WIAW: Honouring Your Cravings

by Meg on April 17, 2013

I’ve written about how important it is to honour your cravings before, but, as you know, I could elaborate on any topic regarding Intuitive Eating, so let me ramble on…

I’ll ramble on by making this a What I Ate Wednesday post and take you through a day when I had to take a big step out of my comfort zone to honour the cravings I was having.

WIAWbutton

I’ve really been enjoying bread lately. I have to say it’s always been a favourite food of mine. Anything from the freshly baked bread my Dad makes in our bread maker to a loaf bought in the freezer section at the grocery store. I just love bread.

Lately, I’ve been buying Silver Hills Bakery breads. I’ve tried their Little Big Bread, Steady Eddie, and Macks Flax so far. I’ve loved them all, but as of right now Macks Flax is my favourite. There’s a lot more to it than Little Big Bread and crunchier and more flavourful than Steady Eddie because of the flaxseeds.

Silver_Hills_Macks_Flax_Sprouted_Bread_Large

For breakfast I love having two slices of Macks Flax under two dippy eggs.

There’s just something about eggs on toast that makes me a very happy girl in the morning!

And apparently on this particular day, bread itself was making me happier than most days…

After eating breakfast shortly after I woke up around 7:30, I needed a snack midmorning. It definitely didn’t take long for me to figure out what I wanted for my midmorning munch – more bread! I just couldn’t shake the craving! And why should I? Clearly my body was trying to tell me something, right? For some reason or another my body was begging me for more nutrients coming from the bread.

So instead of restricting myself to an old rule of “only one meal with bread per day”, I honoured my cravings because restricting and food rules do not belong in a life of intuitive eating.

My midmorning snack was two slices of homemade Chickpea Avocado Quick Bread which held me over until lunch when I had a “clean out the fridge” sort of lunch, which actually turned out tasting pretty great! I heated some olive oil in a pan along with spaghetti squash, tomatoes, baby kale, and tons of garlic until heated through. Then I added more garlic (can never get enough ;) ), left over ground turkey, a few sprinkles of different spices, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast.

One of the many things I love about intuitive eating is the ability to throw together a meal like this. Back when I was weighing, measuring, and keeping track of everything I ate on MyFitnessPal, I would never have been able to put together a lunch like this for myself. I know the meal shown and described above seems so simple, but it was a huge success for me and the feeling of just “throwing things into a pan” or on my plate never gets old.

I love being freed of a meal plan.

After lunch, my afternoon was busy with running errands with my boyfriend. We were out and about all afternoon and eventually my stomach started to say “Meg I need food!” Luckily, I always have a Quest bar on hand (ok, you caught me… I carry about five with me at all times), so I reached into my purse and pulled out a favourite of mine, Mixed Berry Bliss.

Unfortunately, the bar didn’t hold me over too long and not too long after my body was asking me for food again. My boyfriend and I were still running errands and I didn’t know what time we’d be home. As much as I don’t like relying too heavily on protein bars, I had another Quest Bar. This time I had the Vanilla Almond Crunch flavour.

In a situation like I was in you just have to do your best. You have to honour your hunger cues as best as possible, but you may not always be able to satisfy your cravings. If I were at home I would have put more thought into my first snack and probably would have made it larger, so I would have been satisfied until dinner time; however, life isn’t perfect nor is intuitive eating perfect either.

I did my best in this situation by giving my body food when it asked for it even though it may not have been what I was craving, but it was the only thing I had on hand while running errands.

The important thing about intuitive eating (and life in general for that matter) is to focus on the good and not strive for perfection. No day of eating intuitively is going to be perfect nor is it going to be the same as the previous day.

Your body has different needs each and every day, you just simply have to learn to pay attention to those needs and honour them.

You can’t judge yourself nor should you compare one day to the next as I said, each day your body will require something different, a different ratio of fats, proteins, and carbs, a different amount of calories, etc. which is why I could never go back to a meal plan because when meal planning and trying to adhere to an x amount of protein, fats, and carbs each day I wouldn’t allow variance. I wouldn’t allow it to change day by day. Instead, I was stuck in the mindset that my body needed x each and every day no matter what. Well, that’s not how our body’s work. Our needs change.

