What I Ate Last Week

by Meg on May 15, 2013

Your support over the past few days has really blown me away. Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments and love. It really does mean so much to me <3

Yesterday I shared the three goals/challenges my dietitian and I set for myself to complete throughout the first week after meeting with her. I described The Smoothie Challenge yesterday and, in light of What I Ate Wednesday, I will share what my week of eats looked like while pushing myself to step out of my comfort zone.

WIAWbutton

The first week after seeing my dietitian for the very first time I did not have a meal plan, so we set the three challenges I shared with you yesterday until she created my meal plan.

One of the challenges was to have at least one “treat meal” or food that I normally don’t have.

Personally, I hate the word “treat” or “cheat” meal and I haven’t used these terms since beginning my intuitive eating journey since foods should not be labeled good or bad.

I also don’t like numbers. I didn’t want to allow myself just one meal that I would usually consider “off limits” because this would make me feel restricted, so I solved this problem by having meals a may not typically have each and every day for a full week.

I made sure my breakfasts were hearty and contained a balance of protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. My favourite was this mushroom and spinach omelette made with 3 whole eggs and a side of flaxseed bread.

I went out for all you can eat ribs at Montana’s twice and managed to devour two racks of fall off the bone ribs :)

I enjoyed having ribs so much that I also went to Swiss Chalet and enjoyed their rib dinner, too!

The dining out streak continued as I also found myself chomping down on a filet mignon cooked to medium rare at The Keg.

But, when I didn’t dine out at restaurants I still made sure I stepped out of my comfort zone while at home and on the beach ;)

I had hot dogs for the first time since I don’t know when!

And broke food rules and tried my very first Luna and Clif bars!

I also munched on nuts and nut butters throughout the days.

And added ice cream in every now and then.

images

Throughout the week as I pushed myself outside of my comfort zone on a daily basis I realized that this is the only way change is made. I’m happy that I didn’t only have one outside-of-my-comfort-zone type of meal and walk away thinking “OK, good enough!”

When I met with my dietitian for the second time and shared with her my successes of the week, she was incredibly proud and asked me “If you ate like this for the rest of your life, how would you feel?”

It didn’t take me long to answer back by saying “I would feel amazing! I would feel normal!?”

And that’s when we decided that I don’t need a meal plan because I am capable of eating normal and having not-so-healthy foods and not feeling guilty about them; therefore, she gave me the meal plan she developed for me, but told me to keep eating as I have been, but if I do need structure that I can fall back onto her meal plan.

I feel comfortable with this plan we’ve decided on and will fill you in on the third challenge, The Unknown Oatmeal, in tomorrow’s post! Then it’s HFF :D So, make sure you email me your high fives! I want my inbox full :D

For more details about HFF please read here.

Do you put limitations on how many “treat meals” you can have per week? I personally don’t believe in doing this because it leaves me feeling restricted as I mentioned, but it also leads me to feel guilt if I go over that “one allowed” treat meal. Therefore, I say ditch the numbers and eat freely all of the time! Stop counting how many times you didn’t eat “perfectly” and start enjoying all of the foods you and your body love! :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM

That ice cream looks yummy!

Well done on pushing yourself to keep going outside of your comfort zone! I hope you give yourself a high five friday for all the good work you’ve been doing for yourself in the last week :)

Linz @ Itz Linz May 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM

honestly i enjoy “treats” probably more than i should… but you know what? i love them and even though i do eat treats everyday, i eat mostly healthy, i feel good about myself, and i workout. i think i’m doing fine even if others disagree :)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

the way you eat inspires me daily – don’t stop sis xoxo

Letizia May 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I am so proud of you!! I have been reading your blog for a long time and I can see how far you have come! You are amazing, and inspire me every day in my own struggles.I think it is awesome that you decided to reach out for help. We really can’t always do everything on our own.
I don’t like to think of having one “treat meal” because, like you, it makes me feels restricted. I would rather have several smaller treats throughout the week. However, sometimes I have one really decadent meal. For example, last night I went out with friends for my birthday, and the whole meal, from starter to dessert, was a “treat meal”. But it doesn’t mean I can’t have other treats this week if I feel like it.
I am very intrigued about the unknown oatmeal challenge! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Kierston @candyfit May 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

You are doing great with your intuitive eating. Following your own rules while keeping your own balance in check :)

I too don’t like the word treat or cheat but I use them anyway…I say goodies sometimes ;)

Off season…I eat everything in balance. No scheduled ‘cheat’ days…just balanced and moderated eating :)

xo

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating May 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I love Luna bars! And nut butter. And sweet potatoes. And ice cream :)

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Those ribs look FANTASTIC. I can eat a surprisingly enormous amount if they’re in front of me!

