The Best Weekend at Home

The Best Weekend at Home

The Best Weekend at Home

August 22, 2013 | Uncategorized | 41 Comments

Do you ever read one of my posts and get shivers because you can relate so intensely to the exact situation I’m going through or emotion I am feeling?

I love coming across those posts. It’s like you experienced the exact same thing that the author of the blog is describing.

Yesterday I read a post from Clare that I could relate so incredibly much to that it was like she took the words right out of my mouth. Her post was about the changes she experienced during her last week at home recently and I could relate so much to her words because I myself experienced many of the same changes she did when I visited home just this past weekend.

DSC_0841

I’m always really excited to visit my parents in Saskatchewan. Living 30 hours away from them isn’t easy, but when it is time to visit them throughout the year, I usually become very stressed despite my amount of excitement.

Not this time, though. This time things were very different.

Some of the changes I noticed were:

– Weeks before the actual visit, my boyfriend and I couldn’t stop talking about our mini vacation to my parents house. We were both ecstatic. It was all we talked about before leaving. Usually, I wouldn’t have been nearly this excited. I would have thought such a quick trip (we were only at my parents’ house for two full days) more of a nuisance than anything.

– I enjoyed the days of travel. In the past, I hated the five hour plane ride and three hour layover, but this time I didn’t mind it at all. It didn’t bother me nor did it stress me out. I took both days of travel (Friday and Monday) as days off from working out and I still didn’t feel the need to walk laps around the airport because I had been “sitting all day.” Instead, I relaxed and enjoyed every moment.

– I didn’t stress about going to the gym while I was at home. This used to be a big one for me. I always had to by a guest pass to a gym in the city, but not this time. This time I didn’t schedule my holiday around the gym and when I had to workout. My boyfriend and I did a GPP workout in my parents’ basement on Saturday morning, but then I took the rest of the time I was there off from working out. This would have never happened in the past. I wouldn’t have done a workout in my parents’ basement. I always felt that I “needed” a gym.

– I didn’t stress about meals. Over the course of the weekend, we went to the beach, barbecued lunch on the shore, ate out at a restaurant, and hosted a few family dinners and not once did I stress about if there was going to be food available for me to eat. I ate what was served and thoroughly enjoyed every morsel. At times I even ate way beyond the point of being comfortably full just because my Dad’s cooking was so damn good ;)

DSC_0519

– I didn’t argue with my parents. Even though I do consider both of my parents to be my best friends, we still have our arguments, but not this time. We didn’t argue once. Usually an argument will brew up when trying to plan a day because I used to be so persistent on when and what I ate as well as when and where I worked out, but, yet again, those two things were not an issue this time. When visiting my parents this time, things were stress free and there was no reason for arguments to begin.

– I walked around the beach with confidence while wearing my bikini. I walked along the entire beach and throughout the campground in my bikini. I usually am not confident enough to do this and always cover up my upper body with a t-shirt, but not this time. I was proud of my body, the weight I’ve gained, as well as the confidence, and loved that I could walk around the beach with just a bikini on.

I think a lot of this progress has to do with regaining my health and becoming confident with who I am. Life is so less stressful now and I love it. I am able to go with the flow and just live.

And that’s exactly how it should be.

Here’s to enjoying more good times and progress!

Have you noticed progress in yourself lately? In what ways?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

41 Comments

Nikki @ grab your kicks

August 22, 2013

Yah Meg!! Good for you! Yesterday was just too damn hot, so I ran in my sports bra and shorts. Normally I would never do that, but exercising regularly has definitely given me more confidence. I also went to the gym in short shorts (mostly because I all my gym clothes were in the laundry). I didn’t care what other people thought and felt confident with my body. YAH!

August 30, 2013

yay for confidence! good for you girl! xoxo

Stephanie Tucci

August 22, 2013

Girl! You seem to be in such a happy place and I am so excited for you, way to go! You should be so proud of yourself xoxo

August 30, 2013

thanks, sis :) i am really happy and you’ve helped me so much <3 so blessed to have you in my life! i sure hope we can skype soon <3

Yes, life is definitely more enjoyable when you’re not stressing about meals and getting to the gym, isn’t it? I can relate…been there, done that…and I’m so glad I’m past it. I can truly enjoy the time with my family and friends without stressing about dumb little things. Keep it up!

August 30, 2013

thanks for the support, Ashley :) it means so much to me seeing a comment from you <3

Lindsay

August 22, 2013

Good for you!! Isn’t it funny how many aspects of your life that one “little thing” affected? I was the same way and you don’t even realize it until you pull through. I hope (and feel certain) that your family noticed and encouraged you!

