Vitamix Love and My Ever Best Recipe

by Meg on January 2, 2014

I had no idea I’d be opening up a present revealing a Vitamix on Christmas morning this year.

DSC_3603

No idea.

It was on the top of my Christmas wish list, but I still didn’t think I’d actually get it. I had been wanting a Vitamix for the past 5 years or so, but I always said it “wasn’t necessary” when my parents asked me if I really wanted it.

I like to make do with the things I already have, so I always told them I was fine using my Nutribullet, but deep down I always did want a Vitamix. Luckily, I have one now and I no longer have to deal with my Nutribullet :D The Nutribullet just doesn’t have enough power for the stuff I blend up, so it was quite the task when making my Sweet Potato Milkshakes ;)

1488250_10153656324660497_433993371_n

Speaking of my Sweet Potato Milkshake, since creating that recipe, only a few days have past that I didn’t make it. It’s that good! It’s my favourite way to refuel after my workouts, but also a great snack!

1479506_10153642595580497_1586322832_n

It tastes just like chocolate ice cream, which is pretty hard not to love. It even has Eddie’s and my Mom’s approval! ;)

I’ve tweaked the recipe since posting it last and since it was the first recipe I made with my Vitamix, I thought I’d share it with you today. So, here is the new, updated recipe of my original Sweet Potato Chocolate Milkshake. If you haven’t tried this recipe yet, give it a try now! And if you tried the original version, test out the new version – it uses frozen sweet potato (and a bigger portion!) to give you a more “ice-creamy” texture!

Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream

Serves 1

2 cups cubed frozen baked sweet potato (bake sweet potato in advance, cube, and freeze)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups ice
1 scoop protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 tbsp cacao powder

Blend and serve!

Do you have a Vitamix? What is your favourite recipe to make with your Vitamix? Have you tried my sweet potato milkshake/ice cream recipe yet?

Have a great day and don’t forget about High Five Friday! Email me your high fives to adashofmeg@gmail.com if you haven’t done so yet :D

Love,

Brittany@twosaucysisters January 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I AM SO JEALOUS YOU HAVE A VITAMIX!!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I am so lucky :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Snap! I got a Vitamix for Christmas too. I cannot wait to start using it – enjoy!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

You too, Jemma :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

YAY on the Vitamix! What a fun Christmas gift! My parents got a Ninja for Christmas from my sister and I. I love mine so much so I hope they really like theirs. :) And totally going to try making this because it always looks so good!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Let me know when you try it, love :) <3

Allie January 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM

omgosh!! I saw this on instagram and was quickly intrigued, now it just sounds even more amazing! I must make this asap!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Let me know when you give it a try :D

Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans January 2, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I never would have thought to freeze sweet potato! What a great idea – sounds so good!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM

It makes it extra thick :)

peaceloveandoats January 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Woooohoooo Vitamix!!!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Best ever, right? :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I am going to have to try this out!! Your face is priceless in that picture! I don’t have a Vitamix but I do have a Ninja blender and it is pretty awesome! I have a spare sweet potato so I think I will be preparing it tonight and freezing it to try this soon!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Perfect :) I hope you enjoy :)

Allison January 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Ok so I’ve heard you talk about your sweet potato smoothies before but now that I see your recipe I WILL BE TRYING THESE!!! I have a huge dislike for bananas which is the base for so many “fro-yo” recipes so this will likely be my new go to!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I like this version much better than the banana ones :)

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I’d love a Vitamix. And a Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer! Annnnd an espresso maker and a Keurig. All of which are on my wedding registry, but I doubt I’ll get any of them except the Kitchen-Aid! ;)

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I hope you get every thing you ask for :) <3

Megan (The Lyons' Share) January 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I LOVE your face when you’re opening the Vitamix! It probably looks similar to how mine looked, last Christmas when I had been asking for a Vitamix (but also thought there was NO chance I would get it). We celebrated Christmas at my parents’ house, and I got one … I was SO thrilled but my husband didn’t look too thrilled for some reason. When we got home, he pulled a large box out of the closet, and said “what do you think is in here?!?”. They had BOTH gotten me the Vitamix, and didn’t even tell each other because both thought it was so unlikely! Hope you continue to love it!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! What a story :D I love it!

Dana January 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Ah! I must try this. I love my Vitamix and I know you will love yours too. Congratulations.

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Thanks Dana :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Love me some smoothies – I’ve made a very similar version before and can vouch for the delicious flavor. Lucky girl with that new Vitamix!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I am very lucky ;)

Hairspray 59 January 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Hi Meg
I too like to freeze most of my ingredients especially all my fruit it turns out sooo good. But Sweet Potato Milkshakes Gotta try it today.
Thanks

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Let me know what you think!! :)

Hairspray59 January 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Hi Meg

Tried the Sweet Potato Smoothie recipe over the weekend and it was GREAT !!!! I have a sweet tooth so I prefer fruit smoothies. But this has a nice chocolate sweetness unlike vegetable smoothies that I don’t care for. This gets a A+ from me.

Thanks, Hairspray59

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I like A+ ;) Thanks for letting me know you approve :D

clare @ fitting it all in January 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM

you lucky duck! def on my some day wish list! i know you’ll make such great things with it!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

WOW CLARE :D so great to hear from you :D I got all giddy seeing your comment! :D I miss our chats! I hope you get a Vitamix some day soon! You so deserve it!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Congrats on the Vitamix! I would have had the SAME reaction ;). Also, this milkshake sounds pretty much fantastic since I LOVE sweet potatoes and chocolate. I’ll definitely be trying this out, but in my Ninja ;).