Now that I’ve been freed from eating intuitively, I am much more aware that my body actually does have cravings (despite what I thought when following a meal plan only a few short months ago) and I’m doing my best to honour those cravings (ie. the four slices of bread on this particular day).

This day ended on a high note of a home cooked meal made for me by my boyfriend, a spicy chicken stir fry, and watching the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Montreal Canadiens 5 – 1 ;)

My boyfriend and I are getting to be pretty big Maple Leafs fans! We’re even buying lottery tickets to place bets! Hopefully we’ll win something one of these days ;)

See you tomorrow!

Remember not to compare yourself to myself or others. My daily intake will be different from yours. Do what works for you and treat your body well <3

What’s your favourite type of bread?

Is there a type of snack that you keep in your purse at all times?

What’s the best thing you’ve ate lately?

p.s. please don’t forget about High Five Friday! Email me your high fives before Thursday evening! :)

p.p.s. don’t forget about the YogaOutlet giveaway! You can win yourself a $50.00 gift card! :)

Ellie April 17, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I LOVE bread and bagels! Because I am limited in my cooking and I don’t have an oven, I eat MANY sandwiches. I used to be afraid of bread too…I’m not sure what changed, but now I don’t hesitate. You call it intuitive eating, I call it growing up and stopping the foolishness of rules :) GO US! VIVE LA BREAD!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Hahahaha foolish rules! Love it! Hate them ;)

IHeartVegetables April 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I really like the Ezekiel flax bread! I’ve been keeping a loaf of that on hand in my freezer!

Good job looking out for your cravings!

Kristin April 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ezekiel sprouted grain bread is too.die.for! It’s so thick and tasty!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I have only had the original Ezekiel before! I’ll have to try the flax

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating April 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM

A one-meal-with-bread rule would definitely *not* fly with me – I love bread! Maybe because I’m part German and Germans are obsessed with bread (and make the best bread ever)? Quest bars are also a total win, though :) I’ve enjoyed some Quest bars, myself lately, and they’re up there with random ice cream sundae creations, kabocha with chocolate and nuts, crispy apples, and yogurt granola bowls as some of the best things I’ve eaten lately – and green smoothies, since it’s getting warmer!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

All your snacks sound amazing!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Best thing I ate was mexican food on Sunday night with my bf for my birthday at a really good local restaurant.

I used to keep muesli bars in my purse but I’ve not done that in a while but I should keep doing it as I’ve been caught out before without a good snack on hand.

Your dippy eggs looked good!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Mmmmm local restaurants are the best!!!!!!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM

i definitely like breads that have lots of grains and seeds in them! i def always carry bars with me!!

Heather @ esmoothies April 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I think ‘intuitive eating’ is the key to long term health and you’re doing a great job. I would love to try that flax bread but I have never seen it around here. I always buy a variety of Arnold 100% whole grain bread. You can find that everywhere and the pieces are really big! :)

I haven’t found a bar that wasn’t sweet so I just carry around a little bag of homemade trail mix. Sunflower seeds, almonds, cereal or granola, and raisins.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Those are all great snacks! :D

Lindsey April 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I eat the same brand of bread and love it!
I always keep almonds or protein bars in my purse for quick and easy snacks.
My wrap at lunch yesterday with a leftover turkey burger, avocado, spinach and homemade cranberry sauce.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

isn’t cranberry sauce in a wrap/sandwich the best!?

Melody April 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Great post! I’ve been work on this, really listening to what my body is saying. Especially at night when normally I would be looking for sugar- because I’ve skimped all day on it or foods I enjoy. It funny how back when we would have this food plans and food rules (at least in my head) they were set up to make eating easy but it was the opposite! Being prepare I think is til important. Having a snack while I’m out so in case I get hungry, but the thought of not being nervous about going out with friends or eating at other peoples houses is wonderful!
PLUS! who doesn’t love a nice slice of bread!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

congrats to you for listening to your body :D

Lucie April 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Such great progress! Bread is one of the best foods in the world, hands down. I love any dark-seedy-fluffy bread with a good crust! :-)
I always have nuts with me, sometimes a fruit or a bar – QUESTBAR! :-)

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

nuts are amazing to have on hand!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bread is my favorite too….pretty much any kind and I’ll take it! Your lunch looks delish!

