Why GPP Makes Sense For Me

by Meg on August 1, 2013

Now that you have a better understanding of what GPP is, I wanted to share with you why it is a perfect fit for me and why it might be the perfect fit for you, too.

If you had asked me why I exercised a year ago I would have said, “to build confidence, improve my mental health, and gain strength” But, I know I would have also said, “to build muscle” and I had a pretty clear imagine in mind of how exactly I wanted my body to look.

So, to achieve that “perfect” physique I had pictured in my mind, I began to workout in a way that I thought would get me that look I so badly wanted. I started to exclude aspects of fitness such as cardiovascular endurance and speed and began to focus heavily on strength.

My approach to fitness was out of balance and so was my health. I was focusing too much on my physical health and not enough on the other five aspects:

-       social
-       emotional
-       mental
-       spiritual
-       fiscal

and as we learnt yesterday, we cannot be optimally healthy if the six aspects of our health are out of balance.

That’s where my problem lied. I wasn’t focusing on health. Sure, I exercised to gain confidence, which feeds into my mental health; however, my end goal was not optimal health. Instead, my ultimate end goal had to do with my physical appearance. Like I said, I was paying too much attention to the physical aspect.

But then I learnt about GPP and something clicked. I think it was when Neil explained GPP’s goal of achieving optimal health for the first time to me. I don’t think I had ever thought about just focusing on my health before. There was always a physical aspect I was focusing too much on, which was preventing me from reaching optimal health, but having optimal health as your one and only goal make so much sense.

Why does one need perfectly sculpted shoulders or a chiseled six pack?

Why does one need to be the fittest person on Earth? Or the fastest?

Why?

Just to say you are?

Once I realized that I never wanted to be the fittest person on Earth or be known for having the most muscle, making optimal health my one and only goal so I could be the best version of me possible and live a rich and beneficial life made so much sense to me. So, I began doing GPP WOD’s and now my training is consistent with my goal, optimal health, and I am a much happier person because of it. I’m learning to love myself for who I am and live a healthy life that is not focused on physical appearance, but rather just being healthy.

Health is only a six-letter word, but it carries so much impact and meaning. It’s probably my favourite word – it truly means so much to me and I am grateful that GPP is helping me achieve my optimal state of health.

If you are interested in achieving optimal health and wanting to reap the benefits of life, I encourage you to look more into GPP Fitness. Their website provides you with all of the information you need to know about it/how to get started and I’m here to support you, too!

I’m not trying to be preachy or say GPP Fitness is the only type of exercise to do because it’s not. As we all know there are many types of fitness out there and everyone will have their own perfect fit; however, if you are like me and just want to achieve optimal health above all else, GPP Fitness might just be your perfect fit :)

As always, if you have anymore questions please ask me in the comment section below or shoot me an email at adashofmeg@gmail.com!

Tomorrow is High Five Friday, so we’ll be taking a break on GPP related posts to celebrate everyone’s accomplishments from this past week! :) I hope you’re excited as I am and if you have a high five that you haven’t told me about yet please email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com so I can feature you in tomorrow’s post! :)

Is your current training routine helping you achieve your ultimate goal? Could your 6 aspects of health be in better balance?

See you tomorrow with High Five Friday #77! :)

Love,

Amanda @Fitforgloryfoundbygrace August 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

love this!! and GPP! I was the far opposite of you and I used to ONLY run. no strength. Now I try to keep a better balance :) But overall I love the idea of focusing on optimal health because so many people (including myself) are so invested in trying to look a particular way that their health can be impacted in a negative way by it! I, myself am still working on this. Great post :)

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

thanks amanda :)

Kelsey Yoki August 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think starting CrossFit is getting me on that path. I know there are the CF Games and countless competitions, but overall, it is just challenging me in ways I never thought possible. I’m more proud of my body than I have ever been and I think it is starting to show in other aspects of my life.

Hannah August 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I thought the main reason you originally stopped doing cardio was to gain weight – for health reasons, not for appearances. But have only been following the blog since the start of this year, so perhaps I got that wrong? Still, am starting to find the direction of your blog a little confusing – the jump from trying to gain weight, working with a dietician, to intuitive eating, to suddenly starting a whole new (and very intense) fitness regime. Have your goals changed, and if so why? Are you still seeing your dietician? Did you have to modify your diet since starting GPP Fitness? Are you still focused on eating disorder recovery and learning to eat previously ‘forbidden’ foods? Would be great to see a ‘what I ate’ post at some point (i.e. a full day), I’m sure lots of people find those inspiring, as there are many other people who are also struggling to gain weight and to overcome past ED behaviours. I do realise this is your personal blog, and you obviously post what you want, but there are clearly a lot of people who read it for inspiration, not least because you are yourself educated in nutrition and promote a ‘healthy’ lifestyle.

