hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Vitamix Love and My Ever Best Recipe

I had no idea I’d be opening up a present revealing a Vitamix on Christmas morning this year.

DSC_3603

No idea.

It was on the top of my Christmas wish list, but I still didn’t think I’d actually get it. I had been wanting a Vitamix for the past 5 years or so, but I always said it “wasn’t necessary” when my parents asked me if I really wanted it.

I like to make do with the things I already have, so I always told them I was fine using my Nutribullet, but deep down I always did want a Vitamix. Luckily, I have one now and I no longer have to deal with my Nutribullet πŸ˜€ The Nutribullet just doesn’t have enough power for the stuff I blend up, so it was quite the task when making my Sweet Potato Milkshakes πŸ˜‰

1488250_10153656324660497_433993371_n

Speaking of my Sweet Potato Milkshake, since creating that recipe, only a few days have past that I didn’t make it. It’s that good! It’s my favourite way to refuel after my workouts, but also a great snack!

1479506_10153642595580497_1586322832_n

It tastes just like chocolate ice cream, which is pretty hard not to love. It even has Eddie’s and my Mom’s approval! πŸ˜‰

I’ve tweaked the recipe since posting it last and since it was the first recipe I made with my Vitamix, I thought I’d share it with you today. So, here is the new, updated recipe of my original Sweet Potato Chocolate Milkshake. If you haven’t tried this recipe yet, give it a try now! And if you tried the original version, test out the new version – it uses frozen sweet potato (and a bigger portion!) to give you a more “ice-creamy” texture!

Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream

Serves 1

2 cups cubed frozen baked sweet potato (bake sweet potato in advance, cube, and freeze)
1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups ice
1 scoop protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 tbsp cacao powder

Blend and serve!

Do you have a Vitamix? What is your favourite recipe to make with your Vitamix? Have you tried my sweet potato milkshake/ice cream recipe yet?Β

Have a great day and don’t forget about High Five Friday! Email me your high fives to adashofmeg@gmail.com if you haven’t done so yet πŸ˜€

Love,

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

77 Comments

Brittany@twosaucysisters

January 2, 2014

I AM SO JEALOUS YOU HAVE A VITAMIX!!!

I am so lucky :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

January 2, 2014

Snap! I got a Vitamix for Christmas too. I cannot wait to start using it – enjoy!

You too, Jemma :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More

January 2, 2014

YAY on the Vitamix! What a fun Christmas gift! My parents got a Ninja for Christmas from my sister and I. I love mine so much so I hope they really like theirs. :) And totally going to try making this because it always looks so good!!

Let me know when you try it, love :) <3

Allie

January 2, 2014

omgosh!! I saw this on instagram and was quickly intrigued, now it just sounds even more amazing! I must make this asap!

January 2, 2014

Let me know when you give it a try πŸ˜€

I never would have thought to freeze sweet potato! What a great idea – sounds so good!

January 2, 2014

It makes it extra thick :)

peaceloveandoats

Woooohoooo Vitamix!!!!

Best ever, right? :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun

January 2, 2014

I am going to have to try this out!! Your face is priceless in that picture! I don’t have a Vitamix but I do have a Ninja blender and it is pretty awesome! I have a spare sweet potato so I think I will be preparing it tonight and freezing it to try this soon!

January 2, 2014

Perfect :) I hope you enjoy :)

Allison

January 2, 2014

Ok so I’ve heard you talk about your sweet potato smoothies before but now that I see your recipe I WILL BE TRYING THESE!!! I have a huge dislike for bananas which is the base for so many “fro-yo” recipes so this will likely be my new go to!

January 2, 2014

I like this version much better than the banana ones :)

I’d love a Vitamix. And a Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer! Annnnd an espresso maker and a Keurig. All of which are on my wedding registry, but I doubt I’ll get any of them except the Kitchen-Aid! πŸ˜‰

I hope you get every thing you ask for :) <3

Megan (The Lyons' Share)

January 2, 2014

I LOVE your face when you’re opening the Vitamix! It probably looks similar to how mine looked, last Christmas when I had been asking for a Vitamix (but also thought there was NO chance I would get it). We celebrated Christmas at my parents’ house, and I got one … I was SO thrilled but my husband didn’t look too thrilled for some reason. When we got home, he pulled a large box out of the closet, and said “what do you think is in here?!?”. They had BOTH gotten me the Vitamix, and didn’t even tell each other because both thought it was so unlikely! Hope you continue to love it!

