WIAW: Making Gains
Good morning! :D
2. Toasted Fried Egg Sandwich made with Silver Hills Bakery bread, 2 two whole eggs, and tomato slices
3. Oat ‘n Strawberry Protein Shake made with almond milk, vanilla protein powder, strawberries, oats, and ice (recipe here)
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly Quest bar
5. BBQ Chicken Dinner of one chicken leg, one chicken thigh, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables, and shredded lettuce
6. Cottage Cheese Bowl made with 2% cottage cheese
Unpictured – peanuts, Greek yogurt, one chicken thigh, water, and tea ;)
Meg’s Tips & Tricks for Gaining
– Step away from the fat free/non fat/0% M.F. dairy! I buy 2% or full fat dairy products such as yogurt and cottage cheese and find this to be a very easy way to increase my overall calories. Not to mention… higher fat dairy products are so much more delicious than their fat free counterparts!
– Eat whole eggs! I can’t even remember the last time I bought or ate egg whites and I used to have them all of the time, but if you’re looking to gain, ditch the whites and start eating whole eggs!
– Add oats to your postworkout shakes! I’ve recently started to add in 1/2 cup oats to my postworkout shakes in addition to a piece of fruit. In the past I was only including a piece of fruit in my postworkout shakes, but the addition of oats definitely helps with achieving gains more quickly!
– Have snacks packed with you at all times! You never know when hunger will strike! I always have nuts and Quest bars in my purse!
– Broaden your horizons and eat something other than just chicken breast and other lean meats. I used to buy packs upon packs of chicken breasts from Costco, but not anymore! I’ve been buying whole chickens lately and either barbecuing or roasting them. Chicken legs and thighs are my favourite and their nutrient rich! Yet another easy way to increase your calories without increasing volume.
– Use fats liberally! Roast your potatoes, vegetables, etc. with your favourite oils
– Forget portion sizes and macronutrient ratios! Just eat!
– Snack! I snack on nuts constantly throughout my days. My current favourites are pecans, cashews, and walnuts. I also snack on avocados, chicken legs/thighs, Healthy Bites, and so on.
A lot of people told me it wasn’t the best idea to “eat intuitively” if I was looking to gain and that I should be on some sort of meal plan, but I stuck with my gut and ditched my meal plan and began to allow myself to eat whatever, whenever.
I found myself still feeling hungry approximately every 2 – 3 hours, so I usually do end up eating 6 times a day. This is what works for me.
I’m proud to say I’ve been successful at gaining this way and my tips and tricks have definitely helped me get to where I am today.
Love food, have fun with it, and enjoy every moment of this beautiful life you have!