hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

My Milkshake is Better than Yours

July 23, 2013 | Eat, Food, Strange But Good | 64 Comments

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,
And they’re like
It’s better than yours,
Damn right it’s better than yours,
I can teach you,
But I have to charge

Every time I hear or think of that song I think of one of my all time favourite movies, Mean Girls. Nothing beats it. I’m sure I’ve watched over 100 times and at one point I had every single line memorized.

But lately, that song has been stuck in my head. Not because I like it, but because I actually did make a milkshake better than yours 😉

With my current obsession to smoothies, I’ve been experimenting a lot with new combinations and ingredients, which led me to creating a new protein smoothie recipe that tastes better than any milkshake that I’ve tried before!

It’s thick like a milkshake, but packed with nutrition! The thickness comes from baked sweet potato, so this is this week’s Strange But Good recipe!

Sweet Potato Chocolate Milkshake

1 c milk of choice (I recommend coconut milk or almond milk)

1 c baked sweet potato chunks

1 scoop chocolate protein powder

6 ice cubes

water (I added approximately 1/2 c of water to get it to the consistency I wanted, but the amount of water you add is up to you!)

cocoa powder (optional – if you want even more of a chocolate flavour add some cocoa!)

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth! Enjoy :)

sprint2table-strangebutgood-GREEN-2

Do you have a strange but recipe to share with me this week?

Have you tried sweet potato in a smoothie before?

Who else loves Mean Girls as much as me!?

p.s. don’t forget about the giveaway for Handful bras/tank tops and High Five Friday! I need submissions! To submit, email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com :)

Have a great day!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

64 Comments

Linz @ Itz Linz

July 23, 2013

lol! i just laughed out loud when i got the email with your post title in it!! and sweet potato in a smoothie?!? hmmm #strangebutgood for sure! and uhhh jonny and i both love the movie mean girls… haha

July 28, 2013

i love that jonny loves the movie too!

Amanda @ Adventure Year

July 23, 2013

I would have NEVER thought to put baked sweet potato in a smoothie, but now that I think about it…the consistency makes sense! Love Mean Girls. I need to get a viewing in one of these days. Have an awesome day!

thanks Amanda :) I hope you try the smoothie <3

Katie

July 23, 2013

I have putting sweet potato in my smoothie…I would highly recommend this recipe to try out!!

I LOVE mean girls…It never gets old.

Strange item to put in smoothies…Zucchini!

July 28, 2013

mmmmmm that smoothie does look really delicious! thanks Katie :) and yes, zucchini is a strange add in however I have done it and love it :)

I looooove it! Sweet potato is one of my favorite smoothie ingredients. It tastes like and has the texture of pie with the right spices!

Lucie

July 23, 2013

Sweet Potato in a Smoothie – now that is definitely interesting! I can totally imagine that it tastes delicious. It certainly does LOOK delicious!!

Huh… sweet potato — now there’s something I would have never thought about – even though I love them!! I have protein smoothies for breakfast every morning — may definitely have to try this one now!!!

i think you should 😀

Kim Perry

July 23, 2013

oh em gee! Can’t wait to try this!! You should check out stuftmama’s sweet potato ice cream!!!! Strange but good 😉

July 28, 2013

you haaaaave to try this then let me know how you like it :) i think i might have a sweet potato ice cream recipe on my blog already?? lol i am going to go check that out now haha

Jody - Fit at 55

July 23, 2013

I think this sounds great!!!! I saw a sweet potato ice cream recipe on Dr. Oz that I have to search for – it sounded great too!

July 28, 2013

mmm that would be good! i guess Kristin from Stuft Mama has a recipe, too!

Cassie @RedLetterDaye

July 23, 2013

Ohhh. Does this taste like sweet potato, or does the chocolate mask it?

July 23, 2013

the chocolate masks it!! :) the sweet potato just makes it super thick :) yum!

Allison (Ms. Whirlwind)

July 23, 2013

It’s terrible how many times I’ve seen Mean Girls. It’s one of those movies where if I see it in the channel listings, I have to watch it. “Why are you so obsessed with me?”

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

July 23, 2013

Haha YUM! I love smoothies and shakes! I was out of almond milk this morning so I had to make my own almond milk, but I was determined to have a smoothie! hah!

July 23, 2013

HAHA that’s too funny girl! LOVE IT! P.s. you still have to text me about your teas 😀

oh I’m going to have to try this! Makes me wonder if mashed sweet potato could be a good substitute in baking. People always use avocado and I’m really allergic to them. Can’t wait to make this!

July 23, 2013

you HAVE to try it Amanda 😀 and yes! It’s great in baking! Just like pumpkin!

Yummo…sweet potato in a milk shake…. this, I’ve got to try!!