*Andrea* April 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

you have so many wonderful insights about your truths! i love this. it’s so freeing to just eat according to your body’s hunger cues, just like you would listen to your body for other physical needs (sleep, breathing, movement,.. even going to the bathroom! lol). I’m working on this too. thanks for the motivation!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

always :) <3

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Bagels are one of my all time favorite foods! In high school I would eat a brueggers herby turkey bagel at least twice a week.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

mmmm bagels! I need to buy an everything bagel! i love those

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Today I’m setting out to eat intuitively in terms of “eat when I’m hungry, and stop when I’m full.” It’ll be such a change because I’m so used to rigorous meal planning and I need to eat x at x time, but I’m excited!

My go-to snack is usually some kind of fruit–a banana, apple, etc. Or Larabars. I’m in love with them.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’ve never had a larabar! that needs to change! good luck with IE :) i’m here if you need support <3

Emily April 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I’m so proud of you, girl! Isn’t freedom an amazing thing?? It allows us to stop worrying about the things that don’t matter and just enjoy life.
And you know I’m ALL about bread. Seriously- it’s my obsession! haha. That’s why I could never follow the paleo diet…I would not be a happy camper without carbs! Your dad’s homemade bread sounds amazing- JEALOUS!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

ohhhh and i haven’t had it in soooo long! I should invest in a bread maker!

GiGi Eats Celebrities April 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I haven’t eaten bread in ten years but when I used to – I would ADORE hot dog and hamburger buns – LOL – clearly I was NOT healthy back when I ate bread. I LOVE DIPPY EGGS too – soo soo much EXCEPT… I am not allowed to eat eggs anymore! :( My doctor told me my body cannot process them. Which is weird because I don’t feel bad when I eat them, I just get EXTREMELY tired about 2 days later. Ugh, my body cannot process any food anymore – lol. What did I eat Wednesday? NOTHING – because I can’t! LOL!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Oh no :(

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Very well said, m’dear. The concept of your body having different needs on different days is SO true, and something that is difficult to get over when you are used to eating the same thing every single day. I’ve made the most progress with this at breakfast time, but snacks and other meals are definitely starting to be guided more by what I think or feel I need on that particular day. Sometimes it IS hard, because I think, “Oh, I just ate so many nuts, do I really need more?” or something along those lines, but when you think about how your activities change every day, so, too should your food!

I always have a bar of some sort in my bag. Right now it is usually a Simply Bar because I have so many of them in my pantry. :)

You and Heather make the most perfect eggs. I am pretty good with poached, but my over easy dippiness needs a LOT of work.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Oh, and just throwing everything in a pan without measuring? Heaven, right? ;)

[So much to say today!!!]

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I love your long comments :D LOVE YOU

Hayley @ Running on Pumpki April 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM

This is a great post and I love the part about how much our needs change day-to-day. Some days I probably eat double what I ate the day before, which is something I NEVER would’ve used to allow myself to do but now it’s really just a normal thing. No day is the same in most ways, so why would our hunger be? I love bread too and could never ever do the no carb thing. I love a thick slice of honey oat bread from my favorite local bakery :)

Jo @ LivingMintGreen April 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I’m obsessed with this bread at a local french restaurant that has cumin seeds in it – served with a big slab of butter. Mmmm. BUTTER <3 <3 <3 <3
Store bought – Ezekiel or Silver Hills garlic & herb bagels.

