Ch-ch-ch-ch-chiaaaa!

by Meg on December 11, 2013

If my love for chia wasn’t obvious to you yet, I hope today’s title clarifies things for you ;)

Over the past few months, I’ve started to incorporate chia seeds into my diet more and more. Now, I typically have one meal per day involving chia seeds. Usually, this meal is my breakfast on the days I get up early and go to the gym before class, but I also love incorporating chia seeds in other ways throughout my day!

1467481_10153527618365497_1586941388_n

Chia seeds are most definitely a superfood. They are nutrient dense and offer so many health benefits!

They are exceptionally high in fibre, loaded with antioxidants, contain amounts of omega 3 fatty acids worth bragging about, and are a complete protein!

Fibre stabilizes blood sugar levels, keeps you regular, and keeps you satiated! So, chia seeds are a great component to add into your diet if you experience issues with your blood sugar levels or experience constipation.

Antioxidants prevent free radical damage in your body and chia seeds contain more antioxidants than blueberries, another food very high in antioxidants! Try my Overnight Blueberry Chia Pudding for a antioxidant packed breakfast!

Omega 3 fatty acids are essential in our diet and chia seeds contain more omega 3 fatty acids, by weight, than salmon!

Chia seeds contain more calcium than milk, more potassium than bananas, and more iron than spinach!

No wonder I try to add these little seeds into my diet almost every day ;)

Chia seeds also have the ability to absorb 9 – 10 times their weight in water, which is how I enjoy them most often! When chia seeds absorb water (or another liquid like almond milk), they form a “gel” or “pudding”, which makes a tasty breakfast or snack!

574564_10153476605970497_818139273_n

I have plenty of chia recipes for you to try! Just check out my Food page! All of my chia pudding recipes can be found under the “Breakfast” heading, but today I will share my go to chia pudding recipe with you.

I’ve been asked a few times lately what my “base recipe” is and this is a very good question because I always have my chia pudding base recipe ready and waiting for me in my refrigerator and then add ingredients accordingly. So, here it is!

Chia Pudding Base Recipe

Serves 1

1 cup almond milk (or liquid of your choice)
3 TBSP chia seeds

Mix ingredients together and allow chia seeds to absorb liquid. I usually allow mine to sit overnight.

Personally, I find this to be the best liquid to chia seed ratio. I like my chia puddings on the thicker side, but that’s just me!

Once I have this recipe made, then I get creative and add anything my heart desires! Apples, oranges, persimmons, pecans, figs, pears, tea, bananas, cottage cheese - anything goes!

What would you put in your chia pudding? Is there a recipe you’d like me to create for you? What is your favourite way to use chia seeds?

Other great ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet are:

- Sprinkled on top your yogurt
- Blended into your smoothies
- Mixed into your cereal or oats
- Sprinkled on top of your salad
- Mixed into your baked goods
- Mixed into pureed fruits to make a “jam”

1454829_10153574434050497_1369734157_n

Linz @ Itz Linz December 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM

i love chia seeds! just put some in my banana peanut butter smoothie!!

Livi December 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I love Chia with bananas, and apples– so good!

peaceloveandoats December 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Ah I really need to make some chia pudding, I keep meaning to but I haven’t gotten to it!

mallory December 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Great post! I love chia in oatmeal, smoothies, and most recently your chia pudding!

Ang @ Nutty for Life December 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

My family always makes fun of me for eating chia seeds. Out of all the weird stuff I eat they cling to that. But chia seeds are such a power food! They’re the weird ones for not jumping on the chia train, choo choooo.

She Rocks Fitness December 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I LOVE my chia seeds and like you I typically add them every morning to my breakfast! Currently eating them in my overnight oat bran with cranberries and nut butter. NOM NOM! Great post darling! XOXO

Jody - Fit at 56 December 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

LOVE chia & learned from Carla/Mizfit! It is so easy to use – my simplest is mixing it in my nut butters – love! I also put in oatmeal, turkey meatloaf, yogurt & more – love your ideas!!! I even put it in coffee for a coffee pudding one time! :) So good for you too!!!!

Kelsey December 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I would love a festive Holiday chia pudding recipe incorporating gingergbread somehow :)

Meg December 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I do have a gingerbread one using gingerbread tea ;) here is the recipe! :D http://adashofmeg.com/2013/11/26/tea-tuesday-gingerbread/

Kelsey December 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Well…I’m blind. Sorry :) Making that for a snack tomorrow!

Christa @ Edible Balance December 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Oh girrrrrl, you know I love my chia!! I recently made a warm savory version that was seriously amazing. They are so incredibly versatile and delicious! I need to make your apple one very soon… I love that you warm up the apple first, my stomach can’t handle them raw. Ground chia in my millet porridge is another favorite use. I tend to add it after it’s all done cooking to keep more of the nutrients in tact, rather than adding while cooking.

Great post darling! xoxo

Meg December 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I have never made a savoury chia pudding yet, love! Send some recipes my way! I love that we are so passionate about chia <3 definitely try my apple :D

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Thanks for sharing this! This is defintiely something that I have been wanting to try for awhile now :).

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I love using chia seeds in overnight oats. I also love having them mixed in with yoghurt and other seeds and dried fruit.

I love all the recipes you’ve made to date :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables December 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I have GOT to try chia seed pudding!! I still haven’t yet!

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I haven’t jumped on the CHIA bandwagon as of yet! I have heard mixed reviews, but I guess I just need to try it myself, RIGHT?!?!

lindsay December 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

chia is such a power house food! i love it for these very reasons my fellow nerd twin! great recipe. xxoo

Holly December 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Chia is my favorite!! I just had some plain greek yogurt with cottage cheese, french vanilla stevia, a little bit of white chocolate protein powder and chia for my morning snack! Yummo!!!