My First Avocado Smoothie

by Meg on June 13, 2013

Avocado, how I love thee!

I eat them plain…

on toast…

in my sandwiches

and wraps

on salads

or on fish

or as a simple side dish!

Avocado is necessary when whipping cottage cheese to make it over-the-top-delicious! (recipe here)

Avocado is also necessary when making guacamole or Laura’s delicious Blood Orange and Avocado Scones (which I must admit, I’ve made more than 10 times… They are that amazing!)

And I’ve only recently discovered that avocado is necessary when making a delicious smoothie, too! :D

Strange, but good? I think so ;)

sprint2table-strangebutgood-GREEN-2

I’ve been hearing about avocado smoothies for a while now, but hadn’t tried one until this past weekend. I was recipe experimenting and on my first go at it was more than successful!

The very first avocado smoothie I’ve ever made turned out to be a big winner and I’d feel bad if I kept this delicious recipe a secret from all of you!

It’s perfect for a light snack mid morning or afternoon and it’s even more perfect for the summer season as the flavours remind me of being on a beach!

Coco-cado Lime Smoothie

1 cup almond milk

1 scoop vanilla protein powder

1/2 avocado

1 TBSP coconut flour

the juice of 1 lime

6 – 8 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.

I hope you take some time to make this smoothie, put your feet up, and dream of the beaches! It was thundering and lightening all night last night, so it’s not much of a beach day here today, but I am sure I was have fun anyhow! My parents are in town as my convocation is this weekend, so my Mom and I have a day of shopping planned! :D

That might sound even better than a day at the beach to me! If you know me, you know I’m quite the shopaholic ;)

Have a great day lovies and don’t forget that today is the last day to enter the Buff Band giveaway and submit high fives for tomorrow’s High Five Friday! :D It’s the 70th HFF, so help me make it BIG!

What’s your favourite way to eat avocado? Have you tried using it in a smoothie yet? If so, what’s your favourite avocado smoothie recipe?

Linz @ Itz Linz June 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM

oh my gosh i have all of these ingredients. i think i’m going to try to make it RIGHT NOW for breakfast!!!!

Meg June 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM

hahahahaha LINZ! You’re the best! Send me a pic to let me know what you think! It’s absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!

IHeartVegetables June 13, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I looooove avocados! My boyfriend is allergic to them, but since he’s been taking seasonal allergy meds, he’s able to eat them right now! We’re eating TONS!

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM

WOW! Lucky him haha I couldn’t imagine my life without avocado ;)

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I love avocados! Such a great idea to put them in a smoothie. I’ll have to try this for sure!

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Let me know when you do pretty girl :D

Jo @ Living Mint Green June 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I love the inclusion of coconut flour in this – I’m a huge fan of lime smoothies but always do a banana base. I need to replenish my coconut flour supply so I can make this! xoxo

Megan @ runningonajava June 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

It’s official, I definitely need to make one of these. I eat avocado just about every day and my mom calls me an avocado freak! I think the texture of it would be perfect for a smoothie – and I’m willing to give it a try!

Kim Perry June 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

You just reminded me I need to make those scones!! And that smoothie looks sooo creamy!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I love avocado’s too but never remember to buy them! I think I need to buy some and give this a go!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Avocados are simply amazing! They are definitely one of my favorite foods :). I LOVE guacamole, and avocado toast with a little sea salt is one of my go-to breakfast right now.

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Avocado toast is THE BEST :D

Lindsey June 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Love, love avocado. I like it on sandwiches the best, way better than other sauces/spreads, it is right up there with hummus for me. On toast with some sea salt is great too.
I have not tried it in a smoothie yet but want to, I need to get on it ;)
Enjoy shopping today!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles June 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I’m not a fan of cottage cheese (I can never stomach the texture), but your avocado cottage cheese sounds and looks fantastic! I love putting avocados in smoothies–they make them SO creamy!

(Also, funny coinky-dink: I have a guest post lined up for today about different ways you can use avocados!)

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Haha how ironic! Give the avocado cottage cheese a try! You’d never know it’s cottage cheese cause it’s blended up :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I’m so glad you tried avocado in a smoothie! It’s my favorite ingredient to add for creaminess! And everytime you make those scones I smile. :)

You’re going to LOVE this week’s #strangebutgood recipe!!!

Clair June 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I love avocado in a smoothie! Have you ever made avocado pudding? You strike me as more of a savoury-food gal. I love my green smoothies with cocoa powder and honey. Reminds me… I need some groceries today! ;)

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I am more of a savoury food girl ;) But I do make avocado pudding from time to time :) There are so many different recipes for it!!

Beautygloss June 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I love avocados, too! My favourite combination is 1/2 avocado + 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder + 1 tablespoon of peanut butter + 1/2 cup of coconut milk – all blended together, lovely! :D Your recipe looks fantastic, too, I will give it a try tomorrow :)

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM

oh that sounds great :) did you end up trying this? :D

De @ Cooking for the Other Half June 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ahhhhhh that looks awesome. I can’t wait to try it! I also eat avocados constantly, in any form, with anything, so I am sure I will enjoy this recipe.

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I bet you will De :D

Elizabeth June 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Avocado is AHmazing in smoothies! My favorite is 1 cup almond milk, 1 scp chocolate protein powder, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups spinach………so, so, SO delicious!! Honest to gosh tastes like a milk-shake and it’s the avocado that makes it so creamy!

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I will have to try your recipe! Thanks Elizabeth!

purelytwins June 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

we love avocados in all ways! they make the best base for puddings and thick smoothies :)
YUM

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits June 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I’m definitely an avo lover too! I love to grill mine with a little olive oil and then add hot sauce! So good!

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I still have yet to grill mine!

Melissa June 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I’m guessing your goal with the coconut flour is to add coconut flavor (and perhaps thickness)…you know you could easily achieve the same flavor and consistency with coconut oil, coconut flakes, or coconut milk (from a can), or some combination thereof. I mention it only because you were talking about making gains the other day. 1 TBSP of coconut flour isn’t really providing you as many good calories as say, the oil or milk would.

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Thanks for your suggestions Melissa, but I’m doing quite well diet wise.

Brittany June 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Love this post — because I LOVE avocado too!! Especially on toast with fried eggs and hot sauce.
The smoothie name is very cute and I definitely will try making it sometime :)

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Please do :D

Colleen June 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Do you eat peanut butter? It’s so good in smoothies!

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I prefer ALL other nut butters above pb, but I do eat it. But yes, nut butter in smoothies is great.

Kait @ChickadeeSays June 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I’ve recently been getting into smoothies more and love avocado- this seems like a must-try!

xx Kait

Meg June 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

It is a must try! This is a recipe of mine that I crave constantly

Kierston @candyfit June 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yum! I love avocado too!

I love adding lemon, garlic salt and pepper to them. So yummmmm.