My Undergrad

by Meg on June 25, 2013

So now that I’ve graduated from Brescia University College with a Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition, I would like to talk to you about my past four years of university and what I have planned for my future.

Today we’ll start with reflecting back on my undergrad…

999675_10152925647520497_1548600975_n

The picture above shows me on the left during my first ever visit to London, Ontario and to Brescia. I attended orientation in July 2010 and fell completely and utterly in love with Brescia during the first few moments I was there.

I knew it was the school for me.

The picture of me on the right is me on my graduation, June 2013. Although I am happy to be done my undergrad and hold a Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition, I will definitely be missing Brescia. In fact, I already do!

My undergrad was great! I did my first year of the four in Saskatchewan through the University of Saskatchewan, but realized after completing my first year that I needed some adventure, which is why I moved 2,473 kilometres away from home.

I also really wanted to get my degree in Food and Nutrition and Brescia offered a program that pulled me in, so I made London my home for the last three years of my undergrad.

All three years of my schooling that took place at Brescia were incredible – better than I could have ever imagined! I loved all of my professors, formed wonderful relationships with them as well as my classmates, and I became very involved in student council and other nutrition-related associations such as SHEA, LHEA, and OHEA.

167017_10150092484769736_1378702_n

I was even crowned Brescia Princess during my first year!

Brescia was a lot of fun. It definitely enhanced my confidence and taught me that I am actually capable of anything I set my mind to.

Brescia taught me to dream big and never back down. Even if my dreams seem a bit scary and too big…

Not only was Brescia fun, though. The classes were great, too! Obviously, my first few years were very geared towards nutrition and didn’t allow for too much specialization; however, once the years went on we were able to branch off and take classes about areas of dietetics that interested us most!

For me, these areas were Food Production as well as Community. Community was my all time favourite, though.

I took Community Nutrition as part of my module during my third year and then I went on to take Community 2 and Community 3 during my fourth and last year.

Community Nutrition focused a lot on health promotion as well as how to develop programs and implement them. For an example, my professor for community nutrition created a program called Nutrition Ignition and is implementing it into elementary schools among London. I was fortunate enough to be a part of this program over the course of this past school year.

Overall, I loved the Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition program offered by Brescia and I would never change the way I went about getting my undergrad. It wasn’t easy (hello, Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry!), but like I said – I would never change what I studied or did.

However, when it came time to apply for dietetic internships this year to become a Registered Dietitian I did not feel ready nor did I feel interested.

Despite my long time dream of becoming a Registered Dietitian, I could not motivate myself to apply for internships.

I was not at all interested in clinical dietetics nor did I feel ready to complete an internship.

I felt, and still currently feel, that I need to know more. I need to learn more, study more, and become more confident in the field of nutrition.

Therefore, I did not apply for internships and began to look for other programs I could take this coming school year in order to learn more so I could feel more competent when the time to give nutritional advice does come.

I will leave this story here for now and continue on tomorrow :)

Have a great day! Love always,

What did you go to school for? Did you enjoy your undergrad? What were your favourite classes? Would you ever be interested in taking food and nutrition in university?

Molly June 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I am so glad that you attended Brescia as I got to meet you. What a mature decision in waiting to find your “spark” before becoming an RD. You are still so young so there is no harm in waiting to finalize your decision. Can’t wait to see what you have in store. Congratulations again on convocation!

Alyssa @ Road to RD June 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I applied to (and was accepted!) to a dietetic internship this year because I felt it was necessary to be able to accomplish my long term goal of a private practice. The professors at my school didn’t really tell us other options besides an internship, so that was a big reason too. I’m sure there are plenty of other routes to go, and I’m interested to hear what yours is!

Brittany@twosaucysisters June 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Aaaahh Meg I am so excited to hear what plans you have in store! Congrats, girl! xo

Beth June 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

What a wonderful experience you had at college. Yes, graduating and leaving is bitter sweet. I remember the feelings.

