to let dark moments get you down which is why I’ve made the third pillar a life motto of mine: There’ll always be light again as long as I believe it :).

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Wow. What a diverse group of professionals, and I find them all so fascinating! I wish I could have come. :) [I also wish my intestines would currently act normal....but you know, TMI in the comment box.]

Meg March 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I wish you were with me too love bug :D

the TMI stuff can stay in our emails??? ;) LOL!