April Goals & MMAZ

by Meg on April 1, 2013

April is here! :)

This particular month always excites me. It reminds me of newness and freshness! Can anyone relate?

Due to this feeling, I felt the urge to create some goals for myself to accomplish/work on over the month. In March, I only set one goal for myself, to be the best me I could be! I loved focusing just on that one goal, but adding a few more goals to that list for April excites me and I think I’m up for the challenge, so here they are:

Power down 1 hour before bed

I’ve already put this goal into practice and it has had a great affect on my sleeping! At least one hour before I go to bed I don’t allow myself to be on my computer, roaming Instagram on my phone, etc.

Prioritize my time for efficiently

I notice I waste a lot of my time doing nothing. I’ll have a big long list on jobs to do some days, but by the end of the day I feel like I’ve accomplished nothing. I think I have a daydreaming problem or something? Anyways, after realizing this daydreaming habit of mine, I’ve been more mindful of my time and the tasks I have to accomplish and I’ve really impressed myself! I actually can get a lot done in a single day!

Organize my Pinterest boards

I love Pinterest, but I get so overwhelmed every time I log on because my boards really have no sense of organization. I have a huge “Recipe” board that keeps growing, but I would like to break this board into smaller categories, so it will be easier to navigate the recipes I’ve pinned.

Use pins

This kind of relates to the goal from above. As I said, my Pinterest boards keep growing, yet I keep failing to “use” them. For an example, I can’t remember the last time I made a recipe I pinned.

Make at least one new recipe a week

The last time I tried a new recipe was when I made Brittany’s Kale and Feta Crustless Quiche. I really liked the challenge of making a new recipe, so this month I will try to make at least one new recipe a week (this will also help me achieve the goal above!)

Participate in MMAZ

The wonderful Heather launched the second round of MMAZ and I am determined to take part each week!

This week our ingredient to use was avocado, so my contribution is this beautiful (and delicious!) Crispy Kale Omelette with Avocado Goat Cheese Crumble. Recipe below!

Update blog pages

As I read through my blog pages the other day (About Me, HFF, Food, Fitness, etc.) I realized some updating needs to happen!

Save money

I’ve been watching my spending more closely lately, but haven’t actually “challenged” myself to anything specific, but then my sweet girl Emily created the “Makin’ Bank Challenge” and I had to join in on the fun! You can read more about the challenge here and join in if you’d like to :)

Read and comment on more blogs

This is a very important goal to me. There’s nothing I dislike more than becoming too busy with school, life, etc. to not comment let alone not read my favourite blogs! Last week, as I prioritized my time better, I was able to read and comment more and I loved it! It made me feel good to give back to my readers. I always feel so sad when life gets to crazy and I miss out on my friends’ posts!

I think that’s a good amount of goals for myself to keep in mind this month, so now it’s recipe time! :)

But first, a story…

You see, there’s a funny story behind this recipe. Rather, this particular week of MMAZ

Early on last week I created my own avocado recipe!

Definitely not as pretty as the omelette recipe I’m about to share below, but trust me – it was delicious! Despite it’s deliciousness, some people may think it’s strange. Like #strangebutgood for an example ;)

So, when my boyfriend created this omelette on the weekend…

I thought I’d share his recipe for MMAZ and mine for Laura’s #strangebutgood round up.

So, there you go! You have two recipes coming at you this week! Both of which contain avocado and who doesn’t love avocado ;)

Avocado is definitely one of my all time favourite foods, but when my boyfriend mixed it with goat cheese as a topping for his crispy kale omelette is was immediately in foodie heaven :)

Crispy Kale Omelette with Avocado Goat Cheese Crumble

Serves two

Ingredients:

Omelette:

6 whole eggs

1 handful kale, ripped

5 sundried tomatoes, sliced

pepper

garlic powder

olive oil

Avocado Goat Cheese Crumble:

2 TBSP avocado

2 TBSP goat cheese

Directions:

For the omelette, heat oil in a pan (approximately 1 tsp) and allow to get hot. Toss kale in when oil is heated. Allow kale to crispen in pan.

Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a bowl with tomatoes and spices.

Add to pan and cook.

While your omelette is cooking, combine avocado and goat cheese in a bowl. Mix the two ingredients together by crumbling with your fingers or mixing with a fork or spoon. This forms your “crumble” for on top of your omelette.

Once omelette is almost cooked through, flip and finish cooking the other side.

Once omelette is fully cooked, transfer to a plate, slice in half and serve with crumble sprinkled on top.

Enjoy!