August 30, 2013

my family is amazing :) they definitely notice how well i am doing now :)

peaceloveandoats

August 22, 2013

I totally related to Clare’s post as well! And I’m glad you had such a great and care free time at home! It’s so nice not to freak out about what we’re eating or if we can get in a workout, isn’t it?

August 30, 2013

YES! oh girl. YES YES YES!

Brittany

August 22, 2013

Wow, I love this post. It seems like a simple thing to just enjoy life and be confident about yourself but as we all know it’s definitely not always that easy!! Glad to hear you are genuinely enjoying life and feeling good about yourself!

thanks, Brittany :)

Serena

August 22, 2013

Heh, I wish I could relate to these feelings too, instead of having the worst relapse since starting recovery…
    But well, I always knew it wasn’t going to be a straight road, and you also had a long way to go to get where you are now. You’re definitely my inspiration! I’m happy for you :)

August 30, 2013

Aw, Serena, sorry to hear about your relapse <3 no the journey to being recovered isn’t easy, but I have faith in you and am always here to support you <3

I’m so happy for you! I love seeing all your cute photos of Facebook : )

I totally feel you- I have changed and grown so much in the past 2 years. I no longer let food run my life and I own my own business now!

Go us : )

xoxo

Jocelyn

August 30, 2013

WOOOOHOO!!!!! YEAH GIRL! Go youuuuu! We need to catch up! We should get each other’s cell #’s and text and catch up! I miss u

OH!!! I’m so glad for you sis! We don’t realize how much these things hold us back from living life! You are gorgeous! xoxo

August 30, 2013

Thanks sis! p.s. i really miss chatting! maybe a facetime date soon!?

Corinne @ body got soul

August 22, 2013

I can relate to this – my husband and I used to have far more arguments than we do now about food. The main reason in the change has been me learning how to relax and feel comfortable in more eating situations. It makes such a big difference being able to relax and let go of rules. Suddenly life becomes more colourful!

August 30, 2013

so true, corinne! food rules are so silly :D we don’t need them! kick ‘em to the curb :D

Clare @ Fitting It All In

August 22, 2013

I am SO SO proud of you!! and us!!! <3<3

i am proud of us too :)

Ali

August 22, 2013

so happy for you chick!! looks like u had a great weekend!!

thanks, girl :) nice hearing from you <3

Jaclyn

August 22, 2013

Congratulations, Meg! You’ve been working hard and it’s wonderful to see how well you’re doing. Love from a fellow Ontarian,
    xo

awwww you’re so sweet! thanks, girl <3

Emily

August 22, 2013

I can relate to this so so so SO much. Isn’t it an amazing feeling?
    I look back and feel ridiculous for ever putting food and exercise before my family. Going home is such a different experience now and I love every single minute of it.
    As always, I’m really proud of you and how much you’ve grown over the past year. It’s beautiful to witness! And you’re going to look back at this post a year from now and have grown even more!

PS: I’m glad that your parents love your boyfriend so much! <3

August 30, 2013

i am so proud of you, too, sis! you have come so far and it definitely doesn’t go unnoticed <3

Linz @ Itz Linz

August 23, 2013

good for you girl!!!! and you’re beautiful, no matter what!!

August 30, 2013

thanks lovie :) ugh i miss u so much

So happy for you, Meg!! <3 You're adorable. Muah!

August 30, 2013

awwww baby i miss you! thank you for your support! i could totally go for an annette hug right now <3 i love uuuuu

Elizabeth

August 23, 2013

Yes- this post gave me chills— because I’m so happy for you!! Love that you had such a great trip! :)

awwwww you’re so supportive :D thanks so much, honey <3

Meg!! This was so wonderful to read!! Slowly I recognize changes in my trips home. A LOT less stress. Although I am not quite in the mindset that you’re at now, I can feel the progress. Its so nice :)

way to go on the progress, babe :) i am so proud of you <3

I am so glad you had such a wonderful weekend at home! Stressing less over the small thing, especially when you are with family or friends and can’t necessarily control the plans, just makes everything so much more enjoyable. I love the shot of you and your boy, cutest couple award. ;-)

August 30, 2013

awwww cutest couple award? ;) i’ll have to let him know haha <3!!!!

Cath

August 25, 2013

Girl, why you be eating before anyone else even has food on the plate?????!

August 26, 2013

I was plating my meal just as my Uncle who was sitting right beside me is?

21. Pingback: Tuesday Truths