GPP Q & A

by Meg on August 6, 2013

Now that I’ve answered the two most common questions about GPP:

What is GPP?

What is the difference between GPP and CrossFit?

I have compiled the remaining questions I’ve received into a Q&A post for easy reading! Enjoy! :)

Was there written material to read for the GPP Intensive Training?

There was no written material given to us for the GPP Fitness Intensive Training. We were lectured my Neil Anderson, the founder of GPP Fitness, and took notes while he spoke. There were outlines of the lectures and the entire intensive training available for us to have afterward. Videos were also recorded of each lecture.

Was there a practical/theoretical test for the GPP Intensive Training?

There were no written exams during the GPP Fitness Intensive Training. We were taught the material by Neil Anderson, took notes, and then performed what he taught us (ie. proper squat form, how to conduct a WOD, etc.), and then we taught what we learnt to others. The learn, do, teach method was very beneficial and allowed us to have a hands on learning experience, so we were able and confident in ourselves when the time came to coach a GPP WOD on our own.

Who certifies the GPP Intensive Training?

GPP Fitness is copyrighted, so it is a certification in itself.

Were there pre-requisites needed in order to attend the GPP Intensive Training?

There were no pre-requisites required in order to attend and complete the GPP Intensive Training; however, all who attended the intensive training were doing GPP WOD’s prior to attending.

What is the cost of GPP WOD’s?

There is no cost to view the WOD’s on the GPP Fitness website. Simply go to gppfitness.com and view all of their WOD’s.

Where can I see the GPP WOD’s?

The WOD’s are posted on the Home page of the GPP Fitness website every evening before the day of the WOD, so you are able to view your workout and prepare yourself for the next day ;)

Can I do GPP WODs at home/at my local gym?

Yes! In fact, that’s what I’ve been doing since May! Some workouts are solely bodyweight exercises, so you can do them at home, but all can be done in a gym; however, you may have to modify some exercises based on what equipment is available to you. As a Certified GPP Fitness Instructor, I am educated on the modifications and substitutions for particular exercises, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. :)

Why are the WOD’s short?

Like I have mentioned in previous posts, GPP’s mandate is minimalism, so the workouts only incorporate what is necessary and not one thing more. The duration of the WOD’s range, but most are between 20 – 30 minutes. GPP WOD’s are efficient and effective, so you can go live your life and not spend hours in a gym. Remember, GPP Fitness’s mission is to reap the benefits of life while avoiding pitfalls and you wouldn’t be able to reap all of the benefits of your life if you spent hours in a gym on a daily basis ;)

At GPP we tell our clients to remember that our workouts should act like our servants. They are meant to serve us. We do not serve our workouts! :D

Is there rest days included?

The programming done for GPP runs Monday through Friday, so we recommend 5 days a week; therefore, if your goal is optimal health, completing the GPP WOD’s posted Monday through Friday will help you achieve that.

Do you need to be “super fit” to do GPP?

No, you do not need to be “super fit” to do GPP WOD’s. If GPP is new to you it is advised that you cut the WOD in half. So, ½ the RX rounds, reps, and weight.

For an example, if you were to do the Fab 50 WOD you would do 25 reps of each exercise instead of 50, 10 – 15 lbs./15 – 20 lbs. (female/male) for tick tocks instead of 25/35, and 5 – 8 lbs./10 lbs. (female/male) for swipers instead of 15/20.

Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 8.04.38 AM

I use this WOD as an example because it was the very first GPP WOD I did and I have to admit that I chuckled at the fact I was being told to do 25 reps instead of 50. I was more than confident that I could handle 50 reps of ab exercises; however, GPP WOD’s are no joke. I struggled completing 25 reps! So, let go of your ego and half the WODs for 2 – 8 weeks.

What if I don’t know what an exercise is?

All exercises are linked to a YouTube video, so you are able to see what is expected of you and how to perform it properly. Most of the videos are done and demonstrated by GPPers themselves, which I love! For an example, Candice is demonstrating rows using her upper body only in this video

and Janetha is demonstrating plyo box jumps in this video.

I hope this answered all of the questions you had about GPP, but if there are more please feel free to ask me in the comment section below! :)

GPP is my passion, so I am willing to share my knowledge with you!

Did you find today’s post informative? Are there more questions you have for me?

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I wonder if GPP will come to Australia. I didn’t know exactly what GPP was all about so this was a good post to read.

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

so happy i could introduce it to you :) <3

Linz @ Itz Linz August 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM

great post! i’ve said it before but i’ll say it again: i LOVE what gpp is all about!!

Molly August 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks Meg. You did a great job answering all of my questions! You are so knowledgeable.

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

thank you so much for sending me that email, babe :) i really appreciated it <3

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables August 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

This is so helpful Meg! I’ve been looking for a new workout, so maybe I’ll give this one a try!

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

omg you totally should :D let me know if you do <3 omg i wish we lived in the same city! we could train together!

Liz August 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think you mean GPP Fitness is trademarked. That isn’t a “certification in itself”, it merely protects the GPP Fitness name and brand. I think what the asker meant is whether it was recognized by any of the personal training boards (don’t know what they are, but they exist) as its own specialized certifiable fitness program.

Meg August 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I actually meant exactly what I had written. I emailed the question to GPP trainers at the Utah location and that is the exact answer they gave me.

Hannah August 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Liz, I was one of the people who asked about that, and that’s precisely what I meant, thank you! There are a few fitness personal training boards in the US that are recognised by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), the American Council of Exercise (ACE) is one, but I’m not sure what the others are called. But, anyway, in a way Meg’s explanation does address the original question, in that it seems to suggest that GPP Fitness is not formally recongised by one of the official certifying boards, so people who are ‘certified’ in GPP Fitness training are presumably certified by the owners of the trademark GPP Fitness, meaning that the certification is only formally recognised by them. Well, that’s what I got from that explanation anyway. Is that correct Meg?

Also, just for anyone’s general interest, this is pretty useful on certification in the US fitness industry (from the American Council of Exercise, one of the bodies accredited by the NCCA):

Liz August 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Then they are wrong :)

Meg August 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I wouldn’t say they are “wrong”, Liz :) Perhaps they didn’t fully understand the question Hannah asked me a few days ago. I will try to get the answer you are looking for as soon as possible. Thank you.

lindsay August 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

gosh i miss these workouts (in group setting). So proud of you and EXCITED! thanks for explaining it all.

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

thanks for always being so proud of me ;)

Elle August 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I am definitely intrigued and will be having a look at the site. Thanks for the explanations – you do make it sound very appealing.

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

it is amazing ;)

Liz August 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Hannah, I think you are entirely correct. Thanks for clarifying!

Kelsey Yoki August 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’m so intrigued by GPP, and happy that you have all this energy to share it in your corner of the blog world!

Cait @ PieceOfCait August 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thank you so much for sharing all your insight! <3 I love short, effective workouts! : )

Meg August 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM