hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Strange But Good Smoothie Add Ins

July 11, 2013 | Eat, Food, Strange But Good | 42 Comments

As I was lying in bed this morning I was thinking about how much I’ve been loving smoothies lately. Clearly my addiction has to do with the hot weather we’ve been getting lately (did I mention yesterday was insanely hot? Think over 40 degrees C – that’s over 104 degrees for you who use Fahrenheit), but then I realized that all the smoothies I’ve been loving the most lately could be classified Strange But Good

So here is a small list of Strange But Good Smoothie Add Ins I’ve came up with this morning!

First came spinach, the good old “Green Monster Smoothie”

Not very strange to the majority reading this post today; however, still strange to a few… The above picture is almond milk, figs, spinach, and chocolate protein powder blended with ice.

Then I started adding raw oats to my smoothies. I like to call them my “Muscle Builder Smoothies

Again, I don’t think oats blended into my smoothies is “strange”, but that doesn’t mean at first I didn’t think it was a little odd… I wasn’t totally sold on Candice’s idea to add oats into my smoothies at first. I thought it would make them chalky or grimy, but to my surprise they just make my smoothies thicker! And who doesn’t like a thick smoothie? 😉

I love adding oats to my smoothies now! They’ve definitely become a “must have” item in my smoothies!

The third strange but good add in I’ve recently threw into my smoothie has been avocado. I had witnessed many other bloggers *cough* Lindsay *cough* adding this strange but good ingredient into their smoothies, but it took quite a while for me to do so. Despite my love for avocados (they’re one of my favourite foods), I didn’t know how I’d like it in my smoothie. I had heard some bloggers say if you put too much avocado it ruins the taste of the smoothie, so I became a bit leery. However, not too long ago I made my own smoothie with avocado.

The Coco-cado Lime Smoothie

And the most recent strange but good smoothie add in to me would have to be beets!

Beets, another one of my all time favourite foods, is my newest smoothie add in obsession! First of all frozen beets make my smoothies ultra thick and don’t alter the flavour too much; however, if you don’t like beets you may not like my beet smoothies because you can detect a little bit of that delicious beet flavour 😉

But second of all, look at that magnificent colour! Absolutely beautiful :)

Oh and I can’t go without mentioning beets are highly nutritious, too! They promote optimal health and provide you with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits as well as detoxification support.

Chocolate Beet Smoothie

1 c almond milk

1/2 c oats

1 c frozen beets

1 scoop chocolate protein powder

1 spoonful cocoa (optional)

Blend together until smooth and serve.

I think I’ve had this smoothie for the past week. I told you, I’m addicted.

What smoothie are you currently addicted to?

What are some strange but good smoothie add ins you would add to my list?

Have a great day and don’t forget about the Clif Bar Giveaway or High Five Friday tomorrow! I need submissions, so email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com :)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

July 11, 2013

Yummm! One of my all-time fave smoothies is Heather’s Red Velvet Cake Batter smoothie (at Kiss My Broccoli)- it’s A-MAZ-ING! You should definitely check it out! It’s very similar to the recipe you posted here :)

Katie @ Live Half Full

July 11, 2013

Ooh, beets and avocados sound like great additions! I’ve been playing around with flavored protein powders lately, but I also seem yo go back to my original Green Monster!!!

Linz @ Itz Linz

July 11, 2013

oooh i haven’t tried adding beets to smoothies yet! i do love beets so i bet i’d love this!!

Those all sound amazing! haha and the color of that beet one makes me want to have it and I’ve never been a huge fan of beets! But I AM a huge fan of pink 😉 I WILL be trying that one :)

July 30, 2013

let me know when you do lovie 😉

July 11, 2013

i am guessing you cook the beets before freezing?
    I MUST try this <3 yum yum yum!

July 30, 2013

i’ve tried frozen and not frozen :) both work great, but the shake gets thicker with frozen :)

I love avocad and beets in smoothies! I made almost the same one, but used orange too. Citrus and beets is the best. Actually, I did avocado and orange too once. Mmmm! Have you tried tofu in them yet? I love that creaminess!

Awesome Strange But Good addition. :)

July 30, 2013

i haven’t made a smoothie with tofu yet, but i have put tofu in a blender and made “mousse” i love that so much and it’s been like a year since i’ve made it! i ALWAYS do that :( i make recipes and forget about them :(

July 11, 2013

Those smoothies look delicious. I heard you, my mom still thinks “Green Smoothies” are weird despite me making them for going on three yeas now! I have yet to try oats or avocado, I always picture smoothies as “Fruit based” so even spinach was going out on a whim. Hm.. I might just have to try!

