WIAW: Flax Edition

by Meg on May 29, 2013

Well, after a streak of countless intuitive eating related posts and absolutely no recipes posts (sorry about that!), it’s finally looking like A Dash of Meg is a food blog again! :)

I hope you’ve enjoyed the three recipes I’ve shared with you already this week. Please let me know if you try any of them! I’m always excited to hear from you (which reminds me – have you emailed me your High Five Friday submissions yet?)

For today’s What I Ate Wednesday I will be reviewing one of my favourite products that I eat every singly day (and that’s no lie!)

Food For Life’s Ezekiel Flax Bread! :)

PER-SS-Ezekiel-Flax-Bread

Food For Life was kind enough to send me two loaves of their flax bread after reading about how much I love bread! Especially a nice crunchy, hearty bread ;)

Prior to trying Ezekiel 4:9 Flax bread I had only tried their Original Sprouted Whole Grain bread. I love the original, but the flax version is much heartier, so I love it that much more! :)

It’s the perfect breakfast bread to use for soaking up the yolks of my perfectly fried dippy eggs!

But, it’s also the perfect bread to use for sandwiches!

I’ve recently enjoyed egg and salsa sandwiches

As well as chicken, avocado, and spinach sandwiches!

with whole grain Dijon mustard too of course ;)

I’ve been loving and eating bread so much lately that I even went as far as comparing Ezekiel 4:9 Flax bread to Silver Hill’s Bakery Mack’s Flax bread one morning side by side at breakfast.

It was hard to compare the two breads as they are both incredibly delicious and hard to differentiate; however, the one difference I did find was that the Silver Hills version of flax bread was slightly denser than the Ezekiel 4:9, which was slightly fluffier.

Overall, both breads are well worth trying! The two companies are wonderful and I loved partnering up with both! :)

Do you like flax bread? Have you tried either of the breads I reviewed in this post?

What is your favourite type of sandwich?

Thanks for hosting WIAW, Jen! :)

WIAWbutton

See you tomorrow!

Love,

Linz @ Itz Linz May 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM

i LOVE the ezekiel flax bread!!! the grainier the better and this bread is definitely grainy!!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 29, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I’ve not tried flax bread and unfortunately we don’t have those bread brands here in Australia. My current sandwich recipe obsession is one I read about on roadtord.wordpress.com where she microwaves an egg for 30 seconds in a mug, breaks up some string cheese and mixes it in, then microwaves again for 30 seconds. She had hers with avocado but I’ve been having mine with relish and it is delicious! :) (A benefit of starting my new Trial Tuesdays recipe trials is all the delicious new recipes I’ve found)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That really does amazing!

Emma @ Culturecopia May 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Where do you buy the Ezekiel bread? I’ve looked for it in London and couldn’t find it!

Darcie May 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM

They sell it at Whole Foods or any health food store! Even my local neighborhood grocery store sells it, it’s usually in the freezer bread section.

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Yes, I can find it pretty much anywhere :) like superstore, loblaws, etc.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I’ve never tried flax bread, but it looks good! I love bread that has itty bitty bits of stuff in it (seeds, grains, etc.) so this looks right up my alley. LOVE runny yolks with bread, by the way. Such a fantastic combination.

Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog May 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I love Ezekiel bread! I haven’t tried the Flax though. I always get the original or the low sodium. Its so good!

Kierston @candyfit May 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I’ve never tried but I totally wanna!

All your eats look so good!

Me May 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I haven’t seen the flax variety, but just got brave enough to buy the original Ezekiel bread. I’ve been Gluten phobic , so avoided…but I’m tired of avoiding things that might not be so bad afterall. You give me courage to try it :)
I struggle with grains since I don’t exercise and it feels like I don’t deserve them. I hate this constant battle and confusion over what to eat. I just want someone to tell me a meal plan each day…so I don’t have to …think.
It’s mentally exhausting. I wish I could find a dietitian that understood or that I could click with, but I’ve had no success and only bad experiences with them :( Let me know (seriously) if you have a recommendation for one to try. I have only reached dead ends.

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I love their flax bread when it’s nice and toasty!

Carrie May 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hi Meg! I know the original sprouted whole grain Ezekiel bread is not gluten free, but is this flax variety gluten free?
Thanks!
p.s. loveeee your blog :)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

no it is not gluten free honey :)

olviya@servingsisters.com May 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I love a hearty loaf of bread! I have not tried either of the breads you reviewed but will definitely keep an eye out for them next time I’m at the grocery store. ;)

Alex (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) May 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Mmm I’ve got to try an egg and salsa sandwich! I think my absolute favorite sandwich is good old grilled cheese, though to be honest, I’m not sure I’ve really had a sandwich I didn’t like. What can I say, I love bread! ;)

She Rocks Fitness May 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Nothing beats a good sandwich and one of my favorites is: Prosciutto, Fresh Mozzarella, Pesto, on a Ciabatta Roll. It’s from a local deli and it’s DIVINE…only once in a while though. LOL! I have 1 loaf of the Ezekiel 4:9 in my freezer. Great brand!

Alyssa @ Road to RD May 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Do you have two different brands of eggs there too? One yolk is so much more orange!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

i don’t think so!? haha

Angela @ Beauty in Strength May 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Food for Life’s Ezekiel bread, English muffins, rolls, and tortillas are everyday staples with me! I have an intolerance to wheat, and I have absolutely no reaction to their products. They really fill me, and I love that they are a complete protein!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’m a big fan of the Ezekiel line, especially the cinnamon raisin – it’s great with eggs!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM

what a great idea!

Ali Moll May 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hey Meg! I haven’t tried the Flax Ezekiel yet! I’m going to look for it at the grocery store today! I had an egg sandwich on regular Ezekiel bread for breakfast this morning! Yum!

april May 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM

i have not yet tried ezekiel’s flax bread, but i absolutely love their original sprouted grain bread, as well as their sprouted tortillas. i made an egg/spinach/bell pepper/avocado ezekiel wrap for lunch today and it totally hit the spot! i’m an egg monster, too. ;) i could eat eggs all day, every day!!

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM

ME TOO :D egg lovers! yay!

Brittany @ FreckledNettles May 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I love Ezikzel bread! I have yet to try Flax, but I do love sesame and cinnamon raisin! My favorite type of sandwich is the good ol’ PB&J!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body May 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I’ve seen that bread in the grocery store but haven’t tried it yet. Sandwiches make the perfect meal, all the sandwich look delicious!

Emily May 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ezekiel Flax Bread at the store before- It looks so delicious! And how sweet of them to send you a few loaves. I’m glad you’re loving it. (:

jen May 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Love that bread! So did you finish school and graduate’ what’s next!??

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I will be writing posts about that soon :D

Jody - Fit at 55 May 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I LOVE BREAD!!! Will not go a day without at least a couple pieces of my healthy breads! I must try both BUT I do like denser so… but I love Ezekiel too! :)

Why don’t bread companies contact me! :)

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

contact them ;)

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen June 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I had never tried ANY of the Ezekiel breads until I was asked to review the new flax kind, and I absolutely adore it. After working my way through an entire loaf, I’ve been rationing the rest–although I know I can always buy more if I need it. :)

Can we please talk about how beautifully ORANGE that yolk is???

Meg June 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM