Be Your Authentic Self

by Meg on March 26, 2013

Well if that wasn’t the sweatiest hot yoga class I’ve ever been to, I don’t know what was!

I absolutely loved it, though. I haven’t been to yoga in a while, so I tried a new class today and fell in love. I really missed yoga these past few weeks, but I think I’ve been bit by the yoga bug again and I definitely don’t want to fall off the yoga train any time soon.

It makes me feel so good and I always leave feeling so empowered and inspired after each time I practice, so I can’t think of any reasons not to make yoga a habit!

A few things made this class different from any I’ve attended in the past:

- we began the practice without any music. My friend actually told me that there would be absolutely no music, but after about 15 minutes into the class the teacher turned the music on.

- the instructor was male

- the room was hot hot hot! I’ve taken hot yoga before, but this was over the top hot, but I actually enjoyed it the best out of all hot yoga classes I’ve attended.

- the teacher talked a lot at the end of class and gave us something to think about, which inspired this entire post…

Near the end of class, the teacher shared the following quote:

“Yoga is the practice of tolerating the consequences of being your true self”

which led him to speaking about being your authentic self and how important that is.

I thought it was really interesting that he brought this up because right before I attended the yoga class, I received an email from my Mom giving me advice before going into a meeting saying “just be you and they will love you!”

On the drive home after yoga I couldn’t help but think about the message from the yoga instructor and my Mom.

Have I been my authentic self today?

Am I being true to myself?

I couldn’t think of one point throughout the day today when I was not myself, so my answer was yes to the above questions I asked myself.

I’m definitely noticing that I’m feeling more and more confident being myself each and every day. I’m not holding back and I’m not afraid to take opportunities that will make me happy.

As most of you know, I’ve completed a 21 day Intuitive Eating Challenge this month. Through this challenge I’ve been able to learn a lot about myself and become more in tune with myself than ever before in my life. I’ve managed to discover things about myself that allow me to connect with myself on a much deeper level.

But, I’ve also discovered things about myself before the Intuitive Eating Challenge that I was a bit hesitant to own. What I mean by this is, I’ve discovered things about myself and things that I need to do in order to be my authentic self; however, I was having a difficult time being proud of these things.

But, that’s not being true to my authentic self, so my feelings have shifted.

I’m going to start being proud of everything that makes me me and not hesitate to tell people my decisions, wants, needs, and dreams.

So, be prepared for some posts in the near future about what my future entails, dreams I have, and some current plans I have for myself.

Have a great day everyone and don’t forget to be your authentic self!

Have you been your authentic self today?

Has there been a moment today where you have hid your authentic self?

Have you made any important self discoveries lately?

Love you,

Picky Nicky March 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

haha i love hot yoga! And everytime i go I think to myself “man I should do this more often!”

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

HAHA ME TOO!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I both love and hate hot yoga at the same time. I always feel good afterwards but there are usually moments during the class when I’m like why on earth am I doing this? :)

Looking forward to more of your authentic self posts :)

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Aw I am so happy you’re looking forward to more :D

Katie @ Live Half Full March 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This is my favorite part about yoga. I’m excited to hear about what else you learn!

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I’m so happy you’re excited :)

Nancy March 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Love that picture of you – so cute. I’ve never been to a hot yoga class before, I think I’d like it. I love being overheated lol

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I would love to go with you :D

Allison @ Train Eat Repeat March 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM

i have never been to a yoga studio, let alone hot yoga, might be worth a try one day!

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I think so girl! :D Maybe we can go together ;)

Allison @ Train Eat Repeat March 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Well if you are ever in Saskatoon, just let me know!!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Love that quote, love this post, love YOU and so excited to hear more!!

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Ohhhhh babyyyyyyy I am so blessed to have you in my life <3 thank you for loving me :) I love you too

Ellie March 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I have been working on staying present and focusing on what I am doing whether it’s work, running, reading, napping. I want to be able to do one thing at a time successfully. I used to distract myself from my anxiety over things as a way to overcome them. As a result, sometimes I cannot do one single thing at a time. Accepting what I am doing at present and not worrying about what I will be doing or how many other things I can do at once has made my life so much more peaceful! Feels great right?!

purelytwins March 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

hottie!!!
love the shirt too!
yay for yoga, we were actually talking the other day about trying some yoga classes again here soon. we miss that yoga energy from going to a studio ;)

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

HAHA! Hottie!? I was dripping with sweat! ;) Oh silly, sisters <3

Would love to do yoga with you some day!

Mary @ Fit and Fed March 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

As I’ve gotten older (I am 50) it is ever easier to be my authentic self, I am more accepting of who I am and it’s too much work to try to be anything else! I have done hot yoga a couple of times and do not like it. First of all I am used to exercising in a cold ice rink and dislike getting hot and sweaty. More importantly my ego can get out of hand trying to copy the teacher in unwise ways. Yoga should be about honoring where your body is right now, not trying to show you can be as flexible or strong as the teacher or as others (things I can fall prey to!). Sounds like your yoga teacher may have had been encouraging this kind of true yoga.

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I think so, too! He was a great teacher!

Mary @ Fit and Fed March 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

that was meant to be ‘may have been….” please fix.

IHeartVegetables March 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Right now, I’m chillin with no make up on, haha. So does that count? ;)

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Definitely ;) lol you’re cute

Caitlin March 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Yoga is so so great!! I know what you mean about falling off the yoga train… (kinda like how I am now) but once I go, its a like an “aha” moment :) something ive been missing!

Meg March 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

YES!!! Every time I go I have an “aha” moment :)

Hannah R. March 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I love hot yoga! Haven’t done it in awhile though:(
Anyway, I loved this post, Meg. This is one thing I try to do everyday! Just be me. It hasn’t always been easy but I think it gets easier the more we get to know and trust ourselves! Looking forward to hearing more!

Meg March 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Thanks :D <3

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I don’t even know where to begin! I will say that I try, always, to be my authentic self, and that if I find myself NOT being true to me, then I definitely start to work towards how to change things. It’s sometimes hard to know who your authentic self is, and I think one of the greatest compliments I could ever receive is “You are so undeniably you.”

Meg March 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM

So true!!

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles April 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Your yoga instructor’s quote reminds me of what one of my instructor’s told one of my classes: Advanced yoga is advanced awareness, not advanced poses. I love that yoga encourages each student to explore their own individual practice and to practice radical self acceptance – not that this is any easy feat, but it’s such a healthy endeavor for everyone to pursue :)

Glad you had such an enlightening experience :)