Whoa, I definitely did not see the beets add-in coming…but the color is GORGEOUS!

Kim Perry

July 11, 2013

Whoa! Love the pink beet smoothie! It’s so bright!!
    Do you buy frozen beets? Or freeze them yourself?

July 30, 2013

i boiled and froze them myself :)

July 11, 2013

You know I’m all about my Smoothies and these add ins are so my thing.
    I add raw oats and avocado allll the time, but haven’t branched out to beets yet. Now, I will be doing so…I’m thinking today.

July 30, 2013

let me know when you try it with beets :)

July 11, 2013

I always add avocado to my smoothies- so freaking delicious! I’ve never tried adding beets, but I absolutely love them, so I’m sure they would be a welcome addition!!

GiGi Eats Celebrities

July 11, 2013

These sounds bomb…….. When I made my smoothie (video)… I added spinach, egg whites, ketchup, mustard & maple syrup. Yep. Not so good! LMFAO!

July 11, 2013

Cleeearly you need to make a spinach, beet, avocado , oaty muscle builder, heehee :D.

Beets! I need to try that one. I didn’t even know you could buy frozen beets, I need to look for that – sounds like a lot less work than roasting them. :)

July 30, 2013

i froze them myself 😉

July 11, 2013

oh woman, you know i want to make this smoothie! and the lime one! must go pick up beets asap!! <3

July 30, 2013

let me know if you try any of my recipes 😀

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners

hhmmm…some interesting reciepes

Love the original green monster, especially with added frozen mango. Have you tried adding a pear to your smoothie? It is so delicious! I love beets in my salad, but I couldn’t get on board with them in my smoothie…maybe I just added too much. I’ll have to give it another try!

July 30, 2013

yes i love pear and ginger smoothies :)

July 11, 2013

I need to try the beet smoothie!!! Thanks for the link up babe!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

July 11, 2013

I’m yet to try adding oats. My fav smoothie is pretty simple: banana, peanut flour, almond milk, stevia and some yoghurt, simple but delicious :)

July 11, 2013

Can’t wait to try a beet smoothie!! They are so pretty:) I have been added oat bran to my smoothies, love the thick creamy texture it adds!

I love adding avocado to smoothies! It makes them so creamy and adds a good dose of healthy fats. I’ve never thought of using beets though – great idea! Pink just so happens to be my favorite color, so a pretty pink smoothie is a must-try! :)

I’ve tried so many things to make my smoothies better! Thankfully, the spinach is a good standby. I’ve never tried oats, but I might have to now! I love berries but unfortunately you need a fantastic blender to pulverize the seeds. A half of a nice tart apple adds a good flavor while thickening it up some!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

July 12, 2013

Haha I don’t know about those beets! I like them in my juicer but I’m not sure about my smoothies 😉 I LOVE the color though!

July 12, 2013

I love adding in Cottage cheese, Frozen bananas and Avocado… (Makes it so creamy!)

July 12, 2013

Meg, these all sound really delicious! I need to get more into smoothies but I’m having a freezer issue so ice does not live at my house at the moment. Makes it harder to do smoothies. Have a great day!

July 12, 2013

Oh my gosh why haven’t I tried beets in my smoothies?! Can you buy them cut up and frozen or did you cut and freeze them yourself? I can’t wait to have a hot pink shake very soon!!!

July 30, 2013

i froze them myself :)

Jody - Fit at 55

July 12, 2013

Looks delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had beets today!!!!

BEETS?! I guess it would be good since they are sweet! I love love love oats in my shakes!

I made a super green smoothie the other day with spinach, orange, roasted red peppers, and hemp protein. It was so savory, I wasn’t even sure I could call it a smoothie. :) I’ve heard peas are good, actually. [You definitely read my mind on the beets, though…I’ve got a can of them that I’ve been mulling over processing…]

July 30, 2013

yes pears are really good in smoothies especially with some ginger :)

Peter Magtibay

March 13, 2014

I’ve been having my smoothie crave lately, and as a resident in the Sonoran Desert of AZ, USA. I recently added a chunk of saguaro cactus to my smoothie (spikes removed) And it was very delectable!