Are you Comfortable?

by Meg on May 6, 2013

Do you ever find yourself taking the easy way out of a situation?

Of course this isn’t something we want to admit to, but I know I definitely have taken the easy way out of many situations in the past. Many of these situations being ED related.

I no longer have an ED, but recovery is a long long road and anyone who has dealt with an ED in the past knows better than anyone that even if you no longer have an ED, you may still follow some ED rules or habits. When following these “habits” or “rules” I would say I’m staying within my comfort zone or being “safe”

Would you agree?

ED’s don’t like to be pushed around or challenged. So, it is the utmost important thing to constantly challenge ED behaviours in order to fully recover. In order to know that you are constantly challenging such behaviours I like to suggest that one asks themselves…

“Am I comfortable?”

If the answer is yes, clearly you’re still in your comfort zone and, like I said, to rid your life of ED behaviours for good, you must always step out and away from that comfort zone. Far far away.

The farther the better.

The ED habits I notice throughout my life are definitely few are far between. I am in a much better place than I ever have been and like I mentioned in a post I wrote last week, my relationship with food today is much better than it was a year ago. As I’ve also mentioned, I was able to enjoy things during my vacation in Barbados this year that I did not get to enjoy last year due to staying within my comfort zone.

I did not want to be in my comfort zone while in Barbados this year. Heck, I never want to be in my comfort zone whether I’m in Barbados or not. I’m always pushing myself to be a better me!

In order to achieve my goal and experience new things while in Barbados this year, I asked myself the question I shared with you above – “am I comfortable?”

There are two particular instances that I remember while in Barbados when I asked myself this very question and I’m so happy I did because I got to experience two new amazing things!

While on the beach at The Crane, there were some guys selling coconut water and other cocktails made with fresh coconut water. Last year, we encountered the same situation, but I turned it down and stuck with my regular water because it seemed like a “safer” option to me. Unfortunately, I’ve regretted that decision ever since.

Luckily, I wasn’t going to let my comfort zone hold me back this time. When I was offered coconut water this year, I gladly accepted.

I was right there as he cut open the coconut. It was so amazing to experience something that I’ve so long regretted missing out on.

The second situation when I had to ask myself “are you comfortable?” was during lunch on our last day in Barbados. My parents and I decided to go to the restaurant in our apartment for our last meal to support the chef, Joy, who is also a good friend of ours.

For lunch she made me a delicious grilled filet of mahi mahi which she marinated in an incredible blend of spices and local hot peppers, a fresh garden salad with homemade dressing, and green banana cou cou.

Well, I’ve never had green banana cou cou before and I had no idea what ingredients were used in the preparation of it. Last year, I turned down a lot of Bajan foods that I was unfamiliar with, but I didn’t want to come back to Canada this year with any regrets.

So, I tried the green banana cou cou and guess what? It was actually really good! Joy told me green banana cou cou is made with boiled green bananas, butter, cream, and a blend of herbs. She topped the green banana cou cou with a homemade gravy as this dish is a more savoury one.

I’m very proud of myself for trying the green banana cou cou and not letting my comfort zone hold me back. I’m also going to try making my own green banana cou cou at home! So, be expecting a recipe within the next couple of weeks! I’ll have to do some experimenting first I am sure! I haven’t boiled bananas before ;)

That’s all for today, friends, but I hope you enjoyed! Tomorrow I’ll talk about my biggest struggle while in Barbados. I’ve been chatting a lot about my successes lately, but it’s important to remember that I have struggles, too! So, that’ll be tomorrow’s post!

Lots of love,

When was the last time you challenged yourself?

Do you continually try to push yourself outside of your comfort zone?

Would have you tried the green banana cou cou?

Reminders:

Don’t forget to enter my latest giveaway for a $25 gift card to cafepress.com

Email me your high fives for this HFF! It’s the 65th celebration, so let’s make it big :D

Linz @ Itz Linz May 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

oooh that banana dessert sounds so good!

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

it’s not a dessert :) it’s like a savoury side dish :) like mashed potatoes :)

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Love this post! There’s a quote that goes, “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” It’s one of my favs, because it’s so true!

(P.S. — all of your food/drinks sounds to-die for, haha!)

I do try to challenge myself in all areas of my life. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I wind up back where I started. But I think the most important part is just putting yourself out there and giving it the best you have.

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

ok so I love that quote and alwayyyyyys think about it! TWINS!

Letizia May 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Banana cou cou sounds delicious!! It is so important to remember to challenge ourselves, because it is so easy to get stuck in a rut and stop progressing if we don’t!! Thank you for reminding me that I need to do it more often. The last time I really challenged myself was a couple day ago. I was not having the best day so I went to Starbucks with my friends and instead of sticking to a “safe” option, I ordered a Frappuccino (with whip cream) for the first time. It was definitely a challenge but it tasted so good. I am glad I was able to try something new. And trying to eat more intuitively makes it easier to listen to my cravings.