Kinni August 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I’m also curious about this, as I know you were right into intuitive eating for a while there, but the nutrition information on the GPP website seems to be more about counting calories (e.g the 1200 cal/day plan). Do you advocate the GPP nutrition approach? How does this fit in with your ethos about intuitive eating?

maria August 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Going to jump in here to say that GPP does not advocate on way of eating over another and does not require anyone to count calories. The calorie counting information on the website is geared towards those looking to lose weight. You can most certainly eat intuitively and do GPP. They are a great match!

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

thanks maria xo

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Hi Kinni,

I had a goal for a very long time to let go of a meal plan and start eating intuitively (ie. just eating normally and living my life) I achieved this goal quite a few months ago and haven’t looked back. I will never look back. A meal plan does not satisfy my life. It does not provide me with the happiness I have right now. I have learnt to eat without a meal plan and know how to just “live” now. So, no… I don’t follow any of the diets on GPP. I believe everyone should find what works for them and do that.

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Hi Hannah,

I think I stated in this post that my goals have changed. I am now just focusing solely on health and no longer putting such an emphasis on my appearance as I realize that appearance shouldn’t have such importance in my life.

As far as my eating goes, I am not in “ED recovery?” I no longer have an ED and I have been eating intuitively (i.e. just eating and living) ever since I’ve mentioned intuitive eating on my blog. I saw an RD a few times, but realized I was much beyond the help she provided me (i.e. I know what my body needs and I really wasn’t gaining anything from seeing an RD).

I would post a full day of eating, but as I eat differently day by day it varies very much. It’s all about finding what is right for you and I’ve personally come along way over the past few months and have a very good grasp on what works for me now and, yes, that is intuitive eating – simply just living my life and eating all the foods that I want to eat. I have no more “forbidden” foods as you mentioned..

Linz @ Itz Linz August 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

i love how gpp incorporates so many aspects of health… not just the physical aspect like you mentioned!

elyse August 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I’m so interested in starting a program like this! Meg, did you randomly start doing them from home/the gym one day? Any advice, tips, etc., for those who want to start GPP?

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

i learnt about gpp in may and have been doing the WOD’s at my local gym and at home every since :)

Amanda @runtothefinish August 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

i love that this program has struck a chord with you!! So glad you had a weekend to just embrace it even further, you are beautiful inside and out!

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

thanks amanda xoxo i love u

Aditi August 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

This sounds great – but can you explain what the “fiscal” aspect of your health is?

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

fiscal = financial :) it’s just another aspect of health :)

Aditi August 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

No, I get what the word “fiscal” means, I was just hoping you would explain how it relates to health through this whole GPP program. Everything just seems so vague to me.

Michelle @ 3cheaprunners August 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

It’s amagize how “fitness” can completly transform our lives, opinions and values

Allison August 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM

One thing I don’t understand about GPP fitness is how many of the workouts you should do per week?

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

ok, so I’ll talk more about this on tuesday, but if you do the WOD’s mon – fri that is PERFECT :)

saturday is optional and sunday is a rest day :) BUT having said that… if you can’t do all WOD’s throughout mon – fri THAT IS OK TOO! Because GPP is more about promoting HEALTH which means you need to satisfy health in other areas of your life, too! SO let’s say on tuesday you have a date with your best friend and can’t do a workout you shouldn’t feel bad because you are satisfying your social and emotional health by having the date with your friend :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I love this!! One of the reasons I actually liked my new coach for the competition is she wants to train her clients to compete while being healthy – not doing anything that could compromise your health (which is unfortunately common!). She wants you to be able to take what you learn and apply it to your life, so that it’s not just a one-time deal. I’ve always liked that about GPP too – it’s about your life!

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

wow what an amazing coach! u need to tell me more girl xoxo

Kylee @ Lifting in Lipstick August 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Concentrating on health as a whole and not just on the physical aspect (what to do to look like how I want to look) is so important and definitely not something I’ve ever really taken seriously before. It’s still a challenge, but something I’m trying to work on!

Emily August 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I got goosebumps reading this post because I can relate so much and I’m SO proud of how far you’ve come! GPP truly sounds like the perfect type of exercise for you and I can’t wait to see everything that you accomplish now that you’re certified! <3

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

thanks em :)

sloanepitman August 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

LOVE this! Your relationship with health and fitness continues to transform and change for the better. I’m so proud of you. You are SO healthy and its so great to see how happy you are. I’m glad you introduced me to GPP as well–I’m in love!

LOVE YOU!

Meg August 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

thanks sis :) i am in love with it too and am so happy you got to come to gpp. they love you there. i hope you go back xoxo

Kat August 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thanks for teaching me about this new concept! I am so new to it and this post helped to break ish down for me! ;)

Emily D. August 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM

As always, your health journey continues to inspire me! My life has completely transformed since I started focusing on ‘optimum wellness and vitality’ rather than looks and weight. I just started reading “Intuitive Eating”, and am excited about letting go of a lot of rigidity/rituals and finding more balance!

P.S. How tall are you?

Meg August 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

so happy i continue to inspire you ;) that’s really sweet of you to say <3 i am five foot two