Molly

July 23, 2013

I have to admit that I was expecting some form of ice cream or even avocado but you threw a curve ball at me when you added in sweet potato. Yum! I’ll definitely have to try this sometime. As for Mean Girls I too when through a phase of admiring Lindsay Lohan both in that and Parent Trap aha.

July 28, 2013

let me know if you try it, love :) i think you will like it

I would never think to add sweet potatoes to a smoothie, but I am LOVING this idea! I am a sweet potato junkie :).

July 28, 2013

i hope you try it, hannah :)

Lisa

July 23, 2013

Haha, funny because I used to know EVERY line from that movie too. Clearly, I was a little too obsessed 😉
    Love that you added some sweet potato, I’ve tried pumpkin before but never a sweet potato. I like this idea.

July 28, 2013

you should try it since you love smoothies :)

Sweetly Fit

July 23, 2013

I’ve made this exact one before! It’s even better if you add in coconut oil/butter or almond butter. Mmmmm!

July 28, 2013

i will do that some time when it’s not post workout :) like maybe today! 😀 i definitely thought about adding pb/coconut/almond butter, so will have to since my girl does 😉

lindsay

July 23, 2013

you crack me up! you know i love this. Sweet potato anything is great and chocolate!

July 28, 2013

HAHA i am so happy you loved this :)

Emily

July 23, 2013

Sweet potato in a smoothie is something I’ve always been intrigued by but haven’t tried yet. I’m definitely bookmarking this! Yeeee!
    And I always think of Mean Girls when I hear “MilkShake” too- I swear that movie will never, ever get old!

July 28, 2013

let me know when you try this recipe :) i have a feeling you will love it 😉 i think i have had it every single day since i posted this recipe

Um, this sounds so DELICIOUS. I have never tried sweet potatoes in a smoothie, but I can’t wait to try it. I have been craving a milkshake like no other, and I bet that this will satisfy that craving. Would this also work with vanilla protein??

July 28, 2013

of course it would! i just liked the thought of chocolate and sweet potato :)

Love that song! I would never think to put sweet potato in my smoothie or milk shake but it sounds delicious! I do love sweet potatoes!

GiGi Eats Celebrities

July 24, 2013

You didn’t charge any of us anything for this recipe! 😉 Kelis would NOT be happy with you…. Until she drank this milkshake that is!

Hannah

July 24, 2013

yum!! Who knew sweet potatoes were so versatile:)

Oh wow! That is such a great idea. I love my sweet potatoes so I’ll definitely have to give this one a shot!

July 28, 2013

let me know when you do lovie :)

25. Pingback: Suprising Myself | brave hannah

I have had sweet potato in a milkshake before and I love it! It makes it so creamy and thick – my secret trick is using sweet potato or pumpkin in hot chocolate to give it the creamy texture without the cream.

mmmm what a great idea!

Kait @ChickadeeSays

July 24, 2013

I seriously laughed out loud at this title. And was totally singing the song and thinking of mean girls too! I’ve never tried sweet potato in a smoothie but I can see how it would taste delicious! Sweet and savory- works for me!

xx Kait

July 28, 2013

i always love your comments, Kait :)

Oh I love that you added sweet potato! If there’s one thing I’ve learned from blogging, you can throw anything in those! :)

July 28, 2013

HAHA I think I have learnt that from blogging, too :)

Deana

August 21, 2013

Made this shake today…. DELICIOUS!!!
    Thanks :)

October 21, 2013

YAY 😀

30. Pingback: ‘Almond Joy’ Black Bean Brownies [Vegan]

31. Pingback: The Sweet Potato | Strength and Sunshine

Ashley

October 21, 2013

This sounds great. Do you freeze the sweet potato chunks or do you just bake them then but then in the fridge.

October 21, 2013

i do both 😀 it turns out both ways 😀 when i created the recipe i didn’t even think of freezing them, but now i usually do 😀

33. Pingback: Sneaky Sweet Potato Chocolate Smoothie

34. Pingback: Best of 2013

35. Pingback: Vitamix Love and My Ever Best Recipe

Emily

January 24, 2014

Hi! What protein powder do you recommend for this. I am starting paleo real soon:)
    thanks!
    -Em

January 24, 2014

well, if you eat paleo you should focus on eating REAL foods and not protein powders! :) aaaaaand i do not follow paleo, soooooo this protein powder is not paleo :) it’s whey, which is dairy, which is not paleo :) if you’re looking for a paleo protein powder check out egg protein :) 😉 !

Emily

January 24, 2014

Oh okay. I thought you did do paleo;)
        We’ll i will choose to include natural powders in my diet, for I am an athlete and want to get addequate protein intake;) thanks anyway Meg!

Diana

July 6, 2014

I just made this and loved it. I had some fresh basil from the garden so I added it. It gave it nice twist.

July 6, 2014

that’s awesome! thanks for letting me know!

38. Pingback: A 6 Week Weight Lifting Program for You!