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

OMG! Amazing! I LOVE THEIR FRAPPUCCINOS! Please send that in for a high five ok???? xoxoxoxoxo love u

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Eventually, your comfort zone will get bigger and bigger! In other words, things that used to make you feel anxious or uncomfortable will start to feel like no big deal. Keep on keeping on, girl :). You’re awesome!

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Thanks Carly :D

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy May 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM

As soon as I start to feel myself getting comfortable, I make sure I change that. Being comfortable did not get me to where I am today!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I find that a lot of times when I am starting to back out of a situation or shy away from something, it’s old habits trying to creep back in. At this point I have gotten pretty good at recognizing this discomfort as something that needs to be challenged – like you said – rather than just give into and go back to comfort. Usually those situations that start out uncomfortable are the most rewarding in the end and I am always so happy I did them rather than stuck with what was easier. This is such a great post and something I have tried to put into a words a few times in my past. Well said darlin :)

Meg May 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Thanks Hayley!! :D

Lisa May 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Great post Meg! I find myself coming too comfortable with being comfortable haha. And once I am forced to step outside that comfort I realize just how stuck I truly was! Which sometimes I don’t even realize until I am forced to do something different.
Everytime we step out of our comforts we will be greeted with more amazing opportunities, so I’m slowly learning it’s necessary to do!
So proud of how much of a huge jump you’ve done from just one year, truly inspiring to see!
Love youuuu<3

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I totally know what you mean about not realizing how stuck you were until you’re out of your safe zone! That’s exactly how I felt, too!

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

What an accomplishment! Thank you for sharing such a wondering story. Great post!

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Aw thanks Alyssa!

Anna @ Your Healthy Place May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That’s amazing progress, Meg, well done! Caribbean foods are delicious (I know I’m biased but they are!) but I struggle to make my home favourites living in Canada unless I can find a great Caribbean store with the right ingredients – it really does make a difference. My hint would just be if you can’t find green bananas to try plantains because they’re both less sweet than normal bananas. Enjoy and post the recipe if you do replicate it!!

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I will definitely post the recipe when I make it :D Thanks Anna!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit May 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Ohhhh fresh coconut water, so refreshing! I think there’s a huge tie-in between “comfort” & “control”. When we step outside of our comfort zones & challenge ourselves we may loose control which is scary. That’s where we grow though :) Happy Monday Meg!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Great suggestions!! I think I’m out of my comfort zone A LOT recently, especially as I’ve focused more on weight training. Like you, I’m so glad when I do this, because it’s when we really grow (even if it is scary!). :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Well done on pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! That coconut water sounds nice and refreshing. Last time I pushed myself out of my comfort zone was when I presented to a client which I don’t like doing at the best of times but I did it and it went well so it made me feel better for pushing through.

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Congrats Jan!

Sweetly Fit May 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

So inspiring love. can’t wait to hear more about the trip. xoxo

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

aww thanks Kristi! Anything in particular you want to know about? I’ve been blabbing about it for so long lol!

Ellie May 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I totally get challenging yourself with ED behaviors. I’m at a much better place foodwise now than I ever have been as well. I contribute that to capitalizing on situations where I want to get out of my comfort zone. If I try something new then, whether its relaxing, eating something new or putting myself out there, if I do it when I feel capable, I discover that it’s not so hard and can do it again when maybe I’m not as willing or comfortable.

I worry about one phrase in your post “I’m always pushing myself to be a better me!”
I think you should also be content with who you are at the moment. If I always thought about how I can improve myself in the moment, I think I would backslide into bad habits.

Feel me?

Meg May 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

YES! Capitalizing on the situation! I use that phrase sooooo much! YAY US! :D

And about your second comment, I totally know what you mean and I actually posted a bit about that today ironically! Even though I am always wanting to improve myself to keep progressing, I am able to love where I’m at right now and be proud of what I’ve done so far. You know? :)

Brit@twosaucysisters May 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Sounds great, Meg! Looking forward to that recipe ;)

IHeartVegetables May 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM

This is such a good mantra, ED related or otherwise. It’s so good to get out of your comfort zone and try new things!

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I’ve definitely been trying to push myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to the meals I make for myself. You get in this routine, so much so that it is almost like, “Do I even LIKE that anymore?” Some things never get old, but it is good to take a break now and then. I found that it has made me more creative culinarily, and also ALWAYS more happy and satisfied with my meal.

Also, I might be getting a little TOO comfortable with eating bread. ;) That is my current craving….