What I Ate in Barbados

by Meg on May 1, 2013

When I first found out that my parents and I would be traveling to Barbados again this year, I immediately got excited about all of the food I was going to be able to enjoy!

Last year I experienced some amazing food at some of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to, so I knew I was in for another treat! I had a list of restaurants that I wanted to dine at again (one in particular being Naru which was my favourite restaurant from last year), but my parents and I ended up trying all new restaurants this year! And I am so thankful for that because they were all amazing and even better than the ones we experienced last year!

Now, sit back and enjoy my top three meals that I had while dining in Barbados!

Third place goes to…

Spago

My parents and I had dinner at Spago which is located in Holetown, Barbados. We all ordered different entrees, but both of my parents were jealous of my meal. I’m surprised my Dad didn’t beg me to trade him!

I ordered their grilled seafood medley which basically was a never ending mountain of seafood!

My meal included the following: grilled marlin steak topped with grilled mahi mahi topped with grilled flying fish topped with a parmesan crusted lobster tail, grilled shrimp, grilled zucchini, grilled squash, and a side salad with balsamic dressing.

This meal was phenomenal, but the lobster tail stole the show. Personally, I prefer crab to lobster, but the parmesan crusted lobster tail was to die for!

Second place goes to…

Zen

Zen is located within The Crane, which is “one of the Ten Best Beaches in the World” according to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Zen has four menus: Thai, Japanese, Thai tasting menu, and Japanese tasting menu.

My order was made off of the Japanese menu.

For my appetizer I ordered their marinated octopus.

I had never had such delicious marinated octopus in my life before! I was expecting it to be vinegary, but it wasn’t vinegary at all! It was slightly sweet and slightly spicy, but had a distinct sesame seed oil flavour. Absolutely amazing! The octopus was served over top of a homemade pickled cucumber.

Sashimi is one of my most favourite things in the world, so I couldn’t help but order their sashimi, Moriawase, for my entree! It came with red snapper, mackerel, crab meat, salmon, maguro, and hamachi.

The salmon was saved for last as it was my favourite ;)

The winner is…

L’Azure

L’Azure is also located within The Crane and, in my opinion, is the best restaurant on the beach! Or in all of Barbados ;)

Despite the blazing hot sun on my back as we dined on the patio of the restaurant, I ordered the first thing that made my mouth drool! Their grilled salmon over ratatouille. I had never tried ratatouille in my life before, so it was a new experience for me, but I can vouch that this would be the best ratatouille I will ever have in my life!

I’ve had a lot of salmon in my life and this was definitely the best yet. It was cooked to absolute perfection. A crust on the outside and perfectly flaky and juicy on the inside.

I was in heaven as I ate this meal. I couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face. I was so happy with my order!

The ratatouille and the three different sauces served along with my salmon were also to die for.

There was a balsamic-y tasting sauce, a tomato-y tasting sauce, and a lemon thyme oil all drizzled over my meal. All three sauces were perfect accompaniments to my meal and I enjoyed them so much that I licked my plate clean ;) Literally. As I was sopping up the sauces with my finger my Mom actually told me to use my fork.

I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone while on vacation, but it wasn’t a struggle. Rather, it came naturally and felt normal.

My meals did not cause me anxiety or guilt they only resulted in happiness and satisfaction.

I am very proud of where I am today and the relationship I have with food now. I’ve worked really hard to repair my relationship with food over the past couple of months and am very happy with where my journey is taking me.

Have a great Wednesday, friends!

Lots of love,

Please don’t forget to read my guest post for Lori and Michelle

p.s. don’t forget to submit your high fives for this week’s HFF!

Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

salmon is one of my most favorite things in the world too! yay that you got to have lots of it.

Meg May 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Well if salmon is one of your favs, we would make great friends :D

Molly May 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Those meals are making me crave some brain “Fish” food. :) I know what I am having fun Lunch! I bet you got even wiser on your trip with all the Omega-3s in all that fish. Yum! My mom has always wanted to go to Barbados and after seeing your fine dining and beach pictures, I think I will take her up on that offer. I am so glad you have fun Meg! :)

Meg May 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM

you have to go to Barbados, sweetie! We are already booked in for next year!

Caitlin May 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

i’m so so proud of you, look how happy you are sitting outside eating that salmon!!! that looks like HEAVEN. someone got burnt ;) you should be so proud of yourself babe. love the top 3 meal idea!