I don’t put limitations on how many “treat meals” I can have per week. My reasoning is much the same as yours–I’d feel like I was restricting myself too much, and I’d also worry that I’d blown my “clean” eating for the day and just go crazy. And that never ends well. :) Everything in moderation!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

lol oh I can pack away A LOT of ribs too ;)

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Good for you for going so far out of your comfort zone! Sounds to me like you’re making amazing progress :) I love caramel nut brownie Luna bars. Aren’t they amazing?!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

ick Luna bars were way too sweet for me!

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever thought about a meal as a ‘treat meal.’ I might indulge in something I wouldn’t normally eat, but I don’t PLAN for it. I just say, “OK, this is what I want right now.” Planning your treats doesn’t really make them special, does it?

Katie May 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Have to agree with Sarah! I think treat meals are wrong way to view a meal that is not typically healthy, u should treat yourself any day you want! It’s all about balance!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I don’t call them treat/cheat meals, either :) I think I said that :)

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Girl, I’m so happy for you! I can’t believe that was your first Luna bar! Aren’t they yummy? And ice cream is always a sure bet. You can’t ever (ever, ever) go wrong!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Luna bars were wayyyyy too sweet for me! YIKES

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

This is GREAT!! I love that you jumped in fully with her challenge, and didn’t just dip a toe in the water. Wonderful!

Brittany@twosaucysisters May 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yummmm! Spinach and mushrooms are the only veggies I like to put in my omelettes :) And yay for ice cream- we must have an ice cream date some time when I’m in London :)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

miss you girls!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome May 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Yum! Everything looks delicious! I love carrot sticks and nut butter but have had to cut back on my nut consumption to do annoying water retention. I eat WAY too many nuts/nut products! Can you blame me!?! I eat a pretty clean diet (mainly paleo) but allow myself treats from time to time. I pretty much follow a 90/10 plan of eating as I believe restricting yourself too much causes food issues and more cravings. At least for me :-)

Angela @ Beauty in Strength May 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Love this post Meg! I realized that I had so many fears of consequences, and once I push myself out of my comfort zone and realize it’s okay, I feel so free, successful, and able to push myself outside again. It’s actually even went into my everyday life. I noticed that often I build up something in my head for being bad when in actuality it’s not a big deal at all. Such a great gift to release unnecessary worry. Keep inspiring. :)

Lisa May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Great job love! You’ve clearly made some amazing strides so far. With the added “treat meals” like ice cream. We should never be deprived off things we enjoy.
And great job on breaking those “food rules” with some food bars, like luna bars.
I’m like you too, I don’t like putting restrictions like that on myself, but typically I don’t crave stuff like that often, maybe once or twice a week. If I crave it more, I’ll probably have it now!

Krista Nile May 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I just caught up on your blog after being out of town and I just love reading it! You are so inspiring, honest and positive. I always feel better after reading one of your posts and I am so proud of you for everything you have been achieving lately!! Keep it up!!!

Krista

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Love you Krista! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SWEET COMMENT!

Emily May 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yes yes yes yes yes…this makes me SO happy!
This is how it should be! This is what happiness and freedom feels like. You should never feel guilty for eating something that’s out of your comfort zone and you should never let food anxiety get in the way of enjoying yourself. To truly live and eat without analyzing every bite is an amazing feeling and I’m so proud of you for beginning to discover it! <3

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit May 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You are still doing such an excellent job Meg! I appreciate you sharing your journey will all of us so we can learn from you & encourage you! Yea!!

Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews May 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Looks like you were able to enjoy lots of different foods! That’s great that you are seeing an RD too by the way. I think it’s helpful to have someone to help you meet your goals.

dixya| Food, Pleasure, and Health May 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

this is just incredible :)

Hannah May 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

So inspiring!! It feels good to break food rules doesn’t it?! This food rule is one that is hardest for me to break but I’m trying!! I love how you said that eating like this made you feel normal. That’s what I’m working towards as well, just being able to go with the flow and eat what I want when I want even if I’ve already had a so called treat that week or day! I don’t tend to crave “unhealthy” foods anyway so I should allow myself to have them when the craving strikes!! Thanks for this post! It’s very helpful!

Amy May 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Oh man Meg, those ribs look great! And my dad is hooked on Clif bars. He takes them on his really long hikes as a quick source of fuel. I haven’t had one in a while, but I remember liking a flavor with blueberries in it. And their mint chocolate, as strange as it sounds, isn’t all that bad either! What did flavor did you try?