Do you not feel prepared to do an internship because the program didn’t prepare you enough?

Looking forward to reading part 2!

Amanda @Fitforgloryfoundbygrace June 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

So cool! Nutrition is one of those majors I could have seen myself in- So I’m excited to see what you do with it! Congratulations! :)

Lisa June 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

So proud of you lovely! I’m so glad that your school taught you so much about life and that you should always dream big, never let anything stop you.
Can’t wait to hear what’s next to come!
And yah, my school is and was all over the place. I still don’t know exactlyyy what I want to do so I’m kind of floating around for now until I figure it out.

Caitlin June 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM

i had no idea you were the brescia princess. ADORABLE!
i loved my undergrad experience. i actually took nutrition my senior year as a fun elective because i was so interested in it. i really enjoyed the class and if i ever went back to school for anything it’d probably be nutrition!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

So proud of you! My favorite class is undergrad we talked about TOURING and my professor used REAL-life examples/contracts to make his own text book so we could get a real understanding. It was really cool and he was super knowledgeable!

Corinne June 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wow! Wish I attended Brescia! What type of internships could you do? Are they supervised? I ask because I wonder if you’re not alone in how you feel, and if internships are designed to cater to this. In my field (pharmacy) that is the case. Uni gives you the foundation, and the internship sets you up for a life of consecutive practice and learning/studying. Xx

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life June 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I think it’s so great that you are choosing to continue learning. I wish more professionals did that! Any way, congrats on your graduation!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I did a Bachelor of Business specialising in Marketing but have ended up as an IT Consultant but in my role I still use my marketing skills and surprisingly the business stuff I learnt too. Can’t wait to hear what you’ve decided to take up next.

IHeartVegetables June 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I kind of wish I’d studied something about nutrition… but I did marketing. I like my job now so I guess it all worked out!

Hayley June 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Reflecting back on your undergraduate years is such a great way to see how far you have come! Those years of education and self-discovery are priceless! Sounds like following your heart has and will continue to serve you well :) Can’t wait to hear what comes next for you!

purelytwins June 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Brescia sounds like a lovely school! we are again so proud and happy for you! whatever you do – you will do amazing things because you are an amazing person!!! HUGS

Lucie June 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM

This all sounds so great and I am so happy for you that you had the chance to study in Brescia. We have great universities here in Switzerland, though the programs are very limited and we definitely don’t have a study program that is so varied and professional in food and nutrition.
I studied Social Work and worked in poor areas in the Philippines and Germany. I absolutely loved it.

calee June 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

oh man, college is the best time. :) it sounds like you had an amazing experience! I had the same feeling as you did when i graduated — I wanted more. But in my field it’s more beneficial to get some real-world full-time work experience before going to grad school, so that’s what I did.

I really wish that I knew about our 5-year diet and exercise program at Iowa State University (where I work) when I went to school. I went for graphic design, which I like, and am doing a masters in. But if I could do it all over again, I would have done the diet and exercise program b/c you could get a masters in 5 years, and you would have the training to be an RD, a personal trainer, or a physical therapist (among other things).

char eats greens June 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It’s great that you know what you want girl!! I’m still unsure and I’m 27 (and in my second undergrad degree!). Sometimes I worry that I WON’T get accepted for an internship next fall, but hey, a lot can change in a year. And maybe by then I won’t even want to apply. I just know that I love nutrition and I love Guelph’s version of it. This year should be a good one for me – it’s all nutrition focused and no more (like you said) biochem (blah!) and prereqs.

Enjoy your time figuring out what you what to do in the future :)

Ali July 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

yay for more study!! Every day I learn something new – and im not even studying. Yes I’m working – but I still do research and still learn something new….

I studied Public relations and journalism and my favourite subjects … wow i cant even remember it was that long ago!! I was interested in online/website stuff- but heck Facebook didn’t even exist when I was at uni!