Don’t forget to check out Heather’s blog for more MMAZ recipes using avocado! :)

BWV-Round2-April_thumb

Do you like avocado?

Did you create goals for this month?

Love,

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots April 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I definitely need to power down an hour before bed. My fiance says I spend too much time on my phone which can be true, I need to start giving twitter and instagram a rest when I get home. I definitely need to buckle down on saving money since we now have a wedding to plan for!

Meg April 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

You’ll notice such a POSITIVE difference after powering down :)

Becki @ Fighting for Wellness April 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yum!!!! Both recipes look delicious to me!

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating April 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I think I’ll try to create a new recipe every week this summer, too (just not now, since I’m crazy busy with school). Powering off an hour before bed is going to be impossible for me, I think, but prioritizing my time and actually getting stuff done is something I def need to work on!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I am trying to do the same thing befor ebed! I got in bed to read last night and actually was asleep before midnight! Craziness. :)

Love this recipe… but you know I love chocolate so I REALLY can’t wait for the #strangebutgood recipe. Hee hee.

Tiff April 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I like the idea of powering off before bed. I need to do that. Speaking of to-dos, I also need to save some money. Def failed on that last month. Whoops!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I love avocado but don’t have it as often as I should.

Goals this month are to try more new recipes. I’ve seen so many I’ve wanted to try but made none of them yet. I also want to try and increase my running distance. I’m also thinking if doing some daily meditation.

I can totally relate to pinning lots of pins but not actually using them :)

Kierston @candyfit April 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Love avocado! This recipe sounds delish1

Love the goals :)

xo

Krista Nile April 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I totally agree that something about April is refreshing!

I love avocado but sadly I don’t use it as much as I’d like to. I think I’ll try both of your recipes this week!

I love your goals and how positive they are! I am going to try powering down an hour before bed too! I feel like I’m constantly on my phone…especially right before I go to sleep which isn’t a good habit.

Have a great week Meg!!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Let me know if you try the recipes :D xo

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes April 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have been trying to unwind an hour before bed as well, it is very helpful! The omelette looks great.

Devan April 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Love this post :-)
I think the month of April I want to join you in your winding down an hour before bed, and also trying a new recipe at least once per month ! ( I am terrible, and stick to one thing ALL the time)
I am always going to try & kick my ketchup obsession. hahaha
Your avocado toast looks really yummy & interesting!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Let me know if you try the avocado toast honey :D

Lisa April 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

These look like great goals!
Proud of you!! And I miss you a ton!
I may be heading to the Ontario region in the next few months, let’s hope that happens.
I’ve been failing on my pinterest board too haha, I should take the challenge to step it up a tad.

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Well tell me if you come to Ontario :D we will plan something, but we’ll chat this coming week?

Lisa April 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Will do:) Yes, text me when you’re free!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Happy Monday Meg! I 100% agree with you about April feeling “refreshing”, it has to be the change in weather, I do enjoy saying “goodbye” to Winter! Your goals are very motivating, I need to bring back the powering-down at night, it’s so nice to be in the moment while at home & not paying attention to a phone, iPad or laptop. And I LOVE avocado, delish in so many dishes ;) ps. A life without avocado is not a life worth living!

sloanepitman April 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

LOVE THIS!!!
I need to organize my pins and stuff too…I currently have 4 boards but over 2000 pins! WHAT?! I’m tempted to just delete my account and start again. Your goals sound amazing, and I’m so sure that you will do well in all of them. Your recipes sound AMAZING too! I totally want to try that omelette. Love you babyyy!!!!!!
xoxoxoXOXO

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Aw honey I love you so much :) Thanks for the comment <3 I feel terrible not commenting on your blog in a while. I have just been swamped and so busy getting things ready for grad! I LOVE U

Cassie @RedLetterDaye April 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I made mini quiche yesterday and I think sundried tomatoes made them outstanding. Definitely a quiche must.

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

AGREED :D

Emily April 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

YAY! Thanks for including my Makin’ Bank Challenge! I’m so excited about it (although I’m already having shopping withdrawals and it’s only April 1st!)
Good luck with all of your goals this month- I know you’re going to rock ‘em!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

HAHA oh girl, we have to have a chat about this goal!!!!!!!! I’m doing OK, but not awesome

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Wow, girl! So many of your goals could fit into my life as well! I’m right there with ya on Pinterest, my about me page hasn’t been updated since I STARTED my blog, and again, I have fallen sooooo behind in my blog reading! Definitely need to do a little spring cleaning/organizing as far as my little corner of the internet goes…it’s so easy to just get overwhelmed by it, give up, and walk away! Lol

Love the idea of goat cheese AND avocado together in an omelette! Yum! And I think I know what that #strangebutgood good concoction is! Mmmmm!