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I had a few but didn’t like any – way too sweet for me

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I don’t think someone who needs to gain weight should ever label foods as good or bad – it just creates the wrong message and isn’t necessary in your journey to gain weight. The important thing is to eat and not worry about eating ‘clean’ all the time. I’m glad you’re venturing outside of what is traditionally safe and eating foods like ribs and ice cream. I’m curious to see how you cope without a meal plan. I’m not sure it’s the best decision, but hopefully you and your RD will re-evaluate if necessary!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I’ve actually gained weight while not being on a meal plan, so it is working for me

Julie May 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Good job, Meg! I’m so happy for you! :D

Ang @ Nutty for Life May 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I try not to limit myself on treats, but if I feel like I’ve been going overboard, I will reign myself in for a little. I know that exclusion doesn’t work for me, so fun food always works itself back in.

Ali May 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Meg, you are so ridiculously amazing. It’s crazy how you can get inside my head without even knowing it! :) Reading your blog has brought me so much peace and comfort, I can’t even begin to tell you. xo

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM

awww LOVE THIS COMMENT

Katie @ Live Half Full May 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I’m so proud of you!!! It’s so liberating to break all the “rules,” isn’t it??? I put mayonnaise on a sandwich for the first time in years the other day and it was so delicious!!! Also, I’ve been eating bread when I crave it and I’m loving it!!!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM

omg mayo! love! yay and congrats to you

lindsay May 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

you are making me want to stuff my face in those ribs! i need some IRON, bad! haha. So awesome for you to push out of the comfort zone. You seem happy, which makes me happy!

Me May 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Hi Meg, your posts make me cry. I’m struggling with compulsive eating but also have many fear foods and a rigidity about food choices. I live in Ontario and would LOVE it if you could somehow connect me to your dietitian (a contact by any chance?). I feel like any dietitian that you can TRUST, is one that I would trust…I’m a lot older than you and obviously have overeating issues, and a lot of IBS problems :( But seriously , let me know. Thks Meg. Seriously.

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I suggest that you go on the dietitians of canada website and find an RD near you :)

Ali @ North of Here May 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Coming off a 3 month competition prep where I had to eat specific macronutrients each day as well as having a once a week cheat meal (then none at all for the last month)… I’m finding it hard to get back into ‘what’s normal’ after competition.

I feel like so I don’t loose all the hardwork I’ve earnt, I’m trying to limit my treat ‘meals’ to 1-2 a week.

Sara May 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You might find weight gain easier if you reintroduced some carbs into your diet (more than just a couple slices of dry toast at breakfast). Just my experience in recovery/weight restoration.

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I’m sorry Sara, but you do not know what I eat on a daily basis. I eat many more carbs than just at breakfast.

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

And FYI I have been successfully gaining weight.

Health, Love, and Chocolate May 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I think it’s great that even while working toward your goal to put on weight, you are realizing that all the positive changes you’ve made with your eating habits can fit into that goal, you’ve obviously come such a long way. :-) I am completely intrigued by this unknown oatmeal thing, I can’t wait to read about it!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) May 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

my nutritionist gives me the same challenge, she tells me i need to make myself uncomfortable EVERYDAY at, at least one meal a day. because if you only do it once in awhile, it won’t become normal, and it won’t become comfortable. it’s a hard challenge, but it works. i’ve have so many experiences lately that normally would have made me uncomfortable, but i’m doing more and more to where i don’t get uncomfortable at all anymore. it’s just another time. just another meal. just another drink and i don’t think twice about it.

you’re amazing love and doing great <3

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

way to go girl! keep pushing yourself!! xoxo

Brittany @ FreckledNettles May 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

This is such an awesome post to read. I am so happy for you, Meg! You’re really coming so far. You’re not only staying strong for yourself, but you’re staying strong for everyone around you. Keep up the great work.

Oh, and keep up the munchin’ and crunchin’ on nuts and nut butters. They’re my personal fav. :)

Amelia May 16, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Hi Mrg :) I try to eat with no restrictions at all! Life is for living, loving and making a difference not restriction! With a slight adjustment- I do try to get ethical animal products all the Time ;) But honestly freedom- is just calling a truce with food! Imagine all the free time you will have when eating is like breathing and guilt plays no part- happy days ;) May I ask (sorry) what food rule was broken with a Luna Bar?

Amelia May 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Sorry! Meg not “mrg” obviously!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I just didn’t like eating bars, so I avoided those bars. That was my silly food rule that I no longer have

purelytwins May 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM

ribs looks yummy!!!
and yay for feeling good and eating a well balanced diet :) we are trying to do the same- enjoy our meals but also get a good balance diet!
HUGS

Amanda @runtothefinish May 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I was actually just working on a post about cheat meals, I just really hate that term. It makes it sound like what you are doing the rest of the time sucks and it doesn’t! I do think that learning out to balance super healthy eating with indulging because we choose to is important. Kudos to you for doing the work!