Chocolate Orange Chia Pudding Bowl

by Meg on December 4, 2013

I hope you’re not getting tired of new chia pudding recipes because today I have another.

This recipe involves flavours of chocolate and sweet, juicy oranges.

With Christmas approaching, I couldn’t help but think of Terry’s Chocolate Oranges when enjoying this chia pudding combination. It’s what inspired it, actually. Those chocolate oranges were my favourite Christmas treat (besides my Grandma’s baking of course) around this time of year.

I love combining yogurt and chia pudding together. The textures are so interesting together, so I do it quite often, but it is up to you. If you wanted a dairy free version, simply leave the yogurt out of the recipe. It’s really just an aside component.

1467481_10153527618365497_1586941388_n

Chocolate Orange Chia Pudding Bowl

Serves 1

Ingredients:

For the chia pudding:
1 cup almond milk
3 TBSP chia seeds
1 TBSP cacao powder
liquid stevia, optional*

*For a more “dark chocolate” flavour, leave out the stevia. I’ve tried it both ways and I enjoy it without the stevia best.

Toppings:
1 Christmas orange, tangerine, clementine, etc., peeled and segmented
cacao nibs

1 cup plain Greek yogurt (leave out for dairy free option)

Directions:

Mix almond milk, chia seeds, cacao powder, and stevia together. Allow mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. I usually allow my chia puddings to sit overnight.

When ready to serve, pour chia pudding onto one side of a bowl and fill the other side with Greek yogurt. Top with orange segments and cacao nibs. Serve and enjoy.

Do you like the chocolate-orange combination? What are your favourite Christmas treats? Are there any chia pudding flavour combinations you would like me to develop a recipe for?

Linz @ Itz Linz December 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM

another chia pudding?? AWESOME SAUCE! you really take the most gorgeous and creative food pictures – love love love and love love love you! xo

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I have never tried the chocolate and orange combination.

There are way too many cookie treats that I love for the holiday season! It is one of the hardest times for me for that reason :)

Jody - Fit at 56 December 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have tried the choc with orange stevia in a couple things & the flavors mix well!!!

COOKIES FOR ME!!!! Love this time of year for the gingerbread & molasses cookies!

Mary @ Fit and Fed December 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hi Meg! Keep the chia coming, I am paying more attention to getting my omega 3′s and sprinkle chia, hemp seeds, and walnut onto my breakfast (soy) yogurt and fruit bowl. I’m not sure what’s my favorite holiday treat but right now I’m sure enjoying some dark chocolate peppermint bark that we have around.

lindsay December 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

i love this combo. SO under rated too! zesty, savory, and sweet! YUM!!

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I remember when I was little, my Swiss babysitter got some orange chocolate sent to her and she shared with me, it was UTTER BLISS! That was the only time I ever tried that flavor combo, but I was a clear fan, considering I STILL REMEMBER that moment! lol!

purelytwins December 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

mmmm making us want to go make a chia seed pudding up right now ;) sounds delicious!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I love choc orange together!! This looks so delicious. I love how pretty the picture is for it too ;)

Bring on more chia recipes I say!!