Marvelous Monday Muffins

by Meg on April 22, 2013

Good morning my loves! Today is a day of travel for me! I leave for Barbados at 9:00 am, but have to be at the airport by 6:00, so am up bright and early this Marvelous Monday morning! If you want to read about my marvelous weekend please read more about it here, but if you rather meet Gina and learn her delicious recipe for banana muffins then stay right where you are and keep reading!

Welcome to A Dash of Meg, Gina!

Hi there, A Dash of Meg readers! My name is Gina and I share my rambles, eats, and the occasional recipe over at Health, Love, and Chocolate. Meg has become a good blog friend of mine over the past few months and I am honored to be taking over for the day while she is off enjoying herself on vacation.

I wanted to share muffin recipe with you because, well who doesn’t like muffins?

DSC_0010

As we shift into spring, I find myself with the urge to incorporate the season’s wonderful fruit into my baked goods. Alas, the fields aren’t quite overflowing with berries quite yet, but I have come to realize that often times simple is best.

DSC_0006

So, although simple, these banana oat muffins act a the perfect base for any and every topping you can imagine. And once those berries start showing up, why not make a some jam to top your muffins with.

DSC_0013

Or better yet, keep with the them of simplicity and heat them on their own, steaming hot and fresh from the oven.

DSC_0011

Banana Oat Muffins

Adapted from this recipe.

For the topping:

1 1/2 tablespoons rolled oats

1 tablespoons oat flour

2 teaspoons ghee, melted (or butter or coconut oil)

1/2 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk

1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

generous sprinkle cinnamon

For the muffins:

1/2 cup oat flour

1/4 cup buckwheat flour

2 tablespoons almond meal

1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or other unrefined sugar such as sucanat)

1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder

2 large eggs

1 large banana, mashed

6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

2 teaspoons unrefined coconut oil, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Make the topping by combining all ingredients. Set aside.

Combine dry muffins ingredients.

In a separate bowl, whisk together wet muffin ingredients, including the banana.

Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, folding to incorporate.

Pour into a lined or oiled (coconut oil works great) muffin tin. Crumble the topping onto each muffin.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until muffin tops are firm to the touch.

Try not to burn your mouth on your first bite.

Enjoy!

Thanks again for guest posting today, Gina! Your recipe is amazing and possibly just as sweet as you! ;)

What’s your favourite type of muffin?

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM

I love white chocolate and raspberry or carrot cake muffins. Or if I’m being really naughty then salted caramel ones that have the caramel filling in the middle ;)

IHeartVegetables April 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Those muffins sound wonderful! I love muffins so I’m always keeping my eye out for a healthy recipe! Have fun on your trip!!!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM

mmm i do love muffins but dont make them nearly enough!! will have to give this a shot!!

Brittany @ FreckledNettles April 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Thanks for the delicious recipe! You were a great host today, xoxo.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

These sound (and look!) SO good! Definitely putting them on my to-make list when I get home! My favorite type of muffin would probably have to be orange muffins. I love the combination of tart and sweet!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Gina!

Tara @ I'm Fit Possible April 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Yum, these look so flippin’ good!! Have a great trip Meg!

Liv @ lifeasliv April 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Give me a banana chocolate chip muffin any day and I’d be one happy camper. :)

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Oh, Gina, those look DELICIOUS! I love the combination of oat and buckwheat flours–that’s what I’ve been using in my giant pancakes–and I can only imagine what adding the banana does to the flavor. Also, anything with a crumble or streusel topping is good. I think that’s a rule or something. :)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Yum…I love muffins! I’ve never baked with buckwheat flour, but I just ordered some. When it comes in, I’m definitely going to give these a try. Blueberry muffins will always have my heart! ;)

Carly @ Snack Therapy April 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I always forget about muffins as a snack. I should really start including them in my Sunday food prep. Yum!

Anna @ Your Healthy Place April 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Have a great time in Barbados Meg! Are you going to the same place as last time? I remember you befriended everyone there so I bet you’ll have a warm welcome :).

Gina these look amazing, I love banana anything – especially in the morning. I am also in major love with that spoon. Where was it from???

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! April 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM

It’s definitely a tie between banana and blueberry. I haven’t tried cooking with coconut flour yet. I’m going to have to give this one a try!

Sarah April 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Safe travels Meg!! And you KNOW my love of muffins! These look delicious Gina! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Julie @ twosaucysisters April 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I think it’s impossible to decide that! Classic blueberry are great, pumpkin, banana, my mom’s carrot… nope, don’t think I could ever make that call! These muffins look wonderful! :)

GiGi Eats Celebrities April 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

OMG so many ingredients! LOL. But uh, I LOVE your spoon :)

hillary April 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I need that “breakfast love” spoon. where’s it from?

Emily April 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

These look delicious, girly!
There’s NO way I could choose one favorite type of muffin- I love so many! Growing up the almond-poppyseed muffins from Costco were my obsession (unhealthy, I know!) and now I generally opt for banana, pumpkin, or anything with cinnamon!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I want these muffins! :) Have fun in Barbados!! I want to hide in your suitcase! ;)