Meg May 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM

lol I DID get burnt! you should see my legs!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Wow! All of that food looks so fresh and flavoursome. I’m a tad jealous, not going to lie! :-)

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

it’s ok to be jealous of all this seafood ;)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Holy beautiful seafood! I love ordered fresh seafood while at the beach! :)

Kim Perry May 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for sharing Meg!! So excited for my trip!!! 30 days!! :)

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

you HAVE to keep me updated :D

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Oh my. All of these look absolutely wonderfully fantastic. I can’t decide what to comment on first–the marinated octopus looks interesting (I don’t think I’ve ever had octopus before), and both the salmon and the mountain of seafood looks so incredible!

I love fish and seafood, so this would have been HEAVEN to me haha. I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip though! :)

Clair May 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I wish I liked fish more! Maybe I should give it some more love… I can do salmon but other than that I don’t normally experiment… Although I do love sushi! Looks like you had an amazing trip!!

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

THREE sauces?! I would have been in heaven, too. :)

Love ratatouille. I’m so happy you tried it. I pretty much want to bury my face is everything you ate, especially that mixed seafood platter…

This post is a perfect example of why I always say that my veganism (or whatever it is now) will be thrown out the window when I travel internationally…there are just too many local delicacies and cultural foods to taste and try to worry about your ‘label.’

peaceloveandoats May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I’m so glad you had such a wonderful trip, Meg! And all this food looks amazing, I love seafood and I know you do too!!!

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM

we sooooo need a seafood trip together some time :D

Amanda @ Run Principessa May 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You’re killin’ me smalls. All of this looks beyond incredible. I wouldn’t say no to a trip to Barbados…:)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

This is a seafood lover’s dream! Which means I would have LOVED it!! Wow–what a vacation!

Liv @ life as liv May 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

As a fellow seafood lover, can I just say I’M SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW AND DROOLING!!! Parmesan-crusted lobster tail? Sweet and spicy octopus? Fresh, fresh sushi? PERFECTLY COOKED SALMON?!?! Take me to Barbados with you next time, my heart couldn’t take another seafood viewing like this without personally experiencing it.

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM

we are going next year! come along girlfriend ;)

Purelytwins May 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Sashimi is the best!!!! all your eats look AMAZING! making us hungry ;)

Health, Love, and Chocolate May 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oh my goodness that seafood platter looks amazing, seriously like never-ending heaven on a plate! Vacations are definitely a good time for eating fabulous meals.

Sarah May 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

All of those meals look soooo delicious and fresh! I cold eat seafood every day for the rest of my life and be totally happy!!! It’s so great you got to experience some new restaurants too!!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige May 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Octopus?! I’ve never tried that!! I’ve had squid though, so I’m guessing it’s not *too* much different?
Either way – I’d love to go to Barbados somem day :)

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM

you HAVE to go :D

Laura May 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

You have been such an encouragement to me! Today I had to go to and from NYC on a bus (4.5 hours each way) thus my meal options were prettyy limited. Whereas before I would have freaked out, hoarded “safe” snacks, etc. today after my interviews I walked around the city, actually ATE a macaroon and sipped an iced coffee without worrying about the cals, how much more I needed to burn, etc. and it was SO NICE. Is this living? Where HAVE I been.

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM

AMAZING! Isn’t it the best way to live!?

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes May 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM

When I saw what third place was I thought “wow that must have been hard to beat!” My husband and I always rank our meals when we are coming back from a trip. It’s a great way to reminisce.

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No way – Spago is my FAVORITE restaurant in Hawaii! I go every year with my family and we always go to Spago. I think it’s a chain kind of owned by Wolfgang Puck? May be a different restaurant than what I go to a lot but I’m pretty sure he has a few locations :) So glad you enjoyed all of the food on your trip! One of my favorite things about vacations is trying new restaurants.

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Really!? That’s so neat! This was an Italian Spago, so was it the same?

Katie May 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

So glad you had a fabulous trip!! Just catching up now!! The food looks to die for! Was there any froyo places?!! Hehe! U know how much I love it! Love u beauty!!

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM

LOL! Of course my girl Katie will ask about the fro yo ;) But NO! No fro yo in Barbados yet my love! Maybe next year :D

LOVE YOU SO MUCH – your comments always make me smile :) I truly appreciate them

Casey May 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

That seafood looks delicious, but I would feel completely deprived without some form of carbs! Rice, plantains.. something.

Meg May 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM

there was butternut squash for a side