I keep raw nuts/seeds, a Simply bar and fruit (like an orange or banana) with me in case of food emergencies. I keep a stash of tea with me too!! Hahaha

I've ate so many great things today that it's hard to narrow them down, but probably a pink grapefruit + macadamia nuts.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Herb bagels mmmm the best!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

It sounds like intuitive eating is really working for you. I know it’s all the rage lately and I think listening to your body is important. I read a great article about it awhile back in my Eating Well magazine. I’m happy you are having such positive results with it.
I eat bread (guilt free) all the time, and I always get it from a local place, The Breadsmith, where all their bread is made fresh daily with no additives, preservatives or dough conditioners. Their bread is amazing and with so many kinds, I never get bored.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I should buy a bread at my local bakery :D I’ve never done that before!

Kadee-Cat April 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Sometimes I keep raw almonds in my purse because they can fend off some pretty serious hunger for a while.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I usually keep bars in my purse too, but I forgot mine yesterday!! I love how well you are doing on intuitive eating sis!
I want to make that GF bread that you linked. My favorite gluten free bread is Rudi’s original right now.

Sarah April 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I am so happy to read about all these huge successes you are having with IE! It is so inspirational! Doesn’t it make life so much more enjoyable? That bread looks delicious!! Have a great night and big congrats! :)

Hayley April 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Nothing beats fresh French bread. Husband and I went to France a few years ago and couldn’t get enough of it! At home my fave store bought bread is Ezekiel but honestly homemade is the best.

I always have a larabar or two in my bag just in case.

The best thing I ate lately would have to be some fresh raspberries.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Mmmmm raspberries!

Health, Love, and Chocolate April 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I also always keep bars on hand for when I am stuck in situations like that. Quest bars don’t always agree with my stomach so I tend to only have them at night at home, but Larabars, Nugo bars, and Greens Plus bars are frequently stashed in my bag.

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hmmmm i should try some of those bars!

Ashley @ AlmostVegGirlie April 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I love the Silver Hills brand of bread and I’m so happy they expanded into the U.S. with their products. I still haven’t been able to find their gluten free breads though and they both sound really good!

I almost always have a Larabar or some dried fruit in my purse. And I always have some stevia packets just in case I need them for an iced tea or something!

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Mmm I really need to try larabars!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) April 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Ok, so I recently actually bought the little big bread from them and was severely disappointed. maybe because i was spoiled with ezekial and love it, but i just was not a fan, but i also like really thick hearty bread so maybe i need to try another variety of it.

i gave up calorie counting awhile ago (seriously it IS one of the most freeing feelings) but lately my nutritionist has really wanted me to up my fats, and i finally decided (or fought ED hard enough) to know she was right. my meals as of lately have been huge and fat filled, which in the past would have scared the crap out of me (because we gain 10lbs overnight right?) but i am really loving the changes i am seeing. i feel and look so much healthier and i am honoring my body and giving it the nutrients it needs.

ive said it before, but i love reading about your progress and it’s inspiration for me to continue pushing. <333

Meg April 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

i love reading and hearing about your changes and progress too my love! thanks for commenting and sharing all of that with me :D <3

i have really upped my fats too cause it’s easier to do that an increase my cals at the same time than eat another piece of fish/meat or have another potato! lol

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles April 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I LOVE bread too! I’ve come around to rye bread lately, but usually I opt for some sort of wheat variety.

It really is so inspiring to read how freeing this intuitive eating journey experience seems to be for you :) Thank you so much for sharing it!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Ok, so obviously I got waaaaaaaaaaay behind in your posts since I’m JUST NOW commenting on this one! But I just had to say that I am SO glad you wrote about ignoring perfection in this and just focussing on listening to your body. I think it is SO important that people get that about intuitive eating…that it’s not another diet sort of thing that has to be perfect. It’s constantly changing (just like our bodies) on a daily basis. There is a bit of trial and error to it, but in the end, the difficult times only make it so you are better in attuned to your body…which I know you know by now! Funny how in the beginning, even though I didn’t realize it at the time, I was striving for perfection and having such a difficult time with IE, but the minute I let all that go, it just got so much easier! I am so proud of you Meg…proud of us! It’s like we’ve opened the door to a whole new world!

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM