What I Ate in Utah

by Meg on May 22, 2013

I ate so many delicious meals and snacks while in Utah for the Blend Retreat

I wasn’t surprised, though. So many amazing brands such as Chobani, Attune Foods, Green Mountain Coffee, Laughing Cow, Muesli Fusion, Soy Joy, Onnit, Blue Print, Bob’s Red Mill, Living Proof Fit Gear, Larabar, Simply Choices, Zevia, Swanson’s Vitamins, Blue Diamond Almonds, Core Power, GPP Fitness, ProBar, Build-a-Sign, Fitmixer, and Silk sponsored Blend, so I was able to try a lot of new-to-me products!

I plan to give reviews of some of my favourite products, but for today’s WIAW I will be reviewing the restaurants I dined at while in Utah.

WIAWbutton

The first restaurant I went to was Kneaders Bakery and Cafe.

Kneaders is known for their amazing french toast, but Candice and I went to Kneaders for a later dinner after we did some shopping Thursday evening, so we both ordered the chicken and avocado salad.

The salads were fresh and made right in front of you.

I dressed my salad up with their balsamic vinaigrette and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kneaders not only sells food, but while standing in line you can browse through some gorgeous gift items, too. They have some beautiful jewellery on display, so if you are headed to Utah soon and visit Kneaders, I highly recommend taking a few minutes while waiting for your food to snoop through their gift items :)

The second restaurant we ate at was Plates and Palettes and it ended up being my favourite restaurant out of the whole trip!

The concept is similar to Kneaders where you order at the front desk, the kitchen is open and you’re able to see them prepare your meal, and there is a gift shop to browse through while waiting.

But the salad I ordered at Plates and Palettes was mind blowing!

One of those salads that make you go “OMG this is amazing, OMG!” the whole way through. I ordered Candice’s favourite salad – Shrimp and Spinach with extra shrimp. This salad is made with fresh baby spinach, sweet potato, grapefruit, pistachios, shrimp, and the best ever lemon vinaigrette (which I shamelessly licked off my plate after my salad was all gone ;) )

The next restaurant I had dinner at was Cafe Rio with Linz, Annette, and Sara. Annette recommended the restaurant and their fire roasted chicken salad, so we all went with that.

I ordered my salad with extra everything! Extra chicken, extra lettuce, extra salsa, and extra guac! OK, I may have said extra extra guac ;)

I can honestly say that this was the best Mexican restaurant I’ve ever been to. The salad was incredibly fresh and actually bigger than my head, but I had no problem devouring the entire thing – it was so good! The chicken was spicy, but the guac tamed it down.

The day I left Utah, I had only one request…

A trip to Whole Foods!

Ever since experiencing Whole Foods for the first time in Boston for HLS last year, I’ve been obsessed and jealous of everyone else who gets to eat their on a regular basis. Unfortunately, London does not have a Whole Foods, so I knew it was a must to eat at least one meal there while in Utah this past weekend! :)

I obviously got the big brown box and filled it with all of my favourites! :)

I really enjoyed myself while in Utah and the food was out of this world delicious! I can’t wait to go back or visit another new-to-me city! Eating is one of the best things about traveling! :D Don’t you think?

Have you been to any of the restaurants I mentioned above? What restaurant would you take me to if I came to visit you?

Reminder about HFF! If you haven’t done so yet please, please, please submit your high fives to me! Read here for more details!

Linz @ Itz Linz May 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

i want that nut butter!!!!!!!!!!!! and i want cafe rio again and again!!!

Kim Perry May 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Looks like you had a blast! Let me know next time you come to Boston!!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM

All of your food looks SO good. Your salads look impressive beyond belief. I need to find that Walnut Almond Cashew butter…I can never decide what kind of nut butter I want when I’m at the grocery store. I think that would make things easier for me ;)

sloanepitman May 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

YES! I can’t wait to go to all those places! I have them marked down for sure! That Mexican place looks soooo yummy! Thanks for sharing doll! Love you babe!

sara @ fitcupcaker May 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

You guys are so cute, I love the restaurant recap..unfortunately we only ate at one restuarant but I wish I could have hit up cafe rio for that huge salad!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen May 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

YUMM! I love whole foods take out :) That salad from Plates and Palettes looks might good and I think I may recreate something similar soon!! I’ve got all the main ingredients on hand :) Trying new foods is one of the best things about traveling by FAR!! And….that trilogy butter at the top…looks amazing!

Sarah @ My Mostly Healthy Life May 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Looks so delicious!! And you look adorable!! Xo

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Wow…that shrimp salad looks amazing! I have seen so many posts on Cafe Rio…I wish there was one in my area. Looks like some awesome eats at the BLEND, maybe I can join ya’ll next year. ;)

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Mmm, those Cafe Rio salads look great! The only meal out I ate at Blend was on Saturday night. I love that you got to experience a few local restaurants. And I want to cry for you because you don’t have a Whole Foods. So sad!!

Angie @ Asphalt & Trails May 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Wow, you flew all the way from London?! All the food looks amazing but I have a soft spot for Mexican food and the salad has me drooling right now. Thanks for the review!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

London, Ontario?? ;)

Lindsay May 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

yummmmm — love whole foods’ salad bar. they have everything!

