hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

My First Avocado Smoothie

June 13, 2013 | Eat, Food, Strange But Good | 37 Comments

Avocado, how I love thee!

I eat them plain…

on toast…

in my sandwiches

and wraps

on salads

or on fish

or as a simple side dish!

Avocado is necessary when whipping cottage cheese to make it over-the-top-delicious! (recipe here)

Avocado is also necessary when making guacamole or Laura’s delicious Blood Orange and Avocado Scones (which I must admit, I’ve made more than 10 times… They are that amazing!)

And I’ve only recently discovered that avocado is necessary when making a delicious smoothie, too! :D

Strange, but good? I think so ;)

sprint2table-strangebutgood-GREEN-2

I’ve been hearing about avocado smoothies for a while now, but hadn’t tried one until this past weekend. I was recipe experimenting and on my first go at it was more than successful!

The very first avocado smoothie I’ve ever made turned out to be a big winner and I’d feel bad if I kept this delicious recipe a secret from all of you!

It’s perfect for a light snack mid morning or afternoon and it’s even more perfect for the summer season as the flavours remind me of being on a beach!

Coco-cado Lime Smoothie

1 cup almond milk

1 scoop vanilla protein powder

1/2 avocado

1 TBSP coconut flour

the juice of 1 lime

6 – 8 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.

I hope you take some time to make this smoothie, put your feet up, and dream of the beaches! It was thundering and lightening all night last night, so it’s not much of a beach day here today, but I am sure I was have fun anyhow! My parents are in town as my convocation is this weekend, so my Mom and I have a day of shopping planned! :D

That might sound even better than a day at the beach to me! If you know me, you know I’m quite the shopaholic ;)

Have a great day lovies and don’t forget that today is the last day to enter the Buff Band giveaway and submit high fives for tomorrow’s High Five Friday! :D It’s the 70th HFF, so help me make it BIG!

What’s your favourite way to eat avocado? Have you tried using it in a smoothie yet? If so, what’s your favourite avocado smoothie recipe?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

37 Comments

Linz @ Itz Linz

June 13, 2013

oh my gosh i have all of these ingredients. i think i’m going to try to make it RIGHT NOW for breakfast!!!!

June 13, 2013

hahahahaha LINZ! You’re the best! Send me a pic to let me know what you think! It’s absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!

IHeartVegetables

June 13, 2013

I looooove avocados! My boyfriend is allergic to them, but since he’s been taking seasonal allergy meds, he’s able to eat them right now! We’re eating TONS!

June 18, 2013

WOW! Lucky him haha I couldn’t imagine my life without avocado ;)

I love avocados! Such a great idea to put them in a smoothie. I’ll have to try this for sure!

June 18, 2013

Let me know when you do pretty girl :D

Jo @ Living Mint Green

June 13, 2013

I love the inclusion of coconut flour in this – I’m a huge fan of lime smoothies but always do a banana base. I need to replenish my coconut flour supply so I can make this! xoxo

Megan @ runningonajava

June 13, 2013

It’s official, I definitely need to make one of these. I eat avocado just about every day and my mom calls me an avocado freak! I think the texture of it would be perfect for a smoothie – and I’m willing to give it a try!

Kim Perry

June 13, 2013

You just reminded me I need to make those scones!! And that smoothie looks sooo creamy!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

June 13, 2013

I love avocado’s too but never remember to buy them! I think I need to buy some and give this a go!

Avocados are simply amazing! They are definitely one of my favorite foods :). I LOVE guacamole, and avocado toast with a little sea salt is one of my go-to breakfast right now.

Avocado toast is THE BEST :D

Lindsey

June 13, 2013

Love, love avocado. I like it on sandwiches the best, way better than other sauces/spreads, it is right up there with hummus for me. On toast with some sea salt is great too.
    I have not tried it in a smoothie yet but want to, I need to get on it ;)
    Enjoy shopping today!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles

June 13, 2013

I’m not a fan of cottage cheese (I can never stomach the texture), but your avocado cottage cheese sounds and looks fantastic! I love putting avocados in smoothies–they make them SO creamy!

(Also, funny coinky-dink: I have a guest post lined up for today about different ways you can use avocados!)

June 18, 2013

Haha how ironic! Give the avocado cottage cheese a try! You’d never know it’s cottage cheese cause it’s blended up :)

I’m so glad you tried avocado in a smoothie! It’s my favorite ingredient to add for creaminess! And everytime you make those scones I smile. :)

You’re going to LOVE this week’s #strangebutgood recipe!!!

Clair

June 13, 2013

I love avocado in a smoothie! Have you ever made avocado pudding? You strike me as more of a savoury-food gal. I love my green smoothies with cocoa powder and honey. Reminds me… I need some groceries today! ;)

June 18, 2013

I am more of a savoury food girl ;) But I do make avocado pudding from time to time :) There are so many different recipes for it!!

Beautygloss

June 13, 2013

I love avocados, too! My favourite combination is 1/2 avocado + 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder + 1 tablespoon of peanut butter + 1/2 cup of coconut milk – all blended together, lovely! :D Your recipe looks fantastic, too, I will give it a try tomorrow :)

June 18, 2013

oh that sounds great :) did you end up trying this? :D

Ahhhhhh that looks awesome. I can’t wait to try it! I also eat avocados constantly, in any form, with anything, so I am sure I will enjoy this recipe.

I bet you will De :D

Elizabeth

June 13, 2013

Avocado is AHmazing in smoothies! My favorite is 1 cup almond milk, 1 scp chocolate protein powder, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups spinach………so, so, SO delicious!! Honest to gosh tastes like a milk-shake and it’s the avocado that makes it so creamy!

June 18, 2013

I will have to try your recipe! Thanks Elizabeth!

purelytwins

June 13, 2013

we love avocados in all ways! they make the best base for puddings and thick smoothies :)
    YUM

I’m definitely an avo lover too! I love to grill mine with a little olive oil and then add hot sauce! So good!

June 18, 2013

I still have yet to grill mine!

Melissa

June 13, 2013

I’m guessing your goal with the coconut flour is to add coconut flavor (and perhaps thickness)…you know you could easily achieve the same flavor and consistency with coconut oil, coconut flakes, or coconut milk (from a can), or some combination thereof. I mention it only because you were talking about making gains the other day. 1 TBSP of coconut flour isn’t really providing you as many good calories as say, the oil or milk would.

June 18, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions Melissa, but I’m doing quite well diet wise.

Brittany

June 13, 2013

Love this post — because I LOVE avocado too!! Especially on toast with fried eggs and hot sauce.
    The smoothie name is very cute and I definitely will try making it sometime :)

Colleen

June 14, 2013

Do you eat peanut butter? It’s so good in smoothies!

June 18, 2013

I prefer ALL other nut butters above pb, but I do eat it. But yes, nut butter in smoothies is great.

Kait @ChickadeeSays

June 17, 2013

I’ve recently been getting into smoothies more and love avocado- this seems like a must-try!

xx Kait

June 18, 2013

It is a must try! This is a recipe of mine that I crave constantly

Kierston @candyfit

June 21, 2013

Yum! I love avocado too!

I love adding lemon, garlic salt and pepper to them. So yummmmm.

23. Pingback: Strange But Good Smoothie Add Ins