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Let me know how you like it, girl :D

Kels January 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM

This is such a dumb question, but I’m assuming that you prep a lot of sweet taters at once, how do you store them in the freezer? I feel sooo wasteful putting each serving in a baggie but can’t find a better way to do it!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

that’s exactly how I do it ;)

Ellie January 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

If you want a less wasteful and more environmentally friendly way to do it, Kels, here’s what I do with any fruit or veg that I freeze for blending in smoothies etc. Cut in pieces and spread on a tray (you can line it with greaseproof paper if you like, and this can be reused for further freezing), place tray in freezer for a few hours. Once the fruit or veg are frozen, transfer to a large plastic container. I’ve got one big plastic box in my freezer that has mango, banana, avocado, and pumpkin pieces in it, but since they’ve been frozen separately on a tray they don’t stick together, so it’s easy to just take as much as I need each time I want to make a smoothie or frozen treat. That way you don’t use any non-reusable plastic, plus I find the fruit/veggies collect less ice crystals when not in a plastic bag (though perhaps that’s just me). :)

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM

thanks for the great idea Ellie! :D

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM

What a pleasant surprise gift! can’t wait to see what you do with it … now I’ll want one.

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I am hoping to share a lot of recipes this year, Kate :D

Jody - Fit at 56 January 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

You lucky devil! :) I have a bullet too so I can’t make a lot of the recipes out there. :( Yours looks amazing! A great holiday for you!!!!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM

It definitely was! :D

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I just got a Ninja Ultima Blender for Christmas! It works to the exact same capacity and quality as a Vitamix or Blentec and it was only $250! I am so grateful for it and have been using it like crazyyyy!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Congrats!

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM

DUDE! I created a bomb recipe 2 weeks ago, and I have been eating it for lunch ever since, LOL!!! So I feel you on deliciousness! ;)

We got my sister’s husband a VitaMix too!!!!!! So amazing. When he opened the box, I won’t lie to you, I was a TAD BIT……. ENVIOUS! ;)

MERRY NEW YEAR!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM

What was the recipe!? It must be amazing :D

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

It’s just baked pumpkin with sun warrior protein (vanilla) and some baking stevia and some vanilla extract :) – I bake it in muffin tins or just on some tin foil, it’s heaven! ha ha ah!

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

sounds wonderful :D

purelytwins January 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM

yay for vitamix!!! we love ours!!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM

i will need to try some of your vitamin recipes!? yes?? ;)

Corinne January 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I love the first photo. Your parents just look so happy to see your reaction – it’s lovely! I have never heard of a sweet potato milkshake before, but it looks super yum. Got to give it a go soon!

Meg January 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I know! I LOVE my Mom’s face :D It looks like she’s laughing so hard :D I LOVE IT! Let me know when you try it girl xo

Dolce @ Faith Sprinkles January 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM

One word: YUM. That looks and sounds SO GOOD. Although I don’t have a vitamix, I will do my best to make it in my lil old blender ;)

Meg January 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Sounds great girl! I have a feeling you’ll love it :D

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

What an awesome gift! I LOVE my vitamix! I like to make smoothies extra thick then top them with granola. So good!

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

mmmmm thick smoothies are the best ;) and granola adds such a nice crunch :D

Lauren January 2, 2014 at 11:48 PM

SO JEALOUS. I’m dying to get a vitamix. I almost bought a nutribullet or ninja pro but think I should save my money for what I really want-the vitamix! Maybe I’ll get surprised one day. I seriously need to try your sweet potato smoothie recipe too because it always looks like the best smoothie ever. And I love ice cream.

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM

i like the think it’s the best smoothie ever ;) and i’d say save for the vitamix ;) it’s totally worth it!

STUFT Mama January 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Oh heck yes to your sweet potato ice cream AND your Vitamix! It’s a life changer! Yay. So glad you got one! Happy New Year!

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM

thanks girl :D so great to hear from you <3 love you so much – happy 2014 <3

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope January 3, 2014 at 4:54 AM

LOL at that first photo… too adorable! I am so jealous!!!!! Really neat recipe too – I need to try that out with my (very boring ;) ) blender haha!

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM

let me know when you try it love :D i have it pretty much every day ;) every day i workout for sure :)

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist January 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

YES! I now have a Vitamix!!! WooHoo!!!!
I have made almond milk, oat milk, smoothies, protein shakes, honey cashew butter, oat flour…
I’m attached to it. Don’t make me leave the house without it! It’s too sad!! :)

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM

hahahahaha isn’t it the best thing ever babe!? i need to start making my own nut milks with it

Mitchell January 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Unbelievably jealous! My small but humble stick blender has seen me through some tough times, but all I could ever dream about is a vitamix! I remember the first video tutorial I watched with it being used, and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I heard the sound of it being switched on.

I thought ‘Now THAT’S a blender!’ :P

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM

hahaha! i really need to become more educated on it so i can utilize all it’s functions :D

Alexandra January 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I tried your old recipe and it BLEW my mind and my mouth. Gotta try the new one ASAP :)

Meg January 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM

do it!!!!!! :D i’m having it today too ;)

Maggie February 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Hi Meg! I am shopping for a vitamix now, but am so conflicted on which model to buy! there are so many kinds! What one do you have/would recommend?

Meg February 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

oooooooo good question!!!!!!! i do not know which i have – my parents bought it for me! but i love the one i have!!!! i think ANY vitamix would be amazing

Dr. Adam Kipp June 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM

This looks tasty! I use my Vitamix just about every day and I’m always on the hunt for new recipes. I will definitely be giving this a try sometime soon, my girlfriend has quite the sweet tooth so I’m sure she will love it too. One of my favorite Vitamix creations is butternut squash soup, it’s awesome and I probably make it once a week. Epic facial expression as you opened your Vitamix!