Why Do You Exercise?

by Meg on July 30, 2013

Today’s my last full day in Utah and it’s going to be a busy one jam packed with working out, coaching workouts, visiting friends, eating out, and shopping.

I’m still soaking it all in. Enjoying all of the moments and the many new memories and friends I’ve been making. So, today’s post won’t be long as long as usual as Candice and I have to be at GPP for the 9:30 WOD and then coach for the remainder of the morning, but I do want to slowly start recapping the GPP Intensive Training I attended Friday through Sunday. So, I’ll begin my recap in the exact same way Neil Anderson, the founder of GPP Fitness, began the first intensive training session on Friday evening…

Why Do You Exercise?

In order for Neil to begin explaining what GPP Fitness is and for us to be able to fully understand the meaning of GPP Fitness and it’s purpose we all answered the above question.

I will share the answers we gave Neil during the intensive tomorrow, but for now I want you to answer the question for me.

So tell me, why do you exercise?

Thank you for asking me your GPP Fitness related questions after yesterday’s post. I’ve been compiling all of them together into a Word document, so I can begin answering them for you in future posts. Would you prefer written posts or for me to answer your questions through video?

I’m really excited to start educating all of you on GPP Fitness and, hopefully, start coaching people through the workouts, too. I’m already coaching three people through the workouts, but would like to expand. I’m getting great feedback from my clients already and it’s so motivating!

This is a text message I received this morning from one of the ladies I have been coaching for the past month.

I was reminding my client about one of the most popular quotes taught at GPP Fitness, “You serve your workouts, your workouts don’t serve you!”

Reminding my client about that particular approach to fitness has really helped her honour her body and take rest days without feeling the guilt like she used to. I love seeing my clients progress and make such amazing changes to their lifestyle! It’s so motivating!

I’ll expand more on this famous quote we use at GPP Fitness as well as answer all of your questions you sent me yesterday. If you have more today please feel free to ask. Like I said, I’m compiling an ongoing list and want to answer all of your questions! :) Also, remember to tell me your preference to written vs. video posts!

Have a great day, loves!

p.s. don’t forget about High Five Friday! Email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com if you have a high five for yourself, which you most definitely should ;)

Linz @ Itz Linz July 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i like written posts better :) can’t wait to learn more from you – itz seriously SO awesome you are certified ah!

Kim Perry July 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Video responses would be fun!
To answer your question; I work out because I truly enjoy it. I like the rush I get before, during, and after a great workout. I love seeing the improvements I make over time. I feel powerful. I feel strong. I feel happy :) It gives me confidence– inside and outside of the gym. I enjoy learning new workouts and learning more about my body and what I am capable of. I workout to be a better version of myself. I workout to quench my thirst for competition (me being my only competitor)
Sorry for the long answer! Why do you workout Meg??

Meg July 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM

never apologize for a long answer :D i love your answer! I workout for confidence! It makes me feel so good about myself AND so I can do regular life activities easily :D

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Big congrats to you on getting GPP certified!!!

I exercise because I like to feel like a bad ass. ;)

Alexandra July 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’d like a mixture of blogs and videos explaining GPP fitness. And I work out for my mental health :)

Lisa July 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Have fun with your last day! It sounds like such a great time so far. Can’t wait to hear more and MAJOR congrats on getting GPP certified!
I love working out for myself, now that I’m a pilates instructor I’ve really realized the importance of working our for my body and myself and not focusing on what other people are doing. It’s been a blessing for me and it seems like it’s been a blessing for you to do this GPP certification as well. Congrats again love!

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I exercise to challenge my body & make myself stronger! :)

Sara July 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I’m dying to hear more about gpp! As for your answer format, I think I prefer written, because I retain more of what I’ve read than what I’ve heard. Thanks, Meg!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist July 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Whatever is easiest for you, m’dear. But I love a video now and then to mix things up, and “Ask Meg” sessions could be so cute ;)

Kylee @ Lifting in Lipstick July 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Tough question! It’s still very hard for me not to think of exercise on some level as something I do out of self-loathing, out of a desperate desire to change what I look like or who I am. I don’t know if that will ever stop being part of it. But since really getting into lifting, a lot of that has been overshadowed by how much I just love seeing my own progress, what my body can do, and just continually breaking through barriers that I thought I had set for myself. I love perfecting my technique. I love setting new PRs. I love learning new ways to approach the exercises I do.