Deb @ Its All About Me Fitness May 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You are a chica after my own heart! I say all the time I want to travel just to eat the local food!!!! I think its the best way to experience the local culture. So glad to meet you in person, you are such a cute little thing. Hope to see you again soon at another blogging event. And I’m blaming you now for the debt I get into because of a new tea obsession ;)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

hahahahaha yay for your new tea obsession :D

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yay for getting to Whole Foods!! I love going there for lunch when I’m traveling. So happy you had the opportunity to go!

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I love, love, love big salads! That one looks amazing!

Tiffany May 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Oh this is so crazy, I live literally down the street from GPP fitness! I actually work out at the community rec center but I drive past GPP every single morning on the way to the rec. First Off, cafe rio is the greatest thing ever ever ever, I always get the fire grilled chicken salad too, it’s my absolute FAV! I have driven past plates and palates for years but never actually knew what it was but now that I’ve seen that incredible salad you ordered I MUST try it, pronto! And kneaded, it’s just a classic. They have amazing bread, soups, and salads. I can’t get enough of those places. Have you tried Zupas though?? It’s my number one favorite restaurant like that where they ,sake your salad and sandwich right in front of you and it’s AMAZING!!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I will have to try Zupas when I go in July!!

Meg @ The Compost Cook May 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’m totally drooling!! Those salads look amazing and you have made me crave WF salad bar right now…I know what’s for dinner!!

Caitlin May 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

i’m sooo happy you went to whole foods. omg the palettes salad looks TO DIE FOR!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Mmmm that salad looks to die for!! All of them, but especially the one with sweet potatoes. Trying new restaurants and dishes is definitely one of my favorite parts of traveling :)

Natalie @ Lift,Sleep, Eat May 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Blend looks like so much fun! So jealous! Cant believe how good that mexican restaurant looks as well and a trip to wholefoods is always a must!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

So many great restaurants! I love trying new places when I travel – part of the fun! Since I’ve been living in Texas, I’ve been loving Mexican food and that looks delicious. So fun! :)

Kim @ Racing Bananas May 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Wow, that walnut almond butter sounds amazing – I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for it!

Tiffani @ Miles In Murray May 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I must try Plates and Palattes! I am a Utah Local, so Cafe Rio & Kneaders show up in my life from time to time.

I am glad you enjoyed the food in Utah.

Lindsay @ The Functional Foodie May 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Girl I am so jealous that you go to all these blogger conferences. I really need to save up and go to one! That salad looks so delicious! I’m glad you got to go to Whole Foods. I guess I don’t realize how great it is since I live in the city with the Whole Foods headquarters, so we have the largest whole foods ever. GLAD you had fun. Also thanks to you I’m obsessed with David’s Tea and I am having my friend load up on tons of flavors to mail me lol

Annette Perkins (@FitnessPerks) May 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Mmmmm Cafe Rio!! Isn’t that place amaze?! So so good. My <3 will always be there.

Yay for BLEND! It was fantastic to meet ya, cutie :)

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Oh my gosh, girl…I am sad to miss out on Plates & Palettes (but I think I have most of those ingredients at home…pairing sweet potato and grapefruit is GENIUS) and Cafe Rio looks AMAZING. I guess I’ll have to go back and visit. :)

Brittany @ FreckledNettles May 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Guac! My favorite. I’m happy to see that you enjoyed yourself, girlfriend!

Lisa May 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Ah everything looks SO delicious and wonderful! But obviously the company was the best:)
So wish I didn’t have surgery wahh.
And that giant salad looks like totally my thing! How lovely!
You girls are all too cute.
And walnut almond cashew butter! That’s like a dream. Cashew butter is my go-to but close runner ups are walnut and almond! Hm. Maybe I should make my own. Happy Wednesday love!

lindsay May 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

we need a cafe rio here! it looks SOOOO GOOD! Love a good salad! You need to come visit austin, we have the mega whole foods!

Emily May 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That salad from Cafe Rio looks HEAVENLY! Lots of guac is the way to go. (:
So happy that you enjoyed yourself so much!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yum all those salads look amazing! I am a shameless plate licker at the best of times too :)

I would take you to the Vegie Bar here in Melbourne, Australia, they make the most amazing vegetarian food that is packed full of veggies and is just all so delicious and really really cheap.

purelytwins May 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

loved Onnits trio butter – soooo good!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Can we do it all over again?! So much good food, but even more was SO much great QT spent with you all. I adored meeting you in person. And I want to steal your Plates and Palettes meal. ;) xoxoxox

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

you would have loved that salad! i need to buy the ingredients to make it again

Katy @ Naner-A-Day May 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Sayyyyyyy whhhhhhhat?? Walnut Almond Cashew butta? Sounds ahmaze!!!!

Amy May 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM

If you’re in the mood for dessert the next time you go to Whole Foods, try their vegan chocolate cupcake!! It’s SO good. The frosting on top is practically a thick chocolate fudgy mousse. I’m craving one just thinking about it!

Health, Love, and Chocolate May 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

All your Blend eats look wonderful, hopefully I can be there next year!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

i sure hope so!!

Jess May 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Looks like an awesome trip : )