Hope you’re having a terrific Monday gorgeous!!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM

It is easy to get overwhelmed and walk away! There’s also so much more to life than the internet :D As you can see I’ve had a busy bee of a week since I’m JUST replying to this comment from Monday now ;)

Linz @ Itz Linz April 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

i looooove avocado!! :) :) through best body bootcamp, i have set a goal to drink more water. i’ve been really bad about that lately!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Omg me too!? Not sure why!?

peaceloveandoats April 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That omelet looks amazing, I LOVE sun dried tomatoes! And what great goals! I also need to work on “powering down” before bed, probably shouldn’t sleep with my phone by my face…

Sarah April 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes and avocados are 3 of my favorite foods! I am totally making this! THANK YOU to you (and the bf) for sharing this delicious recipe! I agree with you on powering down before bed. I need to start that habit as well. I feel like I am always plugged in until the last second. I started organizing my time better over the last few weeks and it’s amazing how much more you can get done! Have an awesome Monday night Meg!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I hope you try the recipe :D

Allison @ Train Eat Repeat April 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I really only like avocado in guacamole!
as for goals, I’ve been poor at setting and achieving lately… just been so busy just doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day! But I plan to finish 1 of 2 certifications this month, and then another month will be 2 of 2!!

Brittany@twosaucysisters April 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Julie and I are also going to try to participate more in MMAZ! We missed it this week (oops…) but we’re going to try for next week! Great goals, Meg, I know you’re going to nail every single one of ‘em :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Mmmmm . . . just had a bunch of avocado with some of my hard boiled (Easter) eggs on top of a big salad for lunch today. Delicious! Love the idea of combining goat cheese and avocado . . . two fantastic foods, for sure! :)

Haley @ fullnfit April 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Who doesn’t love avocados? Who doesn’t love chocolate? I’m excited for this one…

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body April 1, 2013 at 9:05 PM

These are such great goals! I usually try and only make 4 goals a month otherwise I get too overwhelmed, but that is great that you can handle a full load of them! I wish I liked avocado, but so far have never fully enjoyed it. This recipe does sound great though, maybe I will give it a go! :)

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I hope you do ;) It’s toned down with the cheese :D

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I have to say – I LOVE your April goals. I may steal some for myself to work on over the next few months. :) And your recipe is so fun, I’m so glad you’re back and I love that you’re hoping to participate in all 26 recipes this round!!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I reeeeeally hope I do too :D I’m doing some more avocado recipes tonight :D

purelytwins April 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Prioritize my time for efficiently —> that is something we need to work on! plus we wish to try to read and comment more too, it is hard as time always seems to go by so fast!
xo

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! April 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

That omelette looks amazing! Goat cheese and avocado are two of my favorite ingredients. I had avocado on my lunch and dinner salad today! MMMM MMM Good. Two of my goals for April are to do 25 pushups every day to work on my form and I’m doing a 30 days of clean eating chalenge! Good luck on your goals!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Good luck to you too :D

Mary @ Fit and Fed April 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I can relate to a lot of your goals! I too need to power down before bed. My husband is so good at this. He usually takes a walk before bed. That needs to be my cue to start winding down, too. We have been stretching and doing yoga together before bed more often and it’s great!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

That sounds so nice! :D

Julie April 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I keep telling myself to power down before bed, but I just fall asleep with my computer on! I haven’t made anything on my Pinterest boards lately either.

Allison @ Life's a Bowl April 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m with ya on the Pinterest and blog updates – those are on my agenda too :) I definitely will feel refreshed once things are a bit more in working order!

Suvi April 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Looks like a great list of goals! I definitely have daydreaming problem! I need to start to be more mindful about how I spend my days. I feel the same what you said about having a long list of things to do, but by the end of the day I haven’t accomplished even a half of them…So one goal of mine in April is to be more productive. Another one is to get more sleep! I bet the “Power down 1 hour before bed” would help in that one. ;)

That omelette looks amazing by the way!

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian April 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Hi, I just found your blog via Heather’s MMAZ. I wish my boyfriend would cook omelettes for me! Avocado with goats cheese is a great combination. Looks fantastic!

Meg April 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Thanks for commenting, Lisa :) It means a lot to me <3 I love meeting new friends through blogging :) <3

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Love your goals! I need to make some of my own…and many are similar to yours. (Except I don’t understand, and probably never will be able to use, Pinterest!)

Is that a sweet avocado toast snack I spy?!?!?!