Sorry about the novel :) Can’t wait to hear your answers, and congrats on getting certified!

Meg July 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

never apologize for a long comment :D i love them :D

Charissa July 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM

A vlog would be fun! :)

I love the pic of you and Bobbi! Ahh, totally wanted to wish myself into that photo!

Meg July 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

i wish you were with us too sweetie <3

Miss Polkadot July 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

That’s a great question and one I think we should ask ourselves regularly. Not because working out isn’t fantastic but because the motivation can change over time. I’ve learned that – at least for me – it’s easy to turn into an unhealthy one. As in feeling forced to work out despite being tired or injured and making my self-worth dependent on my workout. Other than that, though, I work out to relax, clear my mind, replenish my creativity, … It’d almost be easier to say why I don’t work out :).
Oh, also: I’d prefer written posts as it’s easier to reread answers you might want to hear again than search for them in a video.

lindsay July 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

congrats woman! you are fueling other with life, love, and fitness! that’s amazing. Wish we could all be there. Hugs!

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I work out for me time…to get my head to body healthy

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I work out for me time…to get my head and body healthy

Meaghan July 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I enjoy your written responses, but a video response would be a nice change up for sure.
Now to answer your question that you posed above; I exercise to stay healthy and feel good about myself. I spent most of my young years sitting, watching tv and hanging out with friends, I was never athletic and I NEVER exercised. I only started about 5 years ago exercising, eating right and exploring my health, but I’ve come such a long way, I lost over 50lbs and have made my life about doing what’s best for myself inner being and physical body. I have days where I wish I didn’t have to go to the gym to attain the goals that I’ve set out but truly, I never regret a workout, I always regret not working out. I feel strong, healthy, happy after a good workout, but at the end of the day I exercise to stay healthy not because I necessarily LOVE it. lol
Congrats again on your certification, I think that is amazing to come this far in such a short period of time. And to have clients to coach already as well, truly ambitious and shows where your passion lies. <3

Meg July 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM

thanks for the great response, Meaghan! Loved hearing about your fitness journey!!

Amy July 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

What a great question, Meg! It’s something I sometimes struggle with. Do I exercise because I love the endorphins and the feeling afterwards? Do I exercise so I can eat a little more chocolate? Do I exercise because the doctors say we should to stay healthy? Do I exercise to feel stronger?

While most of the time it’s the first reason, I think that each plays a little part in my entire answer! :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Can’t wait to hear more about it, and I can’t wait for our chat!!!

Jordyn July 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I love this question and it can be tough to answer for me because I have gone through alot these past few years. I used to workout (after quitting gymnastics due to injury) to stay skinny and I would always think it would allow me to eat throughout the day. However, eventhough I worked out, I did not feed my body the way it should have been fed. I worked out and worked out and would go into each workout, dreading the work that had to be done, but I knew if I didn’t, I would think I would get fat.
Now, I workout because I thoroughly enjoy it! The feeling of empowerment after making a heavy lift if AMAZING! It is even better when you have a goal to work towards! GO BIG AND LIFT BIG! :)

purelytwins July 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

can’t wait to hear more!!! so excited for you!!!
xoxo

Kelsey Yoki July 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I work out to keep the happy flowing and keep the stress away. =)

Neil July 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Love having you at our place over the last few days and getting to know you better. You are a kind and gifted human. Fun to talk to you.

I workout so that I can lead a richer, fuller live. One not limited by capacity and/or self-induced disease.

Cait @ PieceOfCait July 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I think doing a video would be perfect!

I workout because I feel strong & healthy. Its an amazing combo.