Choconut Oolong Chia Oats Parfait

by Meg on November 6, 2013

I am always a bit fearful when it comes to making parfaits. I never know if it will layer properly, look pretty, photograph nicely, etc. However, I’ve been able to create a couple of really good parfaits lately and am pretty proud of them. I shared my recipe for my Persimmon Ginger Pumpkin Pie Peanut Butter Chia Pudding Parfait with you a few weeks ago, which was the first parfait I had made in a while. The ones previous to this were my Raspberry and Yogurt Parfait and Chocolate Brownie and Raspberry Parfait, which are great recipes, but now that I’m a bit more experienced with recipe development, my more recent parfaits have been much more impressive.

1459153_10153431705845497_983671334_n

Although today’s parfait doesn’t look strange, it is definitely strange but good. As I’ve stated before, chia pudding is definitely strange but good. I also think that cooking with tea is a bit strange, too, and today’s recipe features Choconut Oolong tea, which is the tea I reviewed in yesterday’s Tea Tuesday post.

This strange but good chia oat parfait tastes like dessert. The two layers of sweet chocolatey Greek yogurt and nutty chocolate chia tea oats pair perfectly with one another. It makes a perfect breakfast and provided me with a great amount of energy to fuel me throughout yesterday’s workout. I went heavy on my squats and my run went by like a breeze!

Choconut Oolong Chia Oats Parfait

Serves 1

Ingredients:

For the Greek yogurt layer:
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
1 TBSP cocoa
1/2 – 1 scoop protein powder, optional (I used 1 scoop)

For the chia oats layer:
1 c Choconut Oolong tea*
3 TBSP chia seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats

cocoa nibs, optional

Directions:

The night before serving (or at least 30 minutes prior to serving), combine all ingredients for chia oats in a mason jar or sealed container. Allow to sit overnight or for as long as possible.

In the morning, prepare your Greek yogurt by combing with cocoa and protein powder.

Begin to layer your parfait by creating a base with the Greek yogurt mixture. Continue to layer until each mixture is used up. Top with cocoa nibs or toppings of your choice. Serve.

*If you do not have Choconut Oolong tea leaves, you can use any 1 c of liquid of your choice. A good sub here would be chocolate almond milk or any chocolate flavoured tea you enjoy.

This recipe will appear in Laura’s Strange But Good link up on Friday

sprint2table-strangebutgood-GREEN-2

Did you enjoy today’s recipe? Do you like making parfaits or do you find them a bit intimidating, too?

Linz @ Itz Linz November 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

you’re so creative! and this looks fantastic!! :)

Yoojin November 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

i actually “cook” with tea often! i use different teas in smoothies & soups instead of almond milk and broth :)
i see it as an extra way to get in the tea’s health benefits!

Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician November 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Looks so so good!! I’m not intimidated by parfaits- I just never think to make them… You’ve inspired me!

Jody - Fit at 55 November 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

WOW – delish!!!!!!! Thank you for the sub info too since I am not a tea fan – sorry! ;) Looks amazing!!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have a hard time drinking tea or coffee. I just can’t finish it for some reason! BUT I do love cooking oats in coffee and tea (hence my tiramisu parfait). Love the chocolate flavor you used! I think I have a Tevana gift certificate to use…

Lisa November 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

This looks absolutely delicious!! :-)

Livi November 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

yum! you’re so creative with your breakfasts!

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite November 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

dang this is SUPER creative!!! I’m going to try some version of this for breakfast tomorrow morning

Jenny @ simply be me November 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I love making overnight oats, especially in the summer when I can layer them with banana soft-serve!

Allison November 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

yumm!!! that looks awesome!! && that workout was a tough mainly because OH squats may not be my favorite/ I don’t ever do them!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Today’s breakfast post by me on Instagram should show you that I love parfaits ;)

This recipe looks so so good!! Thanks for sharing <3

GiGi Eats Celebrities November 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM

This is so interesting looking! Is it weird that I think I have only had a parfait ONCE before in my life? I am not sure I was a fan for the sole reason that it was hard to get to the bottom! ha ha ha ha!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM

I don’t know if it is because of the breakfast challenge or you are just amazing, but your meals keep getting more and more creative. I love using tea in place of water when making things puddings and oats, and I also love cooking with it!