January 2, 2014

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! What a story πŸ˜€ I love it!

Dana

January 2, 2014

Ah! I must try this. I love my Vitamix and I know you will love yours too. Congratulations.

Love me some smoothies – I’ve made a very similar version before and can vouch for the delicious flavor. Lucky girl with that new Vitamix!!

I am very lucky πŸ˜‰

Hairspray 59

Hi Meg
    I too like to freeze most of my ingredients especially all my fruit it turns out sooo good. But Sweet Potato Milkshakes Gotta try it today.
    Thanks

January 2, 2014

Let me know what you think!! :)

Hairspray59

January 6, 2014

Hi Meg

Tried the Sweet Potato Smoothie recipe over the weekend and it was GREAT !!!! I have a sweet tooth so I prefer fruit smoothies. But this has a nice chocolate sweetness unlike vegetable smoothies that I don’t care for. This gets a A+ from me.

Thanks, Hairspray59

January 7, 2014

I like A+ πŸ˜‰ Thanks for letting me know you approve πŸ˜€

clare @ fitting it all in

January 2, 2014

you lucky duck! def on my some day wish list! i know you’ll make such great things with it!

January 2, 2014

WOW CLARE πŸ˜€ so great to hear from you πŸ˜€ I got all giddy seeing your comment! πŸ˜€ I miss our chats! I hope you get a Vitamix some day soon! You so deserve it!

Congrats on the Vitamix! I would have had the SAME reaction ;). Also, this milkshake sounds pretty much fantastic since I LOVE sweet potatoes and chocolate. I’ll definitely be trying this out, but in my Ninja ;).

January 2, 2014

Let me know how you like it, girl πŸ˜€

Kels

January 2, 2014

This is such a dumb question, but I’m assuming that you prep a lot of sweet taters at once, how do you store them in the freezer? I feel sooo wasteful putting each serving in a baggie but can’t find a better way to do it!

January 2, 2014

that’s exactly how I do it πŸ˜‰

Ellie

January 3, 2014

If you want a less wasteful and more environmentally friendly way to do it, Kels, here’s what I do with any fruit or veg that I freeze for blending in smoothies etc. Cut in pieces and spread on a tray (you can line it with greaseproof paper if you like, and this can be reused for further freezing), place tray in freezer for a few hours. Once the fruit or veg are frozen, transfer to a large plastic container. I’ve got one big plastic box in my freezer that has mango, banana, avocado, and pumpkin pieces in it, but since they’ve been frozen separately on a tray they don’t stick together, so it’s easy to just take as much as I need each time I want to make a smoothie or frozen treat. That way you don’t use any non-reusable plastic, plus I find the fruit/veggies collect less ice crystals when not in a plastic bag (though perhaps that’s just me). :)

January 7, 2014

thanks for the great idea Ellie! πŸ˜€

Kate @ Coffee with Kate

January 2, 2014

What a pleasant surprise gift! can’t wait to see what you do with it … now I’ll want one.

January 2, 2014

I am hoping to share a lot of recipes this year, Kate πŸ˜€

Jody - Fit at 56

January 2, 2014

You lucky devil! :) I have a bullet too so I can’t make a lot of the recipes out there. :( Yours looks amazing! A great holiday for you!!!!!

It definitely was! πŸ˜€

I just got a Ninja Ultima Blender for Christmas! It works to the exact same capacity and quality as a Vitamix or Blentec and it was only $250! I am so grateful for it and have been using it like crazyyyy!

GiGi Eats Celebrities

January 2, 2014

DUDE! I created a bomb recipe 2 weeks ago, and I have been eating it for lunch ever since, LOL!!! So I feel you on deliciousness! πŸ˜‰

We got my sister’s husband a VitaMix too!!!!!! So amazing. When he opened the box, I won’t lie to you, I was a TAD BIT……. ENVIOUS! πŸ˜‰

MERRY NEW YEAR!!

January 2, 2014

What was the recipe!? It must be amazing πŸ˜€

GiGi Eats Celebrities

January 2, 2014

It’s just baked pumpkin with sun warrior protein (vanilla) and some baking stevia and some vanilla extract :) – I bake it in muffin tins or just on some tin foil, it’s heaven! ha ha ah!

January 7, 2014

sounds wonderful πŸ˜€

purelytwins

January 2, 2014

yay for vitamix!!! we love ours!!

January 2, 2014

i will need to try some of your vitamin recipes!? yes?? πŸ˜‰

Corinne

January 2, 2014

I love the first photo. Your parents just look so happy to see your reaction – it’s lovely! I have never heard of a sweet potato milkshake before, but it looks super yum. Got to give it a go soon!

January 2, 2014

I know! I LOVE my Mom’s face πŸ˜€ It looks like she’s laughing so hard πŸ˜€ I LOVE IT! Let me know when you try it girl xo

Dolce @ Faith Sprinkles

January 2, 2014

One word: YUM. That looks and sounds SO GOOD. Although I don’t have a vitamix, I will do my best to make it in my lil old blender πŸ˜‰

January 2, 2014

Sounds great girl! I have a feeling you’ll love it πŸ˜€

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome

January 2, 2014

What an awesome gift! I LOVE my vitamix! I like to make smoothies extra thick then top them with granola. So good!

January 7, 2014

mmmmm thick smoothies are the best πŸ˜‰ and granola adds such a nice crunch πŸ˜€

Lauren

January 2, 2014

SO JEALOUS. I’m dying to get a vitamix. I almost bought a nutribullet or ninja pro but think I should save my money for what I really want-the vitamix! Maybe I’ll get surprised one day. I seriously need to try your sweet potato smoothie recipe too because it always looks like the best smoothie ever. And I love ice cream.

January 7, 2014

i like the think it’s the best smoothie ever πŸ˜‰ and i’d say save for the vitamix πŸ˜‰ it’s totally worth it!

STUFT Mama

January 3, 2014

Oh heck yes to your sweet potato ice cream AND your Vitamix! It’s a life changer! Yay. So glad you got one! Happy New Year!

January 7, 2014

thanks girl πŸ˜€ so great to hear from you <3 love you so much – happy 2014 <3

LOL at that first photo… too adorable! I am so jealous!!!!! Really neat recipe too – I need to try that out with my (very boring πŸ˜‰ ) blender haha!

January 7, 2014

let me know when you try it love πŸ˜€ i have it pretty much every day πŸ˜‰ every day i workout for sure :)

YES! I now have a Vitamix!!! WooHoo!!!!
    I have made almond milk, oat milk, smoothies, protein shakes, honey cashew butter, oat flour…
    I’m attached to it. Don’t make me leave the house without it! It’s too sad!! :)

January 7, 2014

hahahahaha isn’t it the best thing ever babe!? i need to start making my own nut milks with it

Mitchell

January 3, 2014

Unbelievably jealous! My small but humble stick blender has seen me through some tough times, but all I could ever dream about is a vitamix! I remember the first video tutorial I watched with it being used, and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I heard the sound of it being switched on.

I thought ‘Now THAT’S a blender!’ πŸ˜›

January 7, 2014

hahaha! i really need to become more educated on it so i can utilize all it’s functions πŸ˜€

Alexandra

January 3, 2014

I tried your old recipe and it BLEW my mind and my mouth. Gotta try the new one ASAP :)

January 7, 2014

do it!!!!!! πŸ˜€ i’m having it today too πŸ˜‰

31. Pingback: Vitamix Features | Sherryl Rhoden

32. Pingback: Perfect Cauliflower Rice

Maggie

February 26, 2014

Hi Meg! I am shopping for a vitamix now, but am so conflicted on which model to buy! there are so many kinds! What one do you have/would recommend?

February 26, 2014

oooooooo good question!!!!!!! i do not know which i have – my parents bought it for me! but i love the one i have!!!! i think ANY vitamix would be amazing

Dr. Adam Kipp

June 12, 2014

This looks tasty! I use my Vitamix just about every day and I’m always on the hunt for new recipes. I will definitely be giving this a try sometime soon, my girlfriend has quite the sweet tooth so I’m sure she will love it too. One of my favorite Vitamix creations is butternut squash soup, it’s awesome and I probably make it once a week. Epic facial expression as you opened your Vitamix!

35. Pingback: What Is True Beauty?

36. Pingback: Top 5 Paleo Recipes